The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4414 Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm anxiously waiting for the v10 to come out but been reading the samsung b series plasma threads lately and it seems like they have the same buzzzing problems as the pannys. As is with the pannys it is hit or miss whether you get one with it or not. I have never had a plasma but i am going out on a limb and assuming that this is inherent problem with plasmas as is the line bleeding adn IR?

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4414 Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Just to add to what batpig said:

Plasma screens age in an exponential manner -- the greatest change occurring during the initial several hundred hours.

The reason for the 120 hour period that D-Nice used was for him to have a 'conditioned' screen from which to do his calibration. Whether or not you use his service menu offsets, it will do no harm to age the panel in increments. That's how I did it.

Or to reinforce what batpig said, simply let the set age by itself during normal viewing. It will just take a little longer to reach the optimum state -- but it will.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfn11 View Post

Hello,

I am also wondering if there is any benefit from doing the break-in without use of the SM.
I just dont want to go there, both for the warranty thing and the fact that I dont wanna mess around.
I do want to try the break-in though, if my picture quality will benefit from it.

Could someone tell me if its worth it or should I just skip it?

post #903 of 4414 Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Liked: 10
Here are my settings, like posted in another thread. These settings remind me of my Pioneer, which is a good thing.

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 42
Color: 41
Tint: -1
Sharpness: 59
Color Temp: Normal
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light
post #904 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM

I am starting the break in process on my TC-P50G10 tomorrow. Should I use the settings below (from D-nice) or just the standard Vivid setting on the tv? Thanks.

Picture:
Picture Mode: Vivid
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool

Advance Options
post #905 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post

I am starting the break in process on my TC-P50G10 tomorrow. Should I use the settings below (from D-nice) or just the standard Vivid setting on the tv? Thanks.

Picture:
Picture Mode: Vivid
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool

Advance Options

Use those settings ONLY when you are running the slide show
post #906 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Just to add to what batpig said:

Plasma screens age in an exponential manner -- the greatest change occurring during the initial several hundred hours.

The reason for the 120 hour period that D-Nice used was for him to have a 'conditioned' screen from which to do his calibration. Whether or not you use his service menu offsets, it will do no harm to age the panel in increments. That's how I did it.

Or to reinforce what batpig said, simply let the set age by itself during normal viewing. It will just take a little longer to reach the optimum state -- but it will.

Larry

Are you saying that normal viewing will have the same effect on the TV as D-Nice's break-in procedure, but at a slower rate? I ask because if it does then wouldn't D-Nice's reference settings (not the break-in settings) still work as well with normal viewing after enough hours?

(Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like that is what you're saying.)
post #907 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Are you saying that normal viewing will have the same effect on the TV as D-Nice's break-in procedure, but at a slower rate? I ask because if it does then wouldn't D-Nice's reference settings (not the break-in settings) still work as well with normal viewing after enough hours?

(Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like that is what you're saying.)

Yes, that is what I am saying --after enough hours. "Enough" being the operative word here. It will vary depending on the settings that are used for viewing. In any case, after enough hours...

Larry
post #908 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Heh, after watching TV in zoom mode and changing channels making sure nothing static, i turned back to color slideshow and behold tons of transparent black marks all over the screen - barely noticable but they're there. So ran some more of the OP's break in, like an hour or two when I came back to look at TV - those marks are gone - perfect uniform. Or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.
post #909 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broketoo View Post

Heh, after watching TV in zoom mode and changing channels making sure nothing static, i turned back to color slideshow and behold tons of transparent black marks all over the screen - barely noticable but they're there. So ran some more of the OP's break in, like an hour or two when I came back to look at TV - those marks are gone - perfect uniform. Or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Your point being?

Image retention and panel conditioning are different things. D-Nice stressed this in his OP.

Larry
post #910 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Your point being?

Image retention and panel conditioning are different things. D-Nice stressed this in his OP.

Larry

No point made... just an observation is all. Sorry ignore my silly babbling.
post #911 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
Any news on D-Nice providing settings for the G10 models?
post #912 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb007 View Post

Hi Guys:
This is a great forum and thanks to all senior members for educating us newbies so much. I almost ordered the SamsungB750 but changed my mind that last minute, hoping I made the right decision. I really liked the G10 in the darker lighting (and I hear that even the 240hz image refreash rate is not as good as the plasma).

