The Official Panasonic TC-P50X1 and TC-P42X1 Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I have/had a Mitsubishi CS35301 (35"tube tv) that served me well for the past 15 yrs or so. The other day it popped and released the magic smoke opening the door for me to upgrade to a hidef display for the family room.

I did some quick research online here that led me to the Panasonic line of plasmas. A trip to a local retailer yesterday found me choosing between the PC P50X1 and the TH50PX80 for about a $50 difference.

I like the fact that the newer model had moved the front panel controls to the side creating a slightly sleeker look so we went with the 50X1.

We went with a Whalen 3 in 1 stand so the tv is raised up somewhat on a swivel stand.

For now just SD via Directv(they are coming in a week to install the hidef receiver and hidef dvr) and some local HD via antenna and I may move my Toshiba HD DVD to see how it looks.

Anyway - the HD basketball and hockey (Rangers vs Bruins) was pretty impressive. I will wait for the set to break in before I run Avia to calibrate everything - during break in I've lowered brightness down to 30 or so - the closest window is east facing and I've got large trees so not a lot of direct sunlight to contend with means I don't need the brightness cranked up - to my eye anyway the super brightness - especially in store - was very artificial.

If I were to compare it to my Mitsubishi 55" RPTV (WS 55413)I'd say that for now the RPTV has the edge - bear in mind this is before the 50X1 has broken in and been calibrated. Give me a week or two to let that happen and I'll try and remember to report back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Was at hhgregg today to look at the 50x1. They were out of stock but the saleman said he would let the sammy 450 go for same sales $.Which one is better buy?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The 450 should be going for less than the new P50X1 right now. A brighter, better-looking display too, IMHO -- if you don't mind the higher electricity bill.

If you can land it for around the Sears price, I would say go for it.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 AM

spending an awful lot of time on this board primetime for a set you don't care for? properly calibrated the X1 is a great set
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM

I'm waiting for the new models to come out in Europe. Will the 42/50X1, that will be reviewed by D-Nice, be the same as the X10 models in Europe? Lot's of different contrast ratios are mentioned, I see the X1 should have 30000:1, however if I check the European X10, the contrast ratio is 20000:1... In practice won't make any difference I think, but I was wondering whether they are the same or not...

Anyone info about this?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

D-Nice said he should have a review posted by Monday (tomorrow). How's it coming D?

No I didn't. I said I would have settings available either on Monday (today) or Tuesday

At any rate,

I calibrated Cinema mode last night. Post calibration, the grayscale is... well... ok and colors are much better. Before calibration, the Warm color temp in Cinema mode is plus green and blue (not good).

On/Off contrast ratio is 2313:1 (34.7fL peak white/0.015fL minimum luminance). ANSI contrast ratio is 1350:1 (29.4fL white/0.022fL black).

More later.....
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

No I didn't. I said I would have settings available either on Monday (today) or Tuesday

At any rate,

I calibrated Cinema mode last night. Post calibration, the grayscale is... well... ok and colors are much better. Before calibration, the Warm color temp in Cinema mode is plus green and blue (not good).

On/Off contrast ratio is 2313:1 (34.7fL peak white/0.015fL minimum luminance). ANSI contrast ratio is 1350:1 (29.4fL white/0.022fL black).

More later.....

Waiting patiently
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidordinary View Post

spending an awful lot of time on this board primetime for a set you don't care for? properly calibrated the X1 is a great set

A decent set? OK. A great set? That's where I come in.

I really don't want to rain on anyone's enjoyment of what is essentially a good product. This is, after all, an enthusiasts' thread, so in the future I will try and limit my comments. I think it is more relevant to raise these issues before people make a buying decision -- not after. I'm not keen with online purchasing of flatscreens. But if others are willing, I think they can get a better unit by snatching up some of the older models before they disappear. (Pioneer owners can sympathize.)

