NEW Plasma Break-In Images - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 174 Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried the downloaded version USB from eaprogramming? I tried it today with my 5080 during the slide show and it still has about a quarter inch not being displayed (just has a blue background on edge). The rest of the screen is just fine. You can't make the screen change in this mode. Any advice if this will mess up the tv or if it would burn in a box around the edge that didn't change?

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 174 Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris,

Just turn your TV to a normal source that fills the screen and watch it and enjoy. Seriously.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #63 of 174 Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks I will give it a try!!!
post #64 of 174 Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM

I usually watch all my TV programming and BD's normally and at night before I go to bed, throw the slideshow in with the TV sleep timer set to 90 minutes.

-Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 174 Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Depending upon the explanation you read and the validity of the "science" behind it, the "break-in" process can tend to make a lot of sense.

The imperative question to ask (in my estimation) is: even IF the "break in" process "works" as purported, do those outcomes eclipse (noticeably or otherwise) the results of 1-200 hrs of "sensible" viewing?

I do not know the answer, but something tells me that I'm prolly going to run a break in disc for a hundred hours or so anyway when my kuro arrives early next week!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #66 of 174 Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

My wife accidentaly left the TV on all night on CNN. I woke up in the morning and my wife felt bad as she thought the set would have displayed a horrible case of IR or was even worried about Burn in.

All white screen and black revealed no IR at all of any sort.

In all honesty, the images/colors are not required, they won't hurt to use but as you can see from my experiences, my set has been broken in quite well without the use of 3rd party programs. Being a little sensibe and logical about the content viewed and mixing it up a little and avoiding torch mode for the first 100 hours or so is more than enough.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
post #67 of 174 Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

My wife accidentaly left the TV on all night on CNN. I woke up in the morning and my wife felt bad as she thought the set would have displayed a horrible case of IR or was even worried about Burn in.

All white screen and black revealed no IR at all of any sort.

In all honesty, the images/colors are not required, they won't hurt to use but as you can see from my experiences, my set has been broken in quite well without the use of 3rd party programs. Being a little sensibe and logical about the content viewed and mixing it up a little and avoiding torch mode for the first 100 hours or so is more than enough.

I'm not sure why you would expect CNN to result in IR? They must run commercials every 10 minutes or so, so the logo bug wasn't on-screen all night long. If she had left a video game on all night, or the channel guide or something like that (where there was a static image for hours and hours), then I would be surprised if there was no IR at all, assuming the TV is relatively new.
post #68 of 174 Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

I'm not sure why you would expect CNN to result in IR? They must run commercials every 10 minutes or so, so the logo bug wasn't on-screen all night long. If she had left a video game on all night, or the channel guide or something like that (where there was a static image for hours and hours), then I would be surprised if there was no IR at all, assuming the TV is relatively new.

My set is just over three months old now. I have left static images from my PC on overnight with no IR shown the next day.

I mentioned CNN because we did see IR when our set was only a few days old and that did not last very long. Since then my wife has been a little on the edge with CNN even though I assure her there is nothing to worry about.

I guess my point was, if your set is broken in properly, images or not then IR is really a non-issue. Even if it does show up it will go away.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
post #69 of 174 Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Like running the Break-in DVD with your new $5000 PDP for 100s of non-stop-hours makes more sense because some anonymous individual you chatted with in an Internet forum told you to.

Optivity,

I'm currently running break in images that I got for free. Yes, you can buy them on dvd or download them for free for use on a thumb drive, etc. I just purchased a Pioneer Kuro 6020. One of the people highly regarded here on AVS for having expert knowledge is DNice. He has contacts at Pioneer and is a professional calibrator himself.

DNice emphatically says that running the break in images is not mandatory. He further states that using the solid color screen pics for break in are for the purpose of aging the phosphors evenly and so that his reference settings can be used after the break in. Another thing he says is that break in is already performed at the factory but that it slows down production to drag it out for too long of a time.

Break in is an established and accepted fact with regard to plasmas. How you want to go about the break in is debatable.

Gotta admit...I could probably be watching my new tv instead of running solid color screens for the first 150 hours. But I still have my old tv hooked up and am not stressing too much. Am I losing precious viewing time...perhaps! Am I hurting anything by doing the break in....haven't heard a single soul say this yet. So...you can turn your settings down and do as the manufacturer says....or you can get the break in period done a bit faster and in more uniform fashion with the images. Now...that's just my opinion. Not fact at all. But really, what's the beef? We can all do what we want. And to be clear....I only responded because you emphatically state that no professional advises the break in process using the images. This is not true with regard to DNice...as just one example.

