Samsung PN63B550 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1613 Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
emu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tonight I mounted the Samsung on the wall only to discover I misaligned one of the brackets on the TV (much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued) and it's not level. Ah well, tomorrow we'll take it back down, align the bracket on the back of the TV properly and all will be well. At least the wall plate is level, fixing that would suck.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask at what height has everyone mounted their TV? I followed the suggestion that I've read in many places which is that the middle of the TV should be roughly 40 - 45 inches from the ground. This makes it comfortable to watch from a couch without having to look up too much. I actually mounted it a few inches higher as we have a recliner and in the reclined position it would be more comfortable if the TV is a little higher.

The whole time my father in law was telling me "it's going to be too low" and then when my wife saw it mounted she said "it's too low. Why not just leave it on a stand?" Of course, if light sabers were real and I owned one I would have committed bloody murder right then and there and then headed to mexico sans TV, but alas they don't exist and my wife and her father are still happily living and breathing.

Everything I read said how people always mount flat panels too high, thinking of them as picture frames, not TVs. However, it does LOOK pretty low. What does everyone think? Did you mount your TV around 45" or did you mount it higher?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1613 Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 PM

emu,
my opinion is that 45" OK, although a bit high ?
I have my PS63B680 (European model) mounted on the wall and the bottom of the TV is about 25" from the floor.
Best way to do it, is to seat on your couch and estimate where the middle of the TV will be aligned with your eye height
post #363 of 1613 Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 PM
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYK48 View Post

emu,
my opinion is that 45" OK, although a bit high ?
I have my PS63B680 (European model) mounted on the wall and the bottom of the TV is about 25" from the floor.
Best way to do it, is to seat on your couch and estimate where the middle of the TV will be aligned with your eye height

Appreciate the reply Andy. Yeah, I did a rough calculation that my eyes would be around 42" when sitting so I went a bit higher to cater for the reclining couch. I believe I mounted it in the appropriate place based on what the professionals recommend. I went back and took another look at it with fresh eyes and decided I like where it's positioned. Feels comfortable. I'm just going to have to brace myself for numerous "why is it so low?" questions over the coming weeks.

As a side note... PS3 has a really cool visualizer that you can run while playing music. Looks amazing on this TV. Would be nice if Sony provided a few more, but the Gaia visualizer is impressive.
post #364 of 1613 Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post

what mount?

I used the Sanus VMP3L? I think thats the model number. I DID go to Lowes and get 4 m8x1.25x25mm bolts to use to mount the brackets to the TV. I thinkthe 40mm and 16mm that come with the mount would not work. I just used bolts instead of screwheads. Worked great.
post #365 of 1613 Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

Tonight I mounted the Samsung on the wall only to discover I misaligned one of the brackets on the TV (much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued) and it's not level. Ah well, tomorrow we'll take it back down, align the bracket on the back of the TV properly and all will be well. At least the wall plate is level, fixing that would suck.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask at what height has everyone mounted their TV? I followed the suggestion that I've read in many places which is that the middle of the TV should be roughly 40 - 45 inches from the ground. This makes it comfortable to watch from a couch without having to look up too much. I actually mounted it a few inches higher as we have a recliner and in the reclined position it would be more comfortable if the TV is a little higher.

The whole time my father in law was telling me "it's going to be too low" and then when my wife saw it mounted she said "it's too low. Why not just leave it on a stand?" Of course, if light sabers were real and I owned one I would have committed bloody murder right then and there and then headed to mexico sans TV, but alas they don't exist and my wife and her father are still happily living and breathing.

Everything I read said how people always mount flat panels too high, thinking of them as picture frames, not TVs. However, it does LOOK pretty low. What does everyone think? Did you mount your TV around 45" or did you mount it higher?

Thanks.

The bottom of my TV is 41" from the floor. Looks great in that location
post #366 of 1613 Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil4cyl View Post

I used the Sanus VMP3L? I think thats the model number. I DID go to Lowes and get 4 m8x1.25x25mm bolts to use to mount the brackets to the TV. I thinkthe 40mm and 16mm that come with the mount would not work. I just used bolts instead of screwheads. Worked great.

