2 tv's same remote code - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two panasonic th50pe770u in the same room. Is there a way to change th remote codes so that they can function separately.

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogger4 View Post

I have two panasonic th50pe770u in the same room. Is there a way to change th remote codes so that they can function separately.

THX

I don't believe that's possible. Curious why you have two TV's in the same room?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nope. Can't be done. Having seen first had what happens when there are devices that share the same remote codes you'll realize that you have either deal with it or separate the devices.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It does not help you, but the Panasonic Pro Plasmas can be set for up to 99 different individual remote IDs. All series 8, 9 10, and 11 Pro models have this feature.

The "ID" remote is an option with series 11 720p models and included with series 11 1080p models. It was included with all series 8, 9, and 10 units.

Sadly, the consumer models do not have this feature AFAIK and cannot be modified to do so.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

I don't believe that's possible. Curious why you have two TV's in the same room?

Um.. that's like asking why is the sky blue. I guess b/c I can. It's a large room that can support the look of two tv's stacked above each other. Typically one is tuned into sports or CNBC while the other may be on local channels. Other times the top one is off. It's ridiculous that a simple feature to select different codes can not be supported. I still can't believe it can't be done but I know that is correct.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Probably because they didn't see very many consumers placing more than one of the consumer models in close enough proximity to warrant the need. It's one way to save costs on production of the sets. I guess you may have to just deal with it. It sucks though.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 AM

How about installing a remote IR port on one of the TV's far enough away from the other set? Then put the IR flasher on the one TV and block the IR port so a remote can't change it. Then you could use the remote normally on one TV and the same remote on the other, but have to point it at the remote IR port for it to work.

It's little bit of work and money, but I think it would work.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

Nope. Can't be done. Having seen first had what happens when there are devices that share the same remote codes you'll realize that you have either deal with it or separate the devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore View Post

How about installing a remote IR port on one of the TV's far enough away from the other set? Then put the IR flasher on the one TV and block the IR port so a remote can't change it. Then you could use the remote normally on one TV and the same remote on the other, but have to point it at the remote IR port for it to work.

It's little bit of work and money, but I think it would work.

Hey Jettore - could you forward a link to a product you may be referring to.

Thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The cheapest way might be to put a piece of Black Electrical Tape over the IR Remote Control Eye on one of the tv sets & then operate one with the remote & the other only with the buttons on the front of the tv itself.

That should work ok unless you are also doing a lot of channel changing on the 2nd tv.

I've had friends who have fooled around with just making a Flap on the Electrical Tape over the Eye so that if you aimed it to say way to the left one tv would work without controling the other one. But that can be hit & miss & something you would have to spend some time fooling around with.

Again, If your not doing a lot of channel changing on the 2nd TV just cover up the Eye on one of them with tape.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
If you went with a Harmony 890 remote it comes with tabs that cover the IR sensors on the components you want to control with RF but can control others with IR. So you could use RF to control 1 and use IR to control the other. Or use RF for both I guess, there are 4 plugs on the back of the extender and you can specify which one to use for each tab. You do need an extra plug near the tv's for the RF extender, but this should work without having to worry about where you point the remote like the IR repeater solution. Probably a little more expensive than that solution though, but the RF extender does not have to be visible like the IR extender (mine is in a closet with the components). Other RF remotes might work like this also I just talk about the 890 as I have it.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Here's a link to kits that are already put together. Most of these are more than you need since you are only looking for control for 1 device, but it gives you an idea what you need. You need an IR target, an IR hub that has it's own power adapter(sometime it is extra), and an IR flasher. The IR flasher goes over the IR port on the TV, then you could cover that with black tape to keep the remote from hitting it. Then you connect that to the IR hub and then the target to the IR hub. There are many type of targets so you could buy whatever works best for you. I'm new to all of this myself but have been doing a lot of research on IR for my installation. You should post over in the Remote control forum also in the AV control section. The people there should be able to help you on the exact hardware options that would work best.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=57521602

Another option I thought of would be controlling one of the TV's with RF instead if you happen to have a Harmony or other remote that supports RF.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the information and help!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page