Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc6230sux View Post

Why cant I see any pictures attached to this thread? I just joined the forum today.

What is showing on your computer, like broken link icon?? Anyone can see those photos, it is just when you have to click on one of those links that takes you to the photos, you have to be sign on to look at them.

Could be a setting on your computer.

S1 looks like it going to give those LCD's a run for there money, can't wait for the v10's, can't wait for the 58" one's.

Those new photos are nice, even with it a little overexposed ( the little pause icon shows some blooming from the overexposer ) the blacks are real nice & has some nice show detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

if you can take any night time shots - in total darkness with no picture to see how the screen looks

I was just going to say the same thing...

marka04, can you do this for us -- take a picture of the screen showing all black/blank input with all the light turned off in the room.

I bet a lot of people here would like to see that.
post #63 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Although pictures are nice they are mostly meaningless. You are not going to truly be able to tell what the black level is by looking at pictures people took on their camera through your computers lcd screen. You're going to have to wait for reviews and measurements.
post #64 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The blacks in the night photos look terrible. I am sure it is most likely the photo technique. Why are you guys praising the black levels as they show in those pics?

And taking a pic of a black screen with no flash will be inaccurate if the shutter speed is not set manually. You can take a picture of an Elite and set a long shutter speed and have the blacks look horrible.

The OP needs assistance with setting up his camera for dark shots or he is wasting his appreciated time. Definitely set the flash to off and if you can, use a tripod or equiv. Then use your auto timer to shoot so you don’t have to press the shot button while the shot is actually being taken, causing movement blur. Then take a few different shots using different "exposure times". Even this is flawed, because you can set the timer too low and make Vizo blacks look like Elite blacks.

We appreciate your efforts and if you require assistance, just ask. There are plenty of people on this site to cover a full spectrum of technical issues and/or questions.

In the mean time, we can simply use your eyes. For example, When viewing black or dark scenes, Do you find the level of black to be extremely black and almost blend with the bezel or Good black in your mind but you can definitely see the contrast between the bezel and the screen?

Thanks again for the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Although pictures are nice they are mostly meaningless. You are not going to truly be able to tell what the black level is by looking at pictures people took on their camera through your computers lcd screen. You're going to have to wait for reviews and measurements.

Just read that. Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylonsix View Post

Those new photos are nice, even with it a little overexposed ( the little pause icon shows some blooming from the overexposed ) the blacks are real nice & has some nice show detail.

Just read this. Another good call. Use the pause icon to dial in the shot. Reduce aperture time just until the pause icon becomes sharp and loses the "glow". That should get you close.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #65 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
To my eyes, these shots look impressive. I'm planning on purchasing the 46 S1 whenever can get my hands on one and these shots aren't changing that plan.

Thanks Marka04!!
post #66 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylonsix View Post

What is showing on your computer, like broken link icon?? Anyone can see those photos, it is just when you have to click on one of those links that takes you to the photos, you have to be sign on to look at them.

Could be a setting on your computer.

S1 looks like it going to give those LCD's a run for there money, can't wait for the v10's, can't wait for the 58" one's.

Those new photos are nice, even with it a little overexposed ( the little pause icon shows some blooming from the overexposer ) the blacks are real nice & has some nice show detail.

Nothing, no links etc. The poster will say that "below are my pictures" and i see nothing. can you see any pictures of the S1 posted in this thread?
post #67 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
wouldnt make any sense to post a shot of a blank input. the lack of signal would cause the monitor to shut off. hence the infinite black panel. lol
post #68 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

wouldnt make any sense to post a shot of a blank input. the lack of signal would cause the monitor to shut off.

That crossed my mind, but I wasn't certain it would actually happen.
post #69 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I need someone else to get one of these to take the pressure off

The camera has been a challenge. If you think it will be helpful to take more pictures, I'll try a tripod and autotimer. How about other settings, I have a Nikon D40?

I'll try to get some more viewing time this week and report with my personal opinions, unfortunately I don't have much HD content right now. Again, I never had a plasma, so this is a step waaayyyy above my previous LCD.
post #70 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

well the shots do show some black levels marginally improved over my 9uk. marginally. im also seeing alof of noise in the dark areas. so i cant get a good feel for the blacks. i think its time i headed on over to worst buy and see one for myself. i know its not going to be tucked off in a dark room so i might just not go anyways. lol
post #71 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka04 View Post

The camera has been a challenge. If you think it will be helpful to take more pictures, I'll try a tripod and autotimer. How about other settings, I have a Nikon D40?

