The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2009, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkagan View Post

ive been on the fence for a pro111fd for awhile now and now with the price drops i really want 1. but now from reading about the krp series its making me think twice. im stuck between the 111fd and the 600m. hows the PQ compare between the two?

get the 600M.

the 50" with more pixels/sq. inch maybe a little more smooth and detailed but the 44% larger screen area of the 60" models really is a huge difference.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

I think I'm confusing the word ControlCal with the word ISFccc...

the ControlCal software gives you access to the ISFccc capabilities in the Pioneer Elite/Sig models.

Those ISFccc capabilities is what gives the Elite/Sig models the ability to have expanded calibration options settings.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

The KRP-M's outside North America have ISFccc (and ControlCAL has full support).

The Standard AV selection Profile for the Monitors is near release (just a little more testing). Many have asked for it (including Pro's) since it can help cut down calibration time (i.e. adjust several Control sliders on screen vs using the RC and the User Menus)...

Also, ControlCAL is included with many CalMAN / Meter Bundles..

I'm doing other work on the North American KRP-M's (interesting findings).. never know.. stay tuned.

Turbe out!

Hello Turbe,

I have been considering the 111/151/141 Pioneers for quite some time but the price is a real turn off for me until I discovered the North American KRP-M's. I came real close to purchasing the 600M (actually had one on back order) until I read the many reports from Elite/Signature owners who were raving about their post calibration results.

I am a little confused about your post but can you or anyone else please clarify what The Standard AV selection Profile is? Does this mean that KRP-M's will soon have the same calibration capabilities of the Elite/Signature panels? If not, do you see any possibility that the ISF Day/Night/Auto modes will soon be unlocked on the KRP-M's allowing them the same calibration capabilities of the Elite/Signatures?

This would be thrilling news as I would immediately jump back on board. Many Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligg View Post

Hello Turbe,

I have been considering the 111/151/141 Pioneers for quite some time but the price is a real turn off for me until I discovered the North American KRP-M's. I came real close to purchasing the 600M (actually had one on back order) until I read the many reports from Elite/Signature owners who were raving about their post calibration results.

I am a little confused about your post but can you or anyone else please clarify what The Standard AV selection Profile is? Does this mean that KRP-M's will soon have the same calibration capabilities of the Elite/Signature panels? If not, do you see any possibility that the ISF Day/Night/Auto modes will soon be unlocked on the KRP-M's allowing them the same calibration capabilities of the Elite/Signatures?

This would be thrilling news as I would immediately jump back on board. Many Thanks.

I think, unfortunately, that even if there is a fix released to get the ISF on the KRPs, it will not be released until after all sales have ceased on Pioneers, so that it doesnt step on anyones toes in the seller community. Just my opinion, and I hope I am wrong
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

I think, unfortunately, that even if there is a fix released to get the ISF on the KRPs, it will not be released until after all sales have ceased on Pioneers, so that it doesnt step on anyones toes in the seller community. Just my opinion, and I hope I am wrong

Pioneer went out of their way to de-content the KRP-M's so that they would not hurt Elite/Sig sales. Looks to me like they had a stockpile of KRP parts and deduced (correctly) that they would sell out KRP's faster in the US market than in AUS/EU market for which they were originally intended. Bottom line, once everything is sold out, Pio has no incentive to release a firmware update to enable ISFccc on KRP. Sure, it would make KRP owners happy, but at the same time anger Elite/Sig owners they were trying to protect in the first place.

The only chance I see for ISFccc on KRP will be via unofficial hack.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

Pioneer went out of their way to de-content the KRP-M's so that they would not hurt Elite/Sig sales. Looks to me like they had a stockpile of KRP parts and deduced (correctly) that they would sell out KRP's faster in the US market than in AUS/EU market for which they were originally intended. Bottom line, once everything is sold out, Pio has no incentive to release a firmware update to enable ISFccc on KRP. Sure, it would make KRP owners happy, but at the same time anger Elite/Sig owners they were trying to protect in the first place.

