Need advice--wrong panasonic model sent! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you keep the 850u or ship it back and start looking for the 800u again?
Keep the 850u--It's as good if not better than the 800u! 0 0%
The 800u is better--ship the 850u back and start again! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After doing my research, I finally settled on a Panasonic 50PZ800u for my apartment and purchased one on 6ave for a little less than 1900 total. In looking at the "Schedule Shipping" email that was sent yesterday, I've discovered they are shipping me the 50PZ850u instead.

So my question is, should I keep it?

I don't think it's an accident--the 50PZ800u is no longer available on their site. I think they just gave me a free "upgrade". So it's not a question of stealing.

I'm leaning towards keeping it, if only because "a bird in the hand" etc. But I chose the 800u for the following reasons:

1.) THX certified--People have said the 850u can replicate the same quality of picture as the 800u's THX mode if you really want to get in the menu and tweak at it. I'm willing, but know next to nothing about what the screen should look like, and the idea that someone else already did it for me was appealing. But if I have someone professionaly calibrate it (as I was planning to anyway) wouldn't they set the colors for me? Does this make the THX mode moot in the 800u?

2.) Consumer reports gave a higher grade to the 800u in DVD playback quality. Now our set will be 40% sports, 40% other programming, 10% gaming, and 10% movie (DVD, then eventually blu-ray) viewing. Can anyone tell me how big of a difference there actually is in DVD viewing between the two models?

3.) It seems the majority of posts I've looked at have people advocating for the 800u over the 850u--although much of that is because of the price. Since they sent me the 850u for the same cost as the 800u, that's not a strike against the 850u. Are there any other reasons to get the 800u over the 850u aside from the three I have listed here?

The set is already in transit (although it won't make it across the country for five days, I'm sure) so my options are:

--Say I don't want it, have it sent back and look for the 800u elsewhere
--Just suck it up and keep the darn thing

As I said, I'm leaning towards keeping it not only because I'd rather have the bird in hand, but also because I was at my local best buy and was told the 800u is extremely hard to find due to it being oversold by Panasonic. This situation with 6ave.com confirms what he told me, I guess. My fear is if I send the 850u back and try to find the 800u, either I will pay a much higher cost than what I thought I was getting from 6ave (for what could be a minimal increase in quality), none will be available (forcing me to get the 850u anyway), or the same thing will happen where I order the 800u and they "upgrade" me to the 850u because the 800u is out of stock.

So, do I send it back and begin my search anew for the 800u, or do I just suck it up and keep the 850u? (Or do I consider myself lucky to get a better tv for less than 1900?)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I also forgot to mention that I will be sitting 13-14.5 feet from the television, so is another option to send back the 50 inch pz85u and upgrade to the 58 inch 800u or 850u? Cost isn't a huge deal (I mean, I'm not made of money, but since I"m already dropping 1900, what's another grand?), I'm just concerned that the 58 inch would be too big for the room and sitting 13 feet away. That's why I originally went with the 50 inch. So should I send it back and go bigger or is that not an option I should consider with how close I'll be to the screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Liked: 12
Ive been searching far and wide for the 50pz800u, because i didnt feel like paying the price upgrade to the 850 model. but it seems panasonic itself doesnt have the 800 in stock, so i might get stuck with paying more than i wanted for the 850 model. the price point at which you are getting the 850 is really good. actually cheaper than the 50pz850 on epp direct from panasonic. I would keep it.

sig
post #3 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Doing a side-by-side spec's comparision @ Panasonic's web site indicates the only feature the 800U has that the 850U does not is the THX Mode stamp of approval, which IMO is nothing more than a sales gimmick.

"THX Display certification signifies that VIERA HDTV has been designed and tested to achieve THX's rigorous standards for image performance and quality, ensuring a superb cinematic experience at home"

I would just keep the 850U.
post #4 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
THX isn't quite a sales gimmick. The 800u has more accurate colors than the 850 can ever achieve.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Keep the 850, keep the 850. A lot of people don't even like the THX mode's picture, they adjust it anyway. Do a search +800u +850u. Everybody will have a different opinion. Too much of a hassle to return, consider yourself lucky and keep the 850u if I haven't already mentioned that.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
consider yourself lucky the retailer didn't downgrade your purchase, or just cancel it.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

THX isn't quite a sales gimmick. The 800u has more accurate colors than the 850 can ever achieve.

So chrisherbert, is it worth me sending the 850u back and try to find the 800u for that feature?
post #8 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapedcrusader View Post

So chrisherbert, is it worth me sending the 850u back and try to find the 800u for that feature?

I don't know. Are you sensitive to inaccurate color?

If you do decide to return it, I'd consider getting something bigger.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know. Are you sensitive to inaccurate color?

If you do decide to return it, I'd consider getting something bigger.

Just like anything else, if it's too inaccurate, then sure. But if it's minimal, then probably not. My biggest concern is flesh tones. I have a Hanspree LCD in the bedroom and the choices are either red or green flesh.

