Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 7897 Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantomime horse View Post

The Descent, Silent Hill, and the Alien series come to mind.

OMG im dying to watch the descent on this bad boy!! And AVP Requiem! I'm only 24 hrs into break-in . I suppose I could sneak a letterboxed movie in there but idk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7897 Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUfan77 View Post

OMG im dying to watch the descent on this bad boy!! And AVP Requiem! I'm only 24 hrs into break-in . I suppose I could sneak a letterboxed movie in there but idk...

Yup, big sci fi fan/horror as well. I think I'm sold on the 46 or dare I say...50 S1? 30 Days of Night is another killer on BR that's a must watch. Lot's of deep coloring in that one.
post #273 of 7897 Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Yup, big sci fi fan/horror as well. I think I'm sold on the 46 or dare I say...50 S1? 30 Days of Night is another killer on BR that's a must watch. Lot's of deep coloring in that one.

I recommend the 50!! (she's treating me well)
I've 30 days of night too, so many movies to rewatch!!
post #274 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Going to see the S1 this weekend. Hopeful it will be looking reasonably better than the X1 even in a store environment.

Too bad, Dnice doesn't have an S1 yet. Would love to get his take afterwards. But reading the new Panny threads, he's done a lot to help a whole lot of folks here. And that is really awesome.

Rock on Dnice, rock on.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #275 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

I wouldn't rate power consumption as the top feature, but here are the "published" numbers by panasonic

I wouldn't either, BUT it is, opr should be a VERY important consideration especially considering these Plasmas are the worst power hogs of most any consumer product. I did see those "ratings", but I was looking for real world figures.

All that is needed is a $17 'Kill-A-Watt'.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #276 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is x.v. color an important feature to have? Like others, I am deciding between the S1 and G10.
post #277 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I wouldn't either, BUT it is, opr should be a VERY important consideration especially considering these Plasmas are the worst power hogs of most any consumer product. I did see those "ratings", but I was looking for real world figures.

Cnet's reviews list real world power usage.
post #278 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post

Is x.v. color an important feature to have? Like others, I am deciding between the S1 and G10.

No, not important at all.
post #279 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 PM

So tonight I broke down and ordered the 46 S1 from Cleveland Plasma. First time I've bought a TV online so it's exciting but nailbiting at the same time.

Now for the hard part, moving my huge 36in Sony WEGA CRT....holy mackeral that thing is heavy.
post #280 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm going to have the same problem...

Quote:

So tonight I broke down and ordered the 46 S1 from Cleveland Plasma. First time I've bought a TV online so it's exciting but nailbiting at the same time.

Now for the hard part, moving my huge 36in Sony WEGA CRT....holy mackeral that thing is heavy.

post #281 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Hey guys I don't mean to go off topic for my fist post but I've been following these 12g Panny threads for a while now and I've seen more than one person make mention of the difficulty in moving a 36" CRT. If you are by yourself then you have a problem but if you are moving it with help of another person here's a simple little tip that may help some of you: carry the TV with the screen facing the floor. These TVs have the bulk of their weight in the front of them and if you have all that weight pointing downward then it's much easier to move. When trying to move a big heavy CRT with the screen facing any other way but down you will always be fighting that weight wanting to go off in one direction or another, pulling to one side and pretty much overloading one arm. With the arms fully extended downward and your hands under the TV you are distributing the weight more evenly. It's still a heavy SOB but at least you will be in control of the beast.
post #282 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Ok, how about ther most important feature; lower power consumption?

Quote:

Although it quite possibly might be a important feature to some people. It is also not something that I would say is the "most important feature" to all people.
Sorry, but I don't even think it's a "VERY" important thing to consider either. I consider things like picture quality to be important, and not if it will save me $20-$30 a year in electricity. And I myself will not let power consumption dictate what brand or what kind of TV I will or will not buy.
post #283 of 7897 Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Quick question guys, I went into my picture menu while watching a blu-ray (connected via HDMI) and saw that my color matrix was set to SD and is grayed out so i cant change it to HD. Shouldn't it be on HD? How can I fix this?
post #284 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantinganewtoy View Post

Hey guys I don't mean to go off topic for my fist post but I've been following these 12g Panny threads for a while now and I've seen more than one person make mention of the difficulty in moving a 36" CRT. If you are by yourself then you have a problem but if you are moving it with help of another person here's a simple little tip that may help some of you: carry the TV with the screen facing the floor. These TVs have the bulk of their weight in the front of them and if you have all that weight pointing downward then it's much easier to move. When trying to move a big heavy CRT with the screen facing any other way but down you will always be fighting that weight wanting to go off in one direction or another, pulling to one side and pretty much overloading one arm. With the arms fully extended downward and your hands under the TV you are distributing the weight more evenly. It's still a heavy SOB but at least you will be in control of the beast.

