Samsung 2009 plasmas - Page 95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 2835 Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw an LN46B650 in store and really loved the USB 2.0 Movie features but was slightly turned off by the ultra clear panel. I can recognize that it improves contrast and produces a more stunning picture, but when compared next to any 2009 Sony LCD the screen is so much more glossy and reflects ambient light. I'm confused how the marketing of the ultra clear panel states that it absorbs ambient light while in my eyes it clearly is not the same as a matte screen. What are my options if I want a 46" Samsung LCD, still want USB 2.0 Movie features, but no ultra clear panel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2835 Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
OAI

I recently purchased a Samsung PN58B540S3FXZA plasma from Costco. And I’ve been getting a squealing noise when watching TV. It doesn’t happen all the time, it makes no difference what channel I’m on. However, I’m not hearing it when watching DVD’s. The cable company came out and couldn’t see any problems. But they did run a new cable anyway.
So I went back to the store and exchange it for another one. Again same thing. My old TV never made any noises and neither do the other TV’s in the house. This is my first plasma maybe I should get a LCD. However, would a another model be a better way to go, from let’s say Best Buy. Could there be a difference in models between a big box store verses let’s say Best Buy store.

Any Answers

The RF Cable is plugged directly to the TV. And the PS3/ DVD is using the HDMI connection..It doesn't make a difference whats on the screen. But what's crazy is sometime you hear it alot. Than there are times when a hour or two will go by without hearing it. Samsung really doesn't think its the TV because you don't hear it when your watching a DVD.
post #2823 of 2835 Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

How is the cable box and the dvd player hooked up to it?

Do you notice if it's always when a lot of white on the screen? Or a dark picture?
post #2824 of 2835 Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
OAI

The RF cable is plugged directly into the TV no box. And the DVD/PS3 player is using the HDMI connection. The strange thing is that you don't hear it all the time. As far as the whats on the screen it doesn't matter as far as I can see.

It's a APC power strip. I do beleive it has surge protection. But I'll have to take another look at it.
I could try plugging into the wall as a test. It's worth a try. I really appreciate the help

I tryed another power strip with noise/surge protection. With in a couple hours the I heard the noise again.
After reading some of these threads, I'm thinking it maybe a good idea to return it and look at the Panasonics.
post #2825 of 2835 Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 AM

It almost sounds like some interference coming in through the power line. What kind of surge protection are you using?
post #2826 of 2835 Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Samsung PN58B550 or B560? I've looked everywhere, even on the Samsung website to find out the differences. Can anyone tell me? Also, what does the ToC in gray look like?
post #2827 of 2835 Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooNKS View Post

Samsung PN58B550 or B560? I've looked everywhere, even on the Samsung website to find out the differences. Can anyone tell me? Also, what does the ToC in gray look like?

I think it's just the Cinema Smooth feature, which I've discovered is almost totally worthless, as engaging it resets your black levels. A firmware update has not fixed it. Anyway, I recalibrated after engaging Cinema Smooth, and then ran the Spears and Munsil test disk for judder and really could not say that I preferred it. So I now don't bother with Cinema Smooth.

Great TV though. Black levels are very, very good. Color is amazing. It does buzz, but I only found out that it did after reading these forums. It doesn't bother me at all. If anyone is on the fence about it, buy this TV from a reputable dealer and, if you don't get a buzzer, you'll be extremely happy.
post #2828 of 2835 Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 AM

I am going to be purchasing a Samsung plasma in the next couple days. Differences I have found between the 5, 6, and 8 series is the Ultra filter and increased energy efficiency on the 8 series and not the 6, and the widget and 2.0 USB on the 6 and not the 5.

