Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario33 View Post

Still confuses me why Panasonic would release the G10 w/ inferior 24p capability (same as last year).

The Best Buy near me finally put up a G10 and since it was hooked to a Blu-Ray player I tried turning on the 48hz mode. It was literally like staring into a strobe light. I honestly couldn't even stand to look at it for more then a few seconds at a time. I, too, would really like to know why they even bothered carrying over such a broken feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Can anyone who's seen a G10, verify if they have fans or not. I have a PZ80 now and though quiet, the fans are audible (I have a very quiet house). If they do I may hold out for the mythical US G15 as it's hard to imagine fans on a 2" thick screen.
post #633 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelae View Post

The Best Buy near me finally put up a G10 and since it was hooked to a Blu-Ray player I tried turning on the 48hz mode. It was literally like staring into a strobe light. I honestly couldn't even stand to look at it for more then a few seconds at a time. I, too, would really like to know why they even bothered carrying over such a broken feature.

At least your BB hooks up TV's to BD players.

The BB near me has the 50" on the wall, out of reach, with no remote, and its running a crap 1080i signal over component.

YUCK.

It is really a shame about the 24p thing. Shoulda done 72 or 96.

- Matt
Panny 42" G10
Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60Gb
Axiom M3 v2
post #634 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anybody seen Samsungs new 09' Plasmas in person yet? They're the new 6 and 8 Series. I dont know if the new PN**B650 and PN**B850 hit stores yet though. And what's really cool, is that they came up with an upgraded version of the 550 from last year, now called the B550. Now, that display offered fantastic color after calibration, yet its blacks werent up to snuff with Panny's. But now that the upgraded version is out, i'm guessing it will have deeper blacks, brighter image and now has 600hz. I'm really curious how the B550 will stack up against the S1/G10...better yet, the B650 and B850....It's too bad that they dont have any of these displays at 42".... Damint Samsung, there's a thing that people want called 'variety'
post #635 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull View Post

Viera Cast!

It's worth noting that Vieracast, among a few other things, offers downloads from Amazon and so does standalone Tivo. Plus Tivo just made a deal with netflix too so you get both. Although I haven't seen the netflix catalog they offer online.
post #636 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroskill View Post

I just checked out some videos on youtube regarding the phosphor trails on some plasmas. I did the same test on my G10 and you really have to look for it but it is still there. However, it's nowhere near as bad as some of the videos I saw. For example, while looking at a dark post against a lighter background, when I move left and right I can see a slight yellowish glow along the edge of the post. Hard to explain but it's pretty much gone by the time you notice that you even saw it. You really have to look for it to see it, unlike the trails I saw on youtube.

I never checked for this before on my 75U but I did a lot of gaming on it and never saw anything I didn't like so it must not have been that bad either.

thank you, thank you
post #637 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Has anybody seen Samsungs new 09' Plasmas in person yet? They're the new 6 and 8 Series. I dont know if the new PN**B650 and PN**B850 hit stores yet though. And what's really cool, is that they came up with an upgraded version of the 550 from last year, now called the B550. Now, that display offered fantastic color after calibration, yet its blacks werent up to snuff with Panny's. But now that the upgraded version is out, i'm guessing it will have deeper blacks, brighter image and now has 600hz. I'm really curious how the B550 will stack up against the S1/G10...better yet, the B650 and B850....It's too bad that they dont have any of these displays at 42".... Damint Samsung, there's a thing that people want called 'variety'

Good move to delete the retail link, just remember that this isn't the Sammy thread...
post #638 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

Good move to delete the retail link, just remember that this isn't the Sammy thread...

I know, but i was just wondering if anybody has seen an S1 and maybe a B550 side by side. I dont want to talk strictly samsung, just want to know if anybody had the chance to compare.
post #639 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

The Kuros do not "turn off" during fade-to-black scenes. They will, however, turn off after a period of 30 seconds. LED LCDs turn off immediately whenever there's nothing on the screen, which is somewhat different in my opinion as I own both a Kuro and a Samsung 81F LED LCD. But you're right in the sense that it doesn't really impact picture quality except for its ability to mask out uniformity issues that you would otherwise notice during fade-to-black.

I'm assuming the Panasonics are doing the same thing, but I just wanted to clarify that my 151 doesn't do this.

