AVS Forum banner

2009 Panasonic 12G Plasma Line-Up

687K views 4K replies 567 participants last post by  Pia-chan 
#1 ·
#3,335 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 /forum/post/16179977

what dont you understand about it - the BB in NYC gives out ******** and lies to people who dont know better in order to scare them into buying extended warranties and other items such as HDMI cables for 90 dollars etc. making the older couples or less knowledgeable people believe its needed -

i seen it and heard it first hand while trying to go see the new G10 in person - which of course they dont have on display - but you can order it -

the only good thing about BB etc. is the 30 days return etc. - easy exchanges

What you're referring to is an instance of poor training, nothing more evil than that.

If you had taken that information you'd overheard and taken it to a manager, along with the name of the associate, I'll bet you that there would have been some correction going on after you left.

#3,336 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16187304

What you're referring to is an instance of poor training, nothing more evil than that. If you had taken that information you'd overheard and taken it to a manager, along with the name of the associate, I'll bet you that there would have been some correction going on after you left.

You'd lose that bet. BB employees are told what to say by middle management, and often the instructions come from upper management. I've heard the same lies and deceit countless times at various BB stores, and former employees (as well as a few current employees) have told me all kinds of stories about their underhanded business practices. BB Buyers beware.

One time i got so pissed that i actually created an off-topic post about it . . . . .

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s+dvd+recorder

#3,337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16187304

What you're referring to is an instance of poor training, nothing more evil than that.

If you had taken that information you'd overheard and taken it to a manager, along with the name of the associate, I'll bet you that there would have been some correction going on after you left.

You are completely wrong. Here is what is really going on.

http://hdguru.com/recession-pressure...ve-report/399/

http://hdguru.com/best-buy-bombshell/400/

#3,338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman123 /forum/post/16183186

Hello All,

Yes i too am curious about the PQ differences between the 50 in and the 65 in.

I was looking at last years 50 inch 850 vs the 58 inch 850 right next to each other and at the exact same settings and i noticed a good bit of difference.

There was also the 65in panny next to these as well.

The 58 and the 65 were a good bit dimmer than the 50 in. the color saturation was also less. It was enough but was less. The overall brightness loss was the concern for me.

Now i've also seen the new 50 in S1 and it a bit brighter and a good deal more contrast so it looks great. BUt i wonder how the 58 in will look. As stated by the poster 2 posts ago the 65 in didn't look too good.

Perhaps the 54 in will be the sweet spot.

I too would like to hear from anyone who saw these at CES?

Thanks

You can't use the same settings to compare different size models and assume it is a valid comparison. For example when CNET tested the 50" -800 they found that these were the correct settings for their testing criteria: Brightness: +52 / Picture: +80. Using the same testing criteria, for the 58" -800, CNET used: Brightness: +55 / Picture: +100. Both sets were in THX mode. Brightness was adjusted as close as possible to 40Fl.

There is no doubt the larger sizes have a bit less light output but you can't just match settings and assume the HDTVs you are comparing are on an even playing field.

#3,339 ·
I'm pretty interested in seeing if the V series offer more picture adjustment options than the G/S series or versus the 850 series of last year. The 50" V series MSRP puts it right at Kuro 5020 range, so I'm curious if the amount of adjustments that can be performed without accessing service menus is better/worse/the same as the 5020. One of the primary complaints about the 5020 is the few picture controls available unless you access the service menus via ControlCal, so it would be a plus in my book if the V-series has some more controls available.

Looking forward to May and early impressions of these units!

#3,340 ·
Panasonic recently reduced MSRPs on currently shipping models by $200 (a 50G10's original MSRP was $1999, now it's $1799).

Does anyone with Panasonic knowledge expect this will follow through in the yet to be released V series?

I would be REALLY interested in a 54" V10 for a MSRP of $2499, given that the street price would be even lower.

#3,341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-mac /forum/post/16189746

panasonic recently reduced msrps on currently shipping models by $200 (a 50g10's original msrp was $1999, now it's $1799).

Does anyone with panasonic knowledge expect this will follow through in the yet to be released v series?

