The Official Panasonic TC-P50X1 and TC-P42X1 Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3187 Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While on the topic of unboxing can the tv be layed on its side? I am asking this for only when it is being transported. It may not fit upright in my car so I may need to lay it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3187 Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett24 View Post

While on the topic of unboxing can the tv be layed on its side? I am asking this for only when it is being transported. It may not fit upright in my car so I may need to lay it down.

I also took mine home myself to avoid the shipping charges. It's ok to lay it flat, however make sure the glass is facing up. I would also advise you to take it easy on the roads and avoid any potholes/bumps if you can.

I believe the reason they tell you to transport it vertically is so the glass won't shatter under the weight of itself.
post #633 of 3187 Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett24 View Post

I was told that it is ok to ship flat but once it is home you should have it upright twice as long as it was flat , before turning on.
post #634 of 3187 Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrera View Post

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and a girl at that...I read a few pages back someone say that there aren't any girls on here haha Anyways I'll be buying my first Plasma TV on Friday and I've decided on the P50X1 so yesterday I checked the BB ad to see if it's on sale and what do I see...a brand new Samsung Plasma PN50B450 and it's listed as the same price as the Panasonic! I have to admit that this threw me for a little bit but then I thought about it and relied on all of the research that I did and came to the conclusion that Panasonic is the way to go...any feedback? Am I right? I'm making this purchase on Friday and I just figured I'd stop lurking and finally post something!

Sears just had a sale on the 50 X-1 but I think it is over I am sure it will be on sale again but I know it is hard to wait.

Definitely take Speedkings advice about to much info here before you puchase

I've had mine for 3 weeks and have loved every minute! You can't go wrong with this TV
post #635 of 3187 Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM

New owner here of a 42x1, coming from a 46" 1080p LCD. Plasma convert.
Initial observations: the plasma is "smoother," more detailed, and colors are richer. I like.

Plenty of brightness for me (I have contrast at 35). Got interested in plasmas because the LCD was just too bright at night (even after dialing down). Hurt my eyes; I could not get it adjusted right. I want to watch in almost total darkness. Got the 42 because I was afraid the 50 would be too bright. Also, way more than enough brightness for the day (for me).

I think this is why people go to front projectors. This is the true theatre experience and probably the best in low ambient light. But I'm hoping this plasma will work well.

Would be nice if Panasonic included color temp. adjustments in the user menu (eliminate going into the service menu). Out of the box, I prefer "cool" color temperature. Gets the reds back and is certainly acceptable to me. Will probably play with the temp. settings in time and try the suggested offsets.

Great set, am pleased for now...but we know what happens...all part of the fun of the hobby.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #636 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM

I've owned my TC-P50X1 for one month now. Being new to plasma, wide screens, and HD signals has been an interesting experience.

Budget, viewing distance, and experience aside, this was the right tv. Plasma is beautiful. The colors are brilliant and the user settings are very good.

This was the right tv for my situation because it was affordable, big, and most of all, it adapts well to the different signals and programs that come on. With different signals, and different stations broadcasting shows in various formats, I learned that at least currently, I needed a tv that could automatcally adapt and fix the SD/HD signals quickly and correctly. This tv presents a very presentable image in SD, letterbox, 4:3, 16:9, chopped, pressed, and stretched!

I've worked with video and framing at the computer level for over 10 years and this Panny is "intuitive." Now, with the move over to full HD at all levels, my needs and desires might change, but at least for the next few years, I am more then pleased. Way to go Panny X1!
post #637 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky logan View Post

I was told that it is ok to ship flat but once it is home you should have it upright twice as long as it was flat , before turning on.

Who told you this? Did they give you any reasoning?

Whoever it was, never listen to anything they tell you ever again

The reason these sets shouldn't be transported laying flat is because the glass can break. That's the only reason, and it's a pretty good one. Note you see glass company trucks driving around with glass on racks, always mounted vertically.

Plenty of people have transported their sets lying down and gotten them home in one piece. There's also people who've broken their sets this way. All it takes is one wrong bump and your set could be destroyed - highly recommend to follow the instructions and transport upright. If it won't fit in your car, either pay for delivery, rent an hourly truck at Home Depot, or borrow a friend's pickup.

As for laying it flat while unboxing or getting the stand installed, go for it. Just be careful to put something down to protect the screen from scratches.

jeff
post #638 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeM22 View Post

Budget, viewing distance, and experience aside, this was the right tv.

May I ask what your viewing distance is and your thoughts on the 50" size?
post #639 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Who told you this? Did they give you any reasoning?

