The Official Vizio VP505XVT Owner's Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RAYDAHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess I'll get this thread startedfirst off thanks to all who post replies that help us newbie's out in our purchases! I really appreciate it and have learned a ton about making the best decision based on MY NEEDS. From all the data provided on this board the last 3 months, I checked out Panny's, Pioneers, LG's and Sammy's and they're all fantastic looking panels. Yup I could afford all the above, but couldn't justify the added cost, I really consider TV a luxury and certainly don't spend all that much time in front of it. I came from a 27 Phillips CRT, so anything out there will look amazing to meso all this could be taken with a grain of salt to the hard core enthusiasts out there.

Interest in this model started back with the launch of the XVT LCD series. Like others I became frustrated with the continuous delayed launch of this product. I chose to look at it from two points of vieweither something happened in there JIT (just in time MFG) or they (Vizio) determined they had some sort of quality issue that would tarnish the reputation they're building as a viable option to the big hitters out thereso they made the executive decision to hold back and put a good product outguess only time will tell, and I'm willing to take the chance. Especially with the Costco return policy.

My TV time consists of NFL Football, AMA Supercross/MX, Superbikes, NHRA Drag racing, F1 and Animated movies...my viewing distance is 12-15'.

So I picked mine up last Friday, with the Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner I was able to get all my local channels programmed so I could watch both college and NFL HD games. I got it set up in time to watch the 2nd half of the Utah vs. Alabama game in HDwow! Then on Saturday the Cardinal game was simply amazing on NBCs' feedI've been to that stadium twice this year and it was so realistic! All the games were fantastic to see in HD, then the Supercross race in Anaheim was broadcast live on Speed...unwatchable with the 480 feed IMO, luckily CBS will have a couple of broadcasts soon, so that will be a good test to justify DirecTV.

I really haven't had the need to mess with the picture other than the (Standard, Movie, Game and Sports settings). Standard at this point is acceptable for the stuff I've watched so faroh we did watch Iron Man on Blu-Ray last night (dark room). Started in Movie modechanged back to standard to get the blacks betterFWIW.

In the end of it all, I got a complete system (Panel, Blu-Ray and stand) for $1800 OTD, which left funds available to get the Girlfriend a new MacBook Pro as well!

Cheers all, looking forward to sharing data in the future.

Life's short, don't sweat the small stuff!
RAYDAHS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daniel'son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gulf Coast U.S.A
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
.. tweaktv.com settings:

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...-vp505xvt.html

UltimateAVMag settings:

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index7.html

User Manual: (unable to upload; size)

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO-VP505XVT.htm (under Specs Tab)
daniel'son is offline  
post #3 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a few questions about this set. I know that it uses a Panasonic panel, but does it share the same flaws as Panasonics? Specifically, will it do 1080p over VGA? Does it have terrible noise in any of the pictures modes (like Panasonics do in non-cinema/THX modes)?
chrisherbert is offline  
post #4 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
septim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

I have a few questions about this set. I know that it uses a Panasonic panel, but does it share the same flaws as Panasonics? Specifically, will it do 1080p over VGA? Does it have terrible noise in any of the pictures modes (like Panasonics do in non-cinema/THX modes)?

Does 1080p via VGA. It corrects the biggest flaw with Panny's as it does not flicker with the 24p setting. Not sure about noise yet.
septim is offline  
post #5 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
septim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one. Got a couple of questions.

The stand is pre-installed right?

Do I break it in or just stay away from static images for the first month or so?

TIA
septim is offline  
post #6 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

Does 1080p via VGA. It corrects the biggest flaw with Panny's as it does not flicker with the 24p setting. Not sure about noise yet.

Yeah, but it doesn't actually display judder-free 24p, does it? It just converts to 60hz.
chrisherbert is offline  
post #7 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Yahwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
supposedly senses 24p and does 5:5 for judder free 24p (yet unconfirmed) thanks to it's REON chip.

Edit: just read the UltimateAvmag review, apparently it judders with DVDs. (2:3?)