Saying that the use of break in images is foolish or a waste of time is just as incorrect as the idea that the break in images must be used to avoid catastrophe. It's simply a choice. I chose to do it because I believe the concept has merit and the source is a very well informed professional. That's my two cents....fwiw.

PS. I'm no expert....so please don't challenge me on the technical merits of using break in pics...if you do I will fold like a deck of cards!
post #70 of 174 Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Excuse my ignorance but ¿how do you put those pictures in an SD card?

Thanks!

MPereda

Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

Hello fellow plasma owners!

I've created a new set of plasma break-in images (with all due respect to Evangelos Angelides). They are intended to be put on a memory device, such as an SD card or USB/flash/thumb drive, and used as a "slideshow". If your plasma TV has no slideshow function, I suppose you could burn the images to a DVD if you know how, but you're on your own if you want to do that.

There are 3 sets in all, and you can use one, two, or all 3 of them if you so choose. If you want to use more than one set of images, I suggest you put them on separate memory devices or else some of the files will overwrite one another (because some of the file names are shared).

The only favor I ask is that you share the link to my web page, rather than sharing the files themselves. That way I can track how many people are downloading the files, and if the interest is high enough and the feedback is positive (i.e. the images work!), then I will continue to invest the time to improve upon them.

Thanks! Here's the link:

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/

post #71 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerda View Post

Excuse my ignorance but ¿how do you put those pictures in an SD card?

Thanks!

MPereda

You're not alone..I have the exact same question. ??????
post #72 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Rowe View Post

ok...I just answered my own question. Our DELL laptop has an SD card slot and the files can easily be moved to the SD Card once downloaded and extracted from the zip file.

Dave
post #73 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

To answer both of your questions... You will need a SD reader that plugs into your computer's USB port. When you insert the SD card into the reader, your computer will give it a Hard Drive assignment letter... i.e. F:\\ or whatever your next open drive letter is.

You can now treat your SD as if it is a removable disk and allows you to copy the JPG files onto the card. After your through copying the files, remove the SD card from the reader and place it into your Panny SD slot, then navigate to the SD card selection from your Panny Menu... I.E...

Press the Menu button on your remote --> Navigate to the SD card selection -- > Press OK -- > Select Photo Viewer -- > It will then fill in the JPG files into the windows -- > Then press the RED button on the remote and it will cycle through the images every 3 or 5 seconds...

Note: be sure to set your Menu -- > Picture -- > Picture Mode to Standard with everything set to 50%... I.e Picture=50, Brightness=50, Color=50, Tint=0, Sharpness=50...

Also, if you don't have a SD or Multiple Card Reader that plugs into your USB port, go to your local Best Buy or wherever and purchase one, they're about $10.

Hope this helps.
Dennis

Belief has no affect on Reality!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #74 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post

To answer both of your questions... You will need a SD reader that plugs into your computer's USB port. When you insert the SD card into the reader, your computer will give it a Hard Drive assignment letter... i.e. F:\\ or whatever your next open drive letter is.

You can now treat your SD as if it is a removable disk and allows you to copy the JPG files onto the card. After your through copying the files, remove the SD card from the reader and place it into your Panny SD slot, then navigate to the SD card selection from your Panny Menu... I.E...

Press the Menu button on your remote --> Navigate to the SD card selection -- > Press OK -- > Select Photo Viewer -- > It will then fill in the JPG files into the windows -- > Then press the RED button on the remote and it will cycle through the images every 3 or 5 seconds...

Note: be sure to set your Menu -- > Picture -- > Picture Mode to Standard with everything set to 50%... I.e Picture=50, Brightness=50, Color=50, Tint=0, Sharpness=50...

Also, if you don't have a SD or Multiple Card Reader that plugs into your USB port, go to your local Best Buy or wherever and purchase one, they're about $10.

Hope this helps.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I'm using it right now with Contrast, Brightness, and Sharpness all at 0. Should I push them all up to 50 on my Panansonic 42" X1?
post #75 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dennis. I'm using it right now with Contrast, Brightness, and Sharpness all at 0. Should I push them all up to 50 on my Panansonic 42" X1?

