Extended warranty: Specifically Geek Squad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a panny 50 inch x1 soon, probably from best buy and I see I can get black tie protection for about 150 or so, it isnt THAT much more than mack or CPS and its for 4 years. Has anyone used the black tie warranty from best buy? Are they as good as mack and CPS? I have no idea where to begin on buying mack or CPS if I need too and I figured this would be easy as I can just buy it right at the store and be done with it, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fors View Post

I am buying a panny 50 inch x1 soon, probably from best buy and I see I can get black tie protection for about 150 or so, it isnt THAT much more than mack or CPS and its for 4 years. Has anyone used the black tie warranty from best buy? Are they as good as mack and CPS? I have no idea where to begin on buying mack or CPS if I need too and I figured this would be easy as I can just buy it right at the store and be done with it, thanks.

The biggest objection about BB warranties are the price. In this case, it is reasonable for 4 years coverage. The nice thing about BB's coverage is that it covers power surge and lightning damage. I live in Florida and it's always a concern.

I'm a big advocate of EW's, they have saved me a lot of money over the years. They also serve as a marketing tool if you ever want to upgrade to another TV and sell your existing set. It's easy to sell a used TV with a warranty, especially from a well know retailer, like BB.

Be aware that many on here hate BB and wouldn't advise getting anything from them. I currently have a 2+year old Panasonic Plasma, purchased at Best Buy(Black Friday deal)and I have the 4 year warranty. I am very happy with it(never had to use it)and it gives me peace of mind. I love my Panny but wish it would blow up so I could get a new Panny(darn those reliable Panasonics)sooner than August.

I'm sure you can save a few bucks with Mack or Repair Master or some other company, but I'd take the BB waranty, at that price point.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, anyone else? Perhaps someone that has had to use the warranty? I would like to know how their service is, this is my first HDTV ever and will be my first warranty purchase on anything so I just wanna make sure its all good.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Liked: 13
i always get EW incase something bad happens ur covered.

Pioneer Elite 111FD and Onkyo 6100B 7.1
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info, anyone else? Perhaps someone that has had to use the warranty? I would like to know how their service is, this is my first HDTV ever and will be my first warranty purchase on anything so I just wanna make sure its all good.

I have used their warranties on other products, not TV's, and it's top notch. Like I said earlier, the complaints about their EW's have nothing to do with service, just price. Here's an example, I had a large capacity Tivo, under BB EW. The thing crapped out on me and I had the EW. Tivo stopped making the larger size Tivo. BB could have just replaced the Tivo with the only model left, a smaller size Hard Drive and a lot cheaper. They told they would give me a store credit(a gift card that can be used at any BB store or the website)
for the full amount of my purchase, plus a pro rated amount for the cost of the EW. They could have just replaced it with the cheaper TIVO, but they gave me an option. I took that store credit and later applied it to a Panasonic Blu Ray player purchase.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I believe their Black Tie warranty overlaps the manufacturer's warranty, giving you only 3 years, but giving you a total of 4 years with manufacturer's warranty.

Chris
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

I believe their Black Tie warranty overlaps the manufacturer's warranty, giving you only 3 years, but giving you a total of 4 years with manufacturer's warranty.

Chris

Yep and that's one area that I wish they would clean up and just sell it legit as a 3 year extended warranty as to often people get the perception that they are getting 4 years on top of their 1 year warranty. It's not just BB either as all the warranty places seem to use this gimmick in offering their extended warranties. To me it's deception and they know exactly what they are doing.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Chris

The difference is that you don't have to contact the manufacturer with the Black Tie, just contact BB and they take care of it.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Chris

And only 2 years with the Kuro elite. The BB warranty was almost double what the Mack warranty is.

On a side note, I had a BB warranty on the first Tivo HD DVR's which were a $1000 when they came out, it died and I went into the store and they gave me 2 Direct HD DVR's (Hr20s) and refunded $400 onto my BB card. Thanks BB!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Yep and that's one area that I wish they would clean up and just sell it legit as a 3 year extended warranty as to often people get the perception that they are getting 4 years on top of their 1 year warranty. It's not just BB either as all the warranty places seem to use this gimmick in offering their extended warranties. To me it's deception and they know exactly what they are doing.

There is an exception, when it comes to coverage. Most manufacture warranties don't cover lightning and power surge problems and the Black Tie will cover it. So if this happened in the first year the BT would supercede the MW and cover it, so in essence, they are covering you for 4 years. I live in Florida and this is a very real problem with electronics. This also is prevelant in digital cameras, where "sand" issues won't be covered in a MW, but Black Tie will cover it. In Florida, going to the beach is normal and without abuse, you can get sand in the device.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

The difference is that you don't have to contact the manufacturer with the Black Tie, just contact BB and they take care of it.

Somewhat misleading as well. You will have to contact a 1 (800) number, as its not as easy calling a local store and having it picked up.

Quote:

In-Home Repair

Call 1-800-Geek Squad for major appliances, large TVs & select computers. In some cases, the product may need to be removed from the home for repair.

Chris
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Somewhat misleading as well. You will have to contact a 1 (800) number, as its not as easy calling a local store and having it picked up.

Chris

That's to schedule an "appointment" for in home service, not to debate the merits of "if" it should be repaired by the manufacturer. Technically you are correct on "large" devices(not contacting the store), but it's a world of difference between the contrasting phone calls. If you had to contact Samsung, for instance, it wouldn't be just one phone call and it probably wouldn't be a routine call.

All I said in my original post was you had to call BB, the 800# is part of BB. I don't know how if would be harder to dial the 800#, more numbers to dial? I can tell you from practical experience that it's light years easier than trying to "win your case" on a MW.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The nice thing about Black Tie is that they protect you from dead pixels too.
If you have 3 dead pixels in any 1 square inch area of the screen, they'll fix it or give you a new TV.