The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS1 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 263 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7861 of 7895 Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

My TC-54PS14 now has a thin green line(usually, but the color varies depending upon what's on the screen) running from top to bottom. It's located about an 1 1/2 inches from the left side of the screen. What is the warranty period on these sets. Mine is 14 months old. I bought mine at Sam's.

EDIT: Never mind, Sam's has agreed to take it back.

wow I've just got the same thing on my 65s1...and Im out of warranty. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 7895 Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Did an i1 calibration on my Panny TC-P58S1, which I think gives a better picture than the Spyder3 calibration I did a week ago. Better picture, better fleshtones, better CIE tracking and a better D65 greyscale.

Cinema, Warm
Contrast 80
Brightness 74
Color 36
Tint 0
Black Level "Light"

Service Menu (Cinema Warm):
R-Cut 82
G-Cut 80
B-Cut 7E
R-Drv E7
G-Drv DA
B-Drv C1

Flat greyscale from 20IRE to 100IRE ~D6500

Fleshtones look amazing, great black details, contrast, color and depth on HD sources (Cox Cable and Blu-Ray).

Rule here: stick with the i1 colorimeter, and ditch the Spyder3. I have both, so will not be using the Spyder3 anymore... maybe time to eBay it.

There may be some more work to do to try and alter tint/gamma, but it is the law of diminishing returns. I'll spend that time calibrating my Epson 8500 with a true CMS!

Cheers,
Doc Rings
post #7863 of 7895 Old 09-23-2011, 03:05 PM

I can't get HDCP to work with this TV (65S1).

Going direct from my PC (with either an AMD 4550 or NVidia GT440) to the TV with any of 2-3 different HDMI cables and the NVidia driver tells me the display doesn't support HDCP.

Going into my Denon AVR790 with HDMI then HDMI to the TV, the driver _does_ tell me I have HDCP. Unfortunately, it doesn't work - I think the screen blacks out between the Denon and the TV. I can watch e.g. live TV for 2 seconds, then I get a black screen.

I updated the firmware on the TV praying it would help, but to no avail.

Does anyone have HDCP working on this TV from a PC? I don't even think it works from a non-PC - when I try to view certain content (e.g. 1080p) from my DirecTV HD box, I also get a black screen.

It's frustrating to say the least.
post #7864 of 7895 Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 AM

To follow up on my own post, it was definitely a busted 65S1. HDCP did not work properly from multiple sources (including cable box). I got a new GT30 and it works perfectly, very happy with it.

How would I even go about getting something like that fixed (HDCP not working on HDMI input), anyone know?
post #7865 of 7895 Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings View Post

Sorry I don't have the stock values (hence offsets), as that piece of paper I originally logged them on is now gone after the international move.

You could look at the SD hex values if you haven't tweaked them yet, they should be the same as the default HD ones
post #7866 of 7895 Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Is anyone using the Boxee Box with the TC-P42S1? I have the latest f/w installed (1.2.0.20310). I recently reset to factory and reloaded the latest via the USB port (had an occasional issue with shutting down properly via the remote). In any case I want to better understand the Display Settings and how to properly choose/set them up.

Here are the options in question:
  • Resolution (options - NTSC, 480p, 1080P 24Hz and 1080P: 1080P selected)
  • Match Screen Refresh (enable/disabled: enabled)
  • HDMI Outputt (RGB Low, RGB High, YUV422 and YUV444: YUV444)
  • HDMI Pixel Depth (24bit, 30bit and 36bit: 36bit/I think this is redundant for the TC-P42S1 as I thought it's 24bit)
  • Enable EDID (enable/disabled: enabled)

Would appreciate any help/feedback on this.

Here's what I've been doing commonly with the Boxee Box:
  • Streaming Vudu (SD/HD/HDX)
  • YouTube/TED and other Videos
  • Accessing my NAS for Videos (rarely photos or music)
post #7867 of 7895 Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Hi everybody!

