Curiousity . . . Flicker and Default GrayScale in Standard Mode at 1080p/24 on 5020FD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

If the flicker on the video is ~15Hz then it solidly suggests that the conflict between 72Hz display and 60Hz camera is to blame (or vice versa).

Which would mean that "Standard" switches to 72Hz and "Off" does not. If this is true then non-elite calibation won't work with 72HZ. Which is kinda the direction I'm beginning to lean as much as I don't want to believe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Someone needs to call Pioneer and find out what happens if the set detects a 1080p/24 signal and PC is set to off.

There was a post a while ago saying that PC automatically engaged when the set detected a 1080p/24 signal with someone saying a Pioneer tech had told them this.

Also, in the video, there is no input signal being displayed that I can tell.

Has anyone tried this with an actual film playing?

If what the Pioneer tech said is true, then the set needs a 1080p/24 signal being actively sent to the display to display it in 72Hz with 3:3 pulldown.
post #33 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 PM

Andrmgic:
D-Nice just confirmed what you're saying over in the owners thread the other day and it's been thought to be true for some time. However all these findings are leading people, including myself, to doubt this. It's the whole reason this thread got started. Big confusing mess of conflicting results. For what it's worth I was in the camp that believed that 72Hz worked in "Off", but I think I was wrong.
post #34 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't visually notice a difference between "Off" and "Advanced".. I'm not using a video camera.

I have D-Nice coming to calibrate my set next week.. maybe I can ask him to scientifically show me the difference between the two modes with his equipment so we can put this to rest.
post #35 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM

That would be great! Telecine judder is very subtle. I'm seeing it in off and not in advanced. Like I said in the other thread it doesn't bother me either way, but I'd like to know for certain.
post #36 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrmgic View Post

Someone needs to call Pioneer and find out what happens if the set detects a 1080p/24 signal and PC is set to off.

There was a post a while ago saying that PC automatically engaged when the set detected a 1080p/24 signal with someone saying a Pioneer tech had told them this.

Also, in the video, there is no input signal being displayed that I can tell.

Has anyone tried this with an actual film playing?

If what the Pioneer tech said is true, then the set needs a 1080p/24 signal being actively sent to the display to display it in 72Hz with 3:3 pulldown.

I did testing with real film and have verified my ps3 is outputting 24p, see my repost on the first page.

just because some tech support says still doesnt prove anything, imho, unless it was the actual firmware engineer who worked on it is replying
post #37 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwolf View Post

I get the same results. I wonder what happens if you send a 24p signal to the TV when making adjustments with ControlCal. I'm gonna try it tonight.

I tried ControlCal with a 24p input in both PC:Standard and PC:Advanced; nothing changed. "Off" and "Smooth" always keep the ControlCal settings. Standard only keeps them if the signal is something other than 1080p 24.
post #38 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So some flickering on some sources is normal, regardless of which film mode is engaged?
post #39 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Just some educated speculation here but I took the time to daw out my thoughts onto paper and to powerpoint.

Just for interests sake I've drawn out how a 60Hz camera system and a 60Hz plasma or 72Hz plasma interact. The plots show the weighted light emission per frame period of a plasma display (curved line indicated light output over time). The colored square indicated the light captured by the camera system during the cameras sample period and is essentially the area under the curve in the above plasma light emission plot.

Sync or no sync there should be no variation in the light captured by the camera system if both the camera and plasma are operating at 60Hz. However, if the plasma is operating at 72Hz the amount of light the camera captures at 60Hz varies each sample period for 5 cycles (12Hz).

This should create 12Hz flicker if you repeat this patter (scaled down here)

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #40 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

xrox...so any 72hz pdp would have this 12hz cycle, just so happens only pio is 72hz?
I didn't have this with my 5080 or 1150 from last year?
The bright scene flickering, yes there was some, but not this dark scene flickering.
It makes sense that it would regardless of bright or dim content based on your speculation....but why did I not see it on my 8g's?
And further more why do you suppose many say they have no flickering?
post #41 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

xrox...so any 72hz pdp would have this 12hz cycle, just so happens only pio is 72hz?
I didn't have this with my 5080 or 1150 from last year?
The bright scene flickering, yes there was some, but not this dark scene flickering.
It makes sense that it would regardless of bright or dim content based on your speculation....but why did I not see it on my 8g's?
And further more why do you suppose many say they have no flickering?

You should not see this with the naked eye. I was just stating what the camera would pick up in those scenarios. Agian, it is only my thoughts providing evidence, not proof.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #42 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM

New 6020 owner putting in my 10 cents...

Also verified ( as others have been reporting ) that with 1080p24 input, modified grayscale is only valid in Off and Smooth modes - FWIW, I can confirm that a 720p30 camcorder records flicker on Standard and Advance modes, which IMO indicates that these 2 modes are refreshing at a rate other than 60Hz - Most probably 72Hz, although I don't have any way of verifying this...
post #43 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I misunderstood.
Back to the drawing board.
post #44 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good grief, people...