The only chance I see for ISFccc on KRP will be via unofficial hack.

Would it really piss off Elite owners? I don't think many Elite owners who already purchased and are enjoying their sets would care that some other owner is happy about a firmware update to their TV. There are plenty other reasons to get an Elite other than isfccc modes. Such as speakers, tuner and stand. Plus it says Elite!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

The Standard AV selection Profile for the Monitors is near release

Just to be painfully clear: will the ControlCal KRP-x00M profile enable anything that can't be done via the menu system/web interface?

Can ControlCal send its commands over the network?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

mtkagan and aligg,

Please excuse my 500m/600m brethren. They are so wrapped up in this great situation we're in, they forgot to welcome you to the forum as 1st posters. Aligg, you've been lurking for 2 years. I don't think I could have held my tongue, er keyboard that long.

I think the story for your grandchildren might start something like this: "Gather 'round. Did I ever tell you about my first post on the AVS forum, back in '09 when the great Pioneer company was getting out of the plasma business?"
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Liked: 11
Hello mtkagan and aligg, welcome

if you guys can swing it financially on the elite models, go for it. if I can get a elite, I would have. but my original budget was for a 5020! lol, so I overspent to get better PQ and 10" of screen real estate.

I don't think you guys should count on the software being hacked, or made to public. I think that is the approach you guys should take. if you have a lot of ambient lights, I would suggest you get the elite, but if the lighting condition is somewhat controlled, 500/600m represent a great value. and all of us who are owners love our set. I can say for me, that despite not having ISF, I am still very, very satisfied with this monitor, and I think the rest of the owners would tend to agree. Good luck in your pursuit!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Have any 500 or 600 owners had their panel calibrated professionally?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Have any 500 or 600 owners had their panel calibrated professionally?

Yes.
elite-home
Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The few days that I have been reading this forum has made me that much more informed than my "omg LCD are the BEST" group of friends haha. I think I like the fact that with the pro 111fd I can just set it up and watch something because Im really stretching my budget. I was really considering canceling my 111fd order and scouring for a 600m, but the deal I got on the 111fd was pretty good. I will definitely tell my friends about these krp's though, great deal for the quality you get!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The few days that I have been reading this forum has made me that much more informed than my "omg LCD are the BEST" group of friends haha. I think I like the fact that with the pro 111fd I can just set it up and watch something because Im really stretching my budget. I was really considering canceling my 111fd order and scouring for a 600m, but the deal I got on the 111fd was pretty good. (-----) if Im not supposed to discuss prices please edit my post. I will definitely tell my friends about these krp's though, great deal for the quality you get!

Congrats on the new TV. And you should edit the price out of your post

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Congrats on the new TV. And you should edit the price out of your post

He did, but you left it in your quote.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well I finally figured out what was causing the thin horizontal lines on the tv whenever I was close to the screen. If I set the Field NR to low, medium, or high, it completely goes away. It wasn't a huge distraction but I could really see it on a few games. The other banding like symptoms I have seen on the PS3 screen or on a Blu Ray menu (config screen on Wall E) seem to be from the source itself not being a high enough resolution. I can't see any of these banding problems when playing a game or watching a bu ray. Also, I went ahead and ran the break-in images to see if I could notice any banding. I could not pick out anything major which leads me to believe it is just that one dark green image on the PS3 where I thought I noticed some vertical banding (still bugs me I see something resembling it yet it doesn't show up on any other colors). The only think I see on a movie or game is the occasional DSE moment but that is something I knew was there and expect with pioneer . I was so close to calling a tech out or thinking I had a lemon when in fact everything I am seeing now is normal (or at least I hope it is....lol ). If there is some vertical banding, I can't see it 99% of the time. I think I need to back away from the set and quit looking for issues now.......lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

He did, but you left it in your quote.

oops

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The few days that I have been reading this forum has made me that much more informed than my "omg LCD are the BEST" group of friends haha. I think I like the fact that with the pro 111fd I can just set it up and watch something because Im really stretching my budget. I was really considering canceling my 111fd order and scouring for a 600m, but the deal I got on the 111fd was pretty good. I will definitely tell my friends about these krp's though, great deal for the quality you get!

