Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgerm View Post

I'm in the process of breaking in the TV with webapalooza's file, set to Vivid (automatically the contrast is cranked to 100)

My question is, I really want to watch some HD content, should I do so while in the process of performing the break in?

I do about 10 hours a day of the break in process but at night I want to test some of my 1080p goodies.

Thanks

Go for it. It's advisable to stick more to full-screen content (1.78:1), but there's really no harm in throwing a framed movie in the mix. Enjoy your TV! Don't be afraid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post

I don't own one yet, but I could of sworn I read a thread somewhere that said the response time for commands was very fast. I was hoping that was true because I absolutely hate an annoying lag time for inputting commands.

My remote commands are also lagging.
Sometimes like 3 seconds before it switches when doing picture adjustments, like from contrast to brightness etc..

Is this normal & if not how do you correct it?
post #543 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

So I'm hearing "rumors" that the G10's processor is better than the S1's. I was standing in front of both sets at flat out could not tell any difference. Now, it was a bad best buy feed, but it was going to both sets.

Can someone confirm or deny? My understanding is the only diff in these sets is extra inputs and THX mode.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #544 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

So I'm hearing "rumors" that the G10's processor is better than the S1's. I was standing in front of both sets at flat out could not tell any difference. Now, it was a bad best buy feed, but it was going to both sets.

Can someone confirm or deny? My understanding is the only diff in these sets is extra inputs and THX mode.

I have to ask. In the last 2 months you have returned 2 Samsungs, presently have the Panny S1, were asking about the 09 Samsungs(even after returning 2), and now are looking at the G-10, is this correct?
post #545 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

On the G10 thread, there's a list of the differences like analog output, THX, etc. As for the picture, there's been only minimal speculation that the G10 may, and I emphasize may have slightly better blacks but to this point no one has run test to conclude anything.

Many have stated the expectation that with similar break-in, and advanced settings performed in the service menu, the pictures would be the same.

My guess is that those people would be correct. You will not be able to obtain THX mode on an S1 but many folks with the G10 to this point prefer doing tunings in custom mode over THX anyway saying the latter is somewhat too dark for their taste. (They are trying to see about going into the service menu to change brightness if possible.)

Check the G10 thread for a complete list of the differences. There's the Amazon video service and many people are hoping to see Netflix added as well via ethernet.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #546 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

I have to ask. In the last 2 months you have returned 2 Samsungs, presently have the Panny S1, were asking about the 09 Samsungs(even after returning 2), and now are looking at the G-10, is this correct?

Mostly accurate. I'm only curious about the differences in the S1 and G10. Everything else in your statement is spot on.

Regarding the Sammy's, too big of an investment to put up with defects(pink hues, horizontal lines, geez).

post #547 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM

I've been searching around and haven't been able to find anything. Has D-nice posted any settings for this set yet? I could've sworn I stumbled on something a few days ago before I got the set but maybe it was something else.

Anyway I'm now a proud owner! Got mine on Monday and been running the break in images whenever I get a chance. Played a few games and watched some TV...

Gotta say that the 360 looks amazing! The Wii looks ok but nothing special, if anything it might look a little worse since the bigger size (got a 42, had a 30" Samsung Slimfit before) brings out that it's only in 480p. I also watched some of The Matrix on HD-DVD and it looked incredible!

I'm not afraid to take advice on the sm settings though so if they are posted could somebody link them? If not I hope they're posted soon....
post #548 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSonic View Post

I'm not afraid to take advice on the sm settings though so if they are posted could somebody link them? If not I hope they're posted soon....

I've heard going into the SM can void your warranty.

post #549 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

My remote commands are also lagging.
Sometimes like 3 seconds before it switches when doing picture adjustments, like from contrast to brightness etc..

Is this normal & if not how do you correct it?

3 seconds seems a little on the high side to me but I would agree some commands are somewhat slow to respond. Assuming it is normal now that I have seen it mentioned several times and experienced it myself.

