How common is "dirty screen effect" for current Pioneer 9G Owners? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So I have decided to upgrade my Pioneer 5080 to a 5020. I competely forgot about my past dirty screen effects issues and am now a little worried the new set will have them. Long story short, I started out with the 4280 about a year and a half ago. It had pretty bad dirty screen effect. It started to bother me as I would notice it any time the camera panned during light colored scenes. I decided to sell it a year ago and bought the 5080. That set was completely free of dirty screen effect (if it did have it I couldn't tell ). I have read a few posts about users with the 9G panels reporting the same dirty screen issues. I though Pioneer would of fixed this issue? I know at the time they told me it was normal even though my friends 4280 (and my 5080 after that) was completely clean screen wise. Anyone notice this or is it a small issue on certain sets? I am half tempted to consider a Panasonic 50PZ800u (the Pioneer set won't ship until this morning so I could still cancel/change the order) but I originally bought the Pioneer for the orbiter feature for games (No IR ever on either pioneer I have owned) and the black levels. My friend has the 50PZ800u and it is a great set but IR takes a few minutes to a few hours to get rid of even after just 30 seconds of a static image. I know it does go away but I guess I have been spoiled by the Pioneer's. As a person that has dealt with "dirty screen effect" in the past, I know that a bad case of it makes it VERY hard to enjoy the set. At the same time I know every set including the Panasonic's have their quirks and issues that simply can't be fixed. Maybe I am worrying about nothing and just a little to paranoid . Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
There are converts who claim that switching from plasma to LCD is akin to wiping a film of dirt off the plasma's glass.
post #3 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
As someone who owns both an 800U (46") and a 9G Elite, I can tell you that the Pioneer has a lot better picture. The 800U is quite good but the Elite is another level up from that. I have had no evidence of the "dirty screen effect" on my Elite, which I have had since August of 2008.

post #4 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Liked: 23
I've never even heard of a "dirty screen effect" before. Nor have I ever seen it.
post #5 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will never go back to LCD. I got tired of dealing with clouds, flashlighting, etc. on every set I tried including the high end Sony XBR's. I think that Pioneer makes the best plasma's but they are pricey. Of course with the recent price drop the 5020 can be found at some places for the same price or less than the 800u. I do know the dirty screen was in the 8g's and is talked about quite a bit in the 9g's on the avforums in the UK. When I had my issue with my 4280 that forum was the only one really reporting about this issue so I hung out there to get more info. I am getting it from a forum sponsor so I will have 14 days to inspect it in case I have issues. I am a big gamer so for me the Pioneer made the most sense when I purchased it.
post #6 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

As someone who owns both an 800U (46") and a 9G Elite, I can tell you that the Pioneer has a lot better picture. The 800U is quite good but the Elite is another level up from that. I have had no evidence of the "dirty screen effect" on my Elite, which I have had since August of 2008.

Likewise, I have had my Elite since October 2007 (PRO-150FD) and I am very happy with the picture. I must say that I have no idea what this "dirty screen effect" even is!
post #7 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post

I've never even heard of a "dirty screen effect" before. Nor have I ever seen it.

Just do a search here or at avforums.com and you will find info on it. It doesn't effect every set but can be very annoying if you have a bad case of it.
post #8 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Liked: 10
Well I'm just running the break-in disc & D-Nice's break-in settings, but I can claim that the solid colors displayed are not 100% uniform. It's like there's tiny faint clouds on the screen.
post #9 of 455 Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I could see what people are talking about with that "effect" but then took D-Nice's advice and actually "washed" the screen with distilled water and a microfibre cloth and took off all the gunk that was on there. There was actually a pretty good layer of "oily" residue on there and now the "effect" is gone.
post #10 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM

I bought a 9G Elite and I'm suffering from the same thing. The dirty cloudy haze on the screen is particulatily noticeable in video games where a lot of panning against solid colors is done. Even in some movies you can see the effect.

Anyways, the reason I'm asking is that in about 10 days my return period is up. My set buzzes as well so I'm wondering if I should think about returning the set for a different one. Ideally, I get a set with no buzz and a completely uniform screen. Worst case, I get one that's even worse!

What do you folks think I should do? Is it worth taking the chance?
post #11 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

There are converts who claim that switching from plasma to LCD is akin to wiping a film of dirt off the plasma's glass.

That's a good one, thanks for the smile.
post #12 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychot|K View Post

I bought a 9G Elite and I'm suffering from the same thing. The dirty cloudy haze on the screen is particulatily noticeable in video games where a lot of panning against solid colors is done. Even in some movies you can see the effect.

Anyways, the reason I'm asking is that in about 10 days my return period is up. My set buzzes as well so I'm wondering if I should think about returning the set for a different one. Ideally, I get a set with no buzz and a completely uniform screen. Worst case, I get one that's even worse!

What do you folks think I should do? Is it worth taking the chance?

I think if it bothers you that much send it back. I have a feeling this issue goes a litle deeper than just the odd set here and there.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
post #13 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM

That's what I'm worried about...
I'm worried that I'll take it back, only to get one just as bad (or worse).

Did you get your new replacement panel?
I remember you said you had the dirty screen as well.
post #14 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

It will be delivered this week. I'm hoping this is not as common as I have a feeling that it is so I'm being positive.

post #15 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 12:07 PM

My 9G 151 is simply flawless. I have had it for 3 months today and I STILL can't get over how awesome the picture is. Watched House HD last nite, damn 13 was looking so fine felt like she was in the room with me.
post #16 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

It will be delivered this week. I'm hoping this is not as common as I have a feeling that it is so I'm being positive.

