The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would normally agree that once you buy a big purchase like a TV you will lose a considerable amount should you decide to sell. However in this case I don't think the $2500 is out of line for the 600M if it is someone picking up locally.

That is still several hundred dollars less than you can get it for elsewhere and if your picking up locally vs having one shipped you don't have to worry about getting one that is cracked which as anyone who has been reading these threads knows there is a huge problem with with the 600M's. Anyway just my 2 cents. I have a 600M and love it. Before that I had a 6020 which yes I did lose a decent amount of money on when I sold it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajo View Post

I have been skimming through this thread here and there. But I am wondering about one thing. Can I hook up a speaker like those found on 6020's on a 600M, or maybe a couple bookshelf speakers? I don't have a home theater set up, and would rather not buy one until I am ready to commit to one fully.

I don't always want my audio system on, so I have an old pair of Celestion 3's hooked up to my 500M's speaker outputs. They won't shake the room, but they sound fine. The amp is rated for 6 to 16 ohms and an efficient (90 dB or more/watt) 8 ohm bookshelf speaker should work.
post #2313 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajo View Post

Can I hook up a speaker like those found on 6020's on a 600M, or maybe a couple bookshelf speakers?

The speaker specs are on page 105 of the manual.
post #2314 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehtee View Post

My first post here, but I've been reading this week and don't think I've seen the answer to my question posted -

I have a 600M on order - although I'm not sure right now when I may get it! With my viewing set-up I have to put the monitor on a corner stand or on an articulating mount which will allow me to turn it 45 degrees. I'd prefer articulating mount, but I can't find an articulating mount which will allow that. The screen is 60 inches, so 30 to the center where mounted. The specs on the articulating mounts say that they extend 20 inches or more, so figure 20 inches max from the wall to be safe. Hmm. From my geometry, sounds like the screen hits the wall before I can swing it 45 degrees. Does anyone have a solution other than the table stand? (I have that on order with the 600M)

the screen is 60" diagonally. the 600M is 57 11/16" wide so that helps a little. (more if you added speakers)..... check into a nice articulating mount like the Sanus VMDD26. i think it will stretch out to ~25" and there are others that may go a little further as well.

most nicer articulating mounts are going to allow for a 45 degree plus turn easily. 45 degree is only an 1/8th turn not a full 1/4 which would be 90 degrees.

be careful when looking for mounts for the 60" Pioneer models because several mounts may not truly fit them.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #2315 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

.......Once you get a "bad" pixel, does this often led to other problems with surrounding pixels or cause your set to be more prone to other random pixels sticking or dying?

no, it shouldn't effect surrounding pixels nor be any indication that your panel will be prone to any future problems.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #2316 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehtee View Post

... I have a 600M on order ... With my viewing set-up I have to put the monitor on a corner stand or on an articulating mount which will allow me to turn it 45 degrees. I'd prefer articulating mount, but I can't find an articulating mount which will allow that. ...

One option is to build a mounting structure into the wall to orient the monitor 45˚ to the corner walls. It should be relatively simple to essentially build a diagonal corner plaster it in, etc. You could even provide space behind/under it to house your equipment. This is presuming that you own and don't rent of course!

Casey
post #2317 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

no, it shouldn't effect surrounding pixels nor be any indication that your panel will be prone to any future problems.

Thanks turbo.

I have about 60 hrs of break-in on my tv. The wait is really killing me, would it be too bad for it if I went ahead and watched a movie or two on it that do not fill the whole screen? Or is there some setting that I can make extra widescreen movies fill the entire 16:9 area? I'm running a PS3 to the KRP via HDMI.
post #2318 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

I have about 60 hrs of break-in on my tv. The wait is really killing me, would it be too bad for it if I went ahead and watched a movie or two on it that do not fill the whole screen? Or is there some setting that I can make extra widescreen movies fill the entire 16:9 area?

Let me ask you this...why are you doing the break-in? That's a procedure recommended by D-Nice to allow the use of his reference settings, not for any other reason. Burn-in is pretty much a non-issue with current plasma displays, and you don't need to do any break-in to avoid it. Here's what D-Nice says about break-in, in this case regarding the x020 models:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Recommended 150 Hour Break-In settings for Pioneer 5020FD/6020FD (ONLY to be used with Evangelo2's Break-in DVD or Thumbdrive Files!!!!!!!!)

