The Official Panasonic TC-P50X1 and TC-P42X1 Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3187 Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I understand that these numbers are extremely off. But I ASSUME that if panny rates tv A. at 15k:1 and tv B. at 30k:1 then tv B. has better contrast.

NO??

Nope, contrast and black levels are basically the same between 2008 and 2009 720p models. It's all marketing.

Last year they even stated there was a 10k difference in contrast between the pz80/85 models and there was no difference. They're just trying to justify the increase in price with higher numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3187 Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1xyl1 View Post

Can anyone tell me if unboxing and placing the 42X1 on an existing stand is something I can do by myself? Or should I "phone a friend?" TV was delivered and getting help will be tough for a few days. Any tips on how to safely unbox the unit and how to attach the pedestal would be appreciated. Tnx!

I unboxed my Viera 50" and mounted it myself

Regarding the size questions above, I would definitely go for the 50". I sit 7 to 8 feet with my new basement DHT setup and the 50" 720p is CRYSTAL clear. No worries, do it!

post #723 of 3187 Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy View Post

You can turn the Pillarboxes to light gray or black. The manual advises against watching TV in 4:3 for such long periods of time but you can turn off the gray bars.

That is certainly good news!

I decided against the LGPQ30 and Sammy 42B450 because of the grey bars, and was actually considering the LN40A550. Now I can go pick up the X1 tomorrow!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #724 of 3187 Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Cool has a color temperature somewhere around 9,000 - 10,000K. Way too blue for me.

I haven't had the time to look at the X1 gamma in any picture mode other than Cinema but in the past three generations, difference in gamma was the overwhelming variable. Cinema had the flatest and Standard had a sharp dip at about 60 to 80% gray. That accounts for the 'pop' that people seem to like. Why do they like it? I don't know.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I never would have thought the temperature was that high. Interesting that the factory reference is set for cool, and then offsets are used for the other temps. One might think they would try to reference 6500k for "normal" and then offset from there. Right now I prefer the "cool" until I can work with the WB and try the offsets for warm. The slight "green shadow" on "normal" and "warm" are not up to my taste.

I am coming from an LCD that had WB adjustments in the user menu. Certainly a nice feature but with service menu access sort of evens out. Having access to the SM and D-Nice's offsets gave me no reservations in purchasing an x1.

I am still amazed by the picture, and the x1 is the entry-level 768p set and at an entry-level price! Good to remember not that long ago these things cost thousands of dollars. Also, the audio is very good (for TV audio that is). I don't yet even want to think (too much) about what I may be missing in the upgrade sets. I can be happy for now with this great plasma. BTW...I prefer the cinema mode; the colors seem stronger. Cinema may be a little softer but I am still in the experimental stage with the different modes. Then there are the adjustments for color and sharpness to even things out as it were.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #725 of 3187 Old 04-11-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I hooked mine up to my pc, corrected the issue with the nvidia control panel, and it looked beautiful. I didnt do any heavy testing but I did run a movie with mpc and it looked great.
Had sound through the tv speakers via hdmi, I was very happy with how great it looked, if I was single that would be my permanent monitor but gotta share the tv with my family so....

Thanks for the response whiteboy! Can anyone else comment about hooking up this plasma to a PC for htpc use.
post #726 of 3187 Old 04-11-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek981 View Post

Thanks for the response whiteboy! Can anyone else comment about hooking up this plasma to a PC for htpc use.

I kinda changed my mind read this
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1137719

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Nope, contrast and black levels are basically the same between 2008 and 2009 720p models. It's all marketing.

Last year they even stated there was a 10k difference in contrast between the pz80/85 models and there was no difference. They're just trying to justify the increase in price with higher numbers.