Whoever it was, never listen to anything they tell you ever again

The reason these sets shouldn't be transported laying flat is because the glass can break. That's the only reason, and it's a pretty good one. Note you see glass company trucks driving around with glass on racks, always mounted vertically.

Plenty of people have transported their sets lying down and gotten them home in one piece. There's also people who've broken their sets this way. All it takes is one wrong bump and your set could be destroyed - highly recommend to follow the instructions and transport upright. If it won't fit in your car, either pay for delivery, rent an hourly truck at Home Depot, or borrow a friend's pickup.

As for laying it flat while unboxing or getting the stand installed, go for it. Just be careful to put something down to protect the screen from scratches.

jeff

It was the guy at Sears who brought out the TV. He said they do it all the time. He wanted to lay it flat in my pickup since I have some cross boards for tools. I made him wait till I moved them so we could get it in on an angle and then turn it upright (I just looked at the box and it says to transport in the upright position) Glad I did
I apologize for giving this info
post #640 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Can anybody tell me how good my picture will be,getting 42x1 tomorrow but dish tv cant get me a hd box till monday.Standard video, or s video is all i have. Can i expect the basketball games this weekend to look much improved from the picture i was getting from my 36" CRT.(Iknow this is not very technical compared to the rest of this form)WOULD APPRECIATE OPINION THANKS.
post #641 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 View Post

Can anybody tell me how good my picture will be,getting 42x1 tomorrow but dish tv cant get me a hd box till monday.Standard video, or s video is all i have. Can i expect the basketball games this weekend to look much improved from the picture i was getting from my 36" CRT.(Iknow this is not very technical compared to the rest of this form)WOULD APPRECIATE OPINION THANKS.

IMO...the picture will be amazing. I am using the yellow video for Dish SD and sit about 10 feet back. Some channels/programs are better than others, but this TV does SD very well.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #642 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post

May I ask what your viewing distance is and your thoughts on the 50" size?

My recliner faces the tv at a slight angle at 9feet, which is the beginning of where I should sit. My couch is perpendicular to the tv and the farthest part is at the 9ft mark, the rest is closer. So basically, I should have a 42.

The 50 inch is beautiful to look at, with a slight shine. I have a door/window at the other end of the room so the tv is actually in some darkness with all lights off.

Landscapes (Planet Earth) and sports are amazing with the extra inches of viewing.

Remember that many shows are not 16:9 across, widescreen. For instance, I'm watching EspnHD Around the Horn and the side bars show Espn but aren't live. So it's 4:3 in HD, attractive but big. Because many HD broadcast stations send out a variety of sizes, the 50 inch helps add more rez and size than the 42.
post #643 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 View Post

IMO its not going to look all that great. I watched bball on one of my local channels last night in sd and it looked horrible. But the local channels are highly compressed so this is common. Quality SD channels look darn good but its far from amazing.

Now HD thats another story. Its better imo to do it thta way you are doing it. First have an Sd box for a while, then when the HD box comes you will be blown away.
post #644 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Have any of you seen these 09 pannies @ their local costco yet? They finally sold out of the '08 models in my local costco, but no new '09's as of yet. One of their employees said maybe at the end of this month........I want to compare the 42X vs PN42B450 that i got @ BB last week and whichever looks better stays and the other back to the store. I'd prefer to wait to get the 42X @ costco, better return policy and I'm having a feeling that this model will have better blacks than my sammy, but coming from LCDs this sammy has killer black levels.
post #645 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM

Thank you, Lem22. Damn near identical to what my situation will be. I'm 99% sure about going with 50" My kids think I'm crazy to even mention 42".
post #646 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM

I was considering the 42 at a 12 foot main viewing distance, just because it fit the budget better. Glad I went with the 50, but it sounds like either would work for you. I read a good quote that applies while I was wrestling with the same desision, "No one ever wishs they bought a smaller TV"
post #647 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM

The two things i don't like about the 42X is that the stand is pretty inadequate, the sammy PN42B450 has a better stand with swivel capabilities. Also, the 42X has no PC input, the sammy does. The panny diagonal is 41.6 vs 42.3 sammy. The sammy is also $100 cheaper. Anyone do a side by side comparison yet of these 2 units?
post #648 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM

I was looking at these two excat models, wasn't as impressed with the Samsung. Some images looked better on one, but others would look better on the other. I personally prefered the Panasonic, seemed to have more pop to my eyes.

