The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I might have missed it - but are the settings applicable across a line of sets? Or.... how much deviation from the mean 'optimum settings' is there typically in the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Well, I'm now settled on Warm 2 with the G10 in Custom and Game. However, it's my opinion that THX still benefits from the Warm 1 temperature as I still notice a yellow sheen over just about everything. At any rate, Warm 2 provides a slightly more natural looking green, much more natural looking skin tones, (especially pale ones) and an overall more saturated looking color pallet. Warm 1 helps blues pop a bit better in some animated content and films with aquatic scenes, but that's it. The only content that I demoed that I decisively liked Warm 1 for was Chicken Little (terrible movie, great demo material) due to the brighter looking sky. Warm 2, however, won out in every other test.

I watched Quantum of Solace a few days ago under Warm 1 and decided to watch it again as it would still be fresh in my mind. I immediately noticed a difference. Bond's rugged mug during the opening showed much greater depth and detail while M's fair complexion lost all of the blue that I noticed in the previous viewing. Also, the actors didn't drown in the sea of white that is the set for the office/headquarters scenes and lighter architecture looked decidedly more realistic. I also viewed a few clips of other live action content like Man on Fire, I, Robot, and American History X. All gained an added amount of realism on all skin tones under Warm 2 and trees, brush, and grass all looked a shade deeper.

As far as animated content is concerned, I watched clips from Cars, Madagascar 2, Bolt, and Kung Fu Panda. Again, everything looked fantastic and the shade of yellow looked decidedly better under Warm 2. Lightning McQueen looked perfectly uniform with the rest of the scene, Alex the lion didn't change to Hellboy red, Melman the giraffe gained a bit of punch, and Mantis/Viper looked fantastic. Blue skies didn't look too quelled and white characters like Bolt, Po, and Marty looked white, not yellow. (and I was intentionally looking for this) As mentioned previously, the only content that I preferred under Warm 1 was the overly-saturated blue sky in Chicken Little, but it didn't look bad under Warm 2 by any stretch.

As a final test, I took a look at Sin City to see if it would come off as yellow. Surprisingly, if it looked any color it was slightly blue, but all was well.
post #543 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Hello all,

Has anybody had a chance to compare a callibrated G10 vs a 111FD?

Thanks
post #544 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Just to clarify should Video NR and Color mgmt. be off for the break-in process?

And, when the dark grey image is displayed it is very snowy, and the pixels are changing colors, its not solid like the colors, is this normal?

Have a question? AIM me: supremeMilo
post #545 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM

I have the p50x1 and i am trying to use the cinema mode, i like the color temp normal. I have the picture settings the way i want them, except when a image with a white screen comes, example a commercial, the whites are to intense and it strains my eyes. I don't like the warm setting, and if i lower my contrast, then my picture becomes dark. So my question is, is there a way to lower the white level only, not the contrast in the service menu?
post #546 of 4414 Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

I have the p50x1 and i am trying to use the cinema mode, i like the color temp normal. I have the picture settings the way i want them, except when a image with a white screen comes, example a commercial, the whites are to intense and it strains my eyes. I don't like the warm setting, and if i lower my contrast, then my picture becomes dark. So my question is, is there a way to lower the white level only, not the contrast in the service menu?

This has been a problem for me too...I switched to plasma from LCD because plasmas have an ABL (automatic brightness limiter). But when the whites are still too bright, would be nice to be able to adjust the ABL and I wonder if there is a service menu adjustment for this?

I also only went with a 42" thinking the 50" might be too bright with the whites. For my eyes, above 42" I think the bigger screen option would need to be a front projector system. Or...maybe something like the Pioneer that has the "pure theatre mode" setting or the Panasonic G10 with THX mode. I have never had eye strain in a movie theatre, but turn on the lights in a theatre and the picture washes out; the light output level must be very low. These sets are made with the option to be watched in the day as well. I think the CATS feature was an attempt to provide a simple option to reduce contrast and watch in low light. The trouble is, the feature also dims the low light level picture and thus not very useful (unless the contrast and brightness are set very high to begin with).

Generally, contrast adjusts the white level, and brightness the black level.

A bias light behind the set helps to minimize the "blinding white" issue. More ambient light would work too, but I prefer to watch a movie in very low ambient light. In addition, sitting farther away would help (just like getting a smaller size set).

