Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 9991 Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a TC-P54G10

Could anyone tell me what the latest firmware version is?
Also noted a couple of posts that referenced a THX update. What is that?
I would normally look for these answers myself but this thread is huge!!!
Also tried searching for the settings post but no luck :-(
Also.....How long does it take to burn in?
Many thanks...can't wait to get this baby set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9991 Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

50G10 Ve: 135/Vsus:198V

I'm gonna throw another variable into what you're saying raouliii. If most minor electronics components contain variance's then who's to say, as a whole, the electrical equipment used to calibrate these sets are also to some extent affected.

mauidj - Congrats on the new purchase. The latest firmware for the G series is 1.29, however this fw affects the Viera Cast menu. The THX fix that other's are refering to is another fw update that you may not need. It addresses a tint issue with the THX picture settings. Watch a few movies in this picture mode and see if you notice the colour leaning towards Green a bit too much. You'll notice it on faces and blonde hair etc. You can also follow the THX thread here. For breaking-in your plasma my recommendation is to read through this thread and follow the instructions on Breaking in your panel. ( you don't want to Burn-in your panel). As for settings I tried copying a few of our members settings on my TV and found there's always something I can do to make it a bit better for me.
post #9363 of 9991 Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvara View Post

....I'm gonna throw another variable into what you're saying raouliii. If most minor electronics components contain variance's then who's to say, as a whole, the electrical equipment used to calibrate these sets are also to some extent affected......

You've got a point but in general, professional, bench, test equipment is designed to far more stringent criteria than consumer electronics. In addition, test equipment calibration can be traced back to VERY accurate standards. The test equipment on my bench at work is re-calibrated to those standards annually.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #9364 of 9991 Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What i find most impressive about this years model, besides black level. Is how clean the picture is, it is generally clean and with dnr on weak its even a bit cleaner.

Does anyone know what exactly they did in these models to reduce noise. I almost thing its got noise reduction built in even when its off. Signals are just way to clean and I know they are not that clean because i have a 1080p projector, and 2008 panny plasma downstairs. Can anyone comment on this or know what they did to make it look so clean.

I have algolith flea downstairs and while my 2008 might look slightly cleaner with the flea, this is a standalone noise reduction processor considered the best. With it off tv looks unwatchable even hd because of compression noise. Yet the g10 shows very little.

I would love to hook it up to my flea to make it even look slightly cleaner (but theirs not much a flea will need to do because its so clean already) but my wife wont let me swap it and put it downstairs.
post #9365 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I have a few friends that forced their family to embrace and accept a Harmony remote and after initial resistance, they learned how to use it it turns out to be easy to use while still controlling an otherwise intimidating AVR/DVD/Cable/Satellite/TV setup fairly seamlessly.

Maybe you should determine which Harmony remote will suit your needs, then secretly buy it and program it for your system and test it out until you're sure it's set up properly and will be easy for family to choose an activity and watch it normally. Then, sabotage the Tivo remote with dead batteries. Plant more dead batteries into a box of "new" batteries in the drawer, then have the wife put the "new" batteries into the remote only to discover that it still doesn't work and "prove" that the Tivo Remote has gone bad. Then you can save the day and whip out your new Harmony remote, give them a quick tutorial, and tell them they'll have to use that from now on if they want to watch their Tivo'd shows

Then after they're on board with the Harmony and are used to using it, go ahead and get the ZVOX or even a nice surround sound AVR and 5.1 system and integrate it into the Harmony and all the buttons they normally press will still work as before, only the sound will be much better

clear nailpolish on all the points the batteries make contact with :-)
post #9366 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM

i know this is not the thread for projectors but i have a question
please i need to know as soon i can.

buying from a seller on Amazon,the item is new and has never been registered you guys think the manufacture warranty will cover any damage?
post #9367 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM

54G10
July 2009
VE 134V
VSUS 193V
post #9368 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Color temp does not stop saturation. Saturation is still there. color temp changes the temperature of the greyscale.

The temp default warm2 is like 6450 ish...very close to perfect. going to warm one may look like it soften reds but it really does more harm than good to the image.

I like a little extra color I admit to that But other than that warm2 for me all the way because its the standard.