So now we're saying that Standard will switch the greyscale back to it's original, unmodified numbers?
post #45 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Good grief, people...

So now we're saying that Standard will switch the greyscale back to it's original, unmodified numbers?

With a 24p source, yes.
post #46 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwolf View Post

With a 24p source, yes.

Standard isn't optimal for 24p content anyway so it's not a big deal. I still am pretty sure I've seen 24p stuff on Standard and Off and didn't notice a difference in grayscale. I will check soon.
post #47 of 268 Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydog76 View Post

Standard isn't optimal for 24p content anyway so it's not a big deal.

A growing group is claiming that Standard is optimal; that it does the 3:3 pulldown and Off does not. I haven't spent any time checking this out myself and have no opinon. In that situation, it would indeed be a big deal that Standard doesn't use the adjusted greyscale.
post #48 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

here's my flicker hypothesis:

At 60hz the video camera is capturing at the same frame rate as the normal 60hz tv. Even if they are not exactly aligned you still only see 1 frame transition per frame captured. If the tv is in 72hz mode and since 72 is not evenly divisible into 60 then the video camera is capturing sometimes 1 frame or at other times 2. Since PDP is not a sample and hold display, i.e. full frame is not displayed 100% of the frame, then this causes a variation the amount of light the camera sensor since it basically getting twice the amount during the 2 frame capture, thus a flicker.

That is true.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #49 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm uploading this for quicker reference. You can see Standard and Advance are the only modes that mention 24fps. If it's determined that neither of them can work with the MGS (modified grayscale), that's making this GS calibration have even more drawbacks.
LL

God Bless,
-Clint
post #50 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

This may help with some basic plasma tech info.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display.htm
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/labr...work-video.htm
The video doesn't really start until 5 minutes in, nothing but BS before that. At about 13 minutes in the discussion goes to LCD. I can't find the segment of the docu TV show that discussed plasma TV's.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #51 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Pioneer_PRO-151FD_Review
Quote:

"One of my favorite features of this TV, like other Pioneer plasmas before it, is the ability to switch its refresh to 72Hz. When you send it a 24p signal, the TV will do a simple 3:3 pulldown. What this means is that the inherent jerkiness of movies when put on DVD/BD is removed. The image is smoother, more realistic. More and more displays are coming out with some version of this.

Much like the accurate color, once you get used to watching a movie with 3:3 pulldown, the stutter you get with a normal 3:2 sequence on regular TVs will totally bug you. Don't say I didn't warn you. The mode you want is called Advance and it's in the Film Mode sub-menu."

http://www.hometheatermag.com/plasma...ys/908piokuro/
Quote:

"PureCinema film mode detects film-based sources and offers three options. The Standard setting feeds the panel the usual 1080p/60 signal, complete with 3:2 pulldown for film-based sources. Pioneer designed the Smooth setting to produce “smoother and more vivid moving images.” It does, but I didn’t find the improvement particularly dramatic. The Advance setting converts film-based program material to a display rate of 72 frames per second (72hz?) by eliminating 3:2 pulldown. The Standard setting works only with interlaced inputs. Additionally, you cannot select Smooth or Advanced with a 1080p/60 source. However, if your program material is already at 1080p/24, the Pioneer automatically converts it to a display frame rate of 72 fps (using repeated frames, not interpolation), regardless of the PureCinema control setting."

http://kuro9g.blogspot.com/2008/12/i...at-24-fps.html
http://kuro9g.blogspot.com/2008/11/p...film-mode.html (I believe that's been posted before on one of the Pioneer threads).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #52 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

There's some discussion here on this thread on a similar subject and there may be more talk of it on other pages of the thread. http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-t...ntrast-36.html

This is interesting: http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm

God Bless,
-Clint
post #53 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

There's some discussion here on this thread on a similar subject and there may be more talk of it on other pages of the thread. http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-t...ntrast-36.html

Thanks Clint S. - that gave me a chuckle. Wouldn't it be funny if after we finally determine that only "Standard" and "Advanced" provide the 72 Hz mode for 1080p/24 content, we all decide that Smooth or 60 Hz 3:2 pulldown is better anyway!
post #54 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Just some educated speculation here but I took the time to daw out my thoughts onto paper and to powerpoint.

Just for interests sake I've drawn out how a 60Hz camera system and a 60Hz plasma or 72Hz plasma interact. The plots show the weighted light emission per frame period of a plasma display (curved line indicated light output over time). The colored square indicated the light captured by the camera system during the cameras sample period and is essentially the area under the curve in the above plasma light emission plot.

Sync or no sync there should be no variation in the light captured by the camera system if both the camera and plasma are operating at 60Hz. However, if the plasma is operating at 72Hz the amount of light the camera captures at 60Hz varies each sample period for 5 cycles (12Hz).

