Lg reaffirms commitment to plasma business - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chadmak09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://hometheatermag.com/news/022709lg/

February 27, 2009 Responding to rumors that it may pull out of plasma manufacturing, LG reaffirmed its commitment to the category in a press release issued today. In its entirety, it says:

LG REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO PLASMA BUSINESS

Seoul, Korea, February 27, 2009LG Electronics is one of the world's leading producers of plasma display panels (PDPs) and plasma TVs.
As a founding member of the Plasma Display Coalition, we are committed to the plasma business and we believe plasma TVs are an important segment in the flat panel display sector. In addition, unlike some current and former plasma TV players, LG possesses core technologies for plasma TVs and PDP modules, giving us unique advantages in the market. We have invested heavily to strengthen the LG brand in this segment and will continue to do so.

The demand for plasma TVs is still growing. Based on this, we have set a goal to sell 3 million plasma TVs in 2009, giving us 19 percent of the total plasma TV market. We will focus primarily on plasma TVs 50 inches and larger, where demand is highest.

To help us achieve our goal for this year, LG is introducing new plasma TVs with advanced features like wireless Bluetooth connectivity and Full HD resolution, along with innovative frameless designs. Additionally, LG is initiating and expanding relationships with both premium retailers and mass merchandisers through proactive collaboration in promotional activities for plasma TVs.

To make our plasma production even more efficient, we shifted obsolete production lines over to solar panel manufacturing in 2008, and increased capacity of our more efficient lines. In 2009, we integrated our PDP module and plasma TV businesses to leverage vertical efficiencies between sets and components and create a stronger supply chain.

LG will continue to develop a wide range of plasma displays fully accommodating customer needs and wants.


LG also said it will follow through on plans to release six new plasma models, including two 60-inch, three 50-inch, and one 42-inch. Four of them will be 1080p. Alliances with Yahoo, Netflix, and YouTube will bring online content from those sources. The two top-line PS80 models will also include a significant new feature, THX Media Director, which enables hardware and software to coordinate the automation of picture and sound settings. If implemented in enough software, this could be a pretty big deal.
chadmak09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Again, this is great news Chad. Regardless of how me may differ on certain things, I think as plasma fans we can agree that the commitment by LG to remain in the plasma sector is a good thing.
discopaul is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
creemail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I believe I may have posted this. However, what you will notice by the end of this year is that companies will not manufacturer PDP's. Although I am optimistic, that they will continue success, but now PDP's are doomed due to lack of support and stirring interest of most consumers.

Chris
creemail is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chadmak09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe panasonic can turn it all around.

I doubt it though.

The public will be the ones who decide. Which can be a horrible thing sometimes.

I hate to say it but I think Plasma may be doomed also.
Now that Pioneer and Vizio are stopping production, I am sure millions of salesmen will tell customers that plasma is dying so buying a plasma is a bad idea and that Plasma is not as good because it is not 120hz and doesn't have LED backlighting. lol.
Its bad enough trying to get past all the burn-in aftermath and re-filling the plasma gas yearly nonsense, now its being labeled as a dead technology.

This mentality is spreading like wildfire. Heck, its even showing up here at AVS, where performance should be the main factor.
chadmak09 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Member
 
xtremefit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Maybe panasonic can turn it all around.

I doubt it though.

The public will be the ones who decide. Which can be a horrible thing sometimes.

I hate to say it but I think Plasma may be doomed also.
Now that Pioneer and Vizio are stopping production, I am sure millions of salesmen will tell customers that plasma is dying so buying a plasma is a bad idea and that Plasma is not as good because it is not 120hz and doesn't have LED backlighting. lol.
Its bad enough trying to get past all the burn-in aftermath and re-filling the plasma gas yearly nonsense, now its being labeled as a dead technology.

This mentality is spreading like wildfire. Heck, its even showing up here at AVS, where performance should be the main factor.