I'd like to avoid that. But if it's a reasonable facsimile, then accuracy is less important. I'm not onlining anything using the plasma. I just want to watch sports, play video games, and watch the occasional DVD.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chrisherbert... How do you know this?
I'm curious: Did you read this somewhere, if so where. Did you do extensive testing and comparisons personally?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I'd like to know how you come to profess such a strong statement. I'm in the market for a new unit and am gathering as much information as possible to make an informed purchase.

Thanks.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #11 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just like anything else, if it's too inaccurate, then sure. But if it's minimal, then probably not. My biggest concern is flesh tones. I have a Hanspree LCD in the bedroom and the choices are either red or green flesh.

I'd like to avoid that. But if it's a reasonable facsimile, then accuracy is less important. I'm not onlining anything using the plasma. I just want to watch sports, play video games, and watch the occasional DVD.

The standard Panasonic plasmas (px80, pz80, pz85) have very inaccurate color that I find to be really distracting. The 850 may have better color than those but it won't be as good as the 800u.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The 850 is a heck of a lot more adjustable than the 800 however. He should be able to dial it into whatever he likes without a problem. If the Pioneer hadn't dropped so drastically in price, I would have bought the 850.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if your not worried about the money I'd go with the Pioneer or move up to the 58" PZ800.

Also, US Appliace, which I think is probably a better outfit than 6th, but nothing really wrong with 6th ave either, has the 50" PZ850 for $1,649.00 delivered so you might want to push 6th ave on the price if you stay with the PZ850.

My thinking on the 850 is that once it's calibrated you will be just as happy with it as you would have been with an 800 plus you pickup a few more features on the 850.
post #14 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Keep the 850, keep the 850. A lot of people don't even like the THX mode's picture, they adjust it anyway. Do a search +800u +850u. Everybody will have a different opinion. Too much of a hassle to return, consider yourself lucky and keep the 850u if I haven't already mentioned that.

This is what I was going to say....not many videophiles will use a preset as-is. I would keep the 850U.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #15 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I would like more adjusted settings to dial in to what you like, But if money is no concern i would get a pioneer which is around 2gs, or an elite which is around under 3gs, heck around less then you plan on spending another grand .

Pioneer elite = best out there pawns everything blows out of the water etc etc whatever you like to say the elite is the best

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #16 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

At your seating Distance, I would go with a Larger HDTV!!! 58-60" range. See if you look at this chart, 60" would be better then 50"!!!
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
post #17 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:

If this is the case you should buy a Pioneer Elite or Signature series PDP and use the "Pure" picture mode setting... by comparison Panasonic PDPs render "clown" colors.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

After doing my research, I finally settled on a Panasonic 50PZ800u for my apartment and purchased one on 6ave for a little less than 1900 total. In looking at the "Schedule Shipping" email that was sent yesterday, I've discovered they are shipping me the 50PZ850u instead.

So my question is, should I keep it?

Have you called your vendor and confirmed that they are actually sending you the 850 model? It might just be a typing error in the email.

Who is your vendor? I find it very strange that a vendor would unilaterally decide to just change the order, especially on such a high ticket item, without first contacting the customer, and getting permission from them to make the substitution. That is standard business practice.

I, personally, would not want to do business with any company that would just go ahead and change my order without first getting my permission.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Have you called your vendor and confirmed that they are actually sending you the 850 model? It might just be a typing error in the email.

Who is your vendor? I find it very strange that a vendor would unilaterally decide to just change the order, especially on such a high ticket item, without first contacting the customer, and getting permission from them to make the substitution. That is standard business practice.

I, personally, would not want to do business with any company that would just go ahead and change my order without first getting my permission.

In the OP's case, they are sending him a more expensive, higher end model at no extra cost. For most people (myself included) this wouldn't be a problem.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #20 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

In the OP's case, they are sending him a more expensive, higher end model at no extra cost. For most people (myself included) this wouldn't be a problem.

So, if he accepts the change and agrees that he was notified in advance by email, what if they then charge him the extra cost? He did not say that the email notified him that they were substituting the higher end model, but only going to charge him the lower model price.

By not contacting them and confirming what they are really doing, he may be just letting himself in for a bunch of headaches.
post #21 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

I sit 15' away from a 65" Panny and it doesn't seem big enough. Go bigger.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
It color accuracy was as important to you as is it is to me, I'd say get a Sammy 550/650 series.
However, since it appears they no longer have 800u's and color just has to be ok for you, I'd keep the 850. I'm sure you'll be happy.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nope, I called and two different cust. service reps confirmed they were sending me the 850u. The second guy even said, "Why the hell did they do that for?"

Quote:

The vendor was (is) 6ave.com. I get why they did it--the 850u is the more expensive model, so 99% of customers would probably be happy with getting an "upgrade" to a more expensive model.

I, however, was not.

