Pioneer KRP Shipments and Damage Tracking Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1854 Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after waiting 3 days whilst Fedex "got it's money's worth" (see earlier post), the 141fd arrived today from VE. I had ordered a 600m earlier, but with all the cracked glass and questionable inventory, I switched to a 141fd. Still nervous about having it shipped clear across the country, my fears were immediately put to rest when the very nice Fedex driver opened the truck. The box was entirely shrink-wrapped and securely fastened to an oversized pallet, with no visible signs of damage. No liftgate on the truck (!), so I helped him take it down and dolly it up my driveway to the garage. Opened the box, swear I heard the 2001 theme playing somewhere, and took a look at a beautifully intact panel. Inspected every inch with a flashlight - no visible cracks. Plugged it in, turned it on...nothing.

*sigh*

But then, reading the manual, I realized there is a master POWER SWITCH that needs to be turned on before the on/off switch will work. Flipped it on, pressed the 'on' switch and the "No Signal" flashed on the panel, immediately taking me to my happy place. The panel has a very slight buzz from the rear, but nothing that normal listening levels doesn't overcome from about 5-6 feet (my viewing distance is 12ft.)

Tried to tip the driver, he refused with a smile. I couldn't have imagined a better experience. The dude waited for nearly 20 minutes while I inspected and finally got it going. It almost makes up for them keeping it on their dock a mere 12 miles from my house for 3 days.

Breaking it in with full screen 16x9 programming, will run slides later on. First up was the Blu Ray of Blue Planet, played back from my PS3 through the accompanying Elite SC-05 receiver. Simply awesome. I doubt I'll see my cat for a few days after the rumble of the Space Shuttle blasting off.

Thanks, Robert and Wendy, for turning a sketchy situation (600m order) into a good one. You rock.

Good luck, everyone!

DdV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1854 Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krik View Post

My 600m is coming from Kentucky via Fed Ex freight. I'm off next Wednesday so I'll schedule for that day. I believe Tim McCune used the same dealer I did so I'm hoping Fed Ex Freight has a good track record with delivering these tv's.

ditto ditto ditto.

I wish mine was coming from Colorado like eehtee's but alas, I'm another one from Kentucky via FedEx Freight. ETA next Wednesday. I'm in LA so it has a long way to go

So, I'm at Stage 0. Once it arrives, what's the usual drill? Make the FedEx guy stand around while I/we tear open the box just enough to find the master switch and the on/off switch, hit the master and then the on/off and pray I'll see "No Signal" on the screen?
post #993 of 1854 Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

ditto ditto ditto.

I wish mine was coming from Colorado like eehtee's but alas, I'm another one from Kentucky via FedEx Freight. ETA next Wednesday. I'm in LA so it has a long way to go

So, I'm at Stage 0. Once it arrives, what's the usual drill? Make the FedEx guy stand around while I/we tear open the box just enough to find the master switch and the on/off switch, hit the master and then the on/off and pray I'll see "No Signal" on the screen?

Mine was from Colorado and it is sitting at the DATS Trucking warehouse in Sacramento. I am working through Monday so I can't take delivery until next Tuesday. When they called to arrange delivery, they know it is a plasma HDTV. It's sitting on a pallet and I reminded them that the driver has to wait until I check for damage and turn it on and he understood. Not to be pessimistic, but if it is damaged, does the trucking company repackage it?
post #994 of 1854 Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinn View Post

Mine was from Colorado and it is sitting at the DATS Trucking warehouse in Sacramento. I am working through Monday so I can't take delivery until next Tuesday. When they called to arrange delivery, they know it is a plasma HDTV. It's sitting on a pallet and I reminded them that the driver has to wait until I check for damage and turn it on and he understood. Not to be pessimistic, but if it is damaged, does the trucking company repackage it?

I didn't have to repack it since mine was OK but, just to pass along what I learned in my ignorance: Once the shrink wrap is off and the "bands" around the box are cut, the entire top section just lifts off in one piece. I started trying to cut tape to open the box before the driver corrected me. So, you can just lift it the entire top (full box-size) up to get to your set and all the interior packing is there to be easily replaced if you have a problem. It can be put right back together with all but the bands and shrink wrap - good enough to transport a broken set.

We put the packing material back in to protect it before moving it from the carport to the house.
post #995 of 1854 Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

ditto ditto ditto.

Recent poster, long-time reader here on AVS.

I too am another one hoping for a safe FedEx freight delivery of a 600M from the Kentucky warehouse to here in SoCal. *fingers crossed*
Mine is estimated to reach here Tuesday.
post #996 of 1854 Old 06-06-2009, 01:42 PM

.500 = If I were a major leaguer I'd be making 30 mil a year, playing for the Yankees, dating over-the-hill diva songstresses, injecting myself with growth hormone, staring at my home runs...and likely choking like a '38 Ford in the playoffs. But I'm not, so I'll settle for one freshly delivered 600M (last one was cracked like a hard-boiled egg within grabbing distance of Rosie O'Donnell after a 30-minute hunger strike). So far--REPEAT, so far--it's in good condition. No cracks. Powers up. Standing by...