It has been reported by some people but it is not that common. It has also been reported that it tends to go away over time (usually within a couple of hundred hours of use) with most sets. There have been a few sets with defects where this is not the case.

post #17 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It has been reported by some people but it is not that common. It has also been reported that it tends to go away over time (usually within a couple of hundred hours of use) with most sets. There have been a few sets with defects where this is not the case.

Good because I can't wat to get my replacment unit. The defects in my TV are in the glass and will not go away.

post #18 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I'm just running the break-in disc & D-Nice's break-in settings, but I can claim that the solid colors displayed are not 100% uniform. It's like there's tiny faint clouds on the screen.

Keep running the break-in images. I had this too early on, but has almost diminished to next to nothing around 120 hrs.
post #19 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

LOL I think that would be called a downgrade not a conversion.
post #20 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
for everyone, no tv is perfect as we all know that, so its YMMV senerio, if you do get DSE that is visable it WILL go away as you log more hrs (usuage) over time.

Buzzing all tvs buzz however to the extent that you can hear it or not then thats a diffrent story,

I would keep a 9g eilte even if it had DSE as it goes away over time, and i defintitely keep a 9g over another tv brand its worth the flaws for the superior picture quality.

For those of you who bought in a chain store that has exchange policy, exchange it if its free to do so, if the next set is worse dont sweat it exchange it again.

Just dont forget its in its nature to have a buzz plasma to what intensity is the question YMMV

same with stuck/dead pixels you will have atleast 1 pixel more commonly then no dead pixels.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #21 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

Keep running the break-in images. I had this too early on, but has almost diminished to next to nothing around 120 hrs.

I already have over 200 hours on the break-in images actually. Possibly closer to 220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

for everyone, no tv is perfect as we all know that, so its YMMV senerio, if you do get SDE that is visable it WILL go away as you log more hrs (usuage) over time.

Buzzing all tvs buzz however to the extent that you can hear it or not then thats a diffrent story,

I would keen a 9g eilte even if it had DSE as it goes away over time, and i defintitely keep a 9g over another tv brand its worth the flaws for the superior picture quality.

For those of you who bought in a chain store that has exchange policy, exchange it if its free to do so, if the next set is worse dont sweat it exchange it again.

Just dont forget its in its nature to have a buzz plasma to what intensity is the question YMMV

same with stuck/dead pixels you will have atleast 1 pixel more commonly then no dead pixels.

Not quite sure what SDE stands for. And it also doesn't appear to be going away. Maybe it's just me looking for it, but I almost think it's getting more noticeable.
post #22 of 455 Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sorry i meant DSE = dirty screen effect, and the more hours you have log the less its visable. you neeed severeal hundred of hrs.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #23 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry i meant DSE = dirty screen effect, and the more hours you have log the less its visable. you neeed severeal hundred of hrs.

So it would NOT be worth taking the set back as I would have to put in the same amount of time for the DSE to go away on the new set as well?
post #24 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So it would NOT be worth taking the set back as I would have to put in the same amount of time for the DSE to go away on the new set as well?

Maybe if what some are saying is true that it's not as common as I think it is then you may get a panel without it.

It terms of nothing is perfect I agree but when you buy something that has gold lettering in the word Elite you kind of expect well something Elite.

post #25 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

This improvement is simply because the initial burn off period of the phosphors has transpired.

The image rendered by any PDP will improve after the first 200 - 300 hours of operation once the phosphors have some time to wear in.

My understanding is that phosphor wear is fastest when new and then at a very gradual pace after the break in period, which is why the image rendered by a PDP improves with short term use of the display.
post #26 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

Maybe if what some are saying is true that it's not as common as I think it is then you may get a panel without it.

It terms of nothing is perfect I agree but when you buy something that has gold lettering in the word Elite you kind of expect well something Elite.

Well said
post #27 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if any owners of the 141 monitor had seen this "dirty screen effect." I know I didn't on mine. This could be explained by the 100 hour factory break-in period or it could be because of their elevated QC process on the Signatures or it could be simply because of a smaller statistical sampling of the problem.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #28 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

I could see what people are talking about with that "effect" but then took D-Nice's advice and actually "washed" the screen with distilled water and a microfibre cloth and took off all the gunk that was on there. There was actually a pretty good layer of "oily" residue on there and now the "effect" is gone.

What exactly is distilled water? I know it is probably a dumb question. Would this be like bottle water? I realize distilled water is removed of chemicals etc. I have the microfiber cloth that came with the Kuro. Would I just dip the microfiber cloth in the water and then ring it out and then wash the screen? Any special way I would need to wash it or dry it? Would I "air" dry it?
post #29 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

for everyone, no tv is perfect as we all know that, so its YMMV senerio, if you do get DSE that is visable it WILL go away as you log more hrs (usuage) over time.

DSE is not the same thing as the no input blotching. the DSE will not go away with time.
post #30 of 455 Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Well, I called Pioneer and I'm having a tech some by soon. When I mentioned the buzzing issue, they say it's normal. But when I mentioned the dirty/cloudy screen effect, he sounded like he never heard of it.

I'll let you guys know what they say when they swing by.
I'm within my 30 days so I might just replace it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com