Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U ghosting problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U, a 42-inch 720p plasma, a few months back.

I bought it for gaming, hoping the plasma would eliminate the pixel lag that drives me crazy on LCD televisions.

Unfortunately, the lag during gaming is really bad, especially if the game pans quickly as in first-person shooters. Trails, ghosts, judder, whatever you call it, it appears when an object moves quickly across the screen or the camera does the same.

Other people who have this television claim they don't have this problem at all.

So, what's the deal here? Is there a way to eliminate this problem?

I'm using a PS3 with a good HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What resolution are you outputting?
post #3 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Just a guess, but you are probably playing 30fps games, give Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet $ Clank Future, or Resistance 2 a shot, they all run at 60fps.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Resistance 2 is the worst at ghosting, even in the menu.

I've tried all resolution outputs from the PS3, but I've settled on 720p.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post

Panasonic TVs often do a pretty poor job with 720p signals but they shouldn't add any ghosting effects.

Plasmas don't have perfect motion like CRTs but they should be a lot better than any LCD. If you're seeing a "double image" effect, that's probably due to the low framerate of the game.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The menu for Resistance 2 is pretty laggy, but that is the game itself (pull up the XMB and it's very glitchy). I have the same set (50") and have no issues in-game, though. I use 1080p for the PS3 for everything (even if the games are 720p). Didn't notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, but overall I prefer to leave it at 1080p. And what is your definition of ghosting? Does it just feel laggy, or do you actually see ghost images on the menu screen?? Another game that has some spikey situations is Fallout 3. What other games are you having trouble with?

While I agree with chrisherbert when he says it's likely the game, I don't quite agree when he says Panasonics don't run 720p signals well ; I've never had a problem with it on this set.

Quote:

post #7 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

The menu for Resistance 2 is pretty laggy, but that is the game itself (pull up the XMB and it's very glitchy). I have the same set (50") and have no issues in-game, though. I use 1080p for the PS3 for everything (even if the games are 720p). Didn't notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, but overall I prefer to leave it at 1080p. And what is your definition of ghosting? Does it just feel laggy, or do you actually see ghost images on the menu screen?? Another game that has some spikey situations is Fallout 3. What other games are you having trouble with?

While I agree with chrisherbert when he says it's likely the game, I don't quite agree when he says Panasonics don't run 720p signals well ; I've never had a problem with it on this set.

I don't know, the Panasonics that I've seen always make 720p look really soft. There's color bleeding too.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The ghosting I'm talking about isn't lag, it's a half second of the image trailing behind as an object moves, like tracers.

In the menu of Resistance 2, you see it when the main character's image moves from the center of the screen over to the side to allow room for the menu. In the game, it happens everywhere.

It happens in the demo for Killzone 2, F.E.A.R. 2, Skate 2, Little Big Planet - everything. If the image moves quickly, there is a ghosting/pixel lag effect.

There's also green phosphor lag, but that's a different issue.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I know you said your HDMI cord is good, but do you have a couple other cords to swap out to make sure? Or, have you tried the other HDMI inputs on the set? Try logging off the PSN network; does the trail still occur while offline? Do you have all PS3 updates? I'm just listing the things I would check into.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know you said your HDMI cord is good, but do you have a couple other cords to swap out to make sure? Or, have you tried the other HDMI inputs on the set? Try logging off the PSN network; does the trail still occur while offline? Do you have all PS3 updates? I'm just listing the things I would check into.

I've swapped out three cords, same problem. Tried all the inputs. I have all the updates.

I haven't tried logging off of the network. I'll give that a shot.

I will try to record a video and post it.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Hi there,
Could what you're seeing be a "Green Phosphor Lag" issue, that is known to exist with the plasma technology?

I also had a link with some more info on the subject, but need to have at least 3 posts to do that!
You can google "green phosphor lag", and look at the first link!

Just a thought!
Might be wrong!
post #12 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetzo View Post

Hi there,
Could what you're seeing be a "Green Phosphor Lag" issue, that is known to exist with the plasma technology?

I also had a link with some more info on the subject, but need to have at least 3 posts to do that!
You can google "green phosphor lag", and look at the first link!

Just a thought!
Might be wrong!

Thanks for the help. No, the phosphor lag is a problem with this television, and it sucks, but this is a different issue.

It looks exactly like the sort of pixel lag an LCD would produce, brief after images that stutter behind the movement of anything which moves quickly across the screen.

In a first-person shooter, the stutter follows just about everything, because the entire environment moves rapidly as you spin your point of view.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, all phosphor lag on my set went away after it got a good amount of hours on it.

Quote:

Thanks for the help. No, the phosphor lag is a problem with this television, and it sucks, but this is a different issue.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I shot a video to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtVU_ZQ660
post #15 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

No ideas?
post #16 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I may have seen it in the You-tube vid, not sure. Is it the huge thing that looks like a semi-transparent HUD, for lack of something better to call it, that follows the gun line-of-sight? Anyway, maybe you can post your calibration settings to see how they compare to others. Make sure you have any "automatic" PQ adjustments turned off and anything that shifts pixels (orbiter). Bizarre.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #17 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I may have seen it in the You-tube vid, not sure. Is it the huge thing that looks like a semi-transparent HUD, for lack of something better to call it, that follows the gun line-of-sight? Anyway, maybe you can post your calibration settings to see how they compare to others. Make sure you have any "automatic" PQ adjustments turned off and anything that shifts pixels (orbiter). Bizarre.

larry

The semi-transparent image is the reflection from the window.

Watch the column in the middle, and notice how when I move side to side, the image leaves ghost-like after images which creates a strobe effect during movement.

If you pause the video during that, you can see the lag. You will also see green splotches of phosphor lag too.

Is there such a thing as white phosphor lag?
post #18 of 18 Old 04-02-2010, 04:51 AM

Hi all,

I know, it is a long time this post exists.
But I've seen no real solutions has been found.

I expect the same issue with my ps3 and pana screeN.
After several tests, I cannot reproduce with my computer, only with my ps3.

The following link presents my post on a french forum.
There is some pictures inside to explain the problem.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...705#p173659866

I had found an explaination from another forum :
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...e/m-p/26712604
I will do some tests on sunday and monday to check if problems comes from a ground loopback issue.

BR.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page