First, I want to say I'm new on this forum and I'm not retarded, I'm only french canadian! lol

I don't know if I should explain my problem on this thread or start another one.

Last year, I bought the TC-P54S1 as DEMO from a big shop, Best Buy. I also take 4 years warranty...

I also have a TH-42PZ85U. This one have maybe 3 years and work like a charm. 2-3 burned pixels but no other problem.

Now the problem with my 54S1... The pixels twinkles and the picture is grainy... it's not pretty

I no longer have the "wow effect" with my TV

But I dont have this problem with my PZ85... I still love my old Panny.

My first problem was to buy a demo probably...

But I have a performance warranty so... Should I return the TV ???

How can I look how many hours the TV has already?

Is it a normal problem or this type of Panny have all these problems???

thanks everyone!
post #7868 of 7895 Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM

just calibrated my tv after 4600+ hours for grins, thanks to docrings and everyone that made that real easy. i'll post my settings if anyone cares, but i just used what the guide said. thanks to all those that made that possible. new picture looks good, was very seriously thinking about relegating the 42s1 to the bedroom because i was unhappy with the picture quality but the calibration looks good so far so maybe i will try and ride it out.

side note, anyone know how to kill these things so geeksquad will replace it?
post #7869 of 7895 Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Quick question.. Should All-drv be the same in SD and HD by default? I'm noticing a difference of -10 in my HD setting.. I've used offsets before but im pretty sure none of them said to alter all-drv.

Also I'm trying to apply the firmware update but cannot find the pdf for instructions that's supposed to come with it. I dropped the bin and the sqsh file onto an sd card via my android phone and also tried dropping just the zip and popping it into the tv and it just says No Photos. I realize this thread is mostly dead/dying so I appreciate any help.
post #7870 of 7895 Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Has anyone found a fix for this? I feel that my TV does the same thing. Using an HDMI cable to connect my PC to the TV, going through a Denon 591 receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo Batman oO View Post

I don't know if there's a defect with my tv or if this is normal. my TV has a weird pattern to it. I don't know how to explain it it looks like a BUBBLE JET or DOT MATRIX pattern. Usually you can see it when you connect the tv to a PC, or on white or light screens. I have my computer connected via HDMI. I broke the tv in with the slides. I used offsets by droid. I can see this sitting 5 feet or more away from the screen. I can even see the screen flickering. Anyways this pattern is annoying because it's not part of the source. If i look close at the screen I see noise jumping all over the place, even on still images. Also I see a lot of dithering like the bit depth is not that great. As for sharpness, I wish it wash sharper, but I don't have any real objections in that dept since I use glasses and I can't see perfect.
Don't know if it's me because my old samsung apeture grill monitor I see it flicker at 60, and not at 85, but that's at 1 feet distance.

post #7871 of 7895 Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM

OMG i had no idea we watch that much tv... 4778hrs and 46mins .still a STUNNING STUNNING image.
(65" s1)
post #7872 of 7895 Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Hey Fellas,
First of all if this has already been addressed - forgive the redundancy. But all searches I did came up negative.

Second, this post is for anyone (like me) who owns an S1 series TV and also has an Oppo BDP-93 Blu Ray player hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI from the Oppo's HDMI 1 primary output.

Not long after I bought my BDP-93 - I became aware of a commonly known issue with Panasonic Plasma TV's in the S1 series.

The issue is that if you boot up the TV and the player and the TV has to switch to the input that your HDMI 1 output from the 93 is hooked to you get a red screen on the TV that can only be fixed by switching inputs on the TV and going back to the correct input. (this was only if you were going directly to your TV from the Oppo primary output 1 and not through a preamp or receiver)

This was apparently due to the fact that the Panasonics were booting up into "PC" mode rather than straight video mode. However, I've discovered that it may be a different reason. Read on!!

