Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So has anyone dared go into the service menu yet and run a callibration. I know most are awaiting Dnice's settings, but figured i would ask and see if anyone else has attempted to do so...I've done a search and couldn't find anything. If so, feel free to let me know..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai147 View Post

So has anyone dared go into the service menu yet and run a callibration. I know most are awaiting Dnice's settings, but figured i would ask and see if anyone else has attempted to do so...I've done a search and couldn't find anything. If so, feel free to let me know..

If you're into learning and doing things yourself, you can always pick up color-meter and do a calibration yourself. Great guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

post #4203 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 AM

I've had my 54G10 for a month now. Here are my observations:

1. TV is silent. I hear no noise whatsoever unless I go behind the TV and put my ear to it.

2. No dead pixels.

3. The picture is very, very good. 24p playback is useless so I stick w 60hz. Otherwise, it's a great picture. Blue ray and HD sources are stellar!

4. Black level and shadow detail are impressive. I know we all like to throw around numbers, but to my eyes the only TV I've actually seen that looks better is the Pioneer 111. Given that the 111 was a 50 inch (58 or 60 inch too big for my spot) and was more expensive than my G10, I have no regrets. Now, if the 111 had been available in a 54 inch and close in money, I would have gone with it (assuming none of the Pioneer buzzing issues). I will say that the whites are better on the Panny though, which may be an issue for some.

5. Settings. I've tried all of the ones suggested in the forums and have settled on this for all my TV use:

Custom mode
Contrast +85
Bright +50
Color +41
Tint -1
Sharp +70
Warm 2
All other settings off
3:2 on
60HZ on
HD size 2

6. Professional Calibration. Based on my one month of usage with this TV and reading on these forums, I am not going to do a professional calibration at this time. Instead, I will wait to se how D-Nice's settings look and go from there.

7. BD player. I tried a couple and went with the Panny BD60. I wanted the new Oppo but could not justify the money ($250 more) since I'm not an audiophile. The Panny produces a very nice picture, loads fast and does great upconversion. I upgraded my surround sound system and am very impressed with the sound output with BD material.

8. TV Speakers. I use them for regualr TV watching and have no complaints. BD and DVD watching = surround sound though.

9. Reflection issues. The screen does not work as well as the Pioneer or the new Sammys. However, since I'm coming from a projection TV, I am more than happy. Daytime viewing is fine even though the TV is in a big room with lots of windows. The extra brightness of this year's Pannys does help.

10. Purchase experience. I bought from Sears at a price that is still lower than anywhere I've seen, local or internet. The delivery was quick and easy and they set it up for free. I also got 3 year no interest financing. I typically make most of my purchases via the internet but with a plasma TV I liked buying local and having 30 days to exchange the set in case there were problems.

Thanks to all here who helped with their comments and information in deciding on this TV.
post #4204 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking1962 View Post

I've had my 54G10 for a month now. Here are my observations:

1. TV is silent. I hear no noise whatsoever unless I go behind the TV and put my ear to it.

2. No dead pixels.

3. The picture is very, very good. 24p playback is useless so I stick w 60hz. Otherwise, it's a great picture. Blue ray and HD sources are stellar!

4. Black level and shadow detail are impressive. I know we all like to throw around numbers, but to my eyes the only TV I've actually seen that looks better is the Pioneer 111. Given that the 111 was a 50 inch (58 or 60 inch too big for my spot) and was more expensive than my G10, I have no regrets. Now, if the 111 had been available in a 54 inch and close in money, I would have gone with it (assuming none of the Pioneer buzzing issues). I will say that the whites are better on the Panny though, which may be an issue for some.

5. Settings. I've tried all of the ones suggested in the forums and have settled on this for all my TV use:

Custom mode
Contrast +85
Bright +50
Color +41
Tint -1
Sharp +70
Warm 2
All other settings off
3:2 on
60HZ on
HD size 2

6. Professional Calibration. Based on my one month of usage with this TV and reading on these forums, I am not going to do a professional calibration at this time. Instead, I will wait to se how D-Nice's settings look and go from there.

7. BD player. I tried a couple and went with the Panny BD60. I wanted the new Oppo but could not justify the money ($250 more) since I'm not an audiophile. The Panny produces a very nice picture, loads fast and does great upconversion. I upgraded my surround sound system and am very impressed with the sound output with BD material.

8. TV Speakers. I use them for regualr TV watching and have no complaints. BD and DVD watching = surround sound though.

9. Reflection issues. The screen does not work as well as the Pioneer or the new Sammys. However, since I'm coming from a projection TV, I am more than happy. Daytime viewing is fine even though the TV is in a big room with lots of windows. The extra brightness of this year's Pannys does help.

