Pioneer KRP Shipments and Damage Tracking Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1854 Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
arrived by R&L Carriers, bought from VE

perfect carton, until I turned it on out of the carton.

BUZZZZZZZ

Manufactured Dec 2008. VERY very faint white hairline crack (under the smooth surface ) on the top left corner, six inches. It can only be seen with a flashlight directly on THAT spot. The display looks fine in the garage or in the living room, the dark (OFF) screen looks perfect, even glancing at the reflection (mirror like) of the windows. Of course I'm bummed, Robert also understandably. A replacement is on the way. These 500M's are only 69 lbs.

Are they too fragile for their size?

A buddy, after watching the NHL on my 5020 downstairs 3 weeks ago, decided to purchase a used "perfect condition" Panasonic 42" 85z series (?) from an ebay seller for $600+. UPS shipped, insured, not in the original carton, but in layers of bubble wrap covered with cardboard, inside another slender box also filled with packing peanuts, then covered by six miles of packing tape. It arrived working perfectly.

Go figure.

I now know what a cracked plasma sounds like, and I know to be very extra careful and inspect every inch of the front panel (at least of the KRP models). This was my fourth (delivered) Kuro purchase (sold the two 8g's after 15 months), the 5020 was bought in FEB. ZERO problems on any of those until today's delivery. I'll go back and read this entire topic from the beginning now to see how others have fared. I only learned of the cracked 600M's from another online report.

Hopefully all is fine this time next week. To the buyers of the KRP, be very very careful and inspect every inch of the display panel - power on also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1854 Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
a little dissapointed to see robert go from two man inside delivery to ltl freight. delicate electronics and big rig freightline companies with alot of other stuff on board is a recipe for disaster. people have to understand, when you ship an item with these types of freightline companies, you are taking a high risk. these companies usually handle alot of bulk items and move and stack items as they see fit to fit more cargo on board. they also handle your items very roughly as most of the cargo they carry are not the kuro plasma type. i wouldnt be surprised if these plasmas were shipped out on a custom strapped pallet and arriving at the destination off the pallet and slid from the back like a bobsled upon arrival. plasma tvs have no business whatsoever being on an ltl freight truck. fedex freight is one exception. they dont pack the box to the brim and handle their items very carefully. they also have about 5 kinds of road freight services so there are not alot of mutt trucks roaming around.
post #453 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

600M left Pioneer yesterday and will be hitting West Coast Distributors today. East Coast will not have them until end of this week to early next week.
post #454 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

600M left Pioneer yesterday and will be hitting West Coast Distributors today. East Coast will not have them until end of this week to early next week.

Woo Hoo! I may yet get mine by my birthday this Friday ...

Casey
post #455 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talked to VE a few minutes ago, my 600M has not shipped but should be any time now. At least there's one at the Pio factory/distributor in LA with my name on it.

FWIW, my stand is shipping out today, so at least I can have that ready to use during the break-in disc and before wall mounting. I'll be trying a few different HDMI cables before its wall-mounted to make sure I have a sparkle/dropout-free connection. I was having issues with my Hitachi before I sold it, so I suspect the dropouts were due to multiple HDMI connections along the signal path.

Looking forward to reading reports of shipments arriving safely...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #456 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Sucks that this has to be my first post. But my 500M arrived from Vanns today, with a 3/4 of an inch crack in the top left corner. At first look, it looked fine, but the flashlight test revealed the crack. The delivery person (YRC) stayed behind while I called Vanns, who advised me to refuse the delivery. They also confirmed that they had more displays in stock.

btw, I could never tell if the crack was on the inside or the outside of the panel. I tried to feel it with my nail, but couldn't feel it.

KRP-500M
post #457 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Talked to VE a few minutes ago, my 600M has not shipped but should be any time now. At least there's one at the Pio factory/distributor in LA with my name on it.

Ah good, then I won't bother Robert as well. Mine should be shipping near the same time as yours.