Wow thats lame. So do you know why the 42U1 and 42X1 have the same msrp. When one is 1080p?
post #727 of 3187 Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

According to this...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3328

The X14 series sold at costco is not an X series...its a "C" series...which is the absolute bottom of the line for panasonics 2009 models. And yes the contrast is half of the X series(15000 vs 30000)...I would imagine once they get to their 1080p models it will be the "U" series not the S series.
lame. I will not be buying a tv from costco...unlike in previous years they are not giving you apples to apples quality with the "warehouse" models. these are actually scaled down models with a worse picture. It would be one thing to eliminate the SD port or something but when you start messing wiht the picture its no longer a "bargain" ...Costcos price is no better than what sears sells a REAL X1 for when they have a sale.
post #728 of 3187 Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM

How much electrical "hum/buzz" is typical? I can hear mine if I listen really closely at brighter scenes without much sound. You know, that typical hum that lets you know that there's a TV on in the room even if it's a dark screen. I think I'm being completely anal and now I can hear it fairly often. It's not loud, exactly, but I can't shake it. If it's typical I have no problem. If it's just my set I want a new one. I'm guessing that if I returned it they'd look atme like i'm crazy.

This TV is great. the sound is a little hollow but I didn't buy it for the sound.
post #729 of 3187 Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post

How much electrical "hum/buzz" is typical? I can hear mine if I listen really closely at brighter scenes without much sound. You know, that typical hum that lets you know that there's a TV on in the room even if it's a dark screen. I think I'm being completely anal and now I can hear it fairly often. It's not loud, exactly, but I can't shake it. If it's typical I have no problem. If it's just my set I want a new one. I'm guessing that if I returned it they'd look atme like i'm crazy.

This TV is great. the sound is a little hollow but I didn't buy it for the sound.

Mine buzzez too. Get used to it. Plasmas do this. When you have the volume at reason listening levels the buzzing should not be that audible - if at all. If it continues to drive you crazy, think about another TV. I think the sound on this TV is quite good. Also, don't listen to it in Surround Sound mode. It's very hollow sounding.
post #730 of 3187 Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 PM

I'll take it out of surround mode...thanks! If these TVs have a hum I'm fine with that. I just didn't want to be alone. My HD DVR box makes much more noise but I know that's normal. If plasmas hum a little that's fine with me. This TV for around $1,000 is just a crazy good deal.
post #731 of 3187 Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberDude View Post

One TV that I was very excited to see when I first went shopping for a 50-inch plasma was the Samsung PN50A450, that is until I saw it in person. This TV has by far the worst black levels of any plasma TV I have ever seen. I have looked at this TV at many different stores and do not know how anyone is willing to buy one. It perplexes me that people actually compare the A450 to the budget 50' Panasonic Plasmas, as in my world, there is no comparison. The screen on the Samsung A450 actually looks more like dark grey than black. Looking at it next to any other TV was a major turn-off. I have no idea how these A450's are being bought.

Anyways, that's my rant. Other Sammy's look great, but the PN50A450 is a major bust in my book. I'm guessing I'll be very happy with my 'budget' Panasonic. Peace out.

I don't know about the worst black levels ever seen, but dark blacks are not the A450's strong point.

Blacks are important, but understand, they are not everything.

When I was at Magnolia Hi-fi yesterday they had a A450 just below a Panny TH-50PE8U, and the blacks on the Panny were not substantially different than the Sammy. They were perhaps a smidge better.

What was plainly obvious however was that the Panny looked much softer than the A450 and lacked detail that the A450 had. The A450 had a noticeably sharper and more detailed picture.

The Samsungs I've seen have better color accuracy than the budget model Panasonics too, and better whites.

The truth is, the budget model Panasonics and Samsungs both have different strengths and weaknesses, and the reason there is always heated debates as to which of the two is better is because different people are sensitive to various different aspects that go into the overall picture experience.

Some people are more sensitive to noise in the picture, others colors that are unnatural. Others cannot stand greyish blacks.

The Panasonics do tend to have blacks a shade or two darker than the Samsungs, and if having deeper blacks is extremely important to someone, then they will prefer the budget Panasonics over the budget Samsungs.

But I personally prefer the colors on the Sammies.