There was no fix on the Oppo or Panasonic side (or one that could be found) so those of us who had the issue just had to live with it.

Anyway, I think I have found a solution....

I was re-calibrating my TV using Disney's new WOW (World of Wonder) calibration disc. In the section that deals with overscanning. I learned that if the Panasonic TV's are set to "Size 1" in the "HD Size" setting of the "Advanced Picture" section, the TV is overscanning by about 5%. This was helpful if you could see SMPTE coding bars at the top of your screen on some broadcast channels.

However, I learned that if you chose to overscan - the picture was no longer transferring the source at a 1:1 pixel rate - it was, in fact, scaling the picture! And dropping the quality. (significantly)

So if you switch the "HD Size" to number "2" size/setting it turns off the scaling and you get a true 1:1 pixel transfer... and best of all: You no longer get the red screen requiring an input switch!

Anyway, I don't know if someone has already figured this out - but in case no one has I thought I'd pass this tip along for anyone else that is/was dealing with this issue.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

-Karl
post #7873 of 7895 Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

k-hud and others;

I have no idea if my 65" S1 is set to HD1 or 2, but should overscan be set to off for all inputs?

"So if you switch the "HD Size" to number "2" size/setting it turns off the scaling and you get a true 1:1 pixel transfer... and best of all: You no longer get the red screen requiring an input switch! "
post #7874 of 7895 Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM

If you want the best resolution then set the "HD Size" to 2. Otherwise it is scaling the picture.

However, on some standard def channels you may see the thin line of SMPTE coding at the top - if that bothers you then you can switch back to size 1. If it's a standard def channel or programming it's not going to make much difference on the picture quality.

The setting can be input independent.

-Karl
post #7875 of 7895 Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

My couple year old 50s1 has a fan that just last night went from near silent to loud.
Do I need to order a replacement fan from Panny, or can I buy one second hand online?
Which fan am I looking for?
TIA!
post #7876 of 7895 Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

My couple year old 50s1 has a fan that just last night went from near silent to loud.
Do I need to order a replacement fan from Panny, or can I buy one second hand online?
Which fan am I looking for?
TIA!

Not quite an answer to your question, but maybe it's dirty and can be cleaned.
post #7877 of 7895 Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Not quite an answer to your question, but maybe it's dirty and can be cleaned.

That is very possible, should I just remove the back panel screws and clean the fans?
post #7878 of 7895 Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Before taking the back off , try suctioning out all of the top vents. I do the every couple of months on my S1. There is some accumulation of dust that gets pulled out of the fans .
post #7879 of 7895 Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczarne View Post

Before taking the back off , try suctioning out all of the top vents. I do the every couple of months on my S1. There is some accumulation of dust that gets pulled out of the fans .

Two birds with one stone, I need a new vacuum cleaner and my current one doesn't have enough suction power to do the job.
I will go buy one today and see if it makes enough difference that I don't need to replace a fan.
post #7880 of 7895 Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-hud View Post

If you want the best resolution then set the "HD Size" to 2. Otherwise it is scaling the picture.

However, on some standard def channels you may see the thin line of SMPTE coding at the top - if that bothers you then you can switch back to size 1. If it's a standard def channel or programming it's not going to make much difference on the picture quality.

The setting can be input independent.

I did set it to HD Size 2. Cant really say if I am seeing any difference.

However, I n the advanced sttings I also noticed a slecetion to adjust the black level, and I switched that. HOLY COW are the blacks BLACK now! I just wonder if making that change changes the settings of my set, as I had it ISF calibrated.
post #7881 of 7895 Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

I just watched a movie via my Oppo and noticed that the image was bigger than the TV. I checked with my DirecTv HD DVR and its the same problem, the image is too big (The sides are being cut off).

I went to the advanced portion of the setup menu on the TV and I am unable to change the HD size, but I can change the H size. It is currently at H1 and if I change it to H2 it gets even bigger (more of the image is lost off the sides of the screen. When I scroll down th emenu it skips HD size and goes right from "Black Level" to "H Size".