I am assuming you have the 850 and am not sure what you mean by X1.

The overall consensus is to set your Panny 850 to at most, 50 during the break-in process. Setting your settings too low, will most likely just prolong your break-in process, as far as, it's period of time for break-in. You might not be doing too much with your setting set to 0 so I would personally set mine to 50 settings.

Good luck,
Dennis

Belief has no affect on Reality!

|
post #76 of 174 Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post

I am assuming you have the 850 and am not sure what you mean by X1.

The overall consensus is to set your Panny 850 to at most, 50 during the break-in process. Setting your settings too low, will most likely just prolong your break-in process, as far as, it's period of time for break-in. You might not be doing too much with your setting set to 0 so I would personally set mine to 50 settings.

Good luck,
Dennis

I have the new Panasonic TC-P42X1.
post #77 of 174 Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

If your TV has the scrolling feature, it will do the exact same thing. It is pointless to use colors.

As a matter of fact, all you need to do is watch TV to break it in. Mix up the content you view and all is well.

While today's plasmas should have a break in period I think this color ideology has gone a tad too far. Kinda like to keep the paranoid ones from freaking out.

My new Panasonic TC-P50X1 has a pixel orbiter in the anti image retention feature. I have it on automatic or I can change it to periodic (1-minute ). It also has the scrolling feature. Since this is my 1st plasma I only know from what I have read here at AVS. I an no expert or claim to be.
The manual does not say to break in for the 100 hrs or so. So I am guessing that the anti image features built in should take care of this.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
post #78 of 174 Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky logan View Post

The manual does not say to break in for the 100 hrs or so. So I am guessing that the anti image features built in should take care of this.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

i have the p42x1 and i coulda swore it mentions avoiding certain viewing materials, such as the letterbox during the first few hundred hours, i'll see if i can quote it later, but i think their mention of that is all the motivation i need to popping in that dvd
post #79 of 174 Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

No ! Do what this post says to do:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...99&postcount=1

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #80 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer View Post

Chris,

Just turn your TV to a normal source that fills the screen and watch it and enjoy. Seriously.

ok, i get it, u think breaking it in is pointless, go to another thread then, instead of tallying up ur post count with something that you feel is irrelevant, or do you feel you are saving people from themselves by arguing against breaking it in?

the manual warns about static images early in the tv's life, ok, it may not be like it used to be, but i plan on gaming on this tv, maybe not for 4+ hours at a time, but i still would prefer to take the cautious approach...instead of being sorry i didn't later.

this is my 1st plasma purchase, and i dont have $ for another one, so i want to make sure i can enjoy it for a long time.

besides, the benefits of breaking it in are apparently not just in helping prevent IR or BI but in getting a better PQ
post #81 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

has anyone ever programmed a test pattern that cycles the phosphors of the top and bottom black bars ? (and say has a below black 2.2 :1 image)

at 1000 hours of 8g Kuro viewing I note a faint 2.2 :1 burn in , not obvious on normal viewing , but obvious when all the lights are low and the screen is on with no signal

Searched the plasma burn-in thread and no dice

(i did a 300 hour break in with no logos/black bars and contrast at 30)
post #82 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewan View Post

besides, the benefits of breaking it in are apparently not just in helping prevent IR or BI but in getting a better PQ

^^^ +1

While the verdict is a bit hazy on whether or not normal watching vs. break-in images for a plasma is better, there's absolutely no question that the picture gets better with time (during the first ~150 hours). Reaching 150 hours on a plasma could take a while, and I'd rather start enjoying the 'full' experience offered by my 46pz800U sooner rather than later.
post #83 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
anybody know of a quick and easy way to utilize the jpg break-in photos?

I'm awaiting my Pioneer 600M, which I don't believe has a usb drive for photos. My dish network dvr has a thumb drive, but I am not able to fill the whole screen (forces 4:3). I have an xbox 360, but haven't figured the playback on that yet. The xbox doubles as my dvd player till I can get an oppo bdp83 in my hands (impatiently waiting, but it will be worth it).

Any ideas on what avenue to use in displaying jpg's on my display with the equipment I have?

I've tried making the dvd, resulting in 10 frisbees. I'm much more AV literate than computer literate, which doesn't say much...

post #84 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

anybody know of a quick and easy way to utilize the jpg break-in photos?

