Praise to the Plasma forum and sponsors vs the LCD Forum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot believe the difference in this forum and the LCD Forum.

I have long been a reader and contributor in the Plasma Forum and have used the sponsors a few times for purchases over the years and they have all gone smooth.

A friend wanted to buy an LCD Panel and I knew nothing about them. But she had her heart set on an LCD. A big part of that was to buy a very green TV (and they are greener, especially the LED ones). I wasn't about to argue with anyone wanting to be greener.

So I told her you should really ask in the AVSForum.com under LCD panels and ask for a sponsor to PM you on prices. She didn't feel comfortable doing that so I did it for her.

Not one LCD sponsor replied. Not one person replied on the choice of TV either. Although one Plasma Sponsor did recommend the 5010. But she didn't want a plasma.

So she was on her own. And got burned pretty badly.

She ended up wrongly picking a scam vender. She did her homework on checking out the reviews of the vender but you can hardly trust those these days. The best is word of mouth on forums these days.

The scam site basically convinced her go with the next model up that was a few $100.00 more. It supposedly had a farouda DCDi scaler built in. Well it turned out that model doesn't exist and it was fake. She was so excited that she did the upgrade.

Luckily her credit card company caught it and called her first and she declined it when she saw she was over charged on shipping and had more time to research the upgrade. She thought she was in the clear until today they attempted to charge her card again and it went through without a call from credit card company. I think she had other activity on the card when she first placed the order and it got flagged for call. But this second attempt didn't get flagged.

So now she's stuck with this crooked vender.

I'm just so disappointed in the LCD Forum where I got no help at all for her.

Kudo's to the Plasma forum and its sponsors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

I cannot believe the difference in this forum and the LCD Forum.

I have long been a reader and contributor in the Plasma Forum and have used the sponsors a few times for purchases over the years and they have all gone smooth.

A friend wanted to buy an LCD Panel and I knew nothing about them. But she had her heart set on an LCD. A big part of that was to buy a very green TV (and they are greener, especially the LED ones). I wasn't about to argue with anyone wanting to be greener.

So I told her you should really ask in the AVSForum.com under LCD panels and ask for a sponsor to PM you on prices. She didn't feel comfortable doing that so I did it for her.

Not one LCD sponsor replied. Not one person replied on the choice of TV either. Although one Plasma Sponsor did recommend the 5010. But she didn't want a plasma.

She ended up wrongly picking a scam vender. She did her homework on checking out the reviews of the vender but you can hardly trust those these days. The best is word of mouth on forums these days.

The scam site basically convinced her go with the next model up that was a few $100.00 more. It supposedly had a farouda DCDi scaler built in. Well it turned out that model doesn't exist and it was fake. She was so excited that she did the upgrade.

Luckily her credit card company caught it and called her first and she declined it when she saw she was over charged on shipping and had more time to research the upgrade. She thought she was in the clear until today they attempted to charge her card again and it went through without a call from credit card company. I think she had other activity on the card when she first placed the order and it got flagged for call. But this second attempt didn't get flagged.

So now she's stuck with this crooked vender.

I'm just so disappointed in the LCD Forum where I got no help at all for her.

Kudo's to the Plasma forum and its sponsors.

Sorry, but I don't see a correlation between an AVS LCD Forum sponsor and your friend's decision to do business with an unknown company. There are many reputable Internet sellers who do not advertise at this web site: Crutchfield, OneCall and Newegg to name three.

You could have done a better job about warning her of the pitfalls associated when choosing the lowest price advertised by some no-name seller. You should have also pointed her out to a site like "resellersratings.com" while she was still shopping for a new TV.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 03:38 PM

but that dosent change the fact that she dident get any good help in the lcd forum.
its sad when people take advantage of people like that, and we should all try to help people so they dont get in a situation like that.
post #4 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 133
LOL ok? Pricegrabber shows the lowest prices from reputable retailers on the net. I have no issues with any of the sponsors here but they are almost never lowest in price. I still don't know what the point of your post was. If you don't do the research and get burned you have no one to blame but yourself.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM

yah and if you want to complain do it in the section that the topic is discussing
post #6 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Some people just don't know guys. They shop and shop by price only. This happens the charge back starts, 30 days later a refund appears. Shopping starts again.
post #7 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

LOL ok? Pricegrabber shows the lowest prices from reputable retailers on the net. I have no issues with any of the sponsors here but they are almost never lowest in price. I still don't know what the point of your post was. If you don't do the research and get burned you have no one to blame but yourself.

