My PRO-111FD Calibration Results - Now with *New* Pic Comparisons - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I had Eliab of Avical over earlier today to calibrate my PRO-111FD. I had him out before to calibrate my Samsung DLP, and I couldn't wait for him to arrive and go to work on the Kuro.

Pre-calibration the display was easily the best looking I've ever seen at factory settings. However, the picture was definitely too warm and too green. While D-Nice's settings certainly helped, I felt that I was still missing the accuracy and, to a certain extent, the sort of natural richness of the calibrated DLP.

Enter Eliab. He set things up as follows:

Pure mode for very dim to pitch-black conditions
ISF Night for moderate lighting
ISF Day for extreme lighting
Movie mode for B&W material

The results are absolutely outstanding. I've now acheived the accuracy and richness that had been missing before. Combined with the amazing contrast ratio, level of detail and depth of the Kuro, I can scarcely imagine a better picture at this size.

I also find that each mode works as advertised. In low light to lights-out conditions, Pure mode performs best.

Once the lights go on, ISF Night more than makes up for the difference. It provides that extra pop that cuts through the brighter environment. I also find that I prefer it for gaming.

ISF Day came out at over 45ftL even with Powersave Mode 2 engaged, and I actually feel that it's almost too bright, even with all of the lights turned on. I imagine I'll use it only rarely for especially sunny days.

Anyway, I've been trying to run through my favorite movie scenes, but it's slow going. I'm having a difficult time tearing myself away from how good everything looks, so moving on to the next scene isn't easy.

All in all, as great as the display is out of the box and with minor tweaks, a pro-calibration takes it to another level. It almost feels like a light veil was lifted off of the screen and I'm now seeing everything with crystal clear, accurate clarity. If you're on the fence about getting it done yourself, don't be. Do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review. I'm getting a 111 next week and wasn't sure if it was worth getting it calibrated if I used D-Nice's setting, so this helps a lot.
post #3 of 42 Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Thanks for your report.. again showing the flexibility of the Elite's ISFccc Interface...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Eliab calibrated my 151 in December. It was calibrated in exactly the same way: Pure, Movie (for black & white films only), ISF Day and ISF Night with equivalent results. My brightness is not quite so high but I assume that is because I have some light control present at all times and the 60" sets are just not quite as bright due to the size. He also set up my inputs to optimize my Blu-Ray/HD DVD player, my all-region DVD player and even my old LD player. Very satisfied with the results.

post #5 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some comparisons of the different modes. These pictures were taken with ALL lights turned ON and all windows open on a sunny day and with Powersave Mode 2 engaged on the set. The conditions in the room are as bright as they can get.

Please Note: These were taken with a hand held camera held by non-steady hands. I am a horrible photographer and these pictures are in no way representative of what the display actually looks like. They are merely for the purposes of comparing brightness.

Pure Mode (all lights on, windows open):

ISF Night (all lights on, windows open):

ISF Day (all lights on, windows open):

post #6 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Wow very nice pics.
post #7 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Wow that must be seriously bright!
post #8 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

OK, am I an oddball here? I like the ISF daytime pic the best, and would probably want that at night. I like bright vivid color. Look at the green street sign on the right side of the screen. You can read the words most clearly on the last daytime pic.

Regardless....looks awesome! I also had my DLP calibrated by Eliab a while ago, and will most likely be using him again when I get my 6020 or 151FD.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ISF Day is way too bright at night, IMO. Even in the conditions I took those pictures in I think I still prefer ISF Night, but it's a close call. You can clearly read the sign under all modes. Believe me, my atrocious photography skills seriously show in these pictures.
post #10 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Holy cow.
post #11 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I'm struck by the difference between Pure & the ISF Modes overall. I've read that with the 9Gs and ISF activated, ISF offers more potential & brightness than Pure. Is this some of what I'm seeing in the overall brightness? I have an 8G 110FD - the prior model. My understanding is that ISF modes on my model would not offer the same outcomes. Nice to see these comparisons.
post #12 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, the differences are mainly in how much light output you're seeing. At night with the lights off, Pure mode looks like the ISF Day pic does. The vividness and "punch" is all there. It's simply dependant on your viewing conditions, which is why the flexibility of the Elite panels is a great advantage to have.
post #13 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 AM

How much does a calibration cost on average?
post #14 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Liked: 13
isf day looks the best. I am also getting a pro 111fd. But ABT charges 500 to calibrate not gonna pay that.

Pioneer Elite 111FD and Onkyo 6100B 7.1
post #15 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewjoe View Post

How much does a calibration cost on average?