I would be really interested in a 54" v10 for a msrp of $2499, given that the street price would be even lower.

+1

#3,342 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac /forum/post/16189746

Panasonic recently reduced MSRPs on currently shipping models by $200 (a 50G10's original MSRP was $1999, now it's $1799).

Does anyone with Panasonic knowledge expect this will follow through in the yet to be released V series?

They only dropped the 50S1 and 50G10, but all the other sizes and models are still at the same MSRP that they debuted with the last time i checked. Maybe they'll reduce more sizes/models soon.

[EDIT - i just checked Panasonic's site a few days after posting the above and they've now dropped the MSRP on the 42S1 and 42G10 by a hundred bucks.]

They're not likely to drop the previously announced MSRP on the yet-to-be-released models when they debut, but it's always possible once it's been out a month or two (as evidenced by previous generations).

#3,345 ·
#3,346 ·
One question I have, though, is what do you guys think is meant by "regional sales channels"? David K mentions this on the page for the G15. Does that mean it is for smaller high end stores and not the national big box stores?

"It's reserved for 'regional retail' sales channels, while the mainstream G10 series is available nationwide."

#3,347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman123 /forum/post/16183186

Hello All,

Yes i too am curious about the PQ differences between the 50 in and the 65 in.

I was looking at last years 50 inch 850 vs the 58 inch 850 right next to each other and at the exact same settings and i noticed a good bit of difference.

There was also the 65in panny next to these as well.

The 58 and the 65 were a good bit dimmer than the 50 in. the color saturation was also less. It was enough but was less. The overall brightness loss was the concern for me.

Now i've also seen the new 50 in S1 and it a bit brighter and a good deal more contrast so it looks great. BUt i wonder how the 58 in will look. As stated by the poster 2 posts ago the 65 in didn't look too good.

Perhaps the 54 in will be the sweet spot.

I too would like to hear from anyone who saw these at CES?

Thanks

I've been recently thinking of the 65" V10 set, especially with the thought street prices could be under 4K sometime this year. I've noticed this problem on "larger" plasmas as well, hopefully this new 5-lumen tech may help. Really won't know what they are like till later this summer when they start hitting shelves.

#3,348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/16187562

You are completely wrong. Here is what is really going on.

http://hdguru.com/recession-pressure...ve-report/399/

http://hdguru.com/best-buy-bombshell/400/

Gotta call BS. This is not news, and it's been rebutted more than once in the past, my both myself and others more intelligent and well-spoken than myself.

I work at a Best Buy, and our people are not on a script. There are certain things we tell new hired to speak of, until they are fully trained, but no, Best Buy managers as a practice are not telling employees to scare old people into buying anything.

Period.

#3,349 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16187357

You'd lose that bet. BB employees are told what to say by middle management, and often the instructions come from upper management. I've heard the same lies and deceit countless times at various BB stores, and former employees (as well as a few current employees) have told me all kinds of stories about their underhanded business practices. BB Buyers beware.

One time i got so pissed that i actually created an off-topic post about it . . . . .

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s+dvd+recorder

Randy, there is no fake Best Buy website!!

Sears.com is Sears.com.

How conspiracy-minded does one have to be to even imagine such a plot?

*insert eye-roll here*

By the way, whatever happened to that 2+ year-old investigation? You'd think that if they were gonna find wrongdoing, they would have by now.

#3,351 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 /forum/post/16196369

I think this BB shenanigans really depends on the store. However if you shop at BB to begin with that's your own fault when there are many better options.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 /forum/post/16196369

TC-P50V10 cannot come soon enough.

TOTALLY agreed!

I've had a Samsung 650 series LCD for almost a year now. It's a very good TV and I am, as a first time LCD owner, pretty pleased with it. But there are things about my Panny plasmas that I really miss and if the V10 turns out to be as good as I'm hoping, I'm ready to come home again.

-C.

#3,352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16196148

Sears.com is Sears.com. How conspiracy-minded does one have to be to even imagine such a plot?