RIGHT LOL, found these guys on price grabber....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ecomElectronics

Think you need to rethink your post.

LOL and to boot, I have never seen these edits on the top of a reseller rating

"We identified and removed 90 fake "Very Satisfied reviews (fake invoice numbers provided, dial-up-internet hosts) that were posted for this store. This note will expire on 3/3/2009. If the activity continues, a new note will be posted and will be permanently displayed here."

Nice scam !!
post #8 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 AM
hc2

Hopefully she can get her money back by disputing the charge. From personal experience I can recommend several places.
And in defense of the LCD forum, there are usually quite a few requests for help deciding on a TV purchase. I do not look at all of them personally because my knowledge level is not a high as some others.
And in defense of the sponsers, I imagine a request on their website or over the phone would have gotten a better response than a PM on a forum.
So did she do this purchase without checking with you?
Tuition for the Hardknox School can be expensive.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVbrat View Post

"We identified and removed 90 fake "Very Satisfied reviews (fake invoice numbers provided, dial-up-internet hosts) that were posted for this store. This note will expire on 3/3/2009. If the activity continues, a new note will be posted and will be permanently displayed here."

Nice scam !!

What is your point? The same top 10-15 stores always show up on Pricegrabber with 10000-20000 ratings. Guys like 6ave, Abes, Crutchfield, Amazon, B&H, Newegg, Butterfly, Buydig are all reliable. Stick to any of those and you'll be fine.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Forum sponsors are at the top of the page. Why didn't YOU or HER contact them. As far as "which LCD" questions. People on both forums are sick of the people that are too lazy to search for existing comparison and the same "what's best" question every 5 minutes. Don't blame us for your/her irresponsibility
post #11 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alffjeld View Post

but that dosent change the fact that she dident get any good help in the lcd forum.

So what, many posts go unanswered. An individual must take responsibility for the decisions he/she makes and it is childish to blame someone else if something goes wrong.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

And the righteous avs bearers are always the same guys found in these threads bashing their fellow avs'ers instead of just saying, "Yup, that stinks, sorry to hear".
But I guess tact and being nice is too much to ask for.

Mswlogo....stinks man, best of luck to her.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

She is very net savy. She did check reviews of the vender. But she was not savy enough to know you CANNOT trust vender reviews any more. Half of them are completely bogus. But that's not the point.

My main point is if I ask for help on the plasma forum I immediately get it. If I ask on the LCD Forum I got nothing.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Forum sponsors are at the top of the page. Why didn't YOU or HER contact them. As far as "which LCD" questions. People on both forums are sick of the people that are too lazy to search for existing comparison and the same "what's best" question every 5 minutes. Don't blame us for your/her irresponsibility

I just checked the forum sponsor ad's on the LCD Forum and all I see are the same two Plasma venders shown here. I also like to ask who folks recommend some sponsors have better reputations than others. I also wanted to compare prices from sponsors.

I didn't use an open ended question what's best. I listed a specific model but I left price off according to rules.

All I did was list a model and ask any sponsor to PM me on prices and any opinions folks may have on the model. I see no harm in that.

I've done it many times on this forum and I've seen it done many times on this forum.

I know I would have got help here. I'm sure wouldn't have been from you.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just checked the forum sponsor ad's on the LCD Forum and all I see are the same two Plasma venders shown here.

All the "plasma sponsors" also sell LCDs
post #16 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

And the righteous avs bearers are always the same guys found in these threads bashing their fellow avs'ers instead of just saying, "Yup, that stinks, sorry to hear".
But I guess tact and being nice is too much to ask for.

Mswlogo....stinks man, best of luck to her.

+1.

I am sick of seeing the same old ones bashing newcomers everytime they ask a question.
Its like some of them sit and wait for new threads to be made so they can jump in and bash the OP for creating a thread.
I understand some of them are basic questions that have already been answered in other threads, but I don't expect every newcomer to have the time to sift thru numerous threads to find the info they need either.
The best thing to do is to simply point them in the right direction and above all be respectful about it instead of making newcomers feel unwelcome and stupid for simply asking for help.

thats what this site is for..
post #17 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

All the "plasma sponsors" also sell LCDs

Correct. We sell more than display devises, also.