This should create 12Hz flicker if you repeat this patter (scaled down here)

That is an awesome depiction - nice work. In picture form, that pretty much captures exactly what has a lot of us feeling inclined to doubt the conventional wisdom around here that the screen is in 72 Hz mode in "Off" and in 60 Hz mode in "Standard."
post #55 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps628 View Post

Thanks Clint S. - that gave me a chuckle. Wouldn't it be funny if after we finally determine that only "Standard" and "Advanced" provide the 72 Hz mode for 1080p/24 content, we all decide that Smooth or 60 Hz 3:2 pulldown is better anyway!

Possibly the only way to get any definitive facts on any of this is for someone to get their hands on a real Pioneer tech and ask. Someone around here is bound to know one, or least how to contact one.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #56 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydog76 View Post

Standard isn't optimal for 24p content anyway so it's not a big deal. I still am pretty sure I've seen 24p stuff on Standard and Off and didn't notice a difference in grayscale. I will check soon.

Yup and this is what I've found. Looks like we currently have to choose between 72Hz or calibrated grayscale. I have no way to prove it though, so others will have to come to their own conclusions.
post #57 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Actually a very pertinent question you raise when you consider that this thread was really inspired by video313 who's key question was "Which Pure Cinema Mode is Visibly Smoother for 1080p/24fps content?". That to my mind also raises the question of whether chasing down 24fps processing is really chasing down the "smoothest" presentation to begin with.

There could be a bit of not seeing the forest for the trees in focusing strictly on the question of what happens technically to the signal rather what is the end result on the movie experience.

For instance an interesting question that I never see raised is "Why do the Pioneer Engineers assign a different grayscale memory to Pure Cinema Advanced to begin with?" In fact if the assertion being put forth by some in this thread turned out to be true then the implication is that an alteration to the grayscale was found desirable not just for Advanced mode but 72HZ 3/3 pulldown in general.

So is a different grayscale needed for better PQ if 72hz processing is engaged. The other part of the thread topic afterall is about the grayscale.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #58 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Actually a very pertinent question you raise when you consider that this thread was really inspired by video313 who's key question was "Which Pure Cinema Mode is Visibly Smoother for 1080p/24fps content?". That to my mind also raises the question of whether chasing down 24fps processing is really chasing down the "smoothest" presentation to begin with.

There could be a bit of not seeing the forest for the trees in focusing strictly on the question of what happens technically to the signal rather what is the end result on the movie experience.

For instance an interesting question that I never see raised is "Why do the Pioneer Engineers assign a different grayscale memory to Pure Cinema Advanced to begin with?" In fact if the assertion being put forth by some in this thread turned out to be true then the implication is that an alteration to the grayscale was found desirable not just for Advanced mode but 72HZ 3/3 pulldown in general.

So is a different grayscale needed for better PQ if 72hz processing is engaged. The other part of the thread topic afterall is about the grayscale.

True, I was wondering the same thing, and then it hit me. I would expect that the engineers had to give the 72 Hz mode a different array of grayscale settings (not necessarily a different temperature of grayscale, mind you, but a different . . . I don't know, file? . . . to control the grayscale), because - as xrox pointed out - plasma displays modulate subpixel brightness by pulsing throughout the duration of each refresh. Obviously, if you are doing 72 refreshes per second, the timing of those pulses will have to be different than if you were doing 60 refreshes per second.

Again, we're all just hypothesizing here, but this makes for a pretty logical explanation of why calibrating the grayscale using ControlCal will not affect the "Advanced" mode. And if we are right about that, then that is one more suggestion that "Standard" is also refreshing at 72 Hz when a 1080p/24 signal is coming in.

Added later: But I also just looked back at the findings. Apparently the grayscale in Advanced mode is always different than the calibrated grayscale (regardless of 24 fps or 60 fps sources), but Advanced only flickers when it receives a 24 fps source. That adds another level of complexity. Perhaps Advanced has a third grayscale for when it is refreshing at 60 Hz? - seems unnecessarily complicated.
post #59 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

That's exactly why the 72Hz mode on the Pioneers is important to some. It looks smoother because it repeats each frame 3 times. The 24p judder is there but it's consistent. The telecine judder is uneven and makes things appear to jump at consistent but uneven intervals. Most people will only notice it during slow camera movements. A lot of people say to look at the credits, but I think it's easier to spot on pans and dollies. Find a scene where the camera zooms, dollies, or pans. Put PC in "Off" and then switch to "Standard", then hit the "tools" button on the remote to toggle before and after. If you can see the difference, you'll see it then. Then compare to "Advanced". I find that "Advanced" and "Standard" act the same and "Off" shows the 3:2 judder.

Warning: If you've never been bothered by or seen the judder, then you may not want to go looking for it. Especially if your the type of person that can't turn that incredibly critical part of your brain on and off.
post #60 of 268 Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Again, we're all just hypothesizing here, but this makes for a pretty logical explanation of why calibrating the grayscale using ControlCal will not affect the "Advanced" mode. And if we are right about that, then that is one more suggestion that "Standard" is also refreshing at 72 Hz when a 1080p/24 signal is coming in.

My thoughts exactly.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page