If someone is very persnickety about their television viewing experience, I don't see why they would want either of the budget Sammies or Pannies.

I think that there is quite a noticeable step up in quality when you get to the 2008 650 series Samsungs--either LCD or PDP.

The 550 series LCD's and PDP's just don't impress me that much. Perhaps it's the glossy screen on the 650 series LCD's that attracts me to them over the 550's. I think it helps the PQ.

I think the new B650 LCD's have horrible viewing angles that I don't remember with last years A650's. I will have to go look closely again at an A650 LCD from last year.

The LN46B650 that I saw yesterday at Magnolia was a major disappointment. I could not own that TV, period. It would drive me crazy, knowing thatI would have to sit dead center just to get a decent picture.
post #732 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Liked: 11
Oh, I forgot to mention that the A450's do not have all that good of a filter on them, so they do look terrible with direct lighting (especially flourescent) shining directly down on them.

The A450 does look a lot better when you get it home and away from the vivid lighting conditions of many stores.

You should also be aware that they crank the brightness up way too high on these Plasmas because of the bright lights in the store and to help them keep pace with brighter LCDs.

They had an A450 on display at my local Sears, and I thought to myself, gosh that set looks horribly grey. Who in their right mind would buy that? It looked much worse than many of the sets nearby. Of course my local Sears never has a clue as to how to best arrange their TV sets. It seems like a totally haphazard manner, with $2800 sets next to $800 sets, LCD and Plasmas all mixed and matched, different sizes and all. They didn't have enough brains to set the 50" Panny Plasma next to the 50" Sammy. They had them 3 or 4 TV's away, one up high and one down low.

So I pulled up the settings on the A450 and sure enough, the brightness was on 100! Of course it looked milky grey like crap.

It will not look that bad when you get it home and drop the brightness in half. Many people, with nothing beside it to compare to, will be plenty satisfied with it, and the blacks will be adequate, but not good.

But people will be drawn to the nice colors.
post #733 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog2004 View Post

According to this...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3328

The X14 series sold at costco is not an X series...its a "C" series...which is the absolute bottom of the line for panasonics 2009 models. And yes the contrast is half of the X series(15000 vs 30000)...I would imagine once they get to their 1080p models it will be the "U" series not the S series.
lame. I will not be buying a tv from costco...unlike in previous years they are not giving you apples to apples quality with the "warehouse" models. these are actually scaled down models with a worse picture. It would be one thing to eliminate the SD port or something but when you start messing wiht the picture its no longer a "bargain" ...Costcos price is no better than what sears sells a REAL X1 for when they have a sale.

Thanks for this info! I was this close to buying a Costco version of the X series. Now I wish I would have just bought the 08 version of the 720 50".

Guess I'll just wait until Sears has a sale.

I guess this is one case of "it didn't pay to wait".
post #734 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM

I thought I rememberd an X14 series on Panny's website and it was a step down from the X series. I was wondering where that was sold.
post #735 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought I rememberd an X14 series on Panny's website and it was a step down from the X series. I was wondering where that was sold.

Read the post above yours
post #736 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

I mean I was wondering before I had read that post. My tone didn't come across to well on my comment.
post #737 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean I was wondering before I had read that post. My tone didn't come across to well on my comment.

Oh ok sorry about that.
post #738 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM

That's OK. The way it was written begged for me to be scolded.
post #739 of 3187 Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount90 View Post

Thanks for this info! I was this close to buying a Costco version of the X series. Now I wish I would have just bought the 08 version of the 720 50".
Guess I'll just wait until Sears has a sale.

I guess this is one case of "it didn't pay to wait".

Man I was so psyched when costco got what I thought to be the X1's in...I have like a 400.00 credit to use there that I been sitting on...but then I realized their tv is bottom of the barrel. This seems to be the first year that costco is selling a "bargain" model with downgrades that actually affect the picture. Last year it was the PZ80 and PX80..they may have little changes like a non glossy bezel or no SD port but never anything lessening the picture. Now they have bargain basement garbage. Very dissapointed in costco considering that they are selling this TV for the same price as an on-sale X1 but half the quality.