Quote:
FWIW, my stand is shipping out today, so at least I can have that ready to use during the break-in disc and before wall mounting. I'll be trying a few different HDMI cables before its wall-mounted ...

So you're getting both the stand and a wall mount? Which wall mount are you going to use? Robert has been trying to find a Pioneer KRP-WM01 for me but I have a feeling that I may well need to have a fallback plan ...

Quote:
... to make sure I have a sparkle/dropout-free connection. I was having issues with my Hitachi before I sold it, so I suspect the dropouts were due to multiple HDMI connections along the signal path.

Interesting. During the short time that I had my friend's 5th or 6th generation Panasonic 50" 720p commercial monitor at my house I noticed that I would eventually get "sparkles" on the display when it was directly connected to my Denon 3930ci via HDMI. But it would usually be okay when things were first powered up. I assumed that some component in the [very short] path was heating up and having problems -- I assumed that it would most likely be the Denon but I had no proof of any component being the culprit. I guess I'll have to hope that the combination of the Oppo BD83, a brand new 8' HDMI cable from Blue Jeans and the 600M don't have this issue ...

Casey
post #458 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejuvinator View Post

Sucks that this has to be my first post. But my 500M arrived from Vanns today, with a 3/4 of an inch crack in the top left corner. At first look, it looked fine, but the flashlight test revealed the crack. The delivery person (YRC) stayed behind while I called Vanns, who advised me to refuse the delivery. They also confirmed that they had more displays in stock.

btw, I could never tell if the crack was on the inside or the outside of the panel. I tried to feel it with my nail, but couldn't feel it.

Was it delivered on a pallet? Also, how did the box look?
post #459 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Was it delivered on a pallet? Also, how did the box look?

I inspected the box and it looked just fine.

The bottom was on a Styrofoam base that extended on both sides of the panel. Two other styrofoam pieces covered the top corners. The Pioneer cardboard box went over this, and it was all wrapped in some kind of shrink wrap.

Update: If you were asking me if the package was transported from the truck to my house on a pallet, then no. The delivery person used a dolly for this.

KRP-500M
post #460 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The bottom was on a Styrofoam base that extended on both sides of the panel. Two other styrofoam pieces covered the top corners. The Pioneer cardboard box went over this, and it was all wrapped in some kind of shrink wrap.

Hm, sounds suspiciously like old packaging, from what I've read/seen pix on this thread. Can someone else chime in?

FREE TIBET! *
post #461 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedom View Post

So you're getting both the stand and a wall mount? Which wall mount are you going to use? Robert has been trying to find a Pioneer KRP-WM01 for me but I have a feeling that I may well need to have a fallback plan ...

I'm getting the stand in case I need it in the future. Who knows if these can be found a year from now. For the interim, the 600M will sit on my rack so that I can try out various cable/connections (see my other post for more info) before mounting on the wall.

I already have a wall mount that I used with my Hitachi 55HDX99, which weighed a bit more than 600M. I have the Peerless OneMount and have been very happy with it. And it will also fit the 600M... Heavy duty for beefy panels, and spans across three studs for extra security. It's at Amazon for a buck-twenty at the moment.

...and as you can see from my attached pic, I'm really anxious to get the 600M delivered safely!
LL

FREE TIBET! *
post #462 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post

arrived by R&L Carriers, bought from VE

perfect carton, until I turned it on out of the carton.

BUZZZZZZZ

Manufactured Dec 2008. VERY very faint white hairline crack (under the smooth surface ) on the top left corner, six inches.

Quote:

Sucks that this has to be my first post. But my 500M arrived from Vanns today, with a 3/4 of an inch crack in the top left corner.

Sorry to hear the bad news guys. Hopefully, the next ones will be ok.

Does anyone know if the 500M was also supposed to be repackaged, or just the 600M?

UPDATED!
post #463 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Update: If you were asking me if the package was transported from the truck to my house on a pallet, then no. The delivery person used a dolly for this.