Since the wife through the budget out the window, I was able to get the 50x1 anyway.
post #649 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM

It seems the 42" sammy has a higher resolution, but not sure if the PQ is similar or better than the X1. I too would also be interested in a side by side comparison, but I suppose it wouldn't really matter for me since I already own an X1.
post #650 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroponik View Post

It seems the 42" sammy has a higher resolution, but not sure if the PQ is similar or better than the X1. I too would also be interested in a side by side comparison, but I suppose it wouldn't really matter for me since I already own an X1.

Are you talking about the 1365 vs. 1024 on the Panny? I've been looking into this and I think it may be a mistake on certain sites. I don't know for sure, but you may want to look into the res. of the 42 Sammy further.
post #651 of 3187 Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 134
It's a typo.
post #652 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM

I have the 42x1 - I bought an extended warranty with my TV - i have a few days to cancel the warranty - is a warranty a good idea on a Panasonic or a waste ? I got a 5 yr warranty with HH Gregg. My wife thought it was a good idea b/c we have 3 young kids but I wasn't so sold on the idea.
post #653 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwarz View Post

I have the 42x1 - I bought an extended warranty with my TV - i have a few days to cancel the warranty - is a warranty a good idea on a Panasonic or a waste ? I got a 5 yr warranty with HH Gregg. My wife thought it was a good idea b/c we have 3 young kids but I wasn't so sold on the idea.

An extended warranty is a good idea, however, no warranty is going to cover the actions of children(damage or misuse). If you find that you want to upgrade your TV, in the future, an extended warranty makes it easy to sell. In addition to a possible sale, EW's cover MORE than the standard warranty. More and more companies are going to "water down" their warranty coverage in the future. EW's are going to get more valuable and necessary in the future, IMO. One big problem that manufacture warrranties DON"T cover is lightning or power surge failures. I live in Florida and this is a constant problem. You will hear people contend that EW's are misleading in the length of coverage. This is not true. They "appear" to overlap, but they actually start from day one on the things the standard warranty doesn't cover.
post #654 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXP3064W View Post

Have any of you seen these 09 pannies @ their local costco yet? They finally sold out of the '08 models in my local costco, but no new '09's as of yet. One of their employees said maybe at the end of this month........I want to compare the 42X vs PN42B450 that i got @ BB last week and whichever looks better stays and the other back to the store. I'd prefer to wait to get the 42X @ costco, better return policy and I'm having a feeling that this model will have better blacks than my sammy, but coming from LCDs this sammy has killer black levels.

I was in my local Costco today and they had their first 09 Panny. It's the 42" X-14, 720p, 2 HDMI inputs and a computer input. It's a $170 less than the retail price of an X-1...that's dirt cheap for a Panasonic...I was only in there for a few minutes, but spotted it right away.
post #655 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

I was in my local Costco today and they had their first 09 Panny. It's the 42" X-14, 720p, 2 HDMI inputs and a computer input. It's a $170 less than the retail price of an X-1...that's dirt cheap for a Panasonic...I was only in there for a few minutes, but spotted it right away.

Wow that sounds cool I wonder if it has the same specs as the X1. Wonder why they gave that one a pc input but not the X1
post #656 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Wow that sounds cool I wonder if it has the same specs as the X1. Wonder why they gave that one a pc input but not the X1

They replaced a HDMI input with a DVI one. Don't know why they did it since a DVI (computer out) to HDMI (tv in) converter cost less than $4. I don't use my computer with the TV so maybe someone who does can enlighten us.

Larry
post #657 of 3187 Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

They replaced a HDMI input with a DVI one. Don't know why they did it since a DVI (computer out) to HDMI (tv in) converter cost less than $4. I don't use my computer with the TV so maybe someone who does can enlighten us.

Larry

Well they did have the problems with the PX80 cutting off with the DVI to HDMI right? I even thought this one was advertised with a PC Input but apparently that scrapped that idea.
post #658 of 3187 Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 AM

Hey Guys, I think i have an issue - all of the sudden my colors look neon like or fluorescent like. Like the purples have a pick cast. the Red's have a pink look. Green's look minty. Everything seems to be accentuated. I made sure everything was set back to defaults. Could something be going wrong ?? Any ideas on what to do ??

ps - i did try different cables - doesn't matter if I run component or hdmi - same thing.
post #659 of 3187 Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Larry

Oh I though the meant vga.
post #660 of 3187 Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM

I am getting my P50X1 tomorrow and will not have my cable till next week. First HD tv and I am not a tech person at all. Can I hook up my PS3 to it and just run D Nice dvd through that?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera X1 Series Tc P50x1 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page