The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wait... So is the final value or the offset of the original value particular to my specific tv?maybe I'm confused. Does each panel need different settings originally to get the same picture? And the offsets are the only way to change them for every set? Like if mine starts at 9 but someone elses starts at 10 we use an offset of say -5 we will end with different values ( me 4 and them 5) but the picture color is the same my 4= their 5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM

basically, larry, is A1 on Whiteboys set the same as A4 on mine since thats where mine started? or are the initial calibrations different and A1 on mine is the same as A1 on his?
post #273 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidordinary View Post

Wait... So is the final value or the offset of the original value particular to my specific tv?maybe I'm confused. Does each panel need different settings originally to get the same picture? And the offsets are the only way to change them for every set? Like if mine starts at 9 but someone elses starts at 10 we use an offset of say -5 we will end with different values ( me 4 and them 5) but the picture color is the same my 4= their 5?

The offsets are universal. It has to do with the way Panasonic sets the TVs up at the factory. The sm values may be different but the outcome is about the same.

If you don't understand what you are doing then maybe you shouldn't do it.

Larry
post #274 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM

ok i understand the offsets are universal, but does that mean that an Rcut value of A4 on my set is different from Whiteboys set's A4 if from the factory his was set to A1? Thats all im asking, if its a bother, then don't answer.
post #275 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm basically admitting a lack of knowledge thats why I'm trying to gain some. Feel free to not participate. Then, Ill ask someone else.
post #276 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

basically, larry, is A1 on Whiteboys set the same as A4 on mine since thats where mine started? or are the initial calibrations different and A1 on mine is the same as A1 on his?

The default factory setting yield the same result even though the values are different. Don't get involved comparing factory setting. Stick with the D-Nice offsets for the wam color temperature.

Larry
post #277 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM

thank you. all i was asking.
post #278 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm basically admitting a lack of knowledge thats why I'm trying to gain some. Feel free to not participate. Then, Ill ask someone else.

This whole subject is off topic for this forum. Take your questions to the calibration forum.

And I'll partcipate where ever I wish.

Larry
post #279 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well Larry thanks for clarifying that for me as well, even if things did get a little hotty in here

I love D-Nice's settings for warm, it just seems like everytime I watch basketball the pic is too dark and I find myself changing the temp, right now I have it on cool, for some reason I only have this issue during bball but it happens everytime.
When they show a close up of a guys face like during a free throw its almost as if the lights are dim in the arena.
post #280 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 PM

whiteboy try this:

G-Drv C0
B-Drv 84
R-Cut 5F
G-Cut 65
B-Cut 68

then use warm setting on custom. I dig it.
post #281 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whiteboy try this:

G-Drv C0
B-Drv 84
R-Cut 5F
G-Cut 65
B-Cut 68

then use warm setting on custom. I dig it.

did you just make those up?
post #282 of 4414 Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

did you just make those up?

whiteboy,

If the factory settings for your 42 in the warm temp mode are as you stated in post #259:

R-Drv F1h
G-Drv FCh
B-Drv D0h
R-Cut 80h
G-Cut 80h
B-Cut 80h

then using the D-Nice offsets, your final numbers should be:

R-Drv F1h - 2d = EFh
G-Drv FCh - 30d = DEh
B-Drv D0h - 12d = C4h
R-Cut 80h - 33d = 5Fh
G-Cut 80h - 27d = 65h
B-Cut 80h - 24d = 68h

Larry
post #283 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 AM

So basically to simplify those who are not familiar with the hexadecimal format.

Take the value you have from the factory (which is in hexadecimal representation). Now D-Nice's offset value is a DECIMAL number that we are offsetting with. So take that decimal value and convert it to hex with the calculator tool that comes with Windows XP or you can find a million sites on the internet to do that for you. Now all you have to do is subtract the two hexadecimal numbers from each other and voila you have your new offset.

So if your original value is C0 (hex). And D-Nice's offset is -12, which is C in hex. You take C0 - C as your new value, which is B4.
post #284 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 AM

thanks sanne! I'm really just trying learn what this all means so at times my comments or questions probably appear ignorant or even negligent and its because I'm both lol.
post #285 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

whiteboy,

If the factory settings for your 42 in the warm temp mode are as you stated in post #259:

R-Drv F1h
G-Drv FCh
B-Drv D0h
R-Cut 80h
G-Cut 80h
B-Cut 80h

then using the D-Nice offsets, your final numbers should be:

R-Drv F1h - 2d = EFh
G-Drv FCh - 30d = DEh
B-Drv D0h - 12d = C4h
R-Cut 80h - 33d = 5Fh
G-Cut 80h - 27d = 65h
B-Cut 80h - 24d = 68h

Larry

Actually the settings in that post are my defaults for normal. Another poster changed his without writing them down and wanted to someone elses to try and fix his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

So basically to simplify those who are not familiar with the hexadecimal format.