Here are my quesitons (BTW, I have read the entire post):
1. Can I run the slide show using the 'user setting' instead of going into the SM, basically pick a user setting close to what DNice has in the first post? (Am scared that my warrenty may become void if I go into the service mode)
2. If I use the 120 image slide show, what timing should I use. I know Dnice used 10s so am gussing I should use the same.
3. After break in and changing the settings to what is in the first post, would it change the images in all the modes (THX, VIVID, STD etc.) or only the custom mode that you will save into.

Man the break in period will kill me (I dont know how some of you guys can wait so patiently).

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you use the user settings in post one for the slide show and wait until after the break-in period to apply the SM offsets in post #2?
post #913 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I accidentally ended up watching the tv for a little while with the break-in settings. What issues will this cause with the tv or the image quality? It was about half way through the process. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe run the break-in slideshow for longer? It is just finishing the 120 hours. Thanks in advance.
post #914 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity2134 View Post

I accidentally ended up watching the tv for a little while with the break-in settings. What issues will this cause with the tv or the image quality? It was about half way through the process. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe run the break-in slideshow for longer? It is just finishing the 120 hours. Thanks in advance.

You have caused no damage. Consider the conditioning period done, set the TV the way that you like, and enjoy it.

Larry
post #915 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM

I know d-nice has not posted his custom calibration yet so what is the best way to come up with my own settings for now? Is there a dvd or a slide show to use? or at least some rules of thumb like down turn specific settings above a certain amount?
post #916 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savior sound View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you use the user settings in post one for the slide show and wait until after the break-in period to apply the SM offsets in post #2?

Since the break-in uses the Cool temperature mode and the offsets apply only to Warm, theoretically the end result should be the same no matter when the offsets are made.

Remember -- D-Nice used the break-in period first so that he could have an aged panel to calibrate and thereby determine the offsets.

Larry
post #917 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity2134 View Post

I know d-nice has not posted his custom calibration yet so what is the best way to come up with my own settings for now? Is there a dvd or a slide show to use? or at least some rules of thumb like down turn specific settings above a certain amount?

Because of the non-linear gamma in the Custom picture mode, I doubt that D-Nice will bother to attempt a calibration. After all, he is a busy professional calibrator.

User settings for the Custom mode have been posted. Use the search function.

Larry
post #918 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM

What about a dvd you recommend?
post #919 of 4414 Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 PM

I have been reading these threads for many months now but one thing is still not clear in my head.

What is the difference between the user menu and the service menu when making adjustments?

I know it is safe to go into the user menu and make some adjustments and I know that if I go into the service menu I could mess things up if I do something wrong.

So my question is. Do I really > need < to go into the service menu to get the best picture on these plasma's?

Can I just make the adjustments in the user menu and still have a great / fantastic picture?

If I wait until the break in period is over and then I go into the service menu and really mess things up I will shoot myself.

So if we are talking about adjusting color, contrast, grey scale, etc..

1) Is the user menu on it's own good enough?

Or

2) Must the service menu be accessed to get the very best picture from these sets?

3) Does the service menu allow you to make the adjustments one time and then those adjustments are locked in until you go back into the service menu and make more adjustments?

4) If the adjustments are made only in the user menu would those adjustments not be locked in and would those adjustments need to be made again and again?

See, I really need someone to give me a basic explanation on the difference between the user menu and the service menu. With all of the post I have read in these threads I have never seen the difference between those two menu's explained in a basic way. Except to say that in the service menu if you do something wrong you can brick your set.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
post #920 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Jim, the user menu for this year's Panasonic X, S and G10 series give you the ability to adjust contrast, brightness, color, tint and white settings in a simple & basic fashion. These adjustments will satisfy most consumers without confusing them. The upcoming V series will have more control in the user menus like seperate red, blue and green adjustments. The V series will also offer more picture modes like Studio Reference. If you like lots to tweak with, then you should wait for the V series (2" thick) or the Z series (1" thick). As for having a great/fantastic picture with User settings alone, I can't answer. I'm still in the process of conditioning the panel with the slideshow. Many forum members on the G10 Owners thread seem very happy with their displays using only User Menu settings since "offsets", though eagerly awaited, have not been made available. Once you have adjusted User Menu settings for an input I think it will retain that setting for that input. For sure the Custom mode can be set and remembered for each input.