I'll try to get some more viewing time this week and report with my personal opinions, unfortunately I don't have much HD content right now. Again, I never had a plasma, so this is a step waaayyyy above my previous LCD.

heres a tip. most plasmas have a breaking point on brightness. a point at which when you turn down the brightness all the way and then turn it up one notch at a time. when you hit a point at where the blacks become lighter, or more luminant, back it down one and thats usually the best shadow detail you can get out of your set without diminishing the deepness of the black level. also try to see if your set has a gamma option. if it does, swap it over to 2.2. do that, if possible, before you change your brightness. then post some more dark knight pics, preferable with letterbox bars so we can compare video black on the disc to reference black by the set. there are alot of BR discs that dont run at reference black but i dont thinkTDK is one of them.
post #72 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Nothing, no links etc. The poster will say that "below are my pictures" and i see nothing. can you see any pictures of the S1 posted in this thread?

Odd you should at lease see a little box with a red X in the center.
I just been using my Ipod today, I can see them and I had no troubles 2 days ago on my PC + everyone else is not having troubles. Some setting on your computer is completly blocking the web site he is using to host the photos.

Try restarting your computer. If still no joy try resting your brouser.
post #73 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM

I considered buying a Panny and I've held off so long. I may have to get this one.

Just out of curiosity, does the S1 improve the red push issues from the 85u? I know it wasn't actually much of an issue, but that's the only issue where I had a second-thought about a Panasonic. It would be nice to know if I need to see it for myself, because I was seriously ready to buy the 85u and I have just been holding off for no real reason.

If it's improved I'm buying one ASAP.
post #74 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

im holding out for the eco. lol still nice to see where panny is heading with these new tech displays. doesent hurt to look.
post #75 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM

From a purely cosmetic standpoint...

am i crazy or is the black frame around the picture a good bit narrower than on the 2008 models?

i am wavering like heck between a cheaper 85u or the S1 - but one of the things i don't like about the 2008 panasonics is the width of the frame.
post #76 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Yes they are narrower.
post #77 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

well to me these Pictures look Awesome.

i'm pretty sure the 2009 Panasonics won't disappoint.
post #78 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM

thanks marka these pictures are amazing!! i am picking up an S1 as soon as they start shipping 2mmrw
post #79 of 7895 Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,
Be careful not to let "us" teach you how to find problems. You are happy with your set right now. Other than eventual tips and/or guidance for settings from Dnice and such, you may want to turn your back on us. LOL

Serioulsy

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #80 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Could anybody share some insight into what kinds of picture controls these new S1's have?

Wondering how tweakable these units are, if at all, in terms of greyscale. Trying to see if I can avoid paying more for the G10 since I don't care for any of the web features.

Do we think there will be a service mode to make more changes?
post #81 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

Could anybody share some insight into what kinds of picture controls these new S1's have?

Wondering how tweakable these units are, if at all, in terms of greyscale. Trying to see if I can avoid paying more for the G10 since I don't care for any of the web features.

I was wondering about a sevice mode myself because the controls look to be the same as the lesser models. Plus, the only diff is the THX over the S1.

post #82 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Wondering how tweakable these units are, if at all, in terms of greyscale. Trying to see if I can avoid paying more for the G10 since I don't care for any of the web features. Do we think there will be a service mode to make more changes?

D-Nice indicated that he was going to pick up an S1 and play with it so keep an eye out for possible posts from him about this.

Also, the G10 has been released in Europe and the specs show 6,144 Shades of Gradation but i'm wondering if the the S1 will have 4,096 like the X1 or 6,144 like the G10. So far there is no official mention of the S1's spec from Panasonic. If it's 4,096, the G10 might be the better choice.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #83 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka04 View Post

LOL...these guys are worse than the paparazzi. You have done more than enough with all these photo requests. Just enjoy your display and the vultures can do their own research. Thanks for sharing those photos.
post #84 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM

You can download a demo blu-ray with fantastic pictures to show off your new screen.
torrent to it on this page...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=969471&page=7

its 12 GB tho, so be patient
post #85 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Unless they've mdae big changes, there will be grayscale controls in the service menu.
post #86 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM

How can they get 6144 shades of gradation? It's either 12 bit or 13 bit and 2^13 is 8192. Weird. Anyway, all blu-ray movies are still 8 bit so only 256 shades of gradation (16 million colors). I don't think anything over 4096 shades of gradation would be noticable anyway thats over 68 billion colors (4096^3 since there's 3 primary colors). 32 bit color on the computer is just over 4 billion colors and there's no banding visible at that point.
post #87 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM

So the S1 can't do 24p? Is that right??
post #88 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I get the same thing, no pics at all in any of the posts.
post #89 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

The pictures were there oringinally, must be a forum issue.
post #90 of 7895 Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76 View Post

The pictures were there oringinally, must be a forum issue.

I just got an email from my ISP, I violated the AUP by going over the bandwidth limit and they removed the site
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page