The Official Panasonic TC-P50X1 and TC-P42X1 Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3181 of 3187 Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a cheap little box that offers a coaxial for SD or HDMI for HD. They have a box w/more features, but a person that grew up going to the movie theater by bringing in scrap iron for the war effort isn't able to comprehend much more than basic remote features. It works though even CC requires going into a drop down menu & w/o a button on the remote that isn't happening. I don't mind the set being left on or jump starting the set myself on powering up, however any remote that could interrupt the HBMI cable, 4PST(?), would be wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3187 Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

If the cable box will support it you may want to try feeding the tv a 1080 signal.

I tried 1080 on the box and it was a no-go. If memory serves it merely kicked it back down to 720 or it wouldn't work & I had to set it back to 720. It's odd to me as it "only" requires an interruption in HDMI cable after powering back up and it's good to go. This is an upgrade as it replaces the P42 at 480. Plus the standard 480 signal was fraught w/issues having many channels that were substandard in signal strength. Even at 720 the quality difference is very noticeable and after experiencing the bright lights of big city life it's hard to go back to coal oil lamps ...

I was hoping for a remote/toggle or push button HDMI switch that I suppose would make no sense except for my peculiar application.
post #3183 of 3187 Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Perhaps a remote HDMI Switch would help. That kind of google search has this result for ten bucks maybe it's worth a shot. At a monthly expense the provider may be able to supply a higher end box. I'm like you hoping the collective can come up with a better solution. One last thing, have you tried different HDMI cables?

http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-Switcher-Selector-Support-Switching/dp/B003AQD5W6
post #3184 of 3187 Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the link, It seems to have potential. I haven't tried a different HDMI cable, but it wouldn't be a step to pull the one from the box supplying the refurb sammy. I'm no techie though it seems so odd that it will work fine until the "tube" is powered down. Of course I haven't the foggiest why yanking the cable & pushing it back in works either.

W/ball game on I pulled cables and made the swap. As soon as I hooked them back the game came up. As soon as I powered the old panny off & brought it back up I see the lavender screen. Pull one lead and plug it back & everything is dandy and the ball game comes back on board.
post #3185 of 3187 Old 04-23-2014, 06:19 PM

Liked: 11
I seem to remember, back when I bought my set, I had to make sure that my cable box and my blu-ray were set to 720 fixed output -- otherwise, I seemed to have all sorts of issues. With my cable box, a Motorola, I had to look up a manual on-line, and found the setting way deep in the menu that's not really meant for consumers. Once that was set, I never had another problem.
whipit likes this.
post #3186 of 3187 Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM

I snooped around the advanced menu and changed power to always on. Now, toggling the power strip will reset the mini HD box & turn on the tube. Not quite the same as a remote though an easy mechanical task that's well understood by an older individual. Oddly enough as I was explaining this I turned the tv off/on and the picture came up correct. I tried repeating this and always came up w/channel except coated in lavender w/no sound. Which I suppose is better than the old just solid lavender w/no channel. Perhaps it was the timing of the on/off sequence that one time allowed me to power the set down & back up w/remote obtaining the correct image w/o having to toggle the strip/power down the mini box.

At this juncture I seem to need a remote controlled power strip to eliminate toggling the power.

For some reason, The Clapper commercial is playing in me noodle ...
post #3187 of 3187 Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Well I have a Panasonic TC-P50X1 for about a few years now. It has started to turn on and off again with no picture. The red light comes on but does not blink. I did replace the power board but it did not fix the problem. I don't see anything wrong with any capacitors, but then again I am a novice at this kind of thing. What could be wrong and is it an easy fix?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera X1 Series Tc P50x1 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x1 by PriceGrabber.com