Take the value you have from the factory (which is in hexadecimal representation). Now D-Nice's offset value is a DECIMAL number that we are offsetting with. So take that decimal value and convert it to hex with the calculator tool that comes with Windows XP or you can find a million sites on the internet to do that for you. Now all you have to do is subtract the two hexadecimal numbers from each other and voila you have your new offset.

So if your original value is C0 (hex). And D-Nice's offset is -12, which is C in hex. You take C0 - C as your new value, which is B4.

Cool thanks I just checked that all my values were correct and they were.
post #286 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Hi All,

It's been a week of fiddling but I finally got this TV perfectly dialed in. What I did was adjusted the SM settings for the Normal Color mode. I applied it to the standard preset and everything is perfect. Essentially all of the offsets are D-nice's only I did not tweak the standard settings for R,G,B drive. (see below)

Now whites are white, blacks are black, and the colors really come alive. People are not too tan, too red, or too pale. Warm setting with SM offsets are okay but I hated the sort of reddish tinge overall that appeard on the TV screen. Yes if you watch it long enough of warm your eyes adjust (kind of) but now with the normal color setting dialed in, this thing rocks (IMO).

PICTURE MODE: STANDARD
COLOR MODE: NORMAL

ADJUST MENU
SUB-BRT: -1

R-DRV: FB
G-DRV: FC
B-DRV: D2
R-Cut 5F
G-Cut 65
B-Cut 68

Picture:
Picture Mode: Standard
Contrast: 72
Brightness: 62
Color: 40
Tint: G1
Sharpness: 43
Color Temp: Normal
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light

Let me know what you guys think if you try this.
post #287 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

@dabigwaxy It appears you made offsets of 82 and 124 is that safe??
post #288 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 AM

I have finally completed the 120 hour break in using the slides, and adjusted the SM offsets per D-Nice's settings. The TV looks pretty awesome to me, and i appreciate all the knowledge i've gained from reading this forum anxiously everyday while the break in was going on. I have the 50 inch, and even on that, some of my original SM offsets were slightly different than those posted by Lem22 but i still applied the offsets exactly as D-Nice said. I honestly might not be able to tell the difference between out of the box settings and now but since D-Nice is an expert of some sort, i felt it would be best to do exactly what he says. Sure i would have preferred to watch tv intermittently throughout the break-in and may prefer "normal" color temperature but since D-Nice is the expert, and he took the time to calibrate his set and post reference seetings for noobs like us, I feel i would be stupid to spend my time disputing D-Nice by posting my relatively uninformed opinion. So thanks everyone. To any other noobs such as myself thinking about doing the calibration.... If you do do it, just Trust the opinion of an expert, D-Nice and do exactly what he says. Sure u might have to wait an extra couple days to watch your new TV and may think "normal" or "cool" setttings look better to you...but its worth it to have the your TV looking almost as good as if u had it professionally calibrated if ur patient enough to wait. And the best part is... as long as you write down ur original settings, if you don't like it better... u can just re-set it to factory settings. Peace
post #289 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazder View Post

I have finally completed the 120 hour break in using the slides, and adjusted the SM offsets per D-Nice's settings. The TV looks pretty awesome to me, and i appreciate all the knowledge i've gained from reading this forum anxiously everyday while the break in was going on. I have the 50 inch, and even on that, some of my original SM offsets were slightly different than those posted by Lem22 but i still applied the offsets exactly as D-Nice said. I honestly might not be able to tell the difference between out of the box settings and now but since D-Nice is an expert of some sort, i felt it would be best to do exactly what he says. Sure i would have preferred to watch tv intermittently throughout the break-in and may prefer "normal" color temperature but since D-Nice is the expert, and he took the time to calibrate his set and post reference seetings for noobs like us, I feel i would be stupid to spend my time disputing D-Nice by posting my relatively uninformed opinion. So thanks everyone. To any other noobs such as myself thinking about doing the calibration.... If you do do it, just Trust the opinion of an expert, D-Nice and do exactly what he says. Sure u might have to wait an extra couple days to watch your new TV and may think "normal" or "cool" setttings look better to you...but its worth it to have the your TV looking almost as good as if u had it professionally calibrated if ur patient enough to wait. And the best part is... as long as you write down ur original settings, if you don't like it better... u can just re-set it to factory settings. Peace

All that being said I wouldn't just leave it in a mode because an expert says to. If your eyes tell you normal looks better then by all means put it on normal.

