The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS1 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7897 Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy has the TC-P54S1 in at least some warehouses now. I ordered one with delivery to me Sunday. Good prices are possible even there with some negotiation and a coupon. I have a lightmeter that has been pretty accurate relative to pro reviews on both a XV-Z12000 MK II and a 42PZ80U. I'll post some contrast measurements after my five day break-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The European models and model lineup don't completely correspond with the USA models and model lineup, and Europe usually doesn't get all the different models that we get here in the USA. And of those that do appear to correspond, many of the specs and features are different because ya'll have different electrical and broadcast systems over yonder. And even the European models differ from country to country (ie: the Norwegian version is different from the closest UK model).

Here's a great UK based plasma forum that covers the European models in case you're not aware of it:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/

thanks a lot! I will have a look at it
post #723 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post

I have a huge issue with my 50S1.

Here is the video of it happening. look closely you can see black bar expanding throughout entire screen when moving the playback controls of the vlc media player. btw this issue is NOT limited to PC only but to my ps3 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCSbL8QjMc

Yeah, that's bad. I haven't checked my hours, but I probably have around 150 to 200 but I have never seen anything like that. That would drive me crazy.

What are your inputs (HDMI, Component, S-Video)? Do you see it from cable/dish? I have inputs from Dish Network, PS3, Xbox360 - all hdmi and have never seen anything like that. What are your settings? Have you got it set with a really high contrast/brightness or anything like that? I'm just trying to see if it might be a global issue (not just a defective panel) and if there is anything specific that might've triggered the problem.
post #724 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipoteat View Post

Yeah, that's bad. I haven't checked my hours, but I probably have around 150 to 200 but I have never seen anything like that. That would drive me crazy.

What are your inputs (HDMI, Component, S-Video)? Do you see it from cable/dish? I have inputs from Dish Network, PS3, Xbox360 - all hdmi and have never seen anything like that. What are your settings? Have you got it set with a really high contrast/brightness or anything like that? I'm just trying to see if it might be a global issue (not just a defective panel) and if there is anything specific that might've triggered the problem.

i know that another user is having issues with seeing white circles placed evenly throughout the panel. i have this issue as well, although the circles are very faint and can barely see it.

the shadow issue is seen across all inputs, comcast cable box via hdmi, ps3 via hdmi, and pc via dvi to hdmi. i do not have it at high contrast, its set at cinema mode with brightness at 59.

i'm calling panasonic now, hopefully they will give a replacement but thats doubtful..
post #725 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM

Repair fella was just out. Panasonic had sent them a few boards to try as a fix.

He went through some of Panasonic's troubleshooting procedure but said it was either wrong or outdated regarding shut off switches. He got on the phone with Panasonic support with someone he said "had no clue". They told him the procedure they had for this model being so new was based on a pre-production model and changes could have been made.

He decided to try the boards. First put a new SC board in, no picture still, then a new SU board. Now there is a picture but a thin black line running horizontally across the panel and a thick (2-3 inches wide) black bar with a small bit of noise up top running vertically on the right side of the panel. Left the new SU board in, put the original SC back.

So I have that crap picture until they contact Panasonic and either order a new panel or figure something else out. He also said its possible the panel wrecks that new SU board but they ok'd leaving it in this state.

Ridiculous. To say I am pissed would be quite the understatement right now. Love the picture quality on this thing but based on my experience could not and would not recommend it to anyone at this point. I'm holding back on the raising holy hell antics until I hear how long and what will be done to remedy, but really want to get on the phone and destroy.
post #726 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM

Hey, I am really glad I opted for the extended warranty on this puppy (via the rebate). Its only about 4 weeks old and seems fine so far, but the rate of failure in comparison to how many owners are on this forum is staggering. Hopefully I will never need it!
post #727 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillymoo View Post

Hey, I am really glad I opted for the extended warranty on this puppy (via the rebate). Its only about 4 weeks old and seems fine so far, but the rate of failure in comparison to how many owners are on this forum is staggering. Hopefully I will never need it!

I think if you look at the other threads, it is unusual for any sets to not have a large percentage of problems posted on here. Lots of people wouldn't even come on here if they never saw any problems, which is why it always SEEMS like more people are having problems than not.

Previously, I had a much more expensive Pioneer set that started having problems just out of warranty. I found a thread on here with lots of people having the same problem, but nobody would join up just to say "I'm not having that problem". Sux for me (especially being out of warranty), but in all probability a large percentage of that model are probably still working fine.

I wouldn't take a few problems posted on a forum as any kind of indication of the overall quality of Panasonic or this particular set.

