Panasonic Premier Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'll be moving into new house in mid-summer I have a couple of questions about the Panasonic Premiere Plasma Series:
Panasonic Premiere Plasma

1) Are these new and/or will they be replacing the consumer PF11UK models?

2) Do you think that they will release a 58" in late summer or early fall like they did with the 11UK models?

3) Will any of our forum sponsors carry these?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
UltimateAV mag on-line just reviewed the 65 inch set: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...lasma_monitor/

Mixed results from my reading of the review.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

UltimateAV mag on-line just reviewed the 65 inch set: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...lasma_monitor/

Mixed results from my reading of the review.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, mixed results and I'm sure the premiere series has a hefty price tag also! I'll stick with my original plan and compare the new 58" V10 and 12UKs.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #4 of 11 Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dunno, the review looked pretty good to me. He doesn't specifically 'rank' it, but he mentioned it was one of the best viewing experiences he has had. I think a ranking is harder when there is no set to directly compare it to (all are smaller and cheaper). He basically raved about all HD material, but he does certainly seem to state the kuro is still better. The conclusion also mentioned no serious weaknesses at all.

With regards to the any shortcomings, he mentioned he was 'splitting hairs' quite a bit, which i guess he had to do because of the price tag. But a top-of-class 65 inch set is not going to be cheap, as all the expensive components that make the best PQ must be spread out over 65 inches. I expect the price delta will be smaller for the 50 inch size. Although that set may have little purpose if the 50 inch kuro outperforms it, even marginally.

So this set does certainly have a market who would find the 60 inch pro-151 too small and are not willing to wait to see what mid-late 2009 brings. Panasonic will probably sell a bunch of these to broadcast studios and large-scale commercial applications with cash to burn as well. Their industrial line has always sold well in these areas.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was thinking that if I were going to go any larger than 60", I would go ahead and bite the bullet and move up to a projector. In a perfect world, I would have a 60" 151 to watch regular tv programming and a 100" projector screen to watch movies and sports. For the price of a 151, I could buy a new Panny 50V10 and AE3000 projector and screen.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #6 of 11 Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

I was thinking that if I were going to go any larger than 60", I would go ahead and bite the bullet and move up to a projector. In a perfect world, I would have a 60" 151 to watch regular tv programming and a 100" projector screen to watch movies and sports. For the price of a 151, I could buy a new Panny 50V10 and AE3000 projector and screen.

just buy the AE3000+ screen plus 6 spare bulbs and watch the projector all the time.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercc View Post

I dunno, the review looked pretty good to me. He doesn't specifically 'rank' it, but he mentioned it was one of the best viewing experiences he has had. I think a ranking is harder when there is no set to directly compare it to (all are smaller and cheaper). He basically raved about all HD material, but he does certainly seem to state the kuro is still better. The conclusion also mentioned no serious weaknesses at all.

With regards to the any shortcomings, he mentioned he was 'splitting hairs' quite a bit, which i guess he had to do because of the price tag. But a top-of-class 65 inch set is not going to be cheap, as all the expensive components that make the best PQ must be spread out over 65 inches. I expect the price delta will be smaller for the 50 inch size. Although that set may have little purpose if the 50 inch kuro outperforms it, even marginally.

So this set does certainly have a market who would find the 60 inch pro-151 too small and are not willing to wait to see what mid-late 2009 brings. Panasonic will probably sell a bunch of these to broadcast studios and large-scale commercial applications with cash to burn as well. Their industrial line has always sold well in these areas.

I used the term "mixed" because, while the review indicated that the overall picture quality was pretty good to excellent, it also indicated that the set lacked color management controls, was at HDMI 1.2 and had the wrong color gamut for the HD standard. Those shortcomings shouldn't exist on a brand new $10k TV.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I used the term "mixed" because, while the review indicated that the overall picture quality was pretty good to excellent, it also indicated that the set lacked color management controls, was at HDMI 1.2 and had the wrong color gamut for the HD standard. Those shortcomings shouldn't exist on a brand new $10k TV.

True. Well, I really don't care about which version of hdmi it is, I'm not convinced hdmi 1.3 is anything but pure fluff with regards to video. 1.2 is obviously more than enough bandwidth to pass 1080p video. They did not need the audio enhancements of 1.3 since it is only a monitor, so they probably went with 1.2 because it may have better compatibility as the more thoroughly tested specification (theoretically). A pro series HDMI 1.3 board would solve this in the future, although I doubt that would be necessary for anyone, especially when this set does not support the (mosty gimmicky) enhancements that 1.3 supposedly brought to the table, such as the super-wide color gamut. Panasonic uses 1.3 on other tvs, but probably ommitted it here as it is a feature of value to best buy salesmen pushing buzz words on the comsumer sets, but not studio-type monitors.

But I agree a CMS should be there, especially on a set with so many other adjustments. And so should a switchable color gamut like the kuro elites. It should be noted though that he did not have a big problem with color, presumably because many of the other adjustments worked well.

On another note I would love to see this set in action in a theater room to check out the blacks.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM

I love Panny but I just couldn't do 10k or close to it for one. Esp. since 09 sets are just around the corner.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

just buy the AE3000+ screen plus 6 spare bulbs and watch the projector all the time.

I didn't think that you could watch a projector that much? I would think that seeing Brian Williams on the evening news on a projector would be kind of weird. Although, Trish and Cortney Reagan would be very pleasant on the big screen. How long does 1 bulb last and how difficult are they to replace?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #11 of 11 Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bulbs are easy to replace and are rated at about 3000-4000 hrs per. I love my new Kuro, but my new releases get played on the projector first.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page