Most charge $300 to $500 for a video claibration.
post #16 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
great review
post #17 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Damn, I'm going to have to get my set calibrated sooner rather than later.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe you can unlock the ISF modes yourself with controlcal.
post #19 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforce18 View Post

isf day looks the best. I am also getting a pro 111fd. But ABT charges 500 to calibrate not gonna pay that.

Who is ABT anyways..? I know everyone that is Licensed to use ControlCAL (so the ISFccc Interface can be activated and calibrated)... ABT doesn't sound familiar to me..

Here is the List of North American Professional Calibrators who can:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058269

I recommend you choose one from that List..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #20 of 42 Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Who is ABT anyways..? I know everyone that is Licensed to use ControlCAL (so the ISFccc Interface can be activated and calibrated)... ABT doesn't sound familiar to me..

I would guess it's probably ABT Electronics, in Glenview IL. Pretty nice place to shop at in person, and with decent prices on most of the stuff they sell.
But I would not be surprised if they did not even have their own in store calibrators, and instead actually sub-contracted out the calibrations to someone else.
post #21 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I went back and took some better pictures. I adjusted the camera settings some and I feel that the brightness level on these is more accurate to real life (especially Pure mode), however the image quality of course is no where near what it is in person. I also took these from a tripod so they're a bit less blurry overall.

These were taken with 8 lights turned on in the room and 3 windows open with the sun shining in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pure (all lights on, windows open):

ISF Night (all lights on, windows open):

ISF Day (all lights on, windows open):

post #22 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

tbird, how was your experience with Eliab, and what was his charge, you can PM me with the numbers, thanks.
post #23 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Eliab is highly professional and always a pleasure to deal with, whether he's chatting with you in detail about your TV's calibration or about your beer preferences.

His rates vary depending on your set and what you're having done. You can check them out on his website here: http://www.avical.com.
post #24 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
In that next batch of pics, Pure Mode looks the best to me. Whereas the other modes are overly bright and blown, of course this could be due to the fstop on your camera.

Aside note, I have never understood why it seems so many folks want their displays to be like search lights. To steal an audio cliche, makes my eyes bleed.

One of my buddies picked up this set as well and rocked with BR and some X360 games.

Best Regards
KvE

Hope you have many awesome years with that bad boy!

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #25 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

In that next batch of pics, Pure Mode looks the best to me. Whereas the other modes are overly bright and blown, of course this could be due to the fstop on your camera.

Aside note, I have never understood why it seems so many folks want their displays to be like search lights. To steal an audio cliche, makes my eyes bleed.

One of my buddies picked up this set as well and rocked with BR and some X360 games.

Best Regards
KvE

Hope you have many awesome years with that bad boy!

I agree, Pure does look the best in that second batch of pics, but it could be the camera as you said.

Of course, the ISF Day mode doesn't have to be that bright. It can be adjusted via controlcal.
post #26 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It's very difficult to get these photos right. I'm at the point of saying why should we even bother. Look at the last 3 photos, the "Elite" badge has different levels of visibility and thats the one thing that should be a constant brightness in all 3 photos. My Elite logo doesn't change brightness. See what I mean. We'd need like a real REAL professional photographer to take these pics.

I'm not getting on anyone just saying that it's almost futile trying to capture a pic of the screen with a camera. That being said it sure looks good too see them

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #27 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I agree that they are far from optimal. However, I do feel that the 2nd set of pictures is a pretty good representation of the variation in brightness between the 3 modes, even though Pure doesn't look quite so flat, nor does ISF Day look quite so overblown. And I think the variation in the Elite logo has at least in part to do with the reflection off of the center channel. More light = brighter reflection. That'll be addressed soon, though.
post #28 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

Yes, I agree that they are far from optimal. However, I do feel that the 2nd set of pictures is a pretty good representation of the variation in brightness between the 3 modes, even though Pure doesn't look quite so flat, nor does ISF Day look quite so overblown. And I think the variation in the Elite logo has at least in part to do with the reflection off of the center channel. More light = brighter reflection. That'll be addressed soon, though.

I think it's pretty easy to tell that the 2nd ISF Day shot is a little overblown from the camera just by looking at the street...on the second picture it looks almost white.

Still...good looking shots. Some of us fence-sitters have been longing to see pics of the ISF modes, thanks for delivering.
post #29 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Liked: 13
in the 2nd batch of pics.

Pure and ISF Day both look sick.

Pioneer Elite 111FD and Onkyo 6100B 7.1
post #30 of 42 Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

Very interesting. What I would have really liked to see are photos taken before and after calibration. Did you take any before?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page