If I saw the post I would have answered. The plasma threads move slower in most cases. Harder to keep track in the LCD portion of AVS. (There are days I am not able to even hop on AVS. Head is spinner from direct e-mail and phone calls).

Don't worry about it though, if she does not get a product she will not pay. ( The glory of credit card use. )
post #18 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Correct. We sell more than display devises, also.

If I saw the post I would have answered. The plasma threads move slower in most cases. Harder to keep track in the LCD portion of AVS. (There are days I am not able to even hop on AVS. Head is spinner from direct e-mail and phone calls).

Don't worry about it though, if she does not get a product she will not pay. ( The glory of credit card use. )

Thanks for explaining. Didn't realize they all sold both. Might wanna change the name to Cleveland Display to be more future proof
post #19 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I cannot believe the difference in this forum and the LCD Forum

A friend wanted to buy an LCD Panel and I knew nothing about them

I told her you should really ask in the AVSForum.com under LCD panels and ask for a sponsor to PM you on prices

Not one LCD sponsor replied

She ended up wrongly picking a scam vender

now she's stuck with this crooked vender

I'm just so disappointed in the LCD Forum where I got no help at all for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

+1.

I am sick of seeing the same old ones bashing newcomers everytime they ask a question.
Its like some of them sit and wait for new threads to be made so they can jump in and bash the OP for creating a thread.
I understand some of them are basic questions that have already been answered in other threads, but I don't expect every newcomer to have the time to sift thru numerous threads to find the info they need either.
The best thing to do is to simply point them in the right direction and above all be respectful about it instead of making newcomers feel unwelcome and stupid for simply asking for help.

thats what this site is for..

Sorry for the dose of reality... I must have lost my head.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh come on....
He was just complimenting the helpful folks on this forum and is getting bashed for doing so.

Nice.

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #21 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Exactly.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, he was blaming the sponsors and everyone on the LCD forum for the poor and uniformed decison. Here are the quotes:

"Not one LCD sponsor replied. Not one person replied on the choice of TV either."

"I'm just so disappointed in the LCD Forum where I got no help at all for her."

Could she have contacted the forum sponsors? Yes

Could she have done research on the site? Yes

But she didn't and they prefer to blame others for their negligence. But welcome to the new America where everyone else is responsible for the mistakes you make.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, he was blaming the sponsors and everyone on the LCD forum for the poor and uniformed decison. Here are the quotes:

"Not one LCD sponsor replied. Not one person replied on the choice of TV either."

"I'm just so disappointed in the LCD Forum where I got no help at all for her."

Could she have contacted the forum sponsors? Yes

Could she have done research on the site? Yes

But she didn't and they prefer to blame others for their negligence. But welcome to the new America where everyone else is responsible for the mistakes you make.

Of course, you are correct in the details of his post, but I preferred to look at it in the positive light rather than the negative.

I have been reading a lot of threads lately that have just become nasty. Sure there are fools and trolls and douche bags and morons all over the place and yes, they even come here and invade our good little community.

But I don't come here to read snotty posts with bad attitude. I come here because I love to watch good video and hear great audio. A/V is fun. I usually ignore the negative because it's just not worth it nor is it part of my view of these forums. It's for information sharing and enjoyment.

I just focused on the nice things he was saying...

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #24 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

I just focused on the nice things he was saying...

Yeah, but he is ripping the same sponsors that are now sympathizing with him.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

The only reason I chimed in is that I know the OP for a long time
post #26 of 29 Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:

The 1st post seemed rather "whiney" to me, where the OP appears to lay the blame for his friend's poor decision on the participants/sponsor’s of the LCD forum.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Maybe I'm being too blunt but I am not trying to be mean. The fact is, you have to accept responsibility for the decisions you make.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVbrat View Post

Nice scam !!

Kudo's to Reseller ratings for exposing them for it.
I am sick of some of these sellers posting fake reviews for themselves.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Sorry for the dose of reality... I must have lost my head.

My post was not directed toward you optivity.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Thanks. Were done.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page