Pioneer To End TV Production - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since were all speculating... I think the pio tech will be transferred to Panasonic. There is serious competition for all displays. Innovation drives sales. They still want to charge a premium for new/ leading display technology where margins are higher. I'm sure Japanese CE companies won't stop innovating as that misstep during their previous recession allowed Korean CE companies to gain a major foothold in the market. The global economy has deteriorated faster than most CE company's can adjust to. The one's with the stronger balance sheets will be left standing. My pioneer box has become a convenient coffin. I wonder if pio would qualify for any of Japan's bailout money?? Certainly the prime minister has a kuro??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

I do...

You can keep repeating that, but it doesn't make it sound any less crazy. The Samsungs are not better by any stretch of the imagination.
post #633 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
If you guys want to know which plasma not to buy next, wait untill I've made my next decision...then buy anything else!

I bought a 55" Fujitsu, beautiful set but 1 and 1/2yrs later, they shut down production.

So, I bought the next best thing,
a 60" Pioneer Elite Pro150, also a beautiful set but here I am 1 and 1/2yrs later....life is rough.

TURN IT UP!
post #634 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

When we're enjoying SED and FED tvs the year after next, it'll be "Pio what?" Every Elite will be put to shame by the technological leaps coming literally just around the corner. Believe me, the heartbroken will get over loss very quickly.

Maybe.

I hope so.

But there's more money in LCD for them. JSP thinks LCD is the best. Global recession.

I think back to Betamax. The inferior technology became the standard with little in the way of superior options for years and years.

I think it is "possible", that we have a few years where it will be true when people lament "they don't make them like they used to."

We'll see.

By definition 50% of people are below the median.
post #635 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 AM

estoniankid,

I thought I was the only one in LG that reads these forums.

It looks as though the difference from the 5020 to the 111 is now down to $700-800.
You are right, they are very similar in most respects but not identical. In short, most people believe that picture quality between the 2 is not huge but you do give up some adjustments with the 5020 which can enable the Elite to yield a better picture if you have the patience and time to DIY or have it calibrated. Unless you are really into picture accuracy, you most likely will be very happy with the 5020...it is bested only by the Elite.

I say this as I have been struggling with this very same dilemma and have spent countless hours researching and learning about the Pioneers. I got a 5020 last week and now this bombshell hits. I have a way to go with my 30 day return period so I am watching pricing on this and the Elite. Who knows what opportunities may present themselves.

Search the Pioneer Kuro owners threads here at AVS. There is tons of good information addressing exactly what you are contemplating. One thing is for sure, I'm really glad I got my Kuro when I did. I have about another 3 weeks to decide if I stay put or trade up to the Elite. Right now, I'm leaning towards hanging on to the 5020. BTW, I called Magnolia SC today and they were out of 5020's and did not expect to receive any more. One more thought, I don't know if they are still offering it but last week they were including a free Bluray player worth $300-400 with either 50" Pioneer.
post #636 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

You can keep repeating that, but it doesn't make it sound any less crazy. The Samsungs are not better by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm with millions of other crazy folk keeping Samsung in the plasma business. That is a reality that requires no imaginary stretch
post #637 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

I have been saying for 2 years that Samsung will drive Pioneer then Panasonic out of the business. Samsung is the 800lb gorilla with endless cash and a relentless cultural focus to not just beat but destroy their competition. I work with these people and they are relentless.

There's no love loss between the Koreans and Japanese.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #638 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 AM

Liked: 13
went out today and got my 111FD, and if the price drops in the next 45 days i get the price difference. not bad id say

Pioneer Elite 111FD and Onkyo 6100B 7.1
post #639 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

So glad I bought my kuros when I did. Pio kuro will be missed by many.
post #640 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

There's no love loss between the Koreans and Japanese.

Indeed. I have little respect for Korean electronic products to be honest. From what I believe and see, a few years back, they ripped off a lot of the Japanese R&D thus allowing them to sell products at a cheaper price. Every Korean product I have owned, particularly those from LG and Samsung has had flaws that have the "poor mans copy" feeling to them.

But the reality is, that it is companies like Samsung who are responsible for the demise of Pioneer. They undercut with ripped off technology that is produced cheaper and manufacturers like Pioneer just can't survive. A lot of those Korean products are excellent value for money as a result but they are not the same quality in my opnion.

Perhaps we should have all stuck behind our Japanese heroes a little bit more and avoided the temptation to buy those cheaper Korean products instead!
post #641 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think we the people need to start spending some coin. It takes a group effort to make this move forward.
I'm getting really tired of hearing about companies going out of business, cutting back production, moving in another direction... blah blah blah

Just 2 years ago, I like many others where sitting happy , money in the bank, good job , live was beautiful. Now everything is messed up why??? Come on man is it that hard to fix the economy? How as a powerful nation allow ourselves to get this weak?

Pioneer makes the best Tv's period. To hear they are pulling out is a flat out crime. There are levels of products and for good reasons. Good better best.

So my question is , all the money we all made over the last 5 years, where is all the money?
post #642 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 AM

Liked: 18
Nature abhors a vacuum.