Volume UP/DOWN appears to be quick, but making picture setting adjustments in the menu has a much slower response time for some reason.
post #550 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

I've heard going into the SM can void your warranty.

2 things, going into the "serviceman" menu won't help this problem anyway, BUT, under no circumstances should they go into the SM. A plasma isn't a toy and these Bob Vila types could ruin the display(even if they write down the original settings). As far as the warranty thing goes, it's a grey area.
post #551 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I recently purchased the 50" S1, got it home and immediately started the break-in process with the SD card images. I noticed one pixel is dimmer than all the others. It's not a dead black pixel though. It's pretty easy to spot with those full screen color images. Is this something that will correct itself through the break-in process? Or is it something I will only notice during these slides and not normal viewing? Any help would be appreciated... thanks.
post #552 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Any further info on sound cutting out on SD channels? Particularly the TC-P50S1. I'm ready to pull the trigger but this is a potential deal breaker to me.

For the people with problems, where did you get yours?
post #553 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSonic View Post

Has D-nice posted any settings for this set yet?

Nope. They will be on page 1 of the following thread when he does...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128487
post #554 of 7895 Old 04-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanesq View Post

As for the picture, there's been only minimal speculation that the G10 may, and I emphasize may have slightly better blacks but to this point no one has run test to conclude anything.

Actually, somebody has run tests. CNET reviewed both models, and made direct comparisons between the G10 and S1 (in the G10's review). They found the G10 had better overall colors and black levels.

Quote:

"As for the other displays, despite the S1's identical contrast ratio specification, it appeared lighter in near-black areas than the G10, and couldn't match the latter's color accuracy (the S1 dipped into green)." -- cnet

Full review here: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...tag=mncol;rnav

As for CNET, and whether or not you trust them... that's another story. Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm in the middle. I simply lump them in with all the other review sites, and view them as a whole. It's always best not to put too much stock in a single source, but rather try to get as many opinions as possible.

On a side note -- I'll take CNET's word over your word word, any day, romanesq. You've broken rules here at the community in regards to putting down other's prouduct/brand choices, and you've proven to be a very rude person. I simply don't trust you.

Anyway, the S1 and G10 share most of their components. No doubt. But whether or not the S1 can achieve identicle performance, remains to be seen. So far the only credible source I've found that's reviewed both sets was CNET, and they say the G10 is better.

I upgraded from the S1 to the G10, and I've not seen any significant differences between the two, but I only spent a short time with the S1, and just now getting my G10 out of break-in. For the record, I made the upgrade because a couple extra features I wanted, not because of any supposed improved PQ, and I had not even seen that review when I made the decision.

Here's hoping that all S1 and G10 owners will be happy!

*Except for romanesq. I hope his TV falls off the wall and shatters into many pieces. I really do!

One day at a time...
post #555 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Well, I finally made my decision and ordered the Panasonic 50" S1 from Chris @ Cleveland Plasma. I also added the Denon 1909 receiver and 3 yr Mack warranty. I feel better just having made the decision! Now I anxiously wait for my tv to arrive. We will be rearranging the living room this weekend. I'm sure my husband will be thrilled when he gets to crawl up in the attic to move around speaker wire!!
Now the next step is to find the thread with the break in process so I'm ready when my tv arrives....
post #556 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Research71 View Post

Now the next step is to find the thread with the break in process so I'm ready when my tv arrives....

This should help you.
Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107
post #557 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM

In hour 40 of the break in process. Why does time go so slow when you want something, lol.

Just bought some blue jean HDMI cables and am pretty much set now.

I am letting my run all day and night with no issues of heat or anything like that.
post #558 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Research71 View Post

Well, I finally made my decision and ordered the Panasonic 50" S1 from Chris @ Cleveland Plasma. I also added the Denon 1909 receiver and 3 yr Mack warranty. I feel better just having made the decision! Now I anxiously wait for my tv to arrive. We will be rearranging the living room this weekend. I'm sure my husband will be thrilled when he gets to crawl up in the attic to move around speaker wire!!