I'm awaiting my Pioneer 600M, which I don't believe has a usb drive for photos. My dish network dvr has a thumb drive, but I am not able to fill the whole screen (forces 4:3). I have an xbox 360, but haven't figured the playback on that yet. The xbox doubles as my dvd player till I can get an oppo bdp83 in my hands (impatiently waiting, but it will be worth it).

Any ideas on what avenue to use in displaying jpg's on my display with the equipment I have?

I've tried making the dvd, resulting in 10 frisbees. I'm much more AV literate than computer literate, which doesn't say much...

Why not just buy the ready-to-go Break-In DVD from Evangelo? It's like what, six bux or so?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #85 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Why not just buy the ready-to-go Break-In DVD from Evangelo? It's like what, six bux or so?

Didn't realize that was an option, thanks for the heads up!

In the mean time, I am expecting the tv this week, any way of getting this going in the interim? The tv may not be mounted (have to rip up the wall so that I can add extra support....), so I'm hoping to utilize this downtime yet this week.

post #86 of 174 Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM

[quote=ndskurfer;16111859]Didn't realize that was an option, thanks for the heads up!

or search this thread, where i got my stuff...

The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread
post #87 of 174 Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 AM

I've downloaded the break-in images but I do wonder if running these images non-stop for extended periods is the best approach. Doesn't it create quite a bit of heat? Heat is never good for electronic components.
I don't think there is any arguement that plasma TVs will benefit from break-in but I still question if it's best to do it as quickly as possible.
Another thought....Why wouldn't manufacturers include break-in images on a disk or thumb drive along with instructions with each TV if it makes that much of a difference?
Bottom line is, I know I'm going to break-in my TV but I'm just not sure if I'll try to get it done as quickly as possible with the downloaded images or gradually from watching TV from varied sources or from a combination of the two.
post #88 of 174 Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz View Post

I've downloaded the break-in images but I do wonder if running these images non-stop for extended periods is the best approach. Doesn't it create quite a bit of heat? Heat is never good for electronic components.
I don't think there is any arguement that plasma TVs will benefit from break-in but I still question if it's best to do it as quickly as possible.
Another thought....Why wouldn't manufacturers include break-in images on a disk or thumb drive along with instructions with each TV if it makes that much of a difference?
Bottom line is, I know I'm going to break-in my TV but I'm just not sure if I'll try to get it done as quickly as possible with the downloaded images or gradually from watching TV from varied sources or from a combination of the two.

The official manufacturers' line is that break in is not necessary.
I ran the images for 8 hours each night while asleep, warm air came out of the vents in the morning when I would check, but it was never hot.
I feel that 90% of manufacturing defects will show up in the first month of using electronics. So I used the break in to "age" the screen and also to mildly stress the TV to see if any problems showed up.
To sum it up, a lot of people do not break in their TV's and are happy and a lot of people do break in their TV's and are happy. I'm happy, no problems showed up.
Some folks say the picture is better with break in and some say it doesn't make a difference. Since these are subjective statements, who knows which is better.
post #89 of 174 Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz View Post

Turning up the contrast setting and running the break-in DVD or images non-stop for 100s of hours is a silly and totally unnecessary exercise. The best approach is to just watch full screen content as recommended by the manufacturer of your PDP.

As you said, if Pioneer, Panasonic, Samdung, etc., wanted new PDP owners to abuse their displays why not include a break in DVD in the box?

If using the break in DVD is so great, why don't the CNETs, Home Theater Magazines and HD Gurus of this world endorse it?
post #90 of 174 Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Turning up the contrast setting and running the break-in DVD or images non-stop for 100s of hours is a silly and totally unnecessary exercise. The best approach is to just watch full screen content as recommended by the manufacturer of your PDP.

As you said, if Pioneer, Panasonic, Samdung, etc., wanted new PDP owners to abuse their displays why not include a break in DVD in the box?

If using the break in DVD is so great, why don't the CNETs, Home Theater Magazines and HD Gurus of this world endorse it?

It's faith, baby! I believe mine gets better with break-in and you believe yours does get better without break-in. Besides, what else would we do with our new toys? If we watch TV 8-16 hours a day, other people get upset with us. So we do a "proxy" watch by running break-in's, kind of having our cake and eating it too.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page