*****Note: This procedure is designed to be performed only during the first 150 hours of the display's lifespan. This procedure is designed to ensure the reference settings listed below provide maximum satisfaction. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used solely as Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

--Eric
post #2319 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedom View Post

One option is to build a mounting structure into the wall to orient the monitor 45˚ to the corner walls. It should be relatively simple to essentially build a diagonal corner plaster it in, etc. You could even provide space behind/under it to house your equipment. This is presuming that you own and don't rent of course!

Casey

Thanks to you and dssturbo1. I currently have a 42-inch Panasonic plasma in the corner on a corner stand with receiver, DirecTV, CD, DVD, etc. on the shelves below. Modified the stand to put it on VERY sturdy platform with 4 casters for easy rolling out to change connections when the components change - which seems to happen every time I think I can afford to upgrade (Blu-ray will be next). I know that my current stand is sturdy enough to hold the 600M. It originally had a 37-inch standard TV - VERY heavy. I can continue to use my corner stand with the 600M with access to the back of the components by rolling it out. I'm just nervous about that big 60-inch monitor tipping onto my hard floor if I make a little goof rolling it out. I've never spent this much for an entertainment item before, I'm thrilled to think of actually getting a Pioneer Kuro, and you guys will hear me crying from one end of the country to the other if I break it! The main reason I wanted an articulating arm was so that I would not be moving the 600M around after it was mounted.

I know that the articulating arms will turn more than 90 degrees, so getting the 45 degrees of turn in either direction is not limited by that. But most of those are for "up to" 60 or 63 or something. So they will be able to turn more with the smaller units before they hit the wall. I'll check out the Sanus VMDD26 and try the geometry formulas again.

Thanks again. This forum has been really useful. Now, if I can just get my 600M (in one piece, I hope) and start enjoying it . . .
post #2320 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM

quick question about seating distance... i was just over at the house i'm buying and closing on at the end of the month, and the living room really is a little smaller than i remembered from a few weeks back - seating distance from where the sofa will be to the tv is around 6-7' (approx)

is that too close to be sitting in front of a 60" hdtv? i'm just doing it mostly in my head here, trying to imagine it, but it seems like the tv will be rather huge at that distance... i'd hate to pull the trigger in the next couple weeks only to find myself sitting down going "holy hell, batman!"

i know that people say that the tv can't be too big, but i'm just wondering if at that distance things on SD/DVDs will look even more crappy than if i was sitting back 10' from it... is a 50" better at this distance?
post #2321 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

the screen is 60" diagonally. the 600M is 57 11/16" wide so that helps a little. (more if you added speakers)..... check into a nice articulating mount like the Sanus VMDD26. i think it will stretch out to ~25" and there are others that may go a little further as well.

most nicer articulating mounts are going to allow for a 45 degree plus turn easily. 45 degree is only an 1/8th turn not a full 1/4 which would be 90 degrees.

be careful when looking for mounts for the 60" Pioneer models because several mounts may not truly fit them.

I did some research, and geometry, on the Sanus VMDD26 and it looks like it will do just what I want if it fits the 600M. I assume since you mentioned it that it is probably safe to fit on the 600M. Sorry if I'm asking something I should find elsewhere, but I didn't find listing of exactly what sets the Sanus VMDD26 would fit, or exactly what mounts would fit the 600M, in a quick search of the forum and Google search of the web.
post #2322 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulleffect View Post

... seating distance from where the sofa will be to the tv is around 6-7' (approx) ... is that too close to be sitting in front of a 60" hdtv? ...

Well, at 6' the 60" monitor will occupy ~43˚ of your visual field. At 7', the same calculation works out to ~36˚. The same calculations for a 50" monitor yield ~35˚ for 6' and ~30˚ for 7'.

If I remember right, I think that there's some recommended Theater Engineer parameters where you want approximately 30˚ of your visual field to be subtended by your screen to insure an immersive effect without causing you to do the tennis match thing. Let's see if I can find that ...

Ah, there's a pretty good one here. It includes a calculator and a reference to the parameter I thought I remembered. My memory was somewhat faulty since the recommendation is that the screen subtends a minimum of 30˚ of your visual field (SMPTE) and 36˚ for THX.

The calculator above comes up with slightly different viewing angle results but the bottom line is: no, 60" at 6-7' is not too large ...