Supposedly the REON chip also does affective noise reduction, even with HD (<-- albeit automatically)
Yahwey is offline  
post #8 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What about IR and screen reflections? This has been a problem with past Vizios. Does it have the same anti reflective screen as the Panasonics? If it really is using Panasonic technology the IR should be greatly improved and probably the same as their 2008 models. It's supposed to have the same black levels at .015. I know there are people that own this set already so please post pics! All I have seen so far of this set is marketing photos. Is the Vizio logo that is lit up on the front distracting?
StinDaWg is offline  
post #9 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
E-A-G-L-E-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panny's have tested from .007 -.015....so if it matches the Panny's it could be as low as .007(which is the level I believe this gen. Panny's are from owning and comparing to my .004 8g kuro)
The glare would then also be the same most likely.
Same with IR.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline  
post #10 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

What about IR and screen reflections? This has been a problem with past Vizios. Does it have the same anti reflective screen as the Panasonics? If it really is using Panasonic technology the IR should be greatly improved and probably the same as their 2008 models. It's supposed to have the same black levels at .015. I know there are people that own this set already so please post pics! All I have seen so far of this set is marketing photos. Is the Vizio logo that is lit up on the front distracting?

Past Vizio plasmas have used LG panels, which have pretty bad IR. I'm sure this will be much, much better in that respect.

How is the color of this TV? I used to own a Panasonic 700u and the colors were so ugly that I had to get rid of it. I can't tell just from looking at a chart of the color points, which appear to be about the same as every other TV (accurate blue, oversaturated red, waaay oversaturated green).
chrisherbert is offline  
post #11 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Panny's have tested from .007 -.015....so if it matches the Panny's it could be as low as .007(which is the level I believe this gen. Panny's are from owning and comparing to my .004 8g kuro)
The glare would then also be the same most likely.
Same with IR.

You have/had an 1150, right? Do you think this will be a giant step down from that, as far as black levels? i think the 1150's black levels are fantastic but the picture is so horribly noisy that I'm seriously thinking about replacing it.
chrisherbert is offline  
post #12 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey View Post

supposedly senses 24p and does 5:5 for judder free 24p (yet unconfirmed) thanks to it's REON chip.

Edit: just read the UltimateAvmag review, apparently it judders with DVDs. (2:3?)

Supposedly the REON chip also does affective noise reduction, even with HD (<-- albeit automatically)

5:5 pulldown would really be a function of panel, not just the REON chip.
chrisherbert is offline  
post #13 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?
StinDaWg is offline  
post #14 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
septim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?

Yup that's why I bought it. Was all set to buy the PZ800U then I heard about the Vizio and figured with the Costco return and warranty policy it was a much better buy than the Panny.
septim is offline  
post #15 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

Yup that's why I bought it. Was all set to buy the PZ800U then I heard about the Vizio and figured with the Costco return and warranty policy it was a much better buy than the Panny.

Post some pictures man!!!
StinDaWg is offline  
post #16 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
citizentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't find the Vizio logo distracting at all. I love this TV. I have not messed with my settings and find the picture quality to be sharp. is thereanything i can do to make it better? (if possible lol)
citizentee is offline  
post #17 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
r1dude57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, please do.
r1dude57 is offline  
post #18 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Yahwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic has a much better household name. Most people will buy a brand they know and trust regardless of the price.

Also Panasonic is a global CE R&D and manufacturer.

To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.

But next year Panasonic is coming out with extremely low energy panels that rival LCDs, for their own Viera and Pioneer's Kuro line. Vizio will have to wait another year for that technology to become accessible to them. Then when they do get it, Panasonic and Pioneer will have something even more amazing in the wings which Vizio will have to wait for.

Panasonic is just a much bigger and far better company then Vizio. Vizio can easily go the same route as Olevia particular in this economy if they're not careful.

With all that said, I like values more than brand names and am too considering a 505 vxt purchase over a comparable Panasonic -- which doesn't give me as much value for my money (flickering, noisy picture, red push, green tint, lack of adjustability, bad power board, more expensive, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?

Yahwey is offline  
post #19 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey View Post

To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.

I thought the Panasonic also had 3 or 4 fans?
StinDaWg is offline  
post #20 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
septim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey View Post

Panasonic has a much better household name. Most people will buy a brand they know and trust regardless of the price.

Also Panasonic is a global CE R&D and manufacturer.

To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.

But next year Panasonic is coming out with extremely low energy panels that rival LCDs, for their own Viera and Pioneer's Kuro line. Vizio will have to wait another year for that technology to become accessible to them. Then when they do get it, Panasonic and Pioneer will have something even more amazing in the wings which Vizio will have to wait for.

Panasonic is just a much bigger and far better company then Vizio. Vizio can easily go the same route as Olevia particular in this economy if they're not careful.

With all that said, I like values more than brand names and am too considering a 505 vxt purchase over a comparable Panasonic -- which doesn't give me as much value for my money (flickering, noisy picture, red push, green tint, lack of adjustability, bad power board, more expensive, etc)

Uhmmmm, thanks for sharing?

