Pioneer 5010 HDMI Issues with Time Warner/Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. First time on this forum, but I have a question egarding the 5010 and my cable box.

I am very much a newbie when it comes to these issues, my 5010 replaced a small TV I bought off Craigslist. When I got the 5010 hooked up, the TW people hooked it up with component cable. Later, upon discovering what exactly HDMI was, bought a 1.3 cable off monoprice and hooked it up to the cable box and TV. I have the following two issues.

1. Whenever I change from a TV station displaying at one resolution (CNN at 1080i) to another resolution (720p), I get a green flicker on the screen for 1-2 seconds. Reading around the forums, I assume this is the TV decoding what resolution the feed is at? It also looks like there is no way around this, aside from telling the cable box to output everything at 1080i. But I don't think I want this option as I have been told I would rather have the Pioneer upscale the signal versus having the cable box do it. Are my assumptions correct?

2. More pressing is when a 720p HD channel is broadcasting a program not in HD. (Like Fox showing an old Seinfeld or Scrubs). These images look very grainy and horrible, and I think the non-HD channel shows a better image than the HD one. (The picture on regular Fox is better than the picture on Fox HD). Also, a grainy white bar appears at the top of the screen on certain 720p channels like Fox HD (but not ABC or ESPN) when its displaying a non-HD program. It's like it hasn't accurately sized the picture. Is this how its supposed to look, or is there a way I can fix this with the settings on the TV or cable box?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkygen View Post

1. Whenever I change from a TV station displaying at one resolution (CNN at 1080i) to another resolution (720p), I get a green flicker on the screen for 1-2 seconds. Reading around the forums, I assume this is the TV decoding what resolution the feed is at? It also looks like there is no way around this, aside from telling the cable box to output everything at 1080i. But I don't think I want this option as I have been told I would rather have the Pioneer upscale the signal versus having the cable box do it. Are my assumptions correct?

While I'm sure the Pioneer does a better job, the 8300 is actually a pretty decent scaler. I'd say to try fixed 1080i output and see if you notice a difference. Bet you can't.

Quote:
2. More pressing is when a 720p HD channel is broadcasting a program not in HD. (Like Fox showing an old Seinfeld or Scrubs). These images look very grainy and horrible, and I think the non-HD channel shows a better image than the HD one. (The picture on regular Fox is better than the picture on Fox HD). Also, a grainy white bar appears at the top of the screen on certain 720p channels like Fox HD (but not ABC or ESPN) when its displaying a non-HD program. It's like it hasn't accurately sized the picture. Is this how its supposed to look, or is there a way I can fix this with the settings on the TV or cable box?

This sounds like an issue with Fox, not the TV.

What you can do is go back to component. The resolution switches will be much faster (no HDMI handshack required). You also may be able to nudge the screen up a bit to hide that bar at the top of the screen. My 8G Pioneer allows that sort of adjustment only on a component source, not HDMI.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

While I'm sure the Pioneer does a better job, the 8300 is actually a pretty decent scaler. I'd say to try fixed 1080i output and see if you notice a difference. Bet you can't.

I guess its a matter of how much better the Pioneer is at scaling than the cable box. That's why I switched to HDMI in the first place. As long as the flickering isn't damaging the TV, I guess I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

This sounds like an issue with Fox, not the TV.

What you can do is go back to component. The resolution switches will be much faster (no HDMI handshack required). You also may be able to nudge the screen up a bit to hide that bar at the top of the screen. My 8G Pioneer allows that sort of adjustment only on a component source, not HDMI.

Going back to component is my last resort. (When I did so last time, I think the box only outputted at 1080i). If there is a nudging option for the bar, I haven't found it for this model, either with HDMI or component. (I don't have the issue in component).

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkygen View Post

I guess its a matter of how much better the Pioneer is at scaling than the cable box. That's why I switched to HDMI in the first place. As long as the flickering isn't damaging the TV, I guess I can live with it.

Going back to component is my last resort. (When I did so last time, I think the box only outputted at 1080i). If there is a nudging option for the bar, I haven't found it for this model, either with HDMI or component. (I don't have the issue in component).

Thanks for the quick reply.

Resolution options should be the same for component and GDMI.