Do the Panasonic plasmas turn off immediately? I've seen a Samsung LCD (non LED) turn off the backlight pretty quickly when getting a full black signal.
post #640 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM

anybody got a take on the S1/G10 (I'm regarding them as the same for now, pending a solid comparison that excludes vieracast-like features, which I will not use) versus pioneer 5020fd? the 5020 properly handles 24p, no?
post #641 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

TC-P46G10 Just hit.........

I'm in the market for a 46 inch, as a 50 is simply too physically large to fit in my space. My toss-up is between the G10 and the 850u (can't go with the V series since they aren't making it in 46inch). Since you've got both the G10 and 850u's in stock in both 50 and 46 inch, can you comment anymore on the comparison in picture quality. Some folks stated above it was a bad comparison because the 850 was a top-of-the-line model. But that's idiotic... it's a perfect comparison since the street price on last year's top-of-the-line is equal to (if not several hundred less) than the new middle-of-the-road G10.
post #642 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I just got my 50G10 home about three hours ago. (replacing a 50PZ85U) Although it will be running the break-in sequence for several days before I start actually using it, here are some initial impressions:

-There is some slight buzzing but ONLY during a few of the solid gray slides. The PZ85U made this noise on every one and sounded absolutely nuclear by comparison.

-There are at least two fans in the back (I don't feel like moving it again right now to see if there are more as I finally got my sources hooked back up and got the panel back into place) and they're perfectly silent unless you poke your head to the back side of the television. There's a slight hint of warmth coming from them, but it's noticeably cooler than the 85U.

-Whereas Cinema seemed to be the only mode on the 85U where the picture wasn't visually noisy, every mode except Vivid seems to be usable on the G10.

-The panel is extremely uniform and doesn't have any of the manufacturing imperfections (not typically noticeable except for on the occasional solid color, mind you) of my 85U. I had a row of four quarter-sized lighter spots and a few "streaks" on the inner glass in the upper-right hand corner of the old panel. I've inspected the entire G10 from an inch away and nada, nothing, zero imperfections. It's perfect.

-The remote sucks. The silver on the navigation functions look cheap and it's ridiculous that the menu button was decreased to a third of the size and hidden away at the top. Also, the backlight is restricted to the volume and channel buttons. They could have at least had a light behind the now hidden and all too important Menu button. It's a bit obnoxious that they're touting these Viera features so heavily as many will never use them. Unless there's some kind of firmware update that I can't transfer via the SD card slot, an ethernet cord is never touching my television.

-Speaking of the SD card slot, it seems a bit cheaper than last years models. It doesn't click in and out as easily, but this is a minor quarrel. (hey, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet )

-The bezel is quite a bit smaller than the 85U and, in my opinion, it makes the screen size look a bit smaller. It doesn't seem to dominate the room the same way as the old set did. However, this could actually be a good thing for those who were considering a 46" because they feel that the 50" is "too large." It's a very understated, almost unassumingly humble design. Also, the circular base doesn't strike me as being as aggressive looking as the wedge design. Despite all this, it is prettier than it looks in pictures as it doesn't seem to bulge out around the glass as I expected. Also, the subtle fade from black to silver at the bottom was a nice touch and adds a bit of identity.

Now, a few major things.

I couldn't help myself. I submitted to temptation and watched a few minutes of television and a bit of The Dark Knight.

-48Hz is still worthless. DO NOT buy the TV based on this feature because it's UNUSABLE. There's simply no debating it... it was a bad decision all the way around to include this feature. However...

-I immediately noticed better panning fluidity while in 60 Hz mode. Now, I'm someone who wrote off the "600 Hz sub-field" as marketing nonsense just like when they were touting the 480 Hz spec, but I, for one, noticed it. Also, I don't know whether to attribute it to this phenomenon or to a possibly functional noise reduction function, (comes defaulted to "low") but the 1080i signal broadcasted by my local NBC affiliate was devoid of the blocks of pixelation caused by motion that was present on the 85U.

-At first glance THX mode... is much better than expected. I'll agree with the slight "antique" look that Chad cited, but it was immediately quelled when I changed the temperature from the default "Warm 2" to "Warm 1." Everything looked very natural, more so than any tweaking I've seen with the 85U, but it did lack the same punch found with the latter set post-Cinema calibration. However, it can possibly be calibrated to look much better, custom mode does look to be VERY promising on this set, and I was surprised at how much more acceptable the Game mode looked after only turning off Color Management. I may actually use it for... well, games!

-The blacks are noticeably deeper, but don't expect them to match the bezel. (yes, even on an all black screen) I instantaneously noticed a difference in the letterbox bars on TDK and the night shots in Hong Kong look very deep and detailed. Again, I have done no real tweaking of this set yet, so this could improve, but it's a top performer in this area out of the box.