I remember your initial posts on here...you really did a great job and lived up to your forum name. Good job also on the Denon(I have the 988 model). One final thing...if you need HDMI cables...check out monoprice.com, a forum sponsor at the top of this page. There are a lot of HDMI cables to select from, but I'd go with "Product ID 3658", which is a 6 foot cable.

Good luck!
post #559 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

We consider the testing by D-nice to be valuable here because of the extensive in depth use of all the available adjustments that CNET will not do. The service menu changes D-Nice has offered have been substantial improvements and since CNET avoids this acting as a typical consumer, their comparisons between the S1 and G10 are also limited.

Now if some little newbie who complained like a child from day one about the bezel color and ran on and on can't take the reality of criticism that it's childish, that's too bad.

This ain't high school. A lot of serious people work hard to make these boards useful. Grow up and happy nightmares.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #560 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

*Except for romanesq. I hope his TV falls off the wall and shatters into many pieces. I really do!

What's this all about?
post #561 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM

I picked up my new 46s1 today, I downloaded the breakin thumbnails to my sd card so I can break in that way. Is there other settings I should consider setting it to while I am breaking it in and after?
post #562 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe the X1 has better blacks than the S1. I bought the S1 b/c on paper it was the same as a G10, only the G10 had a few features I didn't think were worth the step up. I wonder if the S1 is gimped intentionally, or it's some second rate panel. I fully admit that the root of my unhappiness is my own doing.

I believed people on the forum that IR was a thing of the past for plasmas. That's wrong. It very much is still an issue. I'm constantly babying the set to make sure I don't get burn in.

I bought from Cleveland Plasma b/c they are a forum sponsor and had a great price. I shot myself in the foot b/c the 25% restocking fee prohibits returns. I shouldn't have gone for the lowest price, and used a B&M or Amazon.

I didn't wait for reviews, and relied on the tech specs. I figured NeoPDP is NeoPDP and CR is CR. Obviously that is not the case.

I hope anyone reading this thread while researching the S1 chooses to go in a different direction. The set just isn't a good value. I know existing owners will be upset with me. I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm trying to be a good community member and encourage prospective buyers to either buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, or avoid the S1 entirely.
post #563 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post

I can't believe the X1 has better blacks than the S1.

Did I miss something where the X1 has better blacks then the S1? I haven't compared the two together so I can't say you're wrong or right. I have the S1 and comparing to my ol' CRT it doesn't have the same blacks but by plasma standards I think it's better than average.
post #564 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I can't believe the X1 has better blacks than the S1. I bought the S1 b/c on paper it was the same as a G10, only the G10 had a few features I didn't think were worth the step up. I wonder if the S1 is gimped intentionally, or it's some second rate panel. I fully admit that the root of my unhappiness is my own doing.

I believed people on the forum that IR was a thing of the past for plasmas. That's wrong. It very much is still an issue. I'm constantly babying the set to make sure I don't get burn in.

I bought from Cleveland Plasma b/c they are a forum sponsor and had a great price. I shot myself in the foot b/c the 25% restocking fee prohibits returns. I shouldn't have gone for the lowest price, and used a B&M or Amazon.

I didn't wait for reviews, and relied on the tech specs. I figured NeoPDP is NeoPDP and CR is CR. Obviously that is not the case.

I hope anyone reading this thread while researching the S1 chooses to go in a different direction. The set just isn't a good value. I know existing owners will be upset with me. I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm trying to be a good community member and encourage prospective buyers to either buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, or avoid the S1 entirely.