So, an update: I called 6ave today (after calling on Sunday and told that I needed to talk to a manager today (Monday)) and explained my situation again. 6ave said they will refund the money charged and have the 850u shipped back. I said great, let me talk to a sales person because I want something else.

So in theory, I should never see the 850u on my doorstep and all money will be refunded. I purchased instead the Pioneer Elite 111FD 50" for just under 2800.

My question now is: What do you think of my decision? Was it worth dropping an extra 900 to get the same size Pioneer Elite?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It really helped make my decisions easier (although I guess I went against nearly everyone's advice and cancelled the 850u...)
post #24 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My question now is: What do you think of my decision? Was it worth dropping an extra 900 to get the same size Pioneer Elite?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It really helped make my decisions easier (although I guess I went against nearly everyone's advice and cancelled the 850u...)

Interesting... you ask us for advice. You don't take our 'collective' advice and now you ask what we think of your decision.

Here's what I would have done: I would have spent the extra money to get a larger TV. You sit far enough back (13-14.5 ft) where the extra real estate would have been well worth it. I don't think the difference between the 850 and 111FD would outweigh the size advantage from that distance.

But you already made your decision... why ask us now?

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #25 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope, I called and two different cust. service reps confirmed they were sending me the 850u. The second guy even said, "Why the hell did they do that for?"

The vendor was (is) 6ave.com. I get why they did it--the 850u is the more expensive model, so 99% of customers would probably be happy with getting an "upgrade" to a more expensive model.

I, however, was not.

So, an update: I called 6ave today (after calling on Sunday and told that I needed to talk to a manager today (Monday)) and explained my situation again. 6ave said they will refund the money charged and have the 850u shipped back. I said great, let me talk to a sales person because I want something else.

So in theory, I should never see the 850u on my doorstep and all money will be refunded. I purchased instead the Pioneer Elite 111FD 50" for just under 2800.

Well everyone has their own wants and needs when it comes to a TV. For me, at least size has a way of enveloping you into the picture. You just feel more immersed. Obviously if that size comes at the cost of picture quality, then it becomes less worth it (i.e. if you got a 65" Sharp LCD). However if the PQ difference isn't exactly huge then for me going bigger adds to the experience. I have a Panasonic 65pf10uk and love it (got an insane deal on it). Would I be happy with a 60" Kuro. Sure I would, but the premium you pay for better picture is too high and I personally don't feel the difference is that huge. By getting an Elite you'll probably need to get it calibrated. If not you might as well have just gotten the 5020fd for $2000. Actually if you had gotten the 5020fd I would have been less baffled at your decision. I personally, in that situation, would have gotten the 58pz800u for $2500 and called it a happy day. There are those who may disagree with what I have said, however, particularly for those that if it's not "the best" then it's not good enough. With your decision you'll get a great plasma, particularly if you calibrate it, but my eyes don't see a big enough difference to warrant the premium paid for it. Welcome to the Kuro family.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Interesting... you ask us for advice. You don't take our 'collective' advice and now you ask what we think of your decision.

Here's what I would have done: I would have spent the extra money to get a larger TV. You sit far enough back (13-14.5 ft) where the extra real estate would have been well worth it. I don't think the difference between the 850 and 111FD would outweigh the size advantage from that distance.

But you already made your decision... why ask us now?

shane

Because he needs validation since he is an ill informed consumer he can't be happy with his purchase without running it through a bunch of strangers.
post #27 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Liked: 17
I've run primary and secondary measurements on both the 850 and the 800 and the difference isn't as dramatic as one is led to believe.

I used both the I1Pro Beamer and the new Spyder3, with similar results.

Due to the testing I chose to go with the 850 series for its better black levels.

I've also found that after a full and thorough ISF calibration the CIE charts looked practically the same, so for the money your getting the 850 for, its a no brainer, keep the 850.

The flesh tones are great with just alittle tweaking.
post #28 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

It color accuracy was as important to you as is it is to me, I'd say get a Sammy 550/650 series.
However, since it appears they no longer have 800u's and color just has to be ok for you, I'd keep the 850. I'm sure you'll be happy.

I traded my 650 Sammy for my present Panasonic 850.

Yes, the Sammy could be more accurately calibrated when it came to color, but its other short comings led to me swapping it out for the Panasonic.

The colors on the 850 series are far better then just O.K.
post #29 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

If this is the case you should buy a Pioneer Elite or Signature series PDP and use the "Pure" picture mode setting... by comparison Panasonic PDPs render "clown" colors.

I find this comment hilarious considering I was ISF trained on Pioneer plasmas.

Pioneers are more accurate, depending on model, but the testing I've done on the 800 and 850 series Panasonics have shown colors that are far from what one would consider "clown colors".
post #30 of 34 Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Here are my final calibration charts including the CIE,
the colors aren't perfect, but excellent none the less.

This is for the 850, which by the way is far more tweak able.
LL

Final CIE.pdf 23.94140625k . file
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page