Now, two reasons that I find very critical in getting the G10 over the S1 AND the 85U

-You can achieve a natural looking green on this set, but I'm unsure if this is restricted to THX mode.. I played with an S1 that was on display next to a Sammy plasma from last year and the latter set was much less neon. This looked closer to the Sammy. In other words, you get great Sammy colors with deeper blacks and an added sense of reliability.

-THE RED PUSH IS FINALLY FRIGGIN' GONE!!! Praise be to the fine folks at Panasonic! In the same S1-Sammy comparison (I want to say it was a 650, but it may have been the lower-end unit) faces were noticeably more "sunburned" even after kicking the S1 into cinema and lowering the color significantly. The 85U didn't do this as dramatically post-calibration, but it was still very noticeable on a few HD programs and movies and SD content was often off the charts. Also, while looking punchy the 85U could sometimes make facial features seem a bit clay-like and lacking in fine features. (see: LCD displays) The G10 exhibits NONE of these problems on ANY (besides the useless Vivid mode) of the presets, even after cranking up the colors a bit. I don't know about everyone here, but to me this poor decoding is a deal-breaker and the S1 has it. I'm positive that after some tweaking this set will look plenty punchy AND have no random actors looking like they've stepped straight off of a Mexican beach onto the set. While I haven't looked through any color filters at either set yet, it's easy to see that the G10 can be dialed in MUCH better than either the 85U or the S1 and is, in my opinion, easily the better investment.

In summation: Great blacks, (but still no KURO from my experience) acceptable THX performance out of the box, accurate green primary (at least for THX), useless 48Hz mode, and, most important of all, NO RED PUSH.

It's a winner. Plain and simple.

Edit: I was tempted again and turned to Dancing With the Stars. This program was absolutely unwatchable as it pushed reds so hard on the 85U and I was convinced that it was just broadcasted poorly. I was wrong. While the picture quality is actually pretty great it's still unwatchable... because the show is awful. :P
post #643 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Great user review! Thanks!
post #644 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So there's No Red Push or Neon Green in THX Mode for the G10?...Try it out in Custome, and see if there is.
Anyways as for Neon Greens, my brother has them on his Samsung CRT SDTV, not to mention Neon Blues and i for one cant stand it...i could deal with the red push maybe on the G10..but the neon green, ugh.
post #645 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

I just got my 50G10 home about three hours ago. (replacing a 50PZ85U) Although it will be running the break-in sequence for several days before I start actually using it, here are some initial impressions:

-There is some slight buzzing but ONLY during a few of the solid gray slides. The PZ85U made this noise on every one and sounded absolutely nuclear by comparison.

-There are at least two fans in the back (I don't feel like moving it again right now to see if there are more as I finally got my sources hooked back up and got the panel back into place) and they're perfectly silent unless you poke your head to the back side of the television. There's a slight hint of warmth coming from them, but it's noticeably cooler than the 85U.

-Whereas Cinema seemed to be the only mode on the 85U where the picture wasn't visually noisy, every mode except Vivid seems to be usable on the G10.

-The panel is extremely uniform and doesn't have any of the manufacturing imperfections (not typically noticeable except for on the occasional solid color, mind you) of my 85U. I had a row of four quarter-sized lighter spots and a few "streaks" on the inner glass in the upper-right hand corner of the old panel. I've inspected the entire G10 from an inch away and nada, nothing, zero imperfections. It's perfect.

-The remote sucks. The silver on the navigation functions look cheap and it's ridiculous that the menu button was decreased to a third of the size and hidden away at the top. Also, the backlight is restricted to the volume and channel buttons. They could have at least had a light behind the now hidden and all too important Menu button. It's a bit obnoxious that they're touting these Viera features so heavily as many will never use them. Unless there's some kind of firmware update that I can't transfer via the SD card slot, an ethernet cord is never touching my television.

-Speaking of the SD card slot, it seems a bit cheaper than last years models. It doesn't click in and out as easily, but this is a minor quarrel. (hey, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet )

-The bezel is quite a bit smaller than the 85U and, in my opinion, it makes the screen size look a bit smaller. It doesn't seem to dominate the room the same way as the old set did. However, this could actually be a good thing for those who were considering a 46" because they feel that the 50" is "too large." It's a very understated, almost unassumingly humble design. Also, the circular base doesn't strike me as being as aggressive looking as the wedge design. Despite all this, it is prettier than it looks in pictures as it doesn't seem to bulge out around the glass as I expected. Also, the subtle fade from black to silver at the bottom was a nice touch and adds a bit of identity.