--OCE
post #997 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I will be moving in a few years, (don't know exactly when), but it will almost surely be in the life of the new TV.

Yesterday, I decided to go with the 500m, but now I am reconsidering, thinking this TV is probably more likely to be broken by the movers.

I know movers vary, but in general, what do you think?

I may have to go with a 5020 instead, just for the packaging; who woulda thunk it.
post #998 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM

If you keep the box you should be fine. WOnt they insure it anyway.
post #999 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

I always keep the boxes of all of our a/v components, but insurance doesn't equal a replacement 500m. It would be claim process, and, if it would work out, one would get an amortized value reimbursement. Who knows how good of a TV that would buy me. IOW, I really don't want the TV to be broken. In essence, I am asking how does that freight carrier's (from a good vendor, but I realize the freight carriers vary anyway) treatment of TV differ from a good mover (good but still flawed)?
post #1000 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 AM

It always depends on the people simple as that. If they are negligent it doesn't matter if it is a 5020 or krp etc.
post #1001 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Sure, I realize that, but with all of the damages, (even the 500m is getting damaged way too often), I am thinking the 500m certainly has a better chance of being damaged than a 5020; how much better, as when transported by a mover, I don't know.
post #1002 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Dont know who can give you a better answer but they all get damaged and when 5020's were around they did as well. Its a numbers game unfortunately but I understand your point the 5020 does have a little better packaging so its your call.
post #1003 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Roman. I will certainly read more about the 5020 box/packaging more, before I decide. I will also try to estimate better when I think I may move. The sooner I move, the more unhappy I would be, if the TV were to be broken.
post #1004 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I will be moving in a few years, (don't know exactly when), but it will almost surely be in the life of the new TV.

Yesterday, I decided to go with the 500m, but now I am reconsidering, thinking this TV is probably more likely to be broken by the movers.

I know movers vary, but in general, what do you think?

I may have to go with a 5020 instead, just for the packaging; who woulda thunk it.

I received the 600M yesterday...and I'm moving in less than two weeks. Moving far away. I had to buy the TV now for that reason, and because my Sony LCD crapped out (beyond repair). I move a lot because of my job, so this is no big deal. What it will allow me to do is reinforce the admittedly flimsy, unstable packaging that came with this TV (what was Pioneer thinking?). And also, from my numerous moving experiences, while it is definitely dependent on the individuals (and the companies) doing the packing and hauling, they are generally a little more conscientious than regular delivery folks. And in my case, the packers are sometimes a separate company from the movers. That has its good and bad points, the good being the packers in that situation are very good at what they do. They also treat particularly valuable items with a bit more reverence than your other stuff, and single out HDTVs specifically.

Then again, moving is moving, whether it's your entire household goods or just the TV via a delivery service. So the more you're out and about, the more chances you have of seeing damage. You just have to do the best you can and pray. All that said, I wouldn't base my TV model decision on packaging. That seems a little strange to me, even with Pioneer's packaging/breakage issues.

--OCE
post #1005 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I wasn't basing my TV purchase decision on the packaging, rather, I just thought of it yesterday, as a factor to consider. Seeing as the 5020 is relatively close to the 500M, it wouldn't be that much of a compromise. I have read about the differences already, so people don't have to inform me about them. I do want the 500M very much, and I am still favoring getting it, as of now, but still thinking about it; and, I do know time is of the essence.
post #1006 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 PM

I just got my 600M in good shape.

Manufacture date: January 2009
Packaging: not sure. maybe old packing?
Pallet: no pallet. (proobably had pallet in the truck?)
Vendor: Monitor Outlet (10/10 great!)
Delivery: Pilot Air (2 man, delivery guys are very helpful. waited for inspection. They were ok with sign AFTER inspection.)

No visible cracks, "no input" appeared on screen
post #1007 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

welcome to avs and congrats on the new 600M.

enjoy your new Pioneer plasma.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1008 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts. I wasn't basing my TV purchase decision on the packaging, rather, I just thought of it yesterday, as a factor to consider. Seeing as the 5020 is relatively close to the 500M, it wouldn't be that much of a compromise.

I believe there are certain significant advantages to the KRP un-Elite versus the non-Elite displays. I'd get a KRP and when it comes time to move just double-box it with some compliant foam between them and strap it to a pallet. A tip sensor, some replacement value insurance and Bob's your uncle.
post #1009 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I wasn't basing my TV purchase decision on the packaging, rather, I just thought of it yesterday, as a factor to consider.

I believe you, but I was only responding to what you wrote earlier in the thread:
Quote:

That sounds like you're basing your decision between two models "just for the packaging" rather than "as a factor to consider," hence my mild surprise. No big deal.

