post #452 of 4419 Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 150
outsidordinary.

Thanks.

That's a start. We need the Cool values also.

Larry
post #453 of 4419 Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought these TVs may have variations which is why the starting values would be different between sets?

I noticed my starting value for B-DRV is A1, while outsidordinary's starting value is A3. Is this anything to be concerned with?
post #454 of 4419 Old 03-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Do the offsets apply to all of the color temperature modes? For example, if I changed the offsets in cool temp mode, would they be applied to warm mode or would I have to set them again for warm mode?
post #455 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfunk View Post

Do the offsets apply to all of the color temperature modes? For example, if I changed the offsets in cool temp mode, would they be applied to warm mode or would I have to set them again for warm mode?

Just set them for warm -- both HD and SD. If you want to set them all, each one (warm, normal, and cool) will have to be adjusted -- again each for HD and SD. Each one is independent of the others. This has been discussed many times in this thread.

Larry
post #456 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroponik View Post

I thought these TVs may have variations which is why the starting values would be different between sets?

I noticed my starting value for B-DRV is A1, while outsidordinary's starting value is A3. Is this anything to be concerned with?

There is nothing to worry about. There will be differences. Many may have the same values but nominal variations will exist.

Larry
post #457 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Just set them for warm -- both HD and SD. If you want to set them all, each one (warm, normal, and cool) will have to be adjusted -- again each for HD and SD. Each one is independent of the others. This has been discussed many times in this thread.

Larry

The problem is, I initially set the service offsets in cool mode. Now I don't know if those offsets changed my warm mode. I understand this has been discussed in the thread, but I feel some clarification is needed.

The way I am understanding your post is: The service offsets are COMPLETELY independent for each color mode. Is this correct?
post #458 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Big time profs guys! You beat up whoa nellie just a teeny tiny bit and then proceded to start helping him out of a really tough jam, way to go. You guys are what makes this forum great. I know you can't see me but I'm giving you a standking O!
post #459 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The problem is, I initially set the service offsets in cool mode. Now I don't know if those offsets changed my warm mode. I understand this has been discussed in the thread, but I feel some clarification is needed.

The way I am understanding your post is: The service offsets are COMPLETELY independent for each color mode. Is this correct?

Yes they are independent. The offsets posted are only made fro warm mode. If you want to change back cool mode to default do all the offsets backwards (if you haven't already)
post #460 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Yes they are independent. The offsets posted are only made fro warm mode. If you want to change back cool mode to default do all the offsets backwards (if you haven't already)

Thank you for the clarification.
post #461 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

ok, just starting running the break-in disc using D-nice's settings on page 1. I don't plan on using his post break-in settings(not going into the service menu, and BB calibrator will be by around 300-400 hours anyway).

Question: are these break-in settings designed specifically for this particular post break-in setting, or can it just be used as a general break-in guideline.(And if not, what would the general guideline be? Bright/Contrast 50/50 and full screen?)

sadmaker, have you thought about having the BB calibrator change your TV to D-Nice's post break-in sm settings and then have the calibrator use their equipment to adjust the picture (outside the sm) for custom mode? It is your TV afterall.
post #462 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Larry

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Let me try again: There are six temperature modes: Warm/SD, Warm/HD, Normal/SD, Normal/HD, Cool/SD, and Cool/HD. Each is independent from the others.

Larry
post #463 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Apply D-NICE's settings to WARM mode only. You will have to do this for SD and HD separately.
post #464 of 4419 Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Wow you guys/gals are great. Thank you so much for jumping in and trying to help me.
The color temperature is what messed me up in the first place and I can see it has confused others as well. Hopefully they will be patient and research the subject a lot before jumping in and changing things like I did. I changed them all before understanding that the offsets were only meant for the warm temperature. I understand what outsidordinary was saying, he was inquiring if I had changed both sd & hd settings because if I hadn't I could refer to the untouched sd settings to get my orignal values. Unfortunately I had changed both, but great thought thanks. I am very relieved to learn that I have not ruined my TV. Now I can be patient, watch the thread and decide how to proceed. I really can't thank you enough, and I appreciate you concentrating on solving the problem and not on rubbing my nose in my mistakes. . When you know better you do better and always be careful of what you don't know, that you don't know.
post #465 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Liked: 11
when are the calibration settings for the s1 series coning out? Is anyone using dnices service menu offsets on an s1? thanks
post #466 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone have settings for the g10?

"I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim." - Rickson Gracie
post #467 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 AM

i tried getting into the sm on my 50x1 but was unable to. do you have to have a source hooked up to access the menu? currently, there is nothing hooked up to it but my sd card w the break in images and i was wanting to check my hours so i could finally go purchase my ps3 and put in the sm off sets. i estimate im close to 100 hrs but wanted to check to be sure.

hold down "vol -" key and press "info" 3 times but nothing happened. any ideas?
post #468 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdark1 View Post

i tried getting into the sm on my 50x1 but was unable to. do you have to have a source hooked up to access the menu? currently, there is nothing hooked up to it but my sd card w the break in images and i was wanting to check my hours so i could finally go purchase my ps3 and put in the sm off sets. i estimate im close to 100 hrs but wanted to check to be sure.

hold down "vol -" key and press "info" 3 times but nothing happened. any ideas?

you hold down ON THE TV and push info ON THE REMOTE. I screwed this up the first time myself.
post #469 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM

thanks whiteboy.

another ? if u dont mind. so, you used dnices offsets for standard color temp and liked it better? just wondering bc i was only going to apply them to warm as instructed in this thread but from what u and larry have posted the offsets will improve all of the color temps they just wont be up to specific industry standards? im cool w that as long as it still improves them and gives me more improved modes to choose from. am i completely off base on this?

would like to hear from larry or dnice as well. thanks.
post #470 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdark1 View Post

thanks whiteboy.

another ? if u dont mind. so, you used dnices offsets for standard color temp and liked it better? just wondering bc i was only going to apply them to warm as instructed in this thread but from what u and larry have posted the offsets will improve all of the color temps they just wont be up to specific industry standards? im cool w that as long as it still improves them and gives me more improved modes to choose from. am i completely off base on this?

would like to hear from larry or dnice as well. thanks.