BTW, simianfever - I hope this gets resolved for you. How they handle this will say more about Panasonic than the problems you are seeing, IMO.
post #728 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGimp View Post

Best Buy has the TC-P54S1 in at least some warehouses now. I ordered one with delivery to me Sunday. Good prices are possible even there with some negotiation and a coupon. I have a lightmeter that has been pretty accurate relative to pro reviews on both a XV-Z12000 MK II and a 42PZ80U. I'll post some contrast measurements after my five day break-in.

This is the set I am leaning towards, too. Anxiously awaiting your results.

XBOX Live GT: LOTION in BULK
post #729 of 7897 Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it's anything like the 50", you'll be happy.
post #730 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM

Quick question... (i've read pages 1-17 but don't have time to finish the thread right now so hopefully it wasn't answered)... --- I bought this TV online (50s1), just waiting for it to be shipped.

I am going to be hooking up my xbox with HDMI. It is my understanding that games render in 720p. (I think rock band 2 is the only native 1080p game I have according to the back of the boxes)

So my question is this... if I am playing 720p games... should I lock in the output setting my xbox to 720p (ie: letting the TV do the legwork on the display side?) Or should I set my xbox to 1080p [(ven though the games are natively 720p... i'm not exactly sure how the up-converting works, how the image is processed, etc.)?

Which will look better and perform? Between the two options, will using one over the other introduce more of a delay in keypresses/lag/timing?

Thank you for your help, I can't wait to get this TV!
post #731 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacy View Post

Quick question... (i've read pages 1-17 but don't have time to finish the thread right now so hopefully it wasn't answered)... --- I bought this TV online (50s1), just waiting for it to be shipped.

I am going to be hooking up my xbox with HDMI. It is my understanding that games render in 720p. (I think rock band 2 is the only native 1080p game I have according to the back of the boxes)

So my question is this... if I am playing 720p games... should I lock in the output setting my xbox to 720p (ie: letting the TV do the legwork on the display side?) Or should I set my xbox to 1080p [(ven though the games are natively 720p... i'm not exactly sure how the up-converting works, how the image is processed, etc.)?

Which will look better and perform? Between the two options, will using one over the other introduce more of a delay in keypresses/lag/timing?

The set will take whatever source material is fed to it and upscale it to 1080p. The question is, does the set have a better scaler, or the attached component? I've read that HDTV manufacturers tend to cut corners on scalers, and that the xbox 360's scaler is excellent, so I feed 1080p from my 360 to the set with excellent results. I've experienced no lag, and a great picture.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #732 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Good to know... I will try both of course but thought I would get some input before I dig in. My only thought was that the xbox would have to "work harder" / use more processing power, possibly causing slowdown, if it had to upscale itself. I've noticed on other peoples TV's that the HD tends to "run slower" than 480p I currently have running on my EDTV (most notably: Burnout). Of course, 480 to 720 is a big jump, and I'm thinking they most likely have it set to 1080 anyways... but I wasn't sure if it would make a difference performance-wise between 720 and 1080.

post #733 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Not sure where you got the info that the 360 has a good scaler. I've heard the exact opposite, especially for DVD playback.

In any case, I set my 360 to 1080p hoping it causes less input lag than the TV scaler might.
post #734 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 10:05 AM

I have a similar question. I have a scientific atlanta HD DVR box which allows me to choose which resolutions the box will output. I just got the S1 and am wondering what I should do settings wise. Do I want the box to output both 720p and 1080i or just 1080i? If I have it set at 1080i will the channels broadcast in 720p sill come in progressive scan or only at 720i?
The reason I ask is because with both 1080i and 720p selected, the screen gets all crappy for a second every time the channel switches between 720p and 1080i broadcasting. Its annoying.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
post #735 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
1080i looks better
post #736 of 7897 Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Liked: 11
When the preview screen comes up on Blu-Ray (green with white letters), I can see the bars go across the screen from the white letters. This is the ONLY time I see them though. Did you call Panasonic Aohus? What did they say? Wondering if I should get this one replaced? Anyone but me and Aohus also experience this?

Other than this minor flaw, I love this TV, the blacks are great, colors pop and motion blur is non-existent.
post #737 of 7897 Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacy View Post

Use 1080p

You want to play games with no overscan. Just Scan is only available with 1080p/1080i

You don't want to use 1080i b/c games are rendered in progressive scan. Setting it to 1080i would force the console to interlace and upscale a frame, only to have your TV deinterlace it.
post #738 of 7897 Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telexen View Post

Not sure where you got the info that the 360 has a good scaler. I've heard the exact opposite, especially for DVD playback.

In any case, I set my 360 to 1080p hoping it causes less input lag than the TV scaler might.

Its been discussed often on ign and gamestop forums.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=25385743

The 360's scaler is widely considered very good. The disk drive on the other hand...