10. Purchase experience. I bought from Sears at a price that is still lower than anywhere I've seen, local or internet. The delivery was quick and easy and they set it up for free. I also got 3 year no interest financing. I typically make most of my purchases via the internet but with a plasma TV I liked buying local and having 30 days to exchange the set in case there were problems.

Thanks to all here who helped with their comments and information in deciding on this TV.

Nice review.....glad to see you picked up the BD-60, nothing is coming close to this blu ray player in it's class. Amazon.com has been selling it for $200 and have been offering a rebate on certain Panny models if you buy the BD-60 with the TV(until July 11th). You did a great job on your research and getting the financing was a nice bonus.
post #4205 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking1962 View Post

I'm close to getting the same setup, (54G10 + BD60 from Amazon). My only hangup is the 24p capability and whether I will really miss the V10 a few years from now. Please explain your thoughts about 24p being "useless". It might help me pull the trigger and join the HDTV world!
post #4206 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I'm ready to buy the 54g10 from Amazon with the blu-ray player deal, but I have to wait for my CC to get credited from my return at Best Buy..... I hope that I get it before this deal ends.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #4207 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I'm ready to buy the 54g10 from Amazon with the blu-ray player deal, but I have to wait for my CC to get credited from my return at Best Buy..... I hope that I get it before this deal ends.

So you decided not to get the the 58 800U or the 50G10 from BB. The 54G10 is a great choice and really is a great in between size. And pretty much getting the BD-60 for free is just icing on the cake. I could not be happier with my purchase.
post #4208 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

So you decided not to get the the 58 800U or the 50G10 from BB. The 54G10 is a great choice and really is a great in between size. And pretty much getting the BD-60 for free is just icing on the cake. I could not be happier with my purchase.

Yeah, I'm just not comfortable getting last years tech and Best Buy is completely sold out of the g10 in my area, so this was my best choice. (and getting a second blu-ray player for free was nice) so now all I need is that credit to go through and I will place the order.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #4209 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

I'm close to getting the same setup, (54G10 + BD60 from Amazon). My only hangup is the 24p capability and whether I will really miss the V10 a few years from now. Please explain your thoughts about 24p being "useless". It might help me pull the trigger and join the HDTV world!

This is going to be a popular combo on these boards in the near future(54G10 and BD-60). If it's any help to you I have had my 54G10 for a few weeks now and it's been an excellent set. I am coming from a pioneer pro-111 and watching blurays with it's 72HZ feature. Watching blurays on the G10 at 60HZ looks fine to me. If I had them side by side there might be something noticeable with how smooth it handles and such. Some people notice judder at 60HZ I don't, it all looks smooth to me. At the price these can be had for and the BD-60, I would strongly consider it.

I had to return my 111 do to possible job loss and it absolutely sucked. They are truly wonderful sets that deserve all the praise they get around here. Mine was just about broken in also which made it harder to return. I did have some buzzing and noticed some Dirty screen effect, but the pros by far outweighed the cons. I had a budget of staying under 2 grand and the 54G10 seemed like the perfect fit. Plus if I couldn't have my kuro I thought jump in size would help ease the pain. To my surprise the G10 is not as good as the 111, but it's not to far away imho. The blacks and the color are superb on the 111 and excellent on the G10. I was concerned coming from the pio that I might be let down, but the G10 really puts up a good fight. The extra four inches are very nice for blurays and gaming. Enough of me blabbing. Good Luck with your decision.
post #4210 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskelsey View Post

What I find works the best is if someone wants to start a thread on a particular subject that will be used as a source of info and guidance for many people. They first get permission from the moderators to start such a thread and it is their responsibility to maintain that thread from then on. It could contain Official or something like that in the title also. If they could no longer maintain it, the responsibility could be passed to someone else. If a thread becomes such a place of important info and it has no one maintaining it, the Mod's could find someone to take that responsibility.The first post would contain relevant guides, FAQ's and background info with links and would be kept up to date regularly with changes. Or point to a Sticky with the needed info. With this kind of setup their are many fewer repeated posts on the same questions and misinformation is less likely. I know this is a lot of work for someone but that's why they should ask permission and understand the responsibility. The Mod's have their hands full and it's up to the user to really make things work well in a forum. That's just my 2 cents.

Here is an example of a well thought out owners thread. I have this receiver and this thread is invaluable. It takes someone with dedication to our TVs to do this though, but it would make the G10 owners thread much more user friendly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808

Justin
post #4211 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM

I have the 50G10 connected to a Pioneer 1019 AVR via HDMI. One thing I have noticed is that when I turn on or off the TV, it sends a power switch signal to the AVR. The problem is, when it sends the ON signal, it seems it does not send enough to actually kick the receiver ON (The power light comes on then a moment later kicks off). When turning off the TV, the OFF signal works fine. The volume also works. Overall, super neat that I did not have to program anything for that to work (guess it is a HDMI feature?)