Now, a few major things.

I couldn't help myself. I submitted to temptation and watched a few minutes of television and a bit of The Dark Knight.

-48Hz is still worthless. DO NOT buy the TV based on this feature because it's UNUSABLE. There's simply no debating it... it was a bad decision all the way around to include this feature. However...

-I immediately noticed better panning fluidity while in 60 Hz mode. Now, I'm someone who wrote off the "600 Hz sub-field" as marketing nonsense just like when they were touting the 480 Hz spec, but I, for one, noticed it. Also, I don't know whether to attribute it to this phenomenon or to a possibly functional noise reduction function, (comes defaulted to "low") but the 1080i signal broadcasted by my local NBC affiliate was devoid of the blocks of pixelation caused by motion that was present on the 85U.

-At first glance THX mode... is much better than expected. I'll agree with the slight "antique" look that Chad cited, but it was immediately quelled when I changed the temperature from the default "Warm 2" to "Warm 1." Everything looked very natural, more so than any tweaking I've seen with the 85U, but it did lack the same punch found with the latter set post-Cinema calibration. However, it can possibly be calibrated to look much better, custom mode does look to be VERY promising on this set, and I was surprised at how much more acceptable the Game mode looked after only turning off Color Management. I may actually use it for... well, games!

-The blacks are noticeably deeper, but don't expect them to match the bezel. (yes, even on an all black screen) I instantaneously noticed a difference in the letterbox bars on TDK and the night shots in Hong Kong look very deep and detailed. Again, I have done no real tweaking of this set yet, so this could improve, but it's a top performer in this area out of the box.

Now, two reasons that I find very critical in getting the G10 over the S1 AND the 85U

-You can achieve a natural looking green on this set, but I'm unsure if this is restricted to THX mode.. I played with an S1 that was on display next to a Sammy plasma from last year and the latter set was much less neon. This looked closer to the Sammy. In other words, you get great Sammy colors with deeper blacks and an added sense of reliability.

-THE RED PUSH IS FINALLY FRIGGIN' GONE!!! Praise be to the fine folks at Panasonic! In the same S1-Sammy comparison (I want to say it was a 650, but it may have been the lower-end unit) faces were noticeably more "sunburned" even after kicking the S1 into cinema and lowering the color significantly. The 85U didn't do this as dramatically post-calibration, but it was still very noticeable on a few HD programs and movies and SD content was often off the charts. Also, while looking punchy the 85U could sometimes make facial features seem a bit clay-like and lacking in fine features. (see: LCD displays) The G10 exhibits NONE of these problems on ANY (besides the useless Vivid mode) of the presets, even after cranking up the colors a bit. I don't know about everyone here, but to me this poor decoding is a deal-breaker and the S1 has it. I'm positive that after some tweaking this set will look plenty punchy AND have no random actors looking like they've stepped straight off of a Mexican beach onto the set. While I haven't looked through any color filters at either set yet, it's easy to see that the G10 can be dialed in MUCH better than either the 85U or the S1 and is, in my opinion, easily the better investment.

In summation: Great blacks, (but still no KURO from my experience) acceptable THX performance out of the box, accurate green primary (at least for THX), useless 48Hz mode, and, most important of all, NO RED PUSH.

Edit: I was tempted again and turned to Dancing With the Stars. This program was absolutely unwatchable as it pushed reds so hard on the 85U and I was convinced that it was just broadcasted poorly. I was wrong. While the picture quality is actually pretty great it's still unwatchable... because the show is awful. :P

Why ... is an ethernet cord never touching your television?
post #646 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Great review, Curly. Very helpful.
post #647 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

She is nice.....
post #648 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM

My 42G10 will be at home tomorrow!!
post #649 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 PM

The color accuracy of the S1 series is not very good, definitely worse than it was on my previous 42PZ700U.

This likely can be fixed via SM tweaking though. I plan on using D-Nice's settings when he posts them.

Unless you're allergic to the SM I see no real compelling reason to get the G series.
post #650 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Very good review. I'd love to hear other people's comparisons of the S1 vs. the G10 for red push because that's been my number one issue with Panasonic displays in the past.
post #651 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroh View Post

Great user review! Thanks!

It's not a full review by any means. It's just some initial thoughts.