Casey
post #2323 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 04:49 PM

@leedom: awesome dude, thanks!

that calculator is awesome btw... seems that 60" is a little on the outside of recommended viewing, but not overly crazy where my eyeballs will end doing the tennis thing as you said - that would quickly get a little annoying, especially when playing some video games... actually, that would just suck. period.

so sitting 7' from a 60" isn't bad.... whew, was suddenly worried about that, thinking i might have to bump down to a 50".

thanks again buddy!
post #2324 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
seating distance really depends on what your intended use for the set is for in my honest opinion. if your one of those who wish to construct a dedicated media room or home theatre space, then all these calculations would be important. if your like me, and just want to stick a nice size screen in the living area, then you pretty much have to eyeball it. im currently sitting 12-13 feet away from a 50" and its comfortably large. im thinking the 60" might be overkill slightly but sometimes you just have to grab your manhood and swipe the card already. if anything its a good problem to have. one thing i do also notice is that the higher the set is mounted the larger it appears to be to the human eye. i went over to a friends house who had 52" samsung lcd and i honestly thought it was a 46" because he temporarily set it up on the base of the ground fireplace. and i personally would not sit 7' away from a 60" set.
post #2325 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM

"but sometimes you just have to grab your manhood and swipe the card already"

got a chuckle from that one... lol

to be honest, after going to the house again and standing there in the living room, it was one of the first things i thought about... something along the lines of, "hmmm, this isn't as big as i thought when i first came here... sitting right here, that 60" is going to look effin gigantic man"

i have a 46A650 samsung LCD that i bought last year in my bedroom, and it's probably a good 6 or 7' viewing distance, and it's just fine... so i'm trying to picture it being 60" and i'm having a hard time imagining it. would love the bigger picture i'm sure, i'm just afraid my eyes will be spanning back-n-forth watching a movie or football/basketball game... but maybe if i'm sitting on the couch and leaning back, it won't be an issue at all.

****, i don't know... hate to order a 600M only to find out it's seriously overkill in my space, y'know?

decisions, decisions... sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread or anything.
post #2326 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

seating distance really depends on what your intended use for the set is for in my honest opinion. if your one of those who wish to construct a dedicated media room or home theatre space, then all these calculations would be important. if your like me, and just want to stick a nice size screen in the living area, then you pretty much have to eyeball it. im currently sitting 12-13 feet away from a 50" and its comfortably large. im thinking the 60" might be overkill slightly but sometimes you just have to grab your manhood and swipe the card already. if anything its a good problem to have. one thing i do also notice is that the higher the set is mounted the larger it appears to be to the human eye. i went over to a friends house who had 52" samsung lcd and i honestly thought it was a 46" because he temporarily set it up on the base of the ground fireplace. and i personally would not sit 7' away from a 60" set.

At 12-13' with a 50" screen you could of saved yourself a boatload of cash with a 720P panel. There is simply no benefit to 1080p with a screen that small at that seating distance no matter your visual acuity. That isn't subjective either.
post #2327 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Some 9G Monitor News / Updates

Well, after some time working with the Monitor's quirkiness (non ISFccc Interface), I'm please to announce the release of a new Display Profile Set for ControlCAL. This new Profile will allow you to quickly enter and copy settings across multiple Standard AV Selections and Multiple Input Signals.

In other Monitor News, below, you will find an easy way to get the Hours (and other Info) directly from the Web Interface (see info below 1st Pic) - No need to have your Monitor send you an email

Enjoy

EZ Hours:

Enter this in your Browser (Internet Explorer recommended)
http://Monitor_IP_Address/cgi/service_right.cgi .

*NEW* 9G Monitor Standard AV Selection Display Profile Set for ControlCAL
PRO-101FD | PRO-141FD | KRP-500M | KRP-600M (ALL REGIONS)

Near Release - Contact Me if you are interested in this New Display Profile Set

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #2328 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

im thinking the 60" might be overkill slightly but sometimes you just have to grab your manhood and swipe the card already. i.

Guys, guys! In some households it's the woman - me - pulling the spouse along to the big set. I convinced him the current 42" plasma was too small, so he suggested a 50". Then I convinced him the new Panny 54" would really be better. Then, I told him I'd found this killer deal on the Pioneer 600M and showed him how I could make it fit in our room! Personally I think it's the right size. Our viewing area is about 16 feet away.
post #2329 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM

oh wow, i don't know which part made me blink harder... the part where you were trying to convince your husband to get a larger tv (sorry, but how often does one hear about that happening?!), or the 16 feet *blink*

hell, i'm stressing a little bit over sitting 6-7' from a 60"
post #2330 of 4963 Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Some 9G Monitor News / Updates

Well, after some time working with the Monitor's quirkiness (non ISFccc Interface), I'm please to announce the release of a new Display Profile Set for ControlCAL. This new Profile will allow you to quickly enter and copy settings across multiple Standard AV Selections and Multiple Input Signals.