Yes thats true thats what I did.
Your right about what Larry said too, the settings are designed to get warm as close as possible to the standard without a true in home calibration.

So they wont get you the standard but they will improve your pic.

I am admittedly no expert here and it is a good idea to listen to Larry and Dnices take, although Dnice has posted for some time now.

It very easy to use the SM once you do it once or twice, so for me it was no big deal to try it out on normal, then if you dont like it just put it back.

I never could get used to the warm setting, its just not for me, but now I have the offsets on normal temp with dnices custom settings tweeked to my liking and I just leave it alone.

Looks great to me but everyone likes things a little different.
post #471 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysical View Post

anyone have settings for the g10?

+1
post #472 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Do not use the D-Nice offsets on any series other than the X1. When he has offsets for other models, he will post them on the first page of this thread.

Please read before asking questions. It's all there for you.

Larry
post #473 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy View Post

I double checked my settings and they are correct as previously indicated.

PICTURE MODE: STANDARD
COLOR MODE: NORMAL

ADJUST MENU
SUB-BRT: -1

R-DRV: FB
G-DRV: FC
B-DRV: D2
R-Cut 5F
G-Cut 65
B-Cut 68

Holy cow, it's still too dim for you. I'm in a very bright room and I see everything just fine. My goodness Whiteboy. I used to label myself Torch Light Super Fan #1 but you might just be after my title. Well at least the reddish tinge from warm and the blueish tinge from Cool are gone, right?

Hi All,

I did one more thing. I applied my normal setting to Cinema and then went to All Cut and ramped it way way up. It didn't appear to effect the color too much and it let's much watch cinema in the brightest possible conditions. It's so bright that I have my brightness at 0. I like this a lot because Cinema tones down the noise which is something this TV does not allow the user to control well. I'm not sure this is advised but it appears to be working great for me. Obviously if you are looking for the most perfectly calibrated TV possible, ignore my post. If you just want a picture that's a bit brighter, give my method a try.
post #474 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi All,

I did one more thing. I applied my normal setting to Cinema and then went to All Cut and ramped it way way up. It didn't appear to effect the color too much and it let's much watch cinema in the brightest possible conditions. It's so bright that I have my brightness at 0. I like this a lot because Cinema tones down the noise which is something this TV does not allow the user to control well. I'm not sure this is advised but it appears to be working great for me. Obviously if you are looking for the most perfectly calibrated TV possible, ignore my post. If you just want a picture that's a bit brighter, give my method a try.

Sounds interesting but I'm not to keen on making sm offsets that a calibrator didnt recomend.

Actually I've just decided to leave the pic settings alone and I am now very happy where they were at.

You've got me tempted to check this out but if I do I'll start nitpicking the pic again I think.
post #475 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi All,

"ramped it way way up" to what value? Do you hane a service manual? How do you know that you will not damage your TV?

Anyone who plays around indiscriminately with the service menu settings should not be passing on this potentially dangerous information in this forum. Post it in the calibration forum and see what response you get.

Larry
post #476 of 4419 Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:

"ramped it way way up" to what value? Do you hane a service manual? How do you know that you will not damage your TV?

Anyone who plays around indiscriminately with the service menu settings should not be passing on this potentially dangerous information in this forum. Post it in the calibration forum and see what response you get.

Larry

K. Sorry. Delete my posting if you wish. Nobody should do what I did.
post #477 of 4419 Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM

THANK YOU D-NICE
I got my TC-P42X1 last Thursday and completed the 120 hour break in period using the breakin images on the SD card. Last night I did the service menu and user menu set-up using the D-Nice settings.
IT TURNED OUT GREAT. THE COLORS POP AND THE FLESH TONES ROCK.
This is my first plasma and this set delivers all that I could expect. The Cinema settings do seem a little dark, but the Custom settings are a bit brighter. For now, I will do all my viewing in Cinema to see what a 65d grayscale should look like. After a lifetime of bright washed-out images, this set is giving me a lot of visual pleasure.
D-NICE GAVE US A GIFT. I'M THANKFUL, AND HAPPY I FOLLOWED HIS ADVICE.
post #478 of 4419 Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM

gholtom, did you run the tv with the break-in slides 24/7? i'm hopefully getting this set soon and will want to go through the break in process as soon as possible.
post #479 of 4419 Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Larry

Upon further review, when I ramped up the all cut setting there was an issue. While the Normal/cinema mode was much brighter than I previously had it, when there were dark scenes, I could see a not-so-faint white haze. I lost my lovely inky blacks. It was like I was back to weird hazy blacks of an LCD again. The humanity! I changed my settings back and am mostly happy.
post #480 of 4419 Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM

crissmancd
Yes, I ran them for 5 days straight.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page