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #547 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 AM

in the service menu, when I enter the offsets, there isnt any negative numbers like it shows in the first post. What am I missing? Service Menu Noob (Not a complete idiot though)... When its says R-CUT -33 does that mean go down 33 times from the factory offset?

Also, anyone have the original offsets...lol
Also, When I go to options, it cycles through a bunch of colors... Whats the purpose of this?
post #548 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydudesixty9 View Post

When its says R-CUT -33 does that mean go down 33 times from the factory offset?

Yes

Quote:

Whats the purpose of this?

Do not touch anything else in the SM. If you want to know what the other items are, please purchase the Service manual for the X1.
post #549 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes

Do not touch anything else in the SM. If you want to know what the other items are, please purchase the Service manual for the X1.

Thanks... So if it lands on a random number like 4C Im fine correct? Im not afraid to mess with the service menu, I like to learn... If I screw anything up, I can swap it out for another one...
post #550 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydudesixty9 View Post

Thanks... So if it lands on a random number like 4C Im fine correct? Im not afraid to mess with the service menu, I like to learn... If I screw anything up, I can swap it out for another one...

So you think if you go in the service menu and screw the set up you can just return it. You are not supposed to be in the service menu and they can easy tell if you were in it, after running a diagnostic on it. It's possible that your warranty would be violated, with such actions. You are the type of person that forced many companies to adopt a re-stocking fee on returns and screw everyone with your actions. Consumers like you ruin it for the normal customer who never did anything wrong and is forced to live with a rigid return policy.
post #551 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

So you think if you go in the service menu and screw the set up you can just return it. You are not supposed to be in the service menu and they can easy tell if you were in it, after running a diagnostic on it. It's possible that your warranty would be violated, with such actions. You are the type of person that forced many companies to adopt a re-stocking fee on returns and screw everyone with your actions. Consumers like you ruin it for the normal customer who never did anything wrong and is forced to live with a rigid return policy.

OOOOOOOHHH maaajor burnage. *whipping sound*
post #552 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUfan77 View Post

OOOOOOOHHH maaajor burnage. *whipping sound*

These Bob Vila types need a rude awakening! If you want to learn about electronics, do it on your own dime. It's not like picking up some "Plasmas for Dummies" book at Barnes and Noble....go to school...be the best you can be...give a 110% to the team...ya da ya da ya da...just saying..you know what I mean..
post #553 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post

This has been a problem for me too...I switched to plasma from LCD because plasmas have an ABL (automatic brightness limiter). But when the whites are still too bright, would be nice to be able to adjust the ABL and I wonder if there is a service menu adjustment for this?

I also only went with a 42" thinking the 50" might be too bright with the whites. For my eyes, above 42" I think the bigger screen option would need to be a front projector system. Or...maybe something like the Pioneer that has the "pure theatre mode" setting. I have never had eye strain in a movie theatre, but turn on the lights in a theatre and the picture washes out; the light output level must be very low. These sets are made with the option to be watched in the day as well. I think the CATS feature was an attempt to provide a simple option to reduce contrast and watch in low light. The trouble is, the feature also dims the low light level picture and thus not very useful (unless the contrast and brightness are set very high to begin with).

Generally, contrast adjusts the white level, and brightness the black level.

A bias light behind the set helps to minimize the "blinding white" issue. More ambient light would work too, but I prefer to watch a movie in very low ambient light. In addition, sitting farther away would help (just like getting a smaller size set).

I watch with lights on in the room and my sitting distance is around 9ft. I appreciate your input. Anyone else know if there is an adjustment for the 'blinding white' issue?
post #554 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

I watch with lights on in the room and my sitting distance is around 9ft. I appreciate your input. Anyone else know if there is an adjustment for the 'blinding white' issue?

This is a very proud day for all of us plasma owners. For years and countless posts by the "LCD HEADS" about "dirty whites" and "off whites", we now have a "blinding white" issue in the plasma community. This is one problem that has taken engineers years to develop. I want to thank all the engineers who have brought us to this point in plasma development...finally we have a "problem" we can all be proud of....
post #555 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:

This is a very proud day for all of us plasma owners. For years and countless posts by the "LCD HEADS" about "dirty whites" and "off whites", we now have a "blinding white" issue in the plasma community. This is one problem that has taken engineers years to develop. I want to thank all the engineers who have brought us to this point in plasma development...finally we have a "problem" we can all be proud of....

lol
post #556 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

LOL I agree everyone kept saying these sets weren't bright enough now all of a sudden the white is blinding.
post #557 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:

In defense of Chevydude 69, if they had calibrated the thing the right way in the first place we wouldn't be tinkering with the dam SM settings in the first place. Apparently that costs a lot of money. If it weren't for the price, I'm not sure how these TVs would sell because on the floor, in vivid store mode, they look like complete crap. Also, come on, I've returned 7 TVs in the last 3 years, they don't check the Service Menu. The Extra Large Best Buy guy in the Extra Small blue shirt plugs in the TV to see that it powers on, checks my receipt, and happily collects his $8.50 an hour. That said, I love this TV (after 2 - 3 weeks of TINKERING with SM presets) I am one happy guy. If you spend a grand, you should be happy. If you're not, return the thing and find one you like better.
post #558 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

post #559 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy View Post

In defense of Chevydude 69, if they had calibrated the thing the right way in the first place we wouldn't be tinkering with the dam SM settings in the first place. Apparently that costs a lot of money. If it weren't for the price, I'm not sure how these TVs would sell because on the floor, in vivid store mode, they look like complete crap. Also, come on, I've returned 7 TVs in the last 3 years, they don't check the Service Menu. The Extra Large Best Buy guy in the Extra Small blue shirt plugs in the TV to see that it powers on, checks my receipt, and happily collects his $8.50 an hour. That said, I love this TV (after 2 - 3 weeks of TINKERING with SM presets) I am one happy guy. If you spend a grand, you should be happy. If you're not, return the thing and find one you like better.

really?
what tv do you know of that comes calibrated?
I personally think that tinkering with a televisions service menu,screwing it up, then returning it is not cool
post #560 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 06:02 PM

I see too many people who think that black level is all about how absolutely black a set can get. I used to own a 42P700U before it bit the dust and all of my LCD TV's displayed deeper absolute blacks, but none of them can resolve the shadow detail that the 42P700U was able to. In dark scenes the LCD's would crush the holy hell out of the blacks and all you would see where giant patches of black.

The G10 in Custom mode crushes blacks more than it does in THX mode. BUT, the color accuracy is much improved and the trade off in gamma is not that noticeable to my eyes.
post #561 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

How long does 1 cycle of the DVD last? In other words how often do I need to restart it?

Thanks
post #562 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanzrt View Post

How long does 1 cycle of the DVD last? In other words how often do I need to restart it?

Thanks

You need to set it up on a loop or your gonna be messing with it all day. Or get the cheapest smallest SD card you can find, I'm sure you could get one for 5 bucks. Much easier this way imo
post #563 of 4414 Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM

How do you set it up in a loop? My SD card slot doesn't work...Long story..prefer not to elaborate...lol

Nevermind, It's looping.
post #564 of 4414 Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

The G10 in Custom mode crushes blacks more than it does in THX mode. BUT, the color accuracy is much improved and the trade off in gamma is not that noticeable to my eyes.

Do you have the two picture modes reversed? I've personally found more detail in the Custom mode (could be due to the sufficient contrast) and the color is more uniform in THX with an accurate green primary.
post #565 of 4414 Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanzrt View Post

Thanks

If you're talking about Evangelo's break-in DVD, it runs for 24 hours. No need to set it to loop. But yea, get an SD card. Its an easy setup, & reduces wear and tear on your dvd player

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #566 of 4414 Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

I need to find the right settings... all the oranges and reds seem too bright when viewing in HD...what are the optimal settings when watching cable?
post #567 of 4414 Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Calm down, I sell these things... There is no problem with me returning the TV to my store if anything were to go wrong... Im the type of person who likes to go above and beyond the normal sales person and would like to know more about what can be found in the Service Menu... Im not your normal sales person you see in all these B&M stores... I did by a Panny and not an LCD like my co-workers...
post #568 of 4414 Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Once I've completed the break in which is currently running, which settings should I use? Will the settings on the first page be the best until the G10 settings are posted or should I just use factory settings until D-Nice has a chance to work with a G10?
Thanks
post #569 of 4414 Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Panasonic TC-P50S1

For somebody NOT using any cards/pics/programs, or running 24 hours a day, etc... What exact settings should I use for the 100-150 hour break-in period?

I will just be watching TV normally.

Thank you for any help.

One day at a time...
post #570 of 4414 Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hello to all,

Looks like the 12G G or V series don't have any color management in their user interface. Can primary and secondary colors be modified in their SM?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page