Tobasco...I'm new here and all...but I looked through some of your old posts...have you ever said anything good about any of the TVs you owned. Any post I've seen you make has been bashing something. Just curious...
post #565 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Did I miss something where the X1 has better blacks then the S1? I haven't compared the two together so I can't say you're wrong or right. I have the S1 and comparing to my ol' CRT it doesn't have the same blacks but by plasma standards I think it's better than average.

no way, the x1 has a 30,000 to 1 contrast ratio vs. the s1 with a 40,000 to 1 contrast ratio so it's bs about the x1 having better blacks then the s1.
post #566 of 7895 Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioste View Post

Tobasco...I'm new here and all...but I looked through some of your old posts...have you ever said anything good about any of the TVs you owned. Any post I've seen you make has been bashing something. Just curious...

That's a valid criticism. I am too picky. I could also tell you many nice things about all the TVs I've tried (except the Sony LCDs). I went through several LCDs hoping to find one that offered good performance for gaming (low input lag, shadow detail, motion resolution). That's why I was so excited for the NeoPDP. Full motion resolution. Low input lag. Good brightness. No more IR worries.

My complaint here is specifically at the S1. To me, it's a no brainer to with the G10 if you want Panny Plasma and are willing to baby the set to avoid IR. That the S1 is bested by the X1 in any area is really insane. There's no sugar-coating that.

FWIW, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Samsung LNXXA650

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

no way, the x1 has a 30,000 to 1 contrast ratio vs. the s1 with a 40,000 to 1 contrast ratio so it's bs about the x1 having better blacks then the s1.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33490593.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet View Post

he Panasonic TC-P50X1's best picture quality characteristic is its capability to deliver a deep shade of black, which, as usual, lends the entire picture depth and pop in all lighting conditions. In a darkened home theater, watching dim scenes like the nighttime drive at the beginning of Chapter 7, the 50X1 handily out-blacked the LCDs (aside from the LED-powered Sony) and even looked a bit darker than Panasonic's own TC-P42S1 despite that more-expensive series' higher contrast ratio spec. The Panasonic G10 delivered a slightly deeper shade of black, however, and of course the Pioneer plasma was a good deal darker.

post #567 of 7895 Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 AM

The keyword in that excerpt is looked. There is no talk of actual black-level measurements in their review, that I could find at least. Personally I think it was very irresponsible of that reviewer to make such an outlandish statement with absolutely nothing to back it up. And truthfully, I think it's irresponsible of you to come on here and start telling people to avoid this set because one guy's opinion is that it looked less black. If you want the real performance measurements, speak with Chad B., I'm sure he wouldn't mind providing you with the real numbers.
post #568 of 7895 Old 04-24-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioste View Post

Unfortunately it appears that there are some chronic "return-a-holics" on the forum. I was shocked to see how many people keep returning TV's. They always have some "issue" that they claim is the reason. After a while you wonder if the real "issue" is with them, not the TV. They return 2 TV's of the same brand and vow they would never buy another one....they switch brands..and then they return the "new" brand...then you find them buying another TV of the brand that they swore they would never own again...

This is the reason most dealers have implemented a "re-stocking fee". It screws the honest consumer who isn't playing the return game. I'm not saying there isn't a valid reason to return "a" TV, but not over and over and over again.
post #569 of 7895 Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right. I completely made up the part about the entry level last generation panel having better blacks than the much-hyped-by-Panasonic NeoPDP. There's nothing wrong at all with the S1. I'm a returnaholic.

Or, as I said, perspective buyers should get the G10 instead.
post #570 of 7895 Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:

I can't believe the X1 has better blacks than the S1.

What proof do you have of this to back up your bold statement? Have you put them side by side in your house and compared? Have you had them professionally calibrated? If this is an "opinion" then it should be stated as such, and not as fact. Maybe someone else's eye doesn't see it that way.
Granted, it makes me nervous, since I just bought the S1, but I'm hoping I'm not "overboard picky" and will enjoy my new purchase for many years to come. I just think posters should be VERY careful when making a bold statement like this.

It's kind of funny...you can tell by reading posts which members know what the heck they're talking about. DNice, Randy Walters, and Speedking are a few of the posters I trust when they make a statement. It's because they use a professional tone, and have something to back up what they're saying. Can't tell you guys (or gals) how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!!

Renee
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page