The average people I see in costco I am certain have no clue about what to look for in a tv...they just see the low price, panasonic and they buy. But I guess thats the "genius" of Costco....lame.
post #740 of 3187 Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
For a second bedroom (primarily used for HDTV or XBOX Gaming), would you choose a TC-P50X1 or TC-P42S1 (assuming the price is similar)? Besides 1080p, is there anything else better with the S series?
post #741 of 3187 Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

For a second bedroom (primarily used for HDTV or XBOX Gaming), would you choose a TC-P50X1 or TC-P42S1 (assuming the price is similar)? Besides 1080p, is there anything else better with the S series?

What will your seating distance be? I'm very happy with my 50X1 at 10' but I don't game. HDTV is great.
post #742 of 3187 Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

You guys are killing me with this gaming....the "games" you SHOULD be playing in the bedroom don't require electronics...I guess nowhere is safe from the game-aholics...lol...
post #743 of 3187 Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Don't discount the value of electronics.
post #744 of 3187 Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

You guys are killing me with this gaming....the "games" you SHOULD be playing in the bedroom don't require electronics...I guess nowhere is safe from the game-aholics...lol...

One "game" does not and should not exclude another

Quote:

What will your seating distance be? I'm very happy with my 50X1 at 10' but I don't game. HDTV is great.

I will be sitting at 9'-10', so I'm glad you're happy with the 50". I was concerned that 50" might be too big - and that I would have to select the 42". I decided on the 50" also because of the higher native resolution compared to the 42"
post #745 of 3187 Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM

I thought it would be to big as well. It's not. Not even close.
post #746 of 3187 Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm a newbie and I have a problem Seriously I just purchased a
42X and have 118 hours on it, but I noticed that the sound is "raspy" on some scenes. It sounds like a radio that is not tuned to the exact frequency. Is there a fine tuning option in the Service Menu? I DO NOT have an HDMI connection in use as I am using only DVD audio outputs thru the TV speakers and digital cable thru the QAM tuner... it seems to be more noticeable on DVD (3 in use). I have changed out the audio cables with no improvement. Should I return the unit or ask for a service call? By the by... my picture improved dramatically after about 100 hours. I lowered my settings to the recommended levels here on the forum during the settlingly-in period. Sound is great when connected by digital output to my audio receiver. Just curious.... This is a very informative site, keep up the good works for us neophites.
post #747 of 3187 Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
fonejac,

There are NO sound settings in the service mode.

Larry
post #748 of 3187 Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejac View Post

42X and have 118 hours on it, but I noticed that the sound is "raspy" on some scenes. It sounds like a radio that is not tuned to the exact frequency. Is there a fine tuning option in the Service Menu? I DO NOT have an HDMI connection in use as I am using only DVD audio outputs thru the TV speakers and digital cable thru the QAM tuner... it seems to be more noticeable on DVD (3 in use). I have changed out the audio cables with no improvement. Should I return the unit or ask for a service call? By the by... my picture improved dramatically after about 100 hours. I lowered my settings to the recommended levels here on the forum during the settlingly-in period. Sound is great when connected by digital output to my audio receiver. Just curious.... This is a very informative site, keep up the good works for us neophites.

I have one stb hooked up via composite cables (redwhiteyellow) and havent had this issue.

I believe that you might want to consider returning your set because that doesnt seem right.
post #749 of 3187 Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejac View Post

Is the TV set to Surround Sound Mode? Did you crank up the bass? I have to say I'm very happy with the sound on this TV. I don't crank it up but for casual non 5.1 listening it is more than adequate.
post #750 of 3187 Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

I just got my TC-P50X1 in but I have to wait unpacking it until I move to my new condo. It will be the guest room/office television since I have a Epson 1080UB projector in the living room, but I'm excited regardless!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera X1 Series Tc P50x1 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page