I went back and forth and now I just have it where I like it.
post #290 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:

All that being said I wouldn't just leave it in a mode because an expert says to. If your eyes tell you normal looks better then by all means put it on normal.

I went back and forth and now I just have it where I like it.

Hi Whiteboy, I'm not sure what you mean. I have the 50x1 so I don't know if my SM settings look different than yours, as you have a 42. That said, I would just use the normal color mode on your TV and tweak nothing but the Sub-Brt, and the RGB Cut. I think you may have already tweaked your normal settings so I'm not sure what to tell you from this point.

I don't what is safe or dangerous. I still have 20 days to return this if I mess it up so I'm not too worried. Besides BB only check to see that the thing powers on when you return it - not that you totally messed up the settings. I'm very happy with the settings now.
post #291 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy View Post

Hi Whiteboy, I'm not sure what you mean. I have the 50x1 so I don't know if my SM settings look different than yours, as you have a 42. That said, I would just use the normal color mode on your TV and tweak nothing but the Sub-Brt, and the RGB Cut. I think you may have already tweaked your normal settings so I'm not sure what to tell you from this point.

I don't what is safe or dangerous. I still have 20 days to return this if I mess it up so I'm not too worried. Besides BB only check to see that the thing powers on when you return it - not that you totally messed up the settings. I'm very happy with the settings now.

Ok so you have the 50, I wish you had the offset values like D-Nice has posted instead of the final result.

I like the normal setting better and would love some settings for it, but I'm too impatient to go in there my self and screw around.
post #292 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Dabigwaxy,

Are you saying that these are your normal temp settings after applying the D-Nice offsets? If so, something is very wrong. These values are consistent with unchanged factory settings.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy View Post

[snip]

PICTURE MODE: STANDARD
COLOR MODE: NORMAL

ADJUST MENU
SUB-BRT: -1

R-DRV: FB
G-DRV: FC
B-DRV: D2

R-Cut 5F
G-Cut 65
B-Cut 68

[snip]

EDIT: Okay, from your last post, it appears that you only changed the cuts and left the drvs at the factory settings. And you say without regret that if you've screwed it up, you'll return to the store it and let someone else buy it.
post #293 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dabigwaxy,

Are you saying that these are your normal temp settings after applying the D-Nice offsets? If so, something is very wrong. These values are consistent with unchanged factory settings.

Larry

EDIT: Okay, from your last post, it appears that you only changed the cuts and left the drvs at the factory settings. And you say without regret that if you've screwed it up, you'll return to the store it and let someone else buy it.

lol I thought that too, not that I wouldn't return it but the new guy would have no idea that the SM had been altered.

So who's got some sweet offsets for normal on the 42"

That would be sweet.
post #294 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol I thought that too, not that I wouldn't return it but the new guy would have no idea that the SM had been altered.

That would be sweet.

There are 10s of thousands of us that would know.

Make the normal absolute values the same as the changed warm values and you will have the same sweet point. It's not rocket science.

Larry
post #295 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:

That would be sweet.

I won't know firsthand until I make some more sweet moolah with Uncle Rico...

/napoleon dynamite
post #296 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are 10s of thousands of us that would know.

Larry

Well I meant the average consumer Larry, smart *ss
post #297 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM

alright whiteboy, I'll and give it a shot tomorrow. we will see what me and avia can do lol. Man, i hafta stop this. i spend more time adjusting my tv than watching it... I can never get it quite perfect... prolly cuzz it cost 700 bucks lol
But so far, I took lem's FINAL values (yes, i understand thats not the right thing to do) and then used Dnice's settings and am incredibly happy. Oh i did bump the picture setting up from 30 to 34.
post #298 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM

I feel like Lem's final values kill some of the tint off warm and makes it look more "normal" it looooks great... til tomorrow when i adjust again lol
post #299 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 PM

I think one of my problems is i have my cablebox, my ps3 and my 360 hooked up to ym receiver and then my receiver to the tv so the settings have to be good for everything. Maybe thats asking too much. maybe i should go individually to the tv and set accordingly.
post #300 of 4414 Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM

and arent all channels not equal... it seems like the gamma and contrast are different on some than on others. that also messes with my head.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page