I know what i saw, and the website that salesman brought up was NOT the real Sears website. It's not like Sears raised the price by $80 for the 30 minutes that passed by between the time i left my house to drive to Best Buy, then come directly home and re-check their website. The Sears price was $199 when i left my house, mysteriously came up as $279 when the BB guy showed me the fake Sears webpage 10 minutes later on the store's intranet, the address bar in his browser said "About:Blank", he refused to type www.sears.com into the address bar, then when i went straight home 10 minutes after that the real Sears website still had it at $199. That's when i got online and saw that i was not alone. I later drove to Sears to buy it and it was $199 at the store, just like it was online. Yet the Sears page that BB brought up said $279. You can't tell me that it wasn't faked.

I spoke with my company's IT staff about this and they say it's easy to do on the company intranet and this is surely what happened. I should have taken a picture of the screen with my phone.

I will take a lie detector test and/or give a sworn statement or deposition if you or any prosecutor or attorney want me to. I'm not an idiot, and i'm not seeing things.

#3,353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16196944

I know what i saw, and the website that salesman brought up was NOT the real Sears website. It's not like Sears raised the price by $80 for the 30 minutes that passed by between the time i left my house to drive to Best Buy, then come directly home and re-check their website. The Sears price was $199 when i left my house, mysteriously came up as $279 when the BB guy showed me the fake Sears webpage 10 minutes later on the store's intranet, the address bar in his browser said "About:Blank", he refused to type www.sears.com into the address bar, then when i went straight home 10 minutes after that the real Sears website still had it at $199. That's when i got online and saw that i was not alone. I spoke with my company's IT staff about this and they say it's easy to do on the company intranet and this is surely what happened. I should have taken a picture of the screen with my phone.

I will take a lie detector test and/or give a sworn deposition if you or any prosecutor or attorney want me to. I'm not an idiot, and i'm not seeing things.

I'm totally not surprised at the idea of Best Buy pulling shenanigans like this. Don't get me started on the crap they pull with their own website.

I only buy from them when the offer is too good to pass up or if I have no other choice.

#3,354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16196126

Gotta call BS. This is not news, and it's been rebutted more than once in the past, my both myself and others more intelligent and well-spoken than myself.

I work at a Best Buy, and our people are not on a script. There are certain things we tell new hired to speak of, until they are fully trained, but no, Best Buy managers as a practice are not telling employees to scare old people into buying anything.

Period.

what bb do you work at - in NYC by any chance ?

i was there in person when a salesperson was scaring an old couple into buying an extended warranty -

they were told if they didnt - then they have to carry the TV in for repairs - imagine a 80 year old woman carrying a 40 inch TV -

anyway - this topic is about cooked - lets move on -

#3,355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16196944

I know what i saw, and the website that salesman brought up was NOT the real Sears website.

The Sears price was $199 when i left my house, mysteriously came up as $279 when the BB guy showed me the fake Sears webpage 10 minutes later on the store's intranet, the address bar in his browser said "About:Blank", he refused to type www.sears.com into the address bar

With that, there is no doubt about it, IMHO. I read an article about them doing this a few years ago. I would have thought that would have stopped them; apparently it didn't.

#3,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daarrid /forum/post/16194759

CNET has reviewed the 46" G10

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;txt

Not as good a review as I would have hoped for. Particularly the color accuracy issues. Maybe D-Nice can weigh in with some commentary after an attempt to properly calibrate this set. I've been seriously considering a 65V10 when it's released, but have misgivings after this review.

#3,358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16196148

Sears.com is Sears.com.

How conspiracy-minded does one have to be to even imagine such a plot?

*insert eye-roll here*

By the way, whatever happened to that 2+ year-old investigation? You'd think that if they were gonna find wrongdoing, they would have by now.

Anyone with a bit of knowledge of how the internet works knows that an address can be very easily redirected.

And it looks like the investigation turned into a class action lawsuit in NY.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...in-lawsuit.ars

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...rice-matching/

RandyWalters - next time you should bring a friend with a Blackberry or iphone. That way you'll have a witness and with a Blackberry or iPhone be able to verify if you are being duped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.