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #739 of 7897 Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Can anybody please provide dimensions of the box for the 50S1? I have a Durango SUV and am wondering if the box is too tall to fit inside it.

post #740 of 7897 Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM

52.5" long x 34" tall x 11.25" deep

Make sure you keep it standing up. You don't want the glass to bend/break.
post #741 of 7897 Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telexen View Post

52.5" long x 34" tall x 11.25" deep

Make sure you keep it standing up. You don't want the glass to bend/break.

Thanks Telexen!

post #742 of 7897 Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

To make a long story short, I had some gift cards and BB has a great sale price this week. I bought a 50S1 today.

Had to transport it flat for 15 minutes since the inside of my mom's Durango wasn't tall enough to stand the box up. Screen was fine when I got home.

Got it all setup and W O W! Love this thing straight out of the box. To think, when I first started shopping this past September I went from 46'' lcd, to 52'' lcd, to 55'' lcd and then to plasmas. I had no desire for a plasma but after reading the forum and the advantages plasma have, I got one.

Pictures to follow this evening from my iPhone. They won't be the greatest, but, pictures are pictures, right?

Oh, I went from a 32'' Westinghouse LCD to this. Talk about size overload!

post #743 of 7897 Old 05-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Here are some photos. Remember, these are with an iPhone so that is why they are crappy. Please do NOT judge the plasma's picture off of these photos. Let me know if there is something else you need a shot of.

post #744 of 7897 Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Picture quality looks amazing 95..I will also await for the results of FlyingGimp [IMG]http://***************/9/F/i.jpg[/IMG]
post #745 of 7897 Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 PM

I ordered the 42S1 last Thursday, should be arriving this week. I went to Best Buy to have a look this past weekend and I was disappointed. The picture looked cloudy looking compared to the LCD's, I am wondering if the TV they had on display was defective. I know the store is not the best setting for an plasma and the settings were probably screwed up but now I am worried. I tried changing the settings but I didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with it. I hope I am surprised when it arrives and not disappointed again. I will follow up with pics when I get it.
post #746 of 7897 Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM

I just want to go on record that this Panasonic "Concierge" service is a racket. It is impossible to get any reliable information from them, they keep referring to a field service representative who needs to make any decisions but you are not allowed to contact them directly.

Ridiculous.

"john" at Panasonic's live chat must hate me by now.
post #747 of 7897 Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku1327 View Post

I have a similar question. I have a scientific atlanta HD DVR box which allows me to choose which resolutions the box will output. I just got the S1 and am wondering what I should do settings wise. Do I want the box to output both 720p and 1080i or just 1080i? If I have it set at 1080i will the channels broadcast in 720p sill come in progressive scan or only at 720i? The reason I ask is because with both 1080i and 720p selected, the screen gets all crappy for a second every time the channel switches between 720p and 1080i broadcasting. Its annoying. Any suggestions?

If you set your DVR to output just 1080i it will scale the 720p channels to 1080i. On my older 768p and 1080p Plasmas, all the 1080i and 720p HD channels look crisper and more detailed when i set my DVRs to output everything at 1080i Fixed. The 720p Fixed setting makes those channel look soft by comparison. Try both settings and see which you prefer.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #748 of 7897 Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Hi guys.

Just bought a tc-p50s1 and will get it on Saturday. I had a question on the digital audio out. I was looking at the manual online and it seems to say that if you connect something via HDMI and then use the optical audio out, the sound coming through there will only be 2 Channel audio, but the manual is a little unclear. Can anybody confirm this?

Essentially I'm curious as to if I can connect my Uverse and 360 via HDMI to the TV, and then get 5.1 audio from the optical out to my receiver.

Thanks!
post #749 of 7897 Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdJohn View Post

Hi guys.

Just bought a tc-p50s1 and will get it on Saturday. I had a question on the digital audio out. I was looking at the manual online and it seems to say that if you connect something via HDMI and then use the optical audio out, the sound coming through there will only be 2 Channel audio, but the manual is a little unclear. Can anybody confirm this?

Essentially I'm curious as to if I can connect my Uverse and 360 via HDMI to the TV, and then get 5.1 audio from the optical out to my receiver.

Thanks!

Pretty sure most TVs only pass 2 channel audio.

Can't you connect Uverse box to your receiver?
post #750 of 7897 Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM

(sigh) That's what I was afraid of.

I can directly connect the uverse, however, the issue is my receiver is older and has no HDMI inputs and only one optical input (which I need for the Xbox). I don't think they even make an optical switch do they?

I think at some point I'll probably just have to get a new receiver, but I'll have to wait a while since I just bought the new TV.

If anyone has suggestions (outside of buying another piece of equipment), that would be great. Oh, my DVD player uses the coax input for audio, so that is unavailable.

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page