Heard the widgets suck, frankly I prob. wouldn't use the ones that they have anyway as I have a computer. Not sure about streaming video, though - again, I prob. wouldn't use it. Those things aside, is there a big difference between the 5 and 8 series in regards to the Ultra Bright Filter - does this really make a difference? I will use is some in a bright room during the day, but mostly (70%) at night. If no big difference/benefit from the filter the 5 is for me......
post #2829 of 2835 Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
yes the filter on the 8 makes a big difference durting daylight hours. the 8 series is superior to the 5 series in other ways as well. get at least the 6 series. don't settle for the 5 series.
post #2830 of 2835 Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 AM

Liked: 12
Aside from Cinema Smooth, the most important difference between the B550 and the B560 is that the B560 has the Crystal Full HD engine which provides for better picture quality whereas the B550 does not. Personally, I like the grey touch of color. It's rather subtle but still adds a bit of class.
post #2831 of 2835 Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone have an opinion of the PN63B590 that they could share with me via PM? I am trying to decide between that model and the Panny TC-P65S1. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

post #2832 of 2835 Old 12-31-2009, 03:48 PM

The Samsung B590 will have a noticeably darker filter than the S1, if you have a lot of windows and view much during the day, and in my opinion better SD processing, which helps when you are viewing non-HD on such a large screen. Depends on whether you will be watching many blu rays or SD/HD cable or DVD's or what have you. Of course the Panasonic has the advantage of being 2 inches larger and better shadow detail and a bit smoother motion. Of course the Sammy will have better colors, better styling, better menus, swivel stand, will be an inch thinner etc.

If you do go with the Sammy, be sure and register your TV online right away so you can get an extra 3 months extension on the warranty. You might very well need it with Samsung!

If I didn't dislike Samsung as a company so much I would probably go with the Sammy over the Panny. I think it's a bit better. But I really don't like to support Samsung if I can help it, and make sure you have no problems returning it if it ends up being a buzzer.
post #2833 of 2835 Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the PNXXB450 Picture Settings thread, folks were able to enter the service menu and change the model of their B450 to B560, and that action enabled the Cinema Smooth feature when the 450 received a 24 fps signal.

I changed my model # earlier today, but have no BD to test it on. So I wonder what other hardware similarities exist between the 450 and 560 that could be enabled by modifying the SVC Menu options.

Thanks...
-T

EDIT: changed title.
post #2834 of 2835 Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the response. I think I am leaning towards the Sammy and I will be sure to purchase it with my CC that doubles the warranty. Hopefully I won't need it, but like you said I very well might!

I saw the 2 in the same store and I must say the Samsung looked better after I tweaked the settings. There were no bright lights but rather it was in an unlit area, similar I would say to viewing in the daytime but with all the curtains closed...some light but not much. In this respect the Sammy looked superior, although this did not allow for an accurate comparison of blacks/shadow detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

The Samsung B590 will have a noticeably darker filter than the S1, if you have a lot of windows and view much during the day, and in my opinion better SD processing, which helps when you are viewing non-HD on such a large screen. Depends on whether you will be watching many blu rays or SD/HD cable or DVD's or what have you. Of course the Panasonic has the advantage of being 2 inches larger and better shadow detail and a bit smoother motion. Of course the Sammy will have better colors, better styling, better menus, swivel stand, will be an inch thinner etc.

If you do go with the Sammy, be sure and register your TV online right away so you can get an extra 3 months extension on the warranty. You might very well need it with Samsung!

If I didn't dislike Samsung as a company so much I would probably go with the Sammy over the Panny. I think it's a bit better. But I really don't like to support Samsung if I can help it, and make sure you have no problems returning it if it ends up being a buzzer.

post #2835 of 2835 Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 AM

My Samsung PN58B560 may have died yesterday. According to my housemate, it made a "weird" sound and then the screen went black. The audio still works though. When I unplug the tv and plug it back in and press power, it makes a clicking sound like it's trying to power up the panel. It clicks approx once per second for about 5 or 6 seconds and then stops and the screen stays black. A few seconds later, the audio comes on.

I bought it 14 months ago and the warranty expired after 12 months, so needless to say I'm quite frustrated right now. It didn't help when the Samsung customer service rep told me to "have a wonderful day" at the end of our lengthy chat.

For those of you with experience with these types of problems, is it likely a bad power supply, circuit board, entire panel? I'm curious if this is a common problem with Samsung plasmas and I was hoping to get an idea of how much it will cost to get fixed.

If any of you have experience with a similar problem I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Tom
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page