I also feel that, as someone who's lurked these forums for so long, I should give back whatever I can. I seen some looking for a direct comparison between the G1 and PZ85U and I just so happen to have both in my house at this very moment. After it's broken in for a sufficient amount of time I'm planning on doing some tweaking and then coming back to post something a little more detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown435 View Post

Why ... is an ethernet cord never touching your television?

I just find the whole Viera Cast thing a little hokey. There's already so many options for streaming files to a television. PlayOn streaming via my PS3 is already so much more versatile.

Quote:

So there's No Red Push or Neon Green in THX Mode for the G10?...Try it out in Custome, and see if there is.
Anyways as for Neon Greens, my brother has them on his Samsung CRT SDTV, not to mention Neon Blues and i for one cant stand it...i could deal with the red push maybe on the G10..but the neon green, ugh.

Just for you, I put my broadcast signal into Custom mode and, after lowering the contrast and changing the temperature to Warm 2, watched a bit of Law and Order: SVU. Without even touching any other settings it still looked extremely good and wasn't pushing reds. To test the greens, I played a few scenes from the Seasonal Forests episode of the Planet Earth series. Again, I went into Custom and performed the same modifications. Honestly, they're much more controlled than what was exhibited by the 85U and far less "neon." Whether they're perfect or not I personally cannot say, but if you read back a few pages Chad noted that they are a little off in Custom mode. The only thing that I'm sure of is that if they are off it's not by much. I switched back and forth between THX and Custom during these scenes and the only difference was that everything seemed brighter and punchier in Custom. Gamma didn't seem out of control at all like with the 85U's custom setting. I immediately seen fine details and subtle gradations of green in leaves in both picture modes that I don't recall ever seeing on the old set. As someone who was VERY critical of the inaccurate neon green I'm more than satisfied.

In addition, I invite anyone to ask me to run any tests or answer any questions about the G10 that they may have. (within reason... I'm not going to test the glass durability, thank you) However, I will not be checking any color filters or doing any excessive tweaking until after the initial break in period. Again, I'll be detailing these points next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

She is nice.....

I haven't decided on a name just yet, but I think I'm going to go with Trixie. Sure it's kind of stripper-ish, but that's because she's a naughty girl.

Seriously though, thank you for your impressions of this television. It greatly helped me to settle on this TV and I don't regret it one bit. If it not had been for the incredible discount I got on it I assure you that I would have bought from you. But hey, I may need to upgrade from my 2.1 system in the future.
post #652 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

. PlayOn streaming via my PS3 is already so much more versatile.

Seriously though, thank you for your impressions of this television. It greatly helped me to settle on this TV and I don't regret it one bit. If it not had been for the incredible discount I got on it I assure you that I would have bought from you. But hey, I may need to upgrade from my 2.1 system in the future.

So ... uh . what did you pay? Cause CP has it below retail.
post #653 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown435 View Post

So ... uh . what did you pay? Cause CP has it below retail.

Now, now. Although new to the forum, I'm still aware that discussion of prices is a no-no.
post #654 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM

just wanted to say props to curly21029 for the review and everyone else who has contributed informative posts.

many thanks.
post #655 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome, thanks alot curly21029. I'm pretty much almost sold on the G10 now, since there is an improvement in PQ like you said over the S1. I'd love to see some pics, better yet for gaming on the PS3 or Wii.
post #656 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Awesome, thanks alot curly21029. I'm pretty much almost sold on the G10 now, since there is an improvement in PQ like you said over the S1. I'd love to see some pics, better yet for gaming on the PS3 or Wii.

Sorry, but I don't own a digital camera. With a mug like mine you can't really run the risk.

I'll definitely be gaming on this television. Killzone 2 was jaw-dropping on the 85U and I can't wait to tear through it on the G10! Also, I'm planning on testing for any lag an image retention in the near future since I know this to be a concern for some.
post #657 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Thanks, Curly21019, for your service. Sounds like the G10 series is a great option to the Kuro 111fd's thick body, electrical draw, heat production, manufacturing discontinuance and $1200 higher price tag.
That said, let the V-10 watch continue as we wait for not just a Kuro option, but a Kuro killer.
post #658 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Now, now. Although new to the forum, I'm still aware that discussion of prices is a no-no.

He sent me a PM. I know something you don't know.
post #659 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 PM

I'd wait until more scientific comparisons are drawn between the S1 and G10 before shelling out the extra cash.
post #660 of 9991 Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does anyone have a typical power consumption number for any of the G series sets?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page