Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 102 Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman4 View Post

While we will all miss PIONEER, there's always the chance that once the economy gets better (and ultimately it will, believe it or not) that PIONEER may reenter the display business. After all PIONEER was making LCDs in Europe and was doing well in that division.

The Product Manager at Pioneer UK,in speaking to the UK's Home Cinema Choice magazine,said "We're holding onto the Kuro brand.......for now".
Perhaps negotiations with a third party are taking place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 AM

I hope they stick around because right now I just can bring myself to take down my 50 inch sammy for a 6020. I really want to but right now financially I dont think its the best thing to do.

we do have one left nib in the wharehouse at my store and we have two display sets. So i guess if they drop the price low enough I will have no choice

Def Tech members club
post #93 of 102 Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I hooked up my LD-W1 LDP to my PRO-141FD the other day. The pleasant surprise was the player powered up and seemed to work just fine. The unpleasant surprise was I was seeing a lot of white specks in the video. I tried a couple different discs and the second was better than the first but still not clean. I'm going to clean the surfaces of the discs and see if that helps. I hope the discs themselves haven't rotted. The first disc had some marring from the paper disc sleeve. The images were quite soft. This player only has composite output.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #94 of 102 Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM

bladerunner7,

As per your request, some quick screenshots......

Pioneer Elite CLD-97 LaserDisc Player connected to Input 1 of my Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd with an S-Video cable. The 111fd was set on "Optimum" mode. The camera used was a Sony point and shoot. The photos have not been manipulated (other than to resize) in anyway. I chose two discs that I thought looked good about a decade ago:

Star Wars Special Edition LaserDisc

Goldfinger - Criterion CAV

Again, these were just really quick shots with a small point and shoot. I've looked at only these 2 discs and so far no Laser Rot. Let me know what you think......
post #95 of 102 Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 AM

I spent several months off and on last year searching for the best HDTVs available. And I came to the conclusion the Pioneer Kuro Elite was it. (Thanks to a lot of reviews on this forum.) But being the penny pincher that I am, I never made the jump to purchase one.

Now I'm looking at TVs again and I came upon this info... and my heart just sank.

I haven't been keeping up on all the Pioneer news. I knew they were supposed to stop making their own panels. Did this ever happen? If so, can somebody list the models that have non-Pioneer made panels? (So I know which ones to avoid.)
post #96 of 102 Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtkommen View Post

I spent several months off and on last year searching for the best HDTVs available. And I came to the conclusion the Pioneer Kuro Elite was it. (Thanks to a lot of reviews on this forum.) But being the penny pincher that I am, I never made the jump to purchase one.

Now I'm looking at TVs again and I came upon this info... and my heart just sank.

I haven't been keeping up on all the Pioneer news. I knew they were supposed to stop making their own panels. Did this ever happen? If so, can somebody list the models that have non-Pioneer made panels? (So I know which ones to avoid.)

All kuro panels on the market are made by Pioneer. The outsource never happened and they are now shut down. ( For now).

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #97 of 102 Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Current inventory levels of PDP-5020FD seem to be disappearing quickly. Just based on a local store being out as well as several stores that were listed on Pricegrabber no longer are as they are out of stock as well.
post #98 of 102 Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoyasak View Post

bladerunner7,

As per your request, some quick screenshots......

Pioneer Elite CLD-97 LaserDisc Player connected to Input 1 of my Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd with an S-Video cable. The 111fd was set on "Optimum" mode. The camera used was a Sony point and shoot. The photos have not been manipulated (other than to resize) in anyway. I chose two discs that I thought looked good about a decade ago:

Again, these were just really quick shots with a small point and shoot. I've looked at only these 2 discs and so far no Laser Rot. Let me know what you think......

This pictures JUST ROCK, the cirt goldfinger was one of the best LD ever and I think it came with director commentary....From these pictures LD is NOT dead by a mile...what a suprise to see some quality..thats why we paid the big bucks back in the good OLD days......Long LIve LASER the format for the real movie collectors......
Do you own the geroge pal movie the power or trouble in mind..screen shots if you have them please
post #99 of 102 Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityjim View Post

Current inventory levels of PDP-5020FD seem to be disappearing quickly. Just based on a local store being out as well as several stores that were listed on Pricegrabber no longer are as they are out of stock as well.