That's how my packaging was from Vanns. Mine was delivered by Fed Ex freight though but I don't know if that makes a difference. The guy was pretty rude to my wife when she wanted to open the box. The top of the box had some noticeable dents in it so she wanted to be sure. I think it arrived on a pallet but like your set, it was transported via dolly to the curb. I know when I got my 5020 in January this guy showed up in an up old van and slid my tv out. He literally dropped it before I ran out to help him. The corner of the box hit the ground with a decent amount of force and I was sure it was broken. Everything was good though.
post #464 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Does anyone know if the 500M was also supposed to be repackaged, or just the 600M?

UPDATED!

I believe just the 600M, I don't think the 500 or any of the other Pioneers were having this problem.
post #465 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

UPDATED!

I believe just the 600m's. As far as I can tell, the packaging on the 500m is pretty good. Now if it was mishandled by the carrier I can definitely see it getting damaged. Honestly though it was packaged better than my 5080 or 5020.
post #466 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, news like these two damaged shipments makes my stomach sick. If the shipping companies had to cough up the cash for the damages, I bet they'd train their delivery people a lot better...

FREE TIBET! *
post #467 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

That's how my packaging was from Vanns. Mine was delivered by Fed Ex freight though but I don't know if that makes a difference. The guy was pretty rude to my wife when she wanted to open the box. The top of the box had some noticeable dents in it so she wanted to be sure. I think it arrived on a pallet but like your set, it was transported via dolly to the curb. I know when I got my 5020 in January this guy showed up in an up old van and slid my tv out. He literally dropped it before I ran out to help him. The corner of the box hit the ground with a decent amount of force and I was sure it was broken. Everything was good though.

My guy from YRC was extremely friendly. He waited while I got on the phone with Vanns (5 mt wait time), so he could take it back right away if needed. The flashlight test was a revelation to him, and he said he'll remember that for his next plasma delivery.

I had my doubts if it was an actual problem, because after all, it was a small crack, and I had not even bothered to power up the panel. But the delivery guy saw it, and wrote down "Crack on top left corner of display" on his sheet, and that proved to be added reassurance.

KRP-500M
post #468 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the shipping companies had to cough up the cash for the damages, I bet they'd train their delivery people a lot better...

I agree 100%
post #469 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guy from YRC was extremely friendly. He waited while I got on the phone with Vanns (5 mt wait time), so he could take it back right away if needed. The flashlight test was a revelation to him, and he said he'll remember that for his next plasma delivery.

I had my doubts if it was an actual problem, because after all, it was a small crack, and I had not even bothered to power up the panel. But the delivery guy saw it, and wrote down "Crack on top left corner of display" on his sheet, and that proved to be added reassurance.

it's a sealed panel. if it's cracked then it's doa. Thats' also why even if you don't notice any cracks you should power it on to make sure it's not doa from a hidden/overlooked crack.

glad you caught it and that made for an easy return. it's just a numbers game, sorry you got unlucky but hope the next one is pristine and pixel perfect for you.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #470 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 03:00 PM

this sucks to hear as there are more 500Ms coming up with cracks in them. I would love it one day, that the dealer would open the box up and showed the delivery company, and say "here, no cracks. now if there's cracks when it shows up at my customer's doors, then your company will have to pay for this". just imagine how careful they will be then!

good luck to those who have to get replacement panels again.
post #471 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

seems the 600m cracks were due to the packaging and the 500m cracks are coming from mishandlement. im starting to think the krp series has been bastardized. yes, i said bastardized. lol anyone up for a game of scrabble?
post #472 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

this sucks to hear as there are more 500Ms coming up with cracks in them. I would love it one day, that the dealer would open the box up and showed the delivery company, and say "here, no cracks. now if there's cracks when it shows up at my customer's doors, then your company will have to pay for this". just imagine how careful they will be then!

Life would be so easy if it worked that way and I am not just talking about KRP's
post #473 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Wow, here come the cracked 500ms. My cracked 500m from Vanns was also packaged like this.