I was poised to buy the 50PX80U for months. Just when I was ready, they disappeared from the local B&M stores. I was open-minded (even eager) about the latest-and-greatest replacement. But then, on several occasions, my eyes tell me that, in a couple of important aspects that don't require instrumentation to confirm, the P50X1 is a step back from the previous year's product. I don't think it's such a large difference that most people coming from an older (and/or smaller) display technology would have a problem with it, as many here have posted. But I fear (hope I'm wrong) that it may be yet another sign of a tipping point in plasma's ultimate fate.

In Southern California, ads for flatscreen TVs have changed dramatically in just the last month. Frys hasn't run a print plasma spot in several weeks -- nothing but LCDs. Yes, I know it's a model-year changeover, but that didn't stop them before. And all other print plasma promotion has really dried up. It's not the economy -- heck, they're cheaper than LCDs, which are more prominent than ever in print ads.

My disappointment with Panasonic's X1 effort boils down to the fact that now that they are the putative leader in plasma manufacturing, they have (at least with this model) engaged in deceptive marketing claims and "restyling" to camouflage a lackluster engineering effort on what is/was the most popular plasma product to date.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Better if you enjoy posterization too. You really shouldn't be telling people what to buy based on zero home experience. In-store opinions only go so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

The 450 should be going for less than the new P50X1 right now. A brighter, better-looking display too, IMHO -- if you don't mind the higher electricity bill.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At any rate,

More later.....

Ouch, this sounds significantly worse than last year Color accuracy doesn't sound encouraging and those contrast ratios are worse than last year's 1080p models.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since you mentioned the Sears price that's what I got the 450 for, minus the 10% for putting it on a Sears card. I like this set way better, and after watching a letterbox Blu-Ray last night I had zero IR. I am still in the process of running the break in DVD between regular viewing too.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:

LOL...another "brighter" display testimonial...shocking..
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Ouch, this sounds significantly worse than last year Color accuracy doesn't sound encouraging and those contrast ratios are worse than last year's 1080p models.

Not really.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-...0/Calibration/
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM

im curious to see it under custom settings.... thanks DNICE! I knew the grayscale was effed up.. I ran thr THX disc and it has a green hue to it... or blue i guess. I'm hopihn some service menu tweeking may help but I dont notice it during normal watching conditions. I set upa bias light.. awesome stuff I'll take pics later
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Seems pretty much in line with last years models, give or take a few numbers. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing based on the low price.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

You do know this is a 720p model right?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I have a dumb question, what is the difference between starting calibration with "Custom" as opposed to starting with "Normal"? I assumed all the preset settings on this set were just shortcuts to get you to settings that you could achieve manually, so why should the starting point matter. Are there non-manipulatable settings under these presets? Or is there a greater range of control under "Custom"?

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:

A decent set? OK. A great set? That's where I come in.

I really don't want to rain on anyone's enjoyment of what is essentially a good product. This is, after all, an enthusiasts' thread, so in the future I will try and limit my comments. I think it is more relevant to raise these issues before people make a buying decision -- not after. I'm not keen with online purchasing of flatscreens. But if others are willing, I think they can get a better unit by snatching up some of the older models before they disappear. (Pioneer owners can sympathize.)

I was poised to buy the 50PX80U for months. Just when I was ready, they disappeared from the local B&M stores. I was open-minded (even eager) about the latest-and-greatest replacement. But then, on several occasions, my eyes tell me that, in a couple of important aspects that don't require instrumentation to confirm, the P50X1 is a step back from the previous year's product. I don't think it's such a large difference that most people coming from an older (and/or smaller) display technology would have a problem with it, as many here have posted. But I fear (hope I'm wrong) that it may be yet another sign of a tipping point in plasma's ultimate fate.

In Southern California, ads for flatscreen TVs have changed dramatically in just the last month. Frys hasn't run a print plasma spot in several weeks -- nothing but LCDs. Yes, I know it's a model-year changeover, but that didn't stop them before. And all other print plasma promotion has really dried up. It's not the economy -- heck, they're cheaper than LCDs, which are more prominent than ever in print ads.