Thanks for the tip, I have a 36" crt also.
post #285 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Quick question guys, I went into my picture menu while watching a blu-ray (connected via HDMI) and saw that my color matrix was set to SD and is grayed out so i cant change it to HD. Shouldn't it be on HD? How can I fix this?

I've read that if you try to change the setting while watching an SD channel instead of an HD channel that it will no longer be grayed out as it is when watching HD channels or Blu-Ray movies.
post #286 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantinganewtoy View Post

That's how my brother and I had to do it. It's still very heavy but the weight distribution is more even.
post #287 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Great tip wantinganewtoy! This falls squarely into the "why didn't I think of that " category.
post #288 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're sending it an HD signal, it's using the HD color matrix (no matter what it says) and won't let you change it. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #289 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read that if you try to change the setting while watching an SD channel instead of an HD channel that it will no longer be grayed out as it is when watching HD channels or Blu-Ray movies.

Yeah, but you probably don't want to change it to the HD color matrix when you're watching SD, that's not usually the correct setting.
post #290 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

If you're sending it an HD signal, it's using the HD color matrix (no matter what it says) and won't let you change it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, thanks!
post #291 of 7897 Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:

That's how my brother and I had to do it. It's still very heavy but the weight distribution is more even.

I'm gonna have to try this weekend if this works, I'm gonna miss that big ol' CRT...
post #292 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i stopped by HHGregg yesterday and they didnt have the S1's but i saw a 42'' X1. Man, that tv looks really good I was surprised. I was a flinch away from buying it instead of the 46'' S1 im holding off for. I hope the difference is worth it

"I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim." - Rickson Gracie
post #293 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Any black level comparisons of the S1 50" with the Z80/85 and PX80?
post #294 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM

@marka04

very nice pictures here at Post #59
post #295 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna have to try this weekend if this works, I'm gonna miss that big ol' CRT...

I remember when I parted company with my 40" Mits tube set. 2 guys came to pick it up. One guy looked like an NFL nose guard and the other an average sized dude. The big guy picked it up and the veins in his neck looked like they were going to burst. They carried it down 3 flights of stairs and I didn't think the smaller guy was gonna make it. That baby was close to 300lbs, what a beast. Great display for not being HD.
post #296 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I had the same set, mine was a XBR400 36" with matching stand. Last June I put them both up on Craigs List for $400 and a woman bought it. I was relieved, that thing was a monster. I ended up getting the 46" 85U set, and have been quite pleased so far. Got the 4 year extended warranty on the TV because I was able to get the television for about fifty dollars above cost, so opted or the piece of mind of having it covered for four years.
post #297 of 7897 Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post

I had the same set, mine was a XBR400 36" with matching stand. Last June I put them both up on Craigs List for $400 and a woman bought it. I was relieved, that thing was a monster. I ended up getting the 46" 85U set, and have been quite pleased so far. Got the 4 year extended warranty on the TV because I was able to get the television for about fifty dollars above cost, so opted or the piece of mind of having it covered for four years.

This is the exact same set I have and with the matching stand. I'm giving mine to a buddy, only thing he has to do is help me get it outta my house!

On another note, I currently have the Toshiba A2 HD DVD player. I just realized that it's only a 1080i player. So, will this give me the de-interlacing problem I've heard about. Wondering if the TV upconverting the pic from "i" to "p" is going to be an issue...
post #298 of 7897 Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Just got my 50" and i love it. Only thing is when i switch from HD to SD or Ondemand Content my screen just for lick a sec flashes green and lines across the screen. My old Panny justed to just turn black for a sec when switching for hd to sd. Anyone else have this?
post #299 of 7897 Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor7522 View Post

Just got my 50" and i love it. Only thing is when i switch from HD to SD or Ondemand Content my screen just for lick a sec flashes green and lines across the screen. My old Panny justed to just turn black for a sec when switching for hd to sd. Anyone else have this?

That doesn't happen on mine.
post #300 of 7897 Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM

I wonder if it is my HDMI cable or a setting in the cable box. Also I have read that you should change the balck bar meter to mid gray but mine is grayed out with bright selected. Any ideas?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page