I should be receiving a notice from them this week about a new one being shipped out.
post #474 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Robert/Wendy have been great, apologized for any inconvenience by email and stated the replacement is on the way, FRI likely delivery. My first 500M was a perfect carton, strapped onto a pallet. I helped the driver carry the carton from the truck into the garage (its lightweight).

I read this entire thread last night, kinda depressing. Only if I would of read everything last week, I very well may have just bought a second 5020 instead.

Obvious observation:

My two month old 5020 carton is still in the garage awaiting to be put up. Its 4.5" taller, thicker than the KRP 500 carton, they both appear to have the similar type of Styrofoam as a full base and the upper corners. The dbl thick cardboard corner was across the length of the lower FRONT Styrofoam. The KRP is on the pallet - see pix.

I wonder:
Are the Signature monitors just as faulty, packed in a similar smaller carton ?
Is the same glass thickness used in all Kuro's - other plasma brands?
Would Pio every admit to any faulty panel % ratio for their product ?
Would any vendor, Pio retailer or not?
I was told/heard the 5020 & the 500M cost the DEALER about 3 bills less than what BB is selling the 5020 for right now. Are the damaged panels a big loss for the vendors ? (did I just commit a foul mentioning assumed cost - but not mentioning the actual price?)
This forum link MUST be causing some customers to reconsider the KRP, hopefully towards a 5020 or another plasma - plasma does NOT need anymore negative rumors.
Its true : only 2500 of the 50" and 500 of the 60" were manufactured?
All four 500M cracked panels listed within this link, the crack was in the upper L corner ?

I will power on my new KRP while its inside the box, with the driver watching, on FRI. EVERY new buyer should do the same, I'm suggesting. Updated this week as needed. Best of luck!

(my worry free 5020 sure looks terrific)
LL
LL
post #475 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My two month old 5020 carton is still in the garage awaiting to be put up. Its 4.5" taller, thicker than the KRP 500 carton, they both appear to have the similar type of Styrofoam as a full base and the upper corners. The dbl thick cardboard corner was across the length of the lower FRONT Styrofoam. The KRP is on the pallet - see pix.

That's quite the difference between the two boxes. Glad that your 500M arrived safely...

Quote:

Its true : only 2500 of the 50" and 500 of the 60" were manufactured?

Can anyone confirm? Or where did you get this info? That's a small lot of the 600Ms...

FREE TIBET! *
post #476 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Can anyone confirm? Or where did you get this info? That's a small lot of the 600Ms...

Its more than that. But how many were damaged? Either way I hope it changes with the re packaging and new units showing up soon.
post #477 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM

That's quite the difference between the two boxes. Glad that your 500M arrived safely...

not so, THAT KRP carton includes the cracked version from Monday's delivery - it'll be returned when the replacement arrives FRI (hopefully only ONE being returned)

from one of three sources I've read, accurate (?) - http://www.displayblog.com/2009/03/2...to-3000-units/

quote : The new news is that Pioneer will continue to manufacture just four models until April 11, 2009. That's not a lot of time. And those lucky models? KRP-500A, KRP-500M, KRP-600A, KRP-600M. Pioneer will make 2500 units of the 50" models (KRP-500A and KRP-500M) and just 500 of the 60" models (KRP-600A, KRP-600M) and then will completely exit the TV businesses. The company will honor warranty claims until 2017: clearly in Japan but elsewhere... not so clear.
post #478 of 1854 Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

anybody ever worry about getting a panel that does work and it then stop working prematurely from the transport? like a year down the road? this is whats in the back of my mind. and with the warranties being unclear, im double worried.
post #479 of 1854 Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

not so, THAT KRP carton includes the cracked version from Monday's delivery - it'll be returned when the replacement arrives FRI (hopefully only ONE being returned)

Oops, my bad. Guess I've been reading some postings too fast... Good luck w/ the next delivery.

FREE TIBET! *
post #480 of 1854 Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM

So, no reports of 600M's starting to ship yet? (He said with a hopeful tone ... )

Casey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page