The question, is there a way to resolve the ON power issue or is this normal?

Thanks.
post #4212 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfayre View Post

I have the 50G10 connected to a Pioneer 1019 AVR via HDMI. One thing I have noticed is that when I turn on or off the TV, it sends a power switch signal to the AVR. The problem is, when it sends the ON signal, it seems it does not send enough to actually kick the receiver ON (The power light comes on then a moment later kicks off). When turning off the TV, the OFF signal works fine. The volume also works. Overall, super neat that I did not have to program anything for that to work (guess it is a HDMI feature?)

The question, is there a way to resolve the ON power issue or is this normal?

Thanks.

I would suggest turning off the power-on link.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #4213 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm not sure how many people care about this, but it was something I really wanted to see when I was researching PDP's. I looked for hard numbers for quite a while, but for the most part, couldn't really find any and just had to go by anecdotal reports or one line blurbs from reviews (usually for foreign equivalent models that may or may not be the same). Anyways, I decided to try for some real measurements on a North American G10 and compared the methods (for accuracy) to an A650 LCD since it is a very heavily tested display line. I took about 15 pictures of each "Mode/Profile" that could potentially affect the lag (Game/PC/Standard/Etc). Basically, I just ran a timer on a laptop and cloned the output over HDMI. The lap top is running in its native 1366x768. I have no idea what the cloning is doing for output over the TV, seems to be placing it in a 1080p window as that's what the TV's "Info" bar says and it doesn't fill the screen. Several of the photos follow.

Please PM me any links to other's tests so I can add them.

You can read more about the testing procedure here and even try it yourself

1 Frame = ~16ms

G10 Game Profile

Avg lag ~1 frame. Very rare transitions that suggested it could be as high as 2 frames. The above is the only one I got.

G10 Standard Profile (This mode has some motion interpolation/processing)

I didn't see any significant difference from the Game profile. Same goes for Custom and THX, but it was too redundant to post their pictures.

To confirm relative accuracy and compare/contrast with other's finding, I've included my results for the Samsung A650 LCD:

A650 HDMI2-PC Mode (LCD):

Avg. lag ~1 Frame, more frequent transitions that suggested as high as 2. This could just be a function of the LCD's PRT, not necessarily processing lag, I dunno.

A650 Movie Mode (AMP and all Enhancers OFF):

Avg. lag ~4. Several transitions suggesting it could be as high as 5.

A650 Game Mode:

Avg. lag ~2-3 frames.
post #4214 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Hi everyone, I have had the G10 for a week now, and I'm delighted with the tv, however I was wondering if there is a way to connect my PC to the G10 other than with the VGA 15-pin connection...the reason I ask is because I would like to get a little more sharpness for my PC connection, any advice or info will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
post #4215 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Still no credit, so I probably won't be getting this deal. (and I wouldn't get the set for 2 weeks anyway due to the crappy shippers in this area)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #4216 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Does anyone have a good setting on the HDMI input for the BD-60? Meaning in Custom mode what settings are the best for this player with this TV? I have the BD-60 set to 24P on but if anyone has a good starting point, I would appreciate it.

I love this TV. This site helped my decision. Thanks to all.
post #4217 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 PM

I was going to sping for a 50" G10 and either a BD60 Blu-Ray or a LG 390, both highly rated. Just in time I realized that, with my older Pioneer Elite Amp, which is still great, I don't have HDMI inputs and would not be able to get either 5.1 or 7.1 with either one. The only one that seems to make sense is a BD55, which has a 5.1 and 7.1 analog output. I am passing this on for anyone who might otherwise make the mistake I was about to make.
What is not clear as I read about the BD55 is what audio cable I would use. Will a single optical cable do it? Since I will not be able to route the HDMI video through the receiver, will I just hook run a HDMI from the Dish HDTV DVR, from the BD55 and from my Samsung DVR? (Also, of course, running an optical cable from each of them to my Receiver.)
Will this cause me problems on Lip sync? I am a lip watcher, rather than an eye watcher, and lip sync problems drive me up the wall.
Thanks.
post #4218 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM

I will be using an SD card for the break-in, but what slideshow settings do you use? I assume there is a way to leave each image on for a certain period of time. Are the default settings alright, which leaves each image on for around eight seconds?

Also, I couldn't find the maximum break-in time per day. Can you leave it running all day, or should you do 6-8 hours and then give the TV a break?