Well I don't know what all the fuss is about having color temp at warm 1 or warm 2 for that matter. Both are dark and do not give life like color especially on the faces of people. Color 1 or Color 2 are a bit brighter and give more of a life like color to people. Watching sports with a warm color temp is too dark for me.
post #9369 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM

My current Ver software is 1.07 ,and tried to Upgrade it say, no newer avalable . Viera cast addaded Fox News and Pandora automatically, Last week with Coming Soon written.
,more.tabs also there,Any one has Pandora/ Fox Soprtss Working on 65PZ850U, or newer Software/Firmware avalable for this set?
post #9370 of 9991 Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 PM

pandora works great on my set!,as well as 2 foreign language channels. fox sports says coming soon!,plus it looks like they added room for at least 4 to 6 more stations!
post #9371 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I signed up for the free Pandora membership after doing the 1.29 update. Does anyone know if we're limited to 40 hours/month with VieraCast? That's the way it works with the free online version using a computer. Also, does a premium (paid) membership get the better bitrate with VieraCast as it does online? While free Pandora is a cool feature, the fidelity isn't very good.

Perhaps the answers are posted somewhere and I just haven't found them yet.

Edit--

I did find the answer to one of my questions on Pandora's site: IMPORTANT NOTE: *Pandora Mobile and Pandora In-Home Devices currently do not support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #9372 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1521 View Post

Well I don't know what all the fuss is about having color temp at warm 1 or warm 2 for that matter. Both are dark and do not give life like color especially on the faces of people. Color 1 or Color 2 are a bit brighter and give more of a life like color to people. Watching sports with a warm color temp is too dark for me.

Do you mean Cool1 and Cool2? You may need to adjust black level (brightness) and/or white level (contrast) to resolve your issue with the various color temp options appearing "dark".

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #9373 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

I signed up for the free Pandora membership after doing the 1.29 update. Does anyone know if we're limited to 40 hours/month with VieraCast? That's the way it works with the free online version using a computer. Also, does a premium (paid) membership get the better bitrate with VieraCast as it does online? While free Pandora is a cool feature, the fidelity isn't very good.

Edit--

I did find the answer to one of my questions on Pandora's site: IMPORTANT NOTE: *Pandora Mobile and Pandora In-Home Devices currently do not support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future.

Is this through your Panny TV or Blu-ray? I'm very interested in what you're discussing here.
post #9374 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

It's through VieraCast included on some of the Panny TVs. I've got VieraCast on a Blu-ray player too, but I haven't hooked it up to check for updates yet. Previously, the interface looked exactly the same as the VieraCast on the TV.

post #9375 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

Edit--

Pandora on VieraCast does not play or show any ads, nor is it subject to the hourly interaction timer placed on free Pandora accounts. Therefore, I would imagine Panasonic has paid some sort of license fee to Pandora that enables unlimited use of the service on VieraCast. They have paid a similar fee to Google for access to YouTube.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #9376 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
I know I have the latest update on my Blu-ray (BD60) but sure what version of f/w it is. I don't see Pandora listed. I hope this isn't one of those "your Blu-ray is 5 months old so it's time to replace to get feature you thought you might". I see two "coming soon" slots on the VieraCast screen but no Pandora. :-(

Any ideas where to confirm my f/w on this unit. Would love to get hooked up with Pandora.

Update: I have f/w version 2.2.
post #9377 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1521 View Post

I don't know why you say it's too dark, i use Warm 2 in Custom mode with Contrast set about +81 and it's brighter than just about every other plasma i've ever seen (and i like a very bright screen). Skin tones look natural on most stations, and not even close to being dark.

What picture mode are you using for sports? And what is your contrast set at? Something sounds wrong.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9378 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM

bummer ive got image retention from to much call of duty, the health bar is showing all the time, any fix for this or will it simapply go away after time, ive turned the contrast down so far
post #9379 of 9991 Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumachi View Post

bummer ive got image retention from to much call of duty, the health bar is showing all the time, any fix for this or will it simapply go away after time, ive turned the contrast down so far

It will go away with time. You can use the screen-wipe pattern if you want it to go away faster.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #9380 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Mike, do you not think there's too much red saturation with warm2 after the THX fix? I as well as several others thought this after installing, and decided warm1 looked much more balanced. HCFR's RGB graph after measuring grayscale on my G10 last night confirmed this as well.

I had my A board replaced last Friday on a March build panel and I think it looks horrible. I called the service tech this morning to see if I could get my old board back but he said they already returned it to Panasonic. All I can see when I look at it is red. Everybody's face looks like they have been sitting under a sun lamp. If I turn down the color the colors just look weaker but the faces are still red. This is all based on watching DTV through the exact same connections as before. This also happens on all picture modes. Is there any way to go into the service menu and adjust the colors? I'm afraid I ruined a good picture with the hope of getting something better. I have tried all kind of color and tint adjustments but I can't seem to correct it. I have tried the tint as high as +10 to +15 to get rid of the red but then it gives the rest of the picture a funny tone. I was much, much happier the way it was.