Why am I not able to change the HD size? Someone please help....

EDIT

I figured it out 2 minutes after I posted; I had to select "format" in the middle of the remote. One of the kids mustve been pushing buttons because I used that to select the right picture mode/size and that corrected the larger image and put the right size on the screen and allowed me to select HD1 or HD2 for the size.

biggrin.gif
post #7882 of 7895 Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 PM

You beat me to the punch.. I was going to say make sure your aspect is set to "full" smile.gif

-Karl
post #7883 of 7895 Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
my 50s1 is just about two years old now with 4968 hours on it. my overall black levels look pretty grey - almost cheap lcd-like.

ive never screwed around with the service menu. are there some specific adjustments i can make in there to try improving my black level?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #7884 of 7895 Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

The S1, and just about every panel I've come across, will not pass 5.1 audio from HDMI through the optical out, only 2 ch PCM. However you will get 5.1 from OTA signals originating from the coax.

just ran into this.
cut the cord this week having an issue. OTA connected to TV via coax and optical out to my preamp. i get audio from preamp on the non HD channels but not the HD ones.. ??? is there a work around or am i SOL ?
post #7885 of 7895 Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should get Dolby Digital 5.1 "bitstreamed" from off the air reception through the coax to the tv and then out to the preamp through the optical. Where your preamp would decode it. The previous poster was refering to HDMI to the tv, not OTA through coax.
post #7886 of 7895 Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post

You should get Dolby Digital 5.1 "bitstreamed" from off the air reception through the coax to the tv and then out to the preamp through the optical. Where your preamp would decode it. The previous poster was refering to HDMI to the tv, not OTA through coax.

hmm perhaps its my dac then....
post #7887 of 7895 Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Hi all,

I've had my P50S1 for a number of years, recently moved to a 2nd location in the house due to an upgraded model in the main area. Comcast recently totally scrambled the signal requiring me to hookup a digital adapter box which features an HDMI connection back to the TV. The problem is a PINK screen through the box with the HDMI hooked up, which can be fixed by power cycling the box. Not a viable option to do that every time the TV is powered off and back on. I did switch HDMI ports on the back of the TV for troubleshooting and both did the same thing.

On coax, the pink screen is gone, but I don't seem to be getting a hi-def picture... I'm a bit tired today and wonder why pink screen on powerup under HDMI... any thoughts? When the pink screen occurs there isn't any sound as well... I'm leaning towards a bad box or cable...
post #7888 of 7895 Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 PM

The same thing happens occasionally with my over the air Tivo box routed through a Pioneer (new) receiver. It's getting a bad handshake due to different native resolutions especially if the last channel was NOT a hi-def channel.

The quickest fix I've found is to quickly (with TV remote or universal) switch to an empty HDMI input on the TV and then back to the correct one.

Good luck.

-Karl
post #7889 of 7895 Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, I tried that but it doesn't work in my situation. Very weird for sure, I even tried a new HDMI cable with no resolution. The only thing that works is power cycling the Comcast box... very frustrating to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-hud View Post

The same thing happens occasionally with my over the air Tivo box routed through a Pioneer (new) receiver. It's getting a bad handshake due to different native resolutions especially if the last channel was NOT a hi-def channel.

The quickest fix I've found is to quickly (with TV remote or universal) switch to an empty HDMI input on the TV and then back to the correct one.

Good luck.
post #7890 of 7895 Old 11-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh View Post

Thanks for the advice, I tried that but it doesn't work in my situation. Very weird for sure, I even tried a new HDMI cable with no resolution. The only thing that works is power cycling the Comcast box... very frustrating to say the least.
My vote would be to get a different digital adapter box from Comcast. Another troubleshooting step would be to temporarily hook up the cable box from your main room...I assume it's a digital HD cable box.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page