Either way, I'm only giving my TV choice v. risk factor opinion. I've seen both in [calibrated] action and I preferred the 600M over the 6020. That's just me personally. The 6020 is still a great TV, so it's not that big a deal. You really can't lose with Pioneer plasmas. Plus, there may be less of a difference with the 50" models, I don't know. It's all based on personal preference and I'm sure for many there aren't any appreciable differences, in which case (all other things being equal) making a decision based on packaging, or as one consideration, would be wise. But--and this is just my opinion--if I did notice a difference and had a preference, I'd go with that model regardless of packaging. And this is from someone who experienced a broken set. From everything I've heard (I was dealing with four separate vendors), the broken set issue is far more intensified here on the board than out in the world, as we've all seen before.

--OCE
post #1010 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I believe there are certain significant advantages to the KRP un-Elite versus the non-Elite displays. I'd get a KRP and when it comes time to move just double-box it with some compliant foam between them and strap it to a pallet. A tip sensor, some replacement value insurance and Bob's your uncle.

I didn't think about double-boxing it, and all the rest. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Express View Post

I believe you, but I was only responding to what you wrote earlier in the thread:

That sounds like you're basing your decision between two models "just for the packaging" rather than "as a factor to consider," hence my mild surprise. No big deal.

Either way, I'm only giving my TV choice v. risk factor opinion. I've seen both in [calibrated] action and I preferred the 600M over the 6020.

Thanks for the opinions. I really meant that the packaging was one factor, but that it seemed to be quite problematic, as to possibly sway my decision. However, now I realise, once it is here, I can make provisions to fortify the packaging of the TV to move it.

---------------------

OK, you guys convinced me, I'll go with the 500M.
post #1011 of 1854 Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdv View Post

Thanks, Robert and Wendy, for turning a sketchy situation (600m order) into a good one. You rock.

Congrats on your 141FD and enjoy that beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Express View Post

600M. So far--REPEAT, so far--it's in good condition. No cracks. Powers up. Standing by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksner View Post

I just got my 600M in good shape. No visible cracks, "no input" appeared on screen

updated!
post #1012 of 1854 Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

My 600m is scheduled for home delivery via Fed Ex Freight this Wednesday between 10am and 2pm. Wish me luck.
post #1013 of 1854 Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM

I got my 600M last week in good shape.

Manufacture date: ?
Packaging: ?
Pallet: no pallet
Vendor: Monitor Outlet (8/10 Ok)
Delivery: Pilot Air (2 man, delivery guys are very helpful. waited for inspection. They were ok with sign AFTER inspection.)

No visible cracks, "no input" appeared on screen.

I am somewhat satisfied with Monitor Outlet. The delivery and product is great. However, after the purchase they seemed to have dropped off the earth. I emailed them questions about the warranty. No response. During shipment I emailed about delivery times or tracking info. No response. Maybe my emails are getting caught in their spam filter? They answered them when I had my cash in hand so who knows..?
post #1014 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 View Post

I got my 600M last week in good shape.

Manufacture date: ?
Packaging: ?
Pallet: no pallet
Vendor: Monitor Outlet (8/10 Ok)

No visible cracks, "no input" appeared on screen....

congrats on the new 600M.

the manuf. date is located on a sticker on the box or also a sticker on the rear of the panel with the serial #.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1015 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 AM

I got a kpr500m from Abes of Main.Trucking by ICAT.It arrived cracked 5 days ago.So i refused delivery still waiting for refund but in the mean time bought a PN50B860 and it is gorgeous
post #1016 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Another good delivery from Robert and VE, thanks. Pixels look good, no objectionable noises.

Chuck
post #1017 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Roman is 2 for 2! DATS Trucking delivered my 600M this morning around 1030.
Box was strapped to pallet. We opened it in the truck, NO CRACKS!! beautiful panel. With a forklift jack, we pushed it up to the front of the house and then he helped me carry it into the front room even though he said his company does not allow them to enter a customer's home. Powered on with no signal message. Running break in DVD now. I tipped the driver $20 since he helped me carry it in the house even though he wasn't suppose to. I am so relieved it arrived in perfect condition. Only the bottom left corner of the box was pushed in a little. After reading about all the cracked screens, I was really worried.
Thanks again Roman!!
post #1018 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Enjoy
post #1019 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Just received my Pro 141 FD.

I guess luck is just not on my side. The TV was worse than the KRP I received last week. The box looked like it had been thru a demolition derby.
Once again, not strapped to a pallet, not even strapped to the side of the truck.
On my next attempt, Im going to request an early morning delivery, in the hopes that my tv is the first thing delivered, and there is less chance of it being damaged or moved around.
post #1020 of 1854 Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM

THe big thing I noticed lately is that all of the ones that are coming unbroken are on the pallet all the way.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page