Terry
post #9381 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post

I know I have the latest update on my Blu-ray (BD60) but sure what version of f/w it is. I don't see Pandora listed. I hope this isn't one of those "your Blu-ray is 5 months old so it's time to replace to get feature you thought you might". I see two "coming soon" slots on the VieraCast screen but no Pandora. :-(

Any ideas where to confirm my f/w on this unit. Would love to get hooked up with Pandora.

Update: I have f/w version 2.2.

Just for kicks I hooked up my BD60 player last night to see if there were any updates. It updated to 2.2 but as you pointed out, no changes to VieraCast. Looks like Pandora is limited to the TV version of VieraCast.

post #9382 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris49 View Post

I had my A board replaced last Friday on a March build panel and I think it looks horrible. I called the service tech this morning to see if I could get my old board back but he said they already returned it to Panasonic. All I can see when I look at it is red. Everybody's face looks like they have been sitting under a sun lamp. If I turn down the color the colors just look weaker but the faces are still red. This is all based on watching DTV through the exact same connections as before. This also happens on all picture modes. Is there any way to go into the service menu and adjust the colors? I'm afraid I ruined a good picture with the hope of getting something better. I have tried all kind of color and tint adjustments but I can't seem to correct it. I have tried the tint as high as +10 to +15 to get rid of the red but then it gives the rest of the picture a funny tone. I was much, much happier the way it was.

Terry

Since that post of mine that you quoted I switched back to warm2. After calibrating my grayscale and tweaking primary and secondary colors with HCFR and my i1 LT, warm2 doesn't look too red anymore and according to HCFR is actually the most color accurate temp when in THX mode. This is probably what you need to do.

If you don't have a meter, I suppose you could try just blindly increasing blue drv or lowering the red drv in the service menu a few ticks but you'll probably need to compensate by changing another setting too as everything affects everything when you make changes. I suppose it can't hurt trying, so long as you know how to navigate the SM and you write down your original values.

[EDIT] Actually, if you want to just try my settings and offsets click the link in my signature. They may not work as well for your TV as mine but the purpose was to even out the blue and red in warm temp and it did the job for me. Good luck.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #9383 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM

I may try your SM offsets to see if that helps.
post #9384 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I may try your SM offsets to see if that helps.

Good luck, I hope it helps.

You will notice I had to increase blue drv quite a bit in the warm color temp. This corroborates the issue you're explaining.

post #9385 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks Meteor. I used your settings and things did get better. I then added more to the blue drv but didn't like the look so I took it back to what you had. I then started adjusting the red drv until I got something I was satisfied with. I ended up with a -16 red drv and I'll probably leave it there for a while to see if I'm satisfied with it.
post #9386 of 9991 Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidj View Post

I just purchased a TC-P54G10

Could anyone tell me what the latest firmware version is?
Also noted a couple of posts that referenced a THX update. What is that?
I would normally look for these answers myself but this thread is huge!!!
Also tried searching for the settings post but no luck :-(
Also.....How long does it take to burn in?
Many thanks...can't wait to get this baby set up.

I'm a relative noob (got a 46G10 in Nov, 09), but I'll try to field this for you.

Latest FW is 1.290.
THX update: Check this thread; first post gives it in a nutshell.
As for thread size, the "Search this Thread" button on the right side of the gray bar here is your HUGE friend. Its response gives you most recent posts first.
To find settings, go to the thread search and enter something like "contrast +brightness +color +tint"; that should get you started.
Burn-in is reputed at 100-200 hours, depending on who you ask. Some people here do not recommend using a burn-in disk, just regular varied viewing at lowish settings. I starting raising my settings after about 100 hours, and it's been fine.

Welcome to the family!

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
post #9387 of 9991 Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM

TCP50G10 connected to Directv receiver. Does anyone else have a momentary audio blip when turning on both units? It occurs just after the HDMI notice shows in upper left, and before main picture is displayed.
post #9388 of 9991 Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Mauidj, If I were you I'd also check the black levels doubling thread before your 30 day return runs out.
post #9389 of 9991 Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Meteor. I used your settings and things did get better. I then added more to the blue drv but didn't like the look so I took it back to what you had. I then started adjusting the red drv until I got something I was satisfied with. I ended up with a -16 red drv and I'll probably leave it there for a while to see if I'm satisfied with it.

Glad that it helped.

Are you also using my user menu picture settings?

post #9390 of 9991 Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 AM

Syed117,
What are you using for a network cable? Is it Cat5e or Cat6? Maybe try another cable. I have mine connected to a Lynksys router via Cat 6 and no problems. No special setting. Do you have enough DHCP users allowed, like 3 for three computers or maybe 4? My MTU is set to Auto.

Good luck
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page