That's a great deal. I got offered the same deal on the 111fd at BB today. I was tempted to pick one up but my 500m stacks up quite nicely to it . The 111FD is a great tv though. It has me thinking though, for just a few hundred more I could have a 600m........lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Can someone please PM me where to get a low-cost tilted wallmount for 600m.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmal View Post

Would it really piss off Elite owners? I don't think many Elite owners who already purchased and are enjoying their sets would care that some other owner is happy about a firmware update to their TV. There are plenty other reasons to get an Elite other than isfccc modes. Such as speakers, tuner and stand. Plus it says Elite!

Elite PRO-141FD doesnt have speakers/stand/tuner either does it?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_cricket View Post

What's low cost to you?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_cricket View Post

Monoprice - a great Forum sponsor...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

The 141 does not come come with speakers, stand, or tuner. The stand can be purchased separately as an OEM accessory. I believe the 141 does NOT have an internal tuner or audio amplifier (so no speakers).
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Optional stand only, I believe. Click here for a great Pio 9G comparison thread/summary...

EDIT - looks like carft beat me to it!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Old 05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

So what is everyone using for a stand on the 600m? I noticed the official stand is somewhat expensive. I loved that I got the 500m stand for free but noticed the 600m one is hard to get and rarely discounted. I am currently laying the ground work for a possible purchase of a 600m for the living room (moving our newly purchased 500m to the bedroom if my wife agrees ). Wish me luck!

I also noticed that the weight with the official stand is about 131 pounds. I have a tv stand from World Market that is rated to hold a maximum of 135 pounds. It is almost wide enough also (it is made for a 50 inch display but the 60" would only be about an inch over on each side). Do you think that would be safe? I know I am under the weight but only by a few pounds.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here is the wall mount I jigged up from monoprice. I got the aluminum arms articulating mount, bolted a sheet of 2feet X 3feet 16 gauge sheet metal to the back of the TV and bolted the mount brackets to the metal. then I hung the whole thing up on the bracket like normal:

ignore the loose zip ties.. testing out rope lighting
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Just FYI I listed my 600m on the classifieds for a few hundred less than what they sell for now. Im getting a 100 inch screen plus projector instead. Gotta go big!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here is the wall mount I jigged up from monoprice. I got the aluminum arms articulating mount, bolted a sheet of 2feet X 3feet 16 gauge sheet metal to the back of the TV and bolted the mount brackets to the metal. then I hung the whole thing up on the bracket like normal:

ignore the loose zip ties.. testing out rope lighting

Come on IR, you can't show us just the "butt" side of the 600M without the front shot. You know there are other people here that wanted to see your counter again. Now take some more pics of the face of the 600M and post it here too!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

I snapped a few pics of my little theater setup in my living room. I personally built the sunken in wall section shown in the pics. It was built off of the original flat wall that was there before. This was my 1st construction project at home that involved building walls and plaster and such. Took forever and I hated it, but it turned out pretty good IMO. I also put the Monoprice ceiling speakers in the ceiling just above the seats. Havent completely finished cleaning up the living room yet though. You will see dust on fireplace, painters tape still attached to fireplace from painting around it, a cluttered up mantle, etc, but it will get there eventually....lol....oh, and yes, the A/C vent is hanging down on one side too. Its not your imagination...lol....I will get to that soon! Too busy enjoying the tv to finish the final touches now

BTW - The seats in the picture are the theater chairs that Costco closed out a while back for $499 for all 3 and they are Berklines. There was a thread all about it on here somewhere. After using them now for a good while, I must say that I love them

Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

ndisgii--

That's beautiful. You made great use of the space. Nice work on the carpentry.

--Eric
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Monoprice - a great Forum sponsor...

I think it has been mentioned before that none of the Monoprice mounts will span the 19+ inch vertical spacing of the 600M with out making some kind of adapter modification like the one on the previous page.