My disappointment with Panasonic's X1 effort boils down to the fact that now that they are the putative leader in plasma manufacturing, they have (at least with this model) engaged in deceptive marketing claims and "restyling" to camouflage a lackluster engineering effort on what is/was the most popular plasma product to date.

Just some observations:

1. You aren't "keen" on online purchases, sounds like "fear" because that's the only reason not to buy online, unless you enjoy paying more for the same product . More precisely "fear of the unknown" is probably more realistic. If you do your homework and shop at a reputable online dealer, there is no difference(except a lower price and more selection). I would venture to say you have never ordered a display from an online dealer. BTW, you can still buy the 50PX80U.

2. The whole "tipping point" on plasmas future won't rest on a 720p set that doesn't even represent the new NEO technology.

3. The whole concept of "showroom" viewing comparisons has been discussed at length on here and anyone trying to offer an opinon based on this method can't be taken in a serious vein. Trying to influence a potential buyer by telling him a display looks brighter isn't a ringing endorsement of a superior product. It's more an endictment of the evaluator.

4. In regards to "deceptive marketing", Samsung has led the pack. They were the first to jump on the million to one contrast ratio to divert attention away from LCD's low numbers. To say Panasonic is deceptive in their claims would be like giving speeding tickets at the Indy 500. All these companies use "deceptive" marketing. If you really think the 450 will yield a million to one, in any sort of contrived measurement system, you are way off base.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Which is better tv,both same price?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdawg View Post

Which is better tv,both same price?

I haven't had a chance to evaluate both sets in a home environment or read any detailed reports. From my own personal experience of owning a Samsung and Panasonics(have one now), Panasonic offers more reliability. This is the 12th generation of Panny sets, more than Samsung has produced. Don't base your decision on ANY TV by watching it at a retail store.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Yikes, not sure which set I want to get now. A local retailer is offering both the 42" PX80 and X1 for sale, with the px being $50 cheaper. I was set on getting the X1, but from reading some of the comments in this thread, I think it may be a better bet to go with last year's model.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroponik View Post

Yikes, not sure which set I want to get now. A local retailer is offering both the 42" PX80 and X1 for sale, with the px being $50 cheaper. I was set on getting the X1, but from reading some of the comments in this thread, I think it may be a better bet to go with last year's model.

Most of these people dont even own it that are making negative comments. If you read the reviews from actual owners like myself. I think they are 95% positive.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroponik View Post

Don't be influenced by some of these remarks. If you could get an 08 Panny 1080p for about the same money, I'd do it, but not the 08 720p Panny. The X-1 will be a fine model, newer technology is superior, even if it's incremental. Don't buy into the "brighter" 08 model being "better" crap.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:

At any rate,

More later.....

when this guy is finished with his review, can someone translate it to the layperson???

thanks guys! appreciate the effort and comments so far.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwde View Post

when this guy is finished with his review, can someone translate it to the layperson???

+1

Scheduled delivery for our 50" is tomorrow. I'm pretty excited.

HD content should be installed this weekend.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:12 PM

is this the appropriate thread to ask how much everyone is paying for their 50" sets?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

is this the appropriate thread to ask how much everyone is paying for their 50" sets?

I think any price discussion other than MSRP is in violation of the plasma forum rules.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to D-NICE for anything done and or measured on this set. I just picked on up so I am obviously curious to read any D-NICE feedback.

I have a Pio 5080 in my main HT and get compliments all the time on the PQ.
Using D-NICE's setting on that too!

Thank you D!

Now..if i can just get my cable box to activate I could start enjoying some HD material.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pricegrabber.com is a good place to start.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Nope. The only source it has seen since I pulled it out of the box is the break-in images on a SD card.

Are there suggested setting to use for the break in images on SD card? I have
Standard

Contrast = 0
Brightness = 0
Color = 60
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 0.
Color Temp = WARM
Slide Show Speed = SLOW (is VERY SLOW better option ?)
Everything else is set to OFF

Tags
Panasonic Viera X1 Series Tc P50x1 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x1 by PriceGrabber.com