I have to admit, my will is weak and I may spend a half hour here and there just checking out actual video in between break-in sessions. What picture settings should I change it to for this? (I am currently using D-Nice's general 12G settings.)
post #4219 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenj07087 View Post

Hi everyone, I have had the G10 for a week now, and I'm delighted with the tv, however I was wondering if there is a way to connect my PC to the G10 other than with the VGA 15-pin connection...the reason I ask is because I would like to get a little more sharpness for my PC connection, any advice or info will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It's better to use HDMI or DVI from your PC to the G10 - it will look a lot better and you can use the full resolution of the TV. If your PC's video card doesn't have either of these outputs then i think your only option would be to get a card that does. If there's another way i'm not hip to it

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4220 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malehigh46 View Post

I was going to sping for a 50" G10 and either a BD60 Blu-Ray or a LG 390, both highly rated. Just in time I realized that, with my older Pioneer Elite Amp, which is still great, I don't have HDMI inputs and would not be able to get either 5.1 or 7.1 with either one. The only one that seems to make sense is a BD55, which has a 5.1 and 7.1 analog output. I am passing this on for anyone who might otherwise make the mistake I was about to make.
What is not clear as I read about the BD55 is what audio cable I would use. Will a single optical cable do it? Since I will not be able to route the HDMI video through the receiver, will I just hook run a HDMI from the Dish HDTV DVR, from the BD55 and from my Samsung DVR? (Also, of course, running an optical cable from each of them to my Receiver.)
Will this cause me problems on Lip sync? I am a lip watcher, rather than an eye watcher, and lip sync problems drive me up the wall.
Thanks.

Randy or some otheer ace, please help me on this- - - - -
post #4221 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

I would suggest turning off the power-on link.

Oddly enough, it was already off. Turning ON the feature however, solved the problem and now the receiver kicks right up. Thanks for the tip. Now if I could only get it to turn on the PS3 that is connected to the receiver; now that would be super.
post #4222 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Liked: 14
started my break-in slide show on sunday at 3 pm, so i am now past the 120 hours...woohoo...

in between i watched a few minutes of programing...cable tv...dvd...tapes...all obviously looked better than with my old panasonic rear projector

right now i am watching -battleground: the art of war- and the picture looks very sharp and clean, and natural colors...the 54g looks better than when i first got it...or maybe it is all in my head....................nah

even my wife who usually couldn't care less is amazed
post #4223 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa View Post

started my break-in slide show on sunday at 3 pm, so i am now past the 120 hours...woohoo...

in between i watched a few minutes of programing...cable tv...dvd...tapes...all obviously looked better than with my old panasonic rear projector

right now i am watching -battleground: the art of war- and the picture looks very sharp and clean, and natural colors...the 54g looks better than when i first got it...or maybe it is all in my head....................nah

even my wife who usually couldn't care less is amazed

Did you run the break-in slides for 5 days straight? With no breaks? If so, was the TV getting pretty hot?
post #4224 of 9993 Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malehigh46 View Post

Randy or some otheer ace, please help me on this- - - - -

What model receiver do you have? If it has multi-channel analog inputs, the LG 390, Samsung 3600 and the Panny BD80 all have multi-channel analog outputs. Any one of the three would do the job -- that is, if your receiver has the inputs. Then all you would need is 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1) RCA cables (you could use a combination of RCA audio cables and/or component video cables from monoprice.com).

Samsung PN59D7000 | Uverse VIP2250 | Samsung BDD5500 | Apple TV 2
post #4225 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 04:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrainGBR83 View Post

Did you run the break-in slides for 5 days straight? With no breaks? If so, was the TV getting pretty hot?

yeah...that's right, over 5 days straight

the tv room got slightly warm...the 54g should help out as a space heater in the winter...lol...i can feel the warmth from the screen from a foot away...the fans are quiet though...wonder what my electric bill will be...
post #4226 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa View Post

...wonder what my electric bill will be...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s#post16516571
post #4227 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

I mentioned that I found 24p to be useless on the 54G10.

To clarify, I said that because it introduces flicker, especially in bright scenes. I know some have not noticed it or found it less bothersome, but I noticed it a lot. I tried different combinations of settings suggested in the forums, but still liked the 60hz picture better than 24p. The V series is out there for those who want 24p and no flicker.
post #4228 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 AM

I have been lurking on this thread for a month, but just ordered the 54G10 from big river for a good price. Also ordered a new av receiver (Onkyo sr706) so I can be all HDMI.

Thanks for all the good info hear that helped me make my decision.

Happy 4th everyone.
post #4229 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but was the IFC option removed entirely from the US panels? I've been searching around and have yet to find an answer. I just got my TC-P46G10 a couple days ago and absolutely love it so far, but I wanted to try out IFC on some 30fps slow paced games that wouldn't be hurt by lag too much and can't find the option.
post #4230 of 9993 Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Does this model tv handle image retention better than most or the same?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page