While I recently bought a 6020, and while I hate to see companies go out of business, someone will step up to the plate. It may take a year or perhaps a bit longer, but in the not too distant future, Panny or someone else will make a set that will be better than what Pioneer offers at this point in time.

I paid over 10K for a 50 inch Pio about 4-5 years ago. Looked terrific at the time, but now it is garbage. Almost any 1080P set, at a fraction of the price blows the old Pio out of the water.

Technology will not stand still.
post #643 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

Technology will not stand still.

Tell that to the millions of miles of cold dark fiber laying underground now

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #644 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The saddest part of this to me is that once more high quality has been killed by either convenience or price considerations. There seems to be little concern any more for owning the best, except for a very small number of people who are not sufficient in numbers to sustain any company in an era of rapidly changing technology and a poor economy. We have already seen .mp3 and iPods pretty much wipe high quality sound off the map and now I think market forces are pushing TVs toward least common denominator performance. Oh well, glad I have my 151 and just hope it holds up for many years. I don't look for anything to best it for quite a while. I would like to hope I will be wrong; but I wouldn't bet on it.

post #645 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

If you guys want to know which plasma not to buy next, wait untill I've made my next decision...then buy anything else!

I bought a 55" Fujitsu, beautiful set but 1 and 1/2yrs later, they shut down production.

So, I bought the next best thing,
a 60" Pioneer Elite Pro150, also a beautiful set but here I am 1 and 1/2yrs later....life is rough.

So, what stocks do you buy so I can short them.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #646 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
We will see at years end how relavent the post in this thread truely are. None of these companies will be in business. That's the only way out of this economic mess that we are all in. Yes--ALL! Recovery will not begin until there are not enough businesses and services to support the lifestyle of the wealthy. Here's a small list of entities that if they go down will surely get the powers that be off of their collective butts:

McIntosh
Bryston
Wilson
Revel
Wadia
The Golf Courses in South Florida and latitudes further south
Eatery's that serve lobster tails while valet's dust off the Bentley

You get the message..........
post #647 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Tell that to the millions of miles of cold dark fiber laying underground now

Where is this?
post #648 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Speaking of companies going away. Is Proton still around. I think they're gone but I used to love their monitors.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
post #649 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just can't help but mention that off-axis is hardly LED-BL LCD's ONLY achilles heel, try:

Blacks: still inferior blacks when using real-world media (yes, I realize they can probably produce a similar TOTAL black screen, but who watches this?). Not me.

Blooming: Can't speak for anyone else, but it sure bothers me.

Motion: I've taken a SERIOUS elongated look at EVERY LCD on the market and NONE of them reproduce motion as naturally as a Kuro. None of them. Yes, they've gotten better, but still fall short.

I don't doubt that the tech can be pushed furhter yet, but I think it's almost laughable that it's "there" now (or perhaps even next year).

Just take a look at EVERY major mag's declaration of this year's TOP display- NOT the 950, NOT the XBR....someone fill in the blank for me!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #650 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems like Pioneer got a lil dose of Karma, I won't be shedding any tears.

At least this will give other companies an example of how not to piss off and alienate your users.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #651 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 AM

my guess is pioneers technology will trickle into panasonics pdps. maybe the next gen of pannys will be as good as the current kuros.
post #652 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

When we're enjoying SED and FED tvs the year after next, it'll be "Pio what?" Every Elite will be put to shame by the technological leaps coming literally just around the corner. Believe me, the heartbroken will get over loss very quickly.

But it is too bad that this product is being discontinued. Their number one issue was that they were unfordable.

If you thought Pioneer Elites were too high priced, then wait & be prepared for the sticker shock you'll receive when the first few generations of OLED or whatever the next emerging video tech are produced. Time for all "early adopters" to step forward.
post #653 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Nope, it's Samsung

Samsung's revenue last fiscal year was double Panasonic's, but Panasonic has more employees. Panasonic also spends millions every year on the Panasonic/Toyota F1 team, which bleeds money like nothing else on the market.

Panasonic are not in danger of being "pushed" out of the market by anyone other than the economy.
post #654 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

If you thought Pioneer Elites were too high priced, then wait & be prepared for the sticker shock you'll receive when the first few generations of OLED or whatever the next emerging video tech are produced. Time for all "early adopters" to step forward.

surely these new technologies, OLED, SED et al , will be delayed further due to this economy. And perhaps they will suffer the same fate as the Pioneer plasma

[apologies to Auditor]
post #655 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halog View Post

Since were all speculating... I think the pio tech will be transferred to Panasonic. There is serious competition for all displays. Innovation drives sales. They still want to charge a premium for new/ leading display technology where margins are higher. I'm sure Japanese CE companies won't stop innovating as that misstep during their previous recession allowed Korean CE companies to gain a major foothold in the market. The global economy has deteriorated faster than most CE company's can adjust to. The one's with the stronger balance sheets will be left standing. My pioneer box has become a convenient coffin. I wonder if pio would qualify for any of Japan's bailout money?? Certainly the prime minister has a kuro??