In the Service Menu the main adjustment is the White Balance. The Service Menu's adjustments are shown in a hexidecimal(?) format, not the 0-100 or +/- 30 or 50 with 0 being the center. As for a better picture from the Service Menu, from what I've been reading on the forums this is where calibrators align settings to bring the display as close to right as is possible and then go to the User Menu to make the final adjustments. Some forum members are calibrators and at times they will post "offsets" for Service Menu adjustments. These consist of a + or - followed by a number indicating how many clicks of the Volume control and in what direction. If you are going into the Service Menu, write down all settings before making any adjustments and don't touch the Volume + or - on the remote until you are ready to make adjustments. Once adjustments are made they remain until you re-enter and re-adjust.
post #921 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm sure you can get a picture you'll be happy with with the user menu.

But from what I can tell from these calibrators that post here you will get the best picture by going into the service menu, or they would just calibrate it from the user menu.

Yes the SM offsets will defenitly be locked and you won't need to do it again. I mean its really not a big deal to go in there. If your remotely tech savvy then its no big deal. Just know that the volume keys are what change values so dont touch them until your ready.

THen again for someone that has to read a manual everytime they buy an electronic product to learn how to use it. (not saying this is you or a bad thing) Then maybe they should just stay out.

IMO the best thing to do is set it up with some user menu settings, if your happy with it then enjoy your tv. If you see an issue like a green hue on skin maybe you'll want to try the offsets.
post #922 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM

I just want to say Thank You to Fred801 and Whiteboy714 for their reply.

It is reassuring that I can obtain a great picture and not risk damaging the plasma by entering the service menu.

I already have Evangelo2's break-in DVD and my plan is to buy the 54V10.

After I save the money I will have the plasma ISF calibrated but until then I will follow whatever information I can get from here and other places. I, along with everyone else, am looking forward to what D-Nice has to say about the V10 series.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jim
post #923 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 PM

I posted this earlier, but most seem to have just ignored it and I'm pretty sure it corrects the buzzing issue with some of these sets:

To those of you that are experiencing a ridiculously loud buzz(like ringing almost), simply wiggle the small plastic pegs located on the top rear corners of the panel(directly beneath the screw). After that, all you should hear is the fans. If it doesn't fix the problem, you may have more serious issues. Enjoy!
post #924 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM

i just finished the 120hr break-in and have applied the cinema settings on my 42x1....i am very please with the results...they are very realistic......it's a little dark on TV input since i cannot change the Black Level to Light....i wil give it a try with a blu-ray movie tonight though
post #925 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM

How do you check the hours used on the G10? I tried holding volume down and clicking info 3 times and it didnt work. Thanks
post #926 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post

How do you check the hours used on the G10? I tried holding volume down and clicking info 3 times and it didnt work. Thanks

are you holding the volume - on the tv itself?
post #927 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_ View Post

are you holding the volume - on the tv itself?

Thanks, I was clicking the remote. When I first went into Service Mode to check the hours used, by mistake I clicked the volume button on my remote a couple times to try to scroll down. I read after how your are not suppose to hit volume in service mode. I was in the main screen after holding volume and clicking info three times when i did this.

Did I mess the tv up? If so can I change it back?
post #928 of 4414 Old 05-16-2009, 06:44 PM

jps-Can't tell you if you've done any damage. BUT, before you even think of going back into the SM read post #183 of this thread many times. I saved it to my desktop and used it as a guide for my foray into the SM. Be sure to have paper and pen with you to write down everything you see just in case. If you go back in you can look at the opening page to see if anything is highlighted. If so that setting may have been changed-try to remember how many times you pressed Volume and in which direction. I haven't been in the SM much. I don't think that anything was highlighted on the opening Menu. I just remembered that post #183 referenced above was describing the X1 series and that the layout isn't exactly like the G10. The steps for navigating the SM are the same. I found the post very reassuring for that first trip in. After I had been in for a while copying settings, I realized what DNice meant about the Menu showing you how to navigate for each selection.
post #929 of 4414 Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Liked: 11
On the green preview screen before a trailer, I can see a faded bar for each line of letters. Anyone else experiencing this? I have a S1.
post #930 of 4414 Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

On the green preview screen before a trailer, I can see a faded bar for each line of letters. Anyone else experiencing this? I have a S1.

It's common to see this sometimes on a plasma TV, especially during a DVD's preview screen for some reason.

Search for discussions about "Line Bleed".

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page