I'm not really concerned what improvements Panasonic will roll out in late summer for more than twice the price of this set.

You either want top-of-the-line bleeding edge tech or you want a great value. IMO this is a great balance between the two.
septim is offline  
post #21 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
r1dude57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, and it's available now, not in 6 months. I am giving away my Sony 46XBR4 to my parents as an anniversary gift on Valentines day, so I can't wait that long to pick a new display. That narrows down my choices to presently available sets. The one thing about the Panasonic 85U that bothered me was no color management controls. It's just one of those things I prefer to have on my sets. Floating blacks are another thing I don't like about my Sony, and I hear the Panasonics exhibit this trait. The Samsungs offer blacks that are only a smidge better than my present LCD (the reason I am giving it away), so they are out. Having horrible luck with three Samsung sets doesn't put points in their favor either. But they do have color controls. This Vizio seems to strike a good balance between the two sets, as it has Panny blacks, and a color management system, and so far no reports of floating black levels.
r1dude57 is offline  
post #22 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Member
 
technics2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can people who have this set comment a bit on the HD and SD cable channels? I want to go swap out my Toshiba lcd for this model in the next day or two, and i'm hoping it will perform better in that area. Alot of the HD feeds around here aren't great but I've seen some tv's handle it much better than others, unfortunately the Toshiba doesn't seem to be doing too well with it..
technics2000 is offline  
post #23 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

Yeah, and it's available now, not in 6 months. I am giving away my Sony 46XBR4 to my parents as an anniversary gift on Valentines day, so I can't wait that long to pick a new display. That narrows down my choices to presently available sets. The one thing about the Panasonic 85U that bothered me was no color management controls. It's just one of those things I prefer to have on my sets. Floating blacks are another thing I don't like about my Sony, and I hear the Panasonics exhibit this trait. The Samsungs offer blacks that are only a smidge better than my present LCD (the reason I am giving it away), so they are out. Having horrible luck with three Samsung sets doesn't put points in their favor either. But they do have color controls. This Vizio seems to strike a good balance between the two sets, as it has Panny blacks, and a color management system, and so far no reports of floating black levels.

The Vizio doesn't have a color management system. Only Samsungs, LGs and possibly Hitachis do. Pioneer Elites pretend to but it's pretty useless, I believe.
chrisherbert is offline  
post #24 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
r1dude57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The review at Ultimate A/V mag gives the settings for gain and offset for red green and blue. Maybe I called the color management system something other than what it is, but these adjustments are the ones I mean.


http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index7.html
r1dude57 is offline  
post #25 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Radicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this set have any PIP features? Hows the picture coming from a PC out?
Radicus is offline  
post #26 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

The review at Ultimate A/V mag gives the settings for gain and offset for red green and blue. Maybe I called the color management system something other than what it is, but these adjustments are the ones I mean.


http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index7.html

That's color temperature control, and the 85u does have it in the servivce menu. It's quite easy to adjust though like all color temp conrols it's only useful withcalibration equipment.
chrisherbert is offline  
post #27 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
r1dude57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, I thought color temperature control was the ability to switch between neutral, cool, warm, etc. And I figured color management was the ability to adjust the gain and offset of red, green, and blue. What exactly is the color management system on the Samsungs?
r1dude57 is offline  
post #28 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
None of you owners are bothered by no aspect ratio change with HD sources?? It's one of the things keeping me from considering the vizio.
csgamer is offline  
post #29 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

None of you owners are bothered by no aspect ratio change with HD sources?? It's one of the things keeping me from considering the vizio.

You can change the overscan amount, why would you need to change the aspect ratio of a 16:9 HD source? Cable boxes will do this anyways if you really feel the need to mutilate the picture.
StinDaWg is offline  
post #30 of 362 Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrisherbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

Okay, I thought color temperature control was the ability to switch between neutral, cool, warm, etc. And I figured color management was the ability to adjust the gain and offset of red, green, and blue. What exactly is the color management system on the Samsungs?

The warm, cool, neutral etc settings are also color temperature controls, though obviously much less detailed and usefel than RGB gains and offsets. They both basically control the same thing, though.

Color management systems change the hue, saturation and brightness of the colors. Often plasmas have greens that are way oversaturated and yellowish, for instance. The RGB controls can't do anything about that but at least in theory a CMS could. Tom Huffman has a guide to CMS controls in the calibration forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536
chrisherbert is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off