I understand your point about the technology going to Panasonic, however I doubt it will be "transferred" in the loose sense. With Sharp having a 15% stake in Pio and having lost 85% of their money last year they are surely going to want top $ (yen) for what they see as the valuable enterprise of Pio's Plasma business. There's probably only 2 interested parties, Samsung with a 35% share of the plasma screen business and Panasonic with a 45% share of the plasma business.

Panny was contracted to make Pio's screens however they already have a far greater share of the marketplace than the Kuro, which only had a 4% market share. So I'm not sure how Pio's technology helps Panasonic make more money when Pio couldn't make any money with their technology.

Samsung is a darkhorse in the discussion and could potentially offer a higher price than Panny if they felt that Pio's IP might give them a compeititive edge against Panny.

Both Panny and Samsung however probably do no see great value in Pio's technology (in terms of making money) given their own issues fighting LCDs and the fact that their own plasma technology has a far greater share of the market than Pio did. They both may be forecasting a future that transitions away from plasma which would undermine Pio's technology value even more.

Sharp has no real interest in the Pio technology since they are focused on LCDs.

So in the end, its really going to come down to how low will Sharp/Pio be willing to go to unload their plasma business to Sammy or Panny? If they're willing to take a big enough loss by selling it at a rock bottom price than maybe Panny or Sammy will be able to bring it back to the market under their brand and still make some money at it.

Still unclear how much of a loss Pio can or will take on dumping the plasma business, particularly given the projections about their upcoming earnings report. Next Thursday morning will clarify alot however I suspect some deal will get cut with one of the other plasma makers before the end of the day on Wed. Just my hunch.

OPPO BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #656 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halog View Post

Since were all speculating... I think the pio tech will be transferred to Panasonic.

Some of it already has, the 54" Neo PDPeco (Z-Series) will be the first plasma from Panasonic to feature technology co-developed by the two.

post #657 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So if Pioneer gets rid of their Kuro Plasmas, that probably means they'll discontinue the whole Kuro brand and get rid of the FPJ1 (RS2 clone)?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #658 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uminchu
If you are referring to price and market share, then I agree with you. But I believe that he was referring to product innovation and perceived quality, at least among videophiles and industry pundits. If so, then I agree with his take as well. Different forms of leadership exist within the same game.

I do but that's not my point at all. It doesn't matter what you, I or the rest of the relatively tiny community of videophiles think. Our numbers are miniscule. It's the 99.9% out there that affects the bottom line.
You don't have to like it, it's just the way it is!

Paul, I agree with your point. We can like what we like, prefer what we prefer, make our own choices and vote with our wallets. At the end of the day, we are but a single vote each, and it's the market as a whole that calls the final shot. In Pioneer's case, that has become the literal truth.

It doesn't bother me that you prefer Sammy while I prefer Kuro. You chose the display you like the best, and you get to enjoy it every day. You win. I feel that I can honestly say the same thing about my choice, so IMO we are both right. Pioneer's exit from the display market doesn't change that in the least.

I do feel though, that at the end of the day, Pioneer's exit from the display market hurts the market as a whole. IMO, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG/Phillips all make terrific plasmas for a better price (Vizio and the rest are assemblies based on those manufacturer's glass). But Pioneer led the PDP innovation parade, while the rest endeavored to keep up. In today's global economy, I think the plasma market may suffer for that and possibly stagnate for a little while, innovation-wise. But only temporarily. The market has a way of bouncing back and moving on, be it PDP, LCD or the next new best thing.
post #659 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Indeed. I have little respect for Korean electronic products to be honest. From what I believe and see, a few years back, they ripped off a lot of the Japanese R&D thus allowing them to sell products at a cheaper price. Every Korean product I have owned, particularly those from LG and Samsung has had flaws that have the "poor mans copy" feeling to them.

But the reality is, that it is companies like Samsung who are responsible for the demise of Pioneer. They undercut with ripped off technology that is produced cheaper and manufacturers like Pioneer just can't survive. A lot of those Korean products are excellent value for money as a result but they are not the same quality in my opnion.

Perhaps we should have all stuck behind our Japanese heroes a little bit more and avoided the temptation to buy those cheaper Korean products instead!

Sounds JUST like a Japanese car company from 15 yrs or so ago. Lexus stealing Mercedes designs.
Toyota is also losing money first time since 1950. Hyundai isn't the problem , it's the economy. People are scared to spend money , nevermind 4-5k on a TV which in a couple of years , parts will be harder to find than a needle in a haystack.

Protectionism doesn't work. We can't even say buy American anymore people get all upset. I almost bought a Japenese tractor a couple years ago, but ended up with a Korean tractor. Why? Cheaper, better built, more ergonomic .....

The only way to stay ahead of competition is study them. Don't blame Koreans. Not like US companys aren't pulling the same things.

We just merge with them.
post #660 of 2692 Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Some of it already has, the 54" Neo PDPeco (Z-Series) will be the first plasma from Panasonic to feature technology co-developed by the two.

No it isn't. The Z1 is NeoPDP. NeoPDPeco is Panasonic/Pioneer tech. The first to use it would have probably been Pioneer.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page