Thats exactly what's happened here to plasma is the BS that's out there. Me and my friend had a salesman at BB tell us plasma's need to be recharged every year. They just have a bigger profit margin pushing LCD'S, so they'll say anything to get you to go that way.(In this case though, the kid had an IQ of a mop, like most people that work at BB) Now, like you said, their saying it's dead technology. I don't think it's dead yet though. Plasma has made a big comback. Pioneer went under because it was to expensive and people couldn't afford it with today's economy. It's that simple. Either way, I'm glad I got my Elite and will be the last time I shop for a tv for a long time. My XBR/5 hasn't been touched since I got it.

50' Pioneer Elite Kuro
xtremefit is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Sacramento,Ca., usa
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have a friend in the home theater business - he loves plasmas but told me they will likely be extinct in 2 years.

FPs and LCDs will be the only options.

Go Duke !
Trackman is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chadmak09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

i have a friend in the home theater business - he loves plasmas but told me they will likely be extinct in 2 years.

FPs and LCDs will be the only options.

If him and other salesmen tell this to thier customers then it will be the final nail in the coffin.
chadmak09 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
simplemath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Time to short lg stock.
simplemath is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:


Lg reaffirms commitment to plasma business

Why prolong the inevitable?
Auditor55 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Plasma is the best overall technoligy out for the money.

I agree and I think Samsung has said as much and I'm inclined to believe Panasonic and LG feel that way as well.
discopaul is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
bsavitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

http://hometheatermag.com/news/022709lg/

February 27, 2009 Responding to rumors that it may pull out of plasma manufacturing, LG reaffirmed its commitment to the category in a press release issued today. In its entirety, it says:

LG REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO PLASMA BUSINESS

Seoul, Korea, February 27, 2009LG Electronics is one of the world's leading producers of plasma display panels (PDPs) and plasma TVs.
As a founding member of the Plasma Display Coalition, we are committed to the plasma business and we believe plasma TVs are an important segment in the flat panel display sector. In addition, unlike some current and former plasma TV players, LG possesses core technologies for plasma TVs and PDP modules, giving us unique advantages in the market. We have invested heavily to strengthen the LG brand in this segment and will continue to do so.

The demand for plasma TVs is still growing. Based on this, we have set a goal to sell 3 million plasma TVs in 2009, giving us 19 percent of the total plasma TV market. We will focus primarily on plasma TVs 50 inches and larger, where demand is highest.

To help us achieve our goal for this year, LG is introducing new plasma TVs with advanced features like wireless Bluetooth connectivity and Full HD resolution, along with innovative frameless designs. Additionally, LG is initiating and expanding relationships with both premium retailers and mass merchandisers through proactive collaboration in promotional activities for plasma TVs.

To make our plasma production even more efficient, we shifted obsolete production lines over to solar panel manufacturing in 2008, and increased capacity of our more efficient lines. In 2009, we integrated our PDP module and plasma TV businesses to leverage vertical efficiencies between sets and components and create a stronger supply chain.

LG will continue to develop a wide range of plasma displays fully accommodating customer needs and wants.


LG also said it will follow through on plans to release six new plasma models, including two 60-inch, three 50-inch, and one 42-inch. Four of them will be 1080p. Alliances with Yahoo, Netflix, and YouTube will bring online content from those sources. The two top-line PS80 models will also include a significant new feature, THX Media Director, which enables hardware and software to coordinate the automation of picture and sound settings. If implemented in enough software, this could be a pretty big deal.

I think the highlighted sentence is the key. This is what's been lacking in recent years. If LG can be successful in getting retailers, especially places like Best Buy, to push the virtues of plasma to the masses, along with a good advertising strategy, I think plasma stands a good chance to succeed. I hope Panasonic will take a similar approach.
I'm remaining optimistic about it.
bsavitz is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chadmak09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why prolong the inevitable?

Because plasma is widely regarded by professionals as the best flat-panel technology when it comes to picture quality.

We need plasma until OLED is availible in large sizes.
chadmak09 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off