According to D-Nice, there supposed to be a shipment of 5020's within the next 45 days.
post #100 of 102 Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

Anybody else who was into laserdisc???? any great stories..?????

Hiya Bladerunner7,

Laserdisc is co-existing in my HT setup and love this as much today as when I started way back in April-1998.

Below is a copy of the message i sent you, but thought that others might like to read...This is just my own experience and Love of the LD Format and is not to be misunderstood by others in anyway shape or form.

WOW!....WOW!....Your experience really hit me hard to say the least........very impressed with your love for Pioneer Laserdisc and Plasma 1080 screens.

I have 9 Pioneer Laserdisc players with another 2 to be purchased ''being the HLD X0 (reserved) / LD S9 (reserved) and am also purchasing Service Manuals for all of my players as well.

My last purchased player was a brand new unopened CLD-97 kept in perfect conditions and took me about 18months to payfor and then to receive from the seller in the US. This cost me a great deal in shipping and also customs charges....I personally felt that this was worth every pound / penny...as it represented an 11yr dream come true for me.

Had this delivered to my works address, opened for the very first time ''the amount of double packaging was top quality'' but then I did express my willingness to have the best shipping packaging, even though the seller tried very!...And I mean truly! tried looking for the best possible shipping company.

If you want something seriously enough then you will do your homework, be wise and thoroughly check and spend the time and patience.

I have a Pioneer service engineer who lives in the same town as myself, who is also using his Laserdisc player on a regular basis. This service engineer will be fully servicing one of my players, and shall hopfully be modifying the video path cable, to improve picture.

Although I have better players this player DVL 909 has served me for 11yrs without a hitch so I will make sure this is given the same attention with reference a full service.

I am currently in the process of purchasing the Pioneer PDP 609 which is reserved with a retailer and shall hopefully be in posession of this by the end of May, or possibly mid May ''I'm hoping''

The Japanese Pioneer Laserdisc's are better quality with a number of titles..

I currently have 22 titles reserved for me in Japan and so look forward to receiving them at some stage this year....It's all been hard work in paying for them, but are worth waiting for.

Some real rare titles are within this above order.....and just want to get hold of them, but patience is what's needed as always....

I can truly relate to your enthusiasm....

In 2007 I travelled 800 aprox miles to collect an HLD X9 which ha taken about 8 / 9 months to pay for.

When I started my AV hobby way back in 1998 I used to travel a 2 1/2hr journey each way to purchase my US Laserdisc's and spent a small fortune on them each time.

All of my collection is in pristine condition, with protective outer sleeves and high grade inner anti static....I do not have any finger print marks on any of my disc's and the pride of ownership...GREAT!

I have worked up to 84hrs a week for my collection of hardware and software, am very private and sellect my friends carefully.

My equipment gives me great joy...some people purchase things to impress others, but I am truly one of those individuals know purchases just for my own enjoyment. Yes sure if one of my brothers comes round to visit, they tend to ask me about what is this or that...and know how much hard work has gone into everything that I have....The members on this site and others have been very helpful to me in a number of ways..and weather they know this or not have become friends to me, and I to them....I WAS INSPIRED BY WHAT YOU READ FRIEND!.....you are not alone in your enthusiasm.....FACT!!!!!!!!

Humble, Sincere and Genuine Regards

From a stranger and a freind accross the Pond (as they say.)

Mark (UK)
post #101 of 102 Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Dear mark, i just read your post , as i was looking up reviews of the 909,

which i just picked up for$100, i'm from the uk, and haved lived in

the usa for 32 years, my first LD player (sony) was in 1996.

i also just picked up a cld-95 and the pq on that is fantastic.

I will be using the 909 with a dvdo iscan hd+ i got it for a steal

also . cheers Nick.
post #102 of 102 Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
Ummm......... its a tv.

Wow.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version