In other Monitor News, below, you will find an easy way to get the Hours (and other Info) directly from the Web Interface (see info below 1st Pic) - No need to have your Monitor send you an email

Enjoy .

Turbe, That's great - the web link worked! Now, the big question - does the ControlCal interface allow us to get more light output from Pure mode? My guess is no, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. If it is no, any chance that you will be able to enable the ISFccc or fake Day mode soon?

In any case, this is a big improvement over the web interface - 1) because it is a pain in the arse to copy settings across inputs and selections now, and 2) The web interface doesn't have the CMS and most of the other pro adjust settings.
post #2331 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

At 12-13' with a 50" screen you could of saved yourself a boatload of cash with a 720P panel. There is simply no benefit to 1080p with a screen that small at that seating distance no matter your visual acuity. That isn't subjective either.

well the 50" i have is a 9uk panny, which is 720p. my 600m should be getting here sometime.
post #2332 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

well the 50" i have is a 9uk panny, which is 720p. my 600m should be getting here sometime.

Let us know what you think about the difference in picture quality between the 720p Panny and your new 600M.

I have a 58" 720P 10UK, and I am considering a 600M.

Your comparison would be appreciated.
post #2333 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 AM

Getting my 500M in a week or so.(just need to pick it up) I seem to hear people doing "break-in". Whether they're using D-nice's settings or not, IDK. If I just plan on opening the box and playing COD WAW is that okay? Is there any NEEDED prevenative "break-in" time? I'm asking again because I cant seem to get a straight answer.

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
post #2334 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 AM

Okay, fast update and again thanks everyone for the suggestions. As suggested, I used Kung-Fu Panda as my source material, and the awesomeness and attractiveness really was blinding . I ended up being most satisfied with D-Nice's settings for Performance, but using the Standard AV Selection slot. I tweaked a few things (3DNR and Block NR are on the lowest settings, and DRE picture is on). I increased sharpness from -15 to 0. I don't really get why that one was so low, objects in the background appeared blurry.

Fast question on the tuning of the color detail. The numbers used were from tuning a specific T.V. Is it likely my unit needs the same or similar numbers? The picture looked great with them, but I am not sure it can't look better .

Thanks,
Darrell
post #2335 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlogiovino View Post

Getting my 500M in a week or so.(just need to pick it up) I seem to hear people doing "break-in". Whether they're using D-nice's settings or not, IDK. If I just plan on opening the box and playing COD WAW is that okay? Is there any NEEDED prevenative "break-in" time? I'm asking again because I cant seem to get a straight answer.

ANYONE??

post #2336 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

ANYONE??

Use some common sense.

No you don't HAVE to do this break in stuff. Millions of people who don't read these boards have never heard of doing it and are perfectly happy with their sets. People who post and hang around here, tend to be the fussy and nitpicky types (just try reading some of the threads over in the Blu Ray software forum), so they want to make sure they have maximized their picture quality and eliminated any possible problems.

You might wind up with slightly inferior performance if you don't do it, but it isn't going to explode and kill you.

And next time please wait more than an hour before demanding attention.
post #2337 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

Use some common sense.

No you don't HAVE to do this break in stuff. Millions of people who don't read these boards have never heard of doing it and are perfectly happy with their sets. People who post and hang around here, tend to be the fussy and nitpicky types (just try reading some of the threads over in the Blu Ray software forum), so they want to make sure they have maximized their picture quality and eliminated any possible problems.

You might wind up with slightly inferior performance if you don't do it, but it isn't going to explode and kill you.

calm down buddy, I asked days ago with no answer. Just try not being cocky in a reply

post #2338 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

let me go ahead and stop you before you make a big mistake. when you get your 500m by no means, and i mean BY NO MEANS throw in that world at war disc right away. you should trash that and play modern warfare right away.
post #2339 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

Use some common sense.

well if break in is avoided when first used, wouldnt it catch up with 200 hours of regular viewing with a recalibraton followup. sounds like that would be pretty much the same concept.
post #2340 of 4963 Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:

let me go ahead and stop you before you make a big mistake. when you get your 500m by no means, and i mean BY NO MEANS throw in that world at war disc right away. you should trash that and play modern warfare right away.

HAHA. All my good friends play more of WAW then Modern Warfare, otherwise I would. Does anyone know how these games look on the "M" for 360?(in comparison to other Plasmas or LCDs)

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page