Cool. Looks like I can snag that mount on craiglist brandnew for $100. I offered $75.
post #367 of 1613 Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I have that mount. Is that the screw sizes needed? Making sure so I will have them to hang my 63 590 this weekend.
post #368 of 1613 Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Lil4cyl did you end up extending the wall plate and using the bracket extensions? And did you use the spacer/plugs (that came with the tv) when using the M8x1.25x25mm bolts? This information may help out others that has this Sanus mount or plan on getting one.
post #369 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post

I have that mount. Is that the screw sizes needed? Making sure so I will have them to hang my 63 590 this weekend.

Yes. I used m8x1.25x25mm bolts. Be sure to use the 4 washer/plugs that come with the tv to take up the space on the mounting holes on the tv. I just got regular bolts, and used a ratchet to put them in. Be sure not to tighten them too much. Just snug. Don't torque them down.
post #370 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Lil4cyl did you end up extending the wall plate and using the bracket extensions? And did you use the spacer/plugs (that came with the tv) when using the M8x1.25x25mm bolts? This information may help out others that has this Sanus mount or plan on getting one.

No, I did not have to use the extenders. The brackets worked just fine without them. And yes, I did use the spacers. They actually look like black washers. Worked great and it mounted solid. I did use the tilting brackets, so not sure if there are any differences on the flat brackets.. I would think they should be the same, mounting wise.
post #371 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Sorry, I reread you post. I did "spread" the wall bracket out as far as it would go so I would be able to use 3 studs to mount it on the wall. The bracket is actually off center a little from the tv centerpoint, but I was able to just slide the tv over to meet my marked center point on the wall. Worked out great. I didn't have to use the actual bracket extenders that come with the pack though. They match up exactly to the tv. 15.7" between holes on tv and brackets.
post #372 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM
emu

Quote:

Yes. I used m8x1.25x25mm bolts. Be sure to use the 4 washer/plugs that come with the tv to take up the space on the mounting holes on the tv. I just got regular bolts, and used a ratchet to put them in. Be sure not to tighten them too much. Just snug. Don't torque them down.

I was a little confused by those 4 washer/plugs that were included with the TV. With the Peerless ST680P they seemed useless. My assumption was that they are intended to fill the void between the mounting screw hole on the TV (which is recessed) and the bracket but yet they don't achieve that. In fact, they are just floating. So I wondered if perhaps they are useful for different mount designs but are not needed with the Peerless. Did I do something wrong?
post #373 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
emu

Just thought I'd write a post about my experience with the Peerless ST680P wall mount and mounting to metal studs. Might be useful to someone.

I picked up this mount as it came recommended and I like the fact that in the future I could expand up to a 102" flat panel and reuse the mount. I also liked that it was wide enough to span three studs. Since I'm mounting to metal studs I felt a lot more comfortable using three studs instead of two. I didn't use standed toggle bolts, instead I used a type that have a steel bolt and a steel toggle but doesn't fold in the center so it's more compact. It has nylon straps attached so after you push the "toggle" portion through the wall and the metal stud you then pull back on the nylon straps to pull the toggle tight against the inside of the metal stud. You then push a cap down the nylon straps until the cap is flush against the wall. At this point the toggle is now held tightly against the inside of the metal stud and you snap the nylon straps off at the wall. At any time you can simply screw the bolt through the nylon cap into the toggle on the inside of the stud. The advantage of this sort of anchor is that you can take the bolt out easily and you also don't need to stuggle to push a toggle bolt through the mounting plate and through the hole in the wall and stud etc. You set up ALL of the anchors ahead of time and then bolt down the mounting plate. I don't recall the brand but they are easy to spot in Home Depot or other hardware stores by the long nylon straps.

One word of caution is to be careful when screwing the bolt into the anchor, if you push too hard you can break the toggle off from the nylon straps and lose it in the wall.

I was originally going to mount a large piece of plywood to the studs first and then attach the mount to that, but after reading the instructions for the Peerless mount and thinking about it, it seemed that mounting directly to three studs using six wall anchors should be more than sufficient. So far, the mount seems VERY sold. I think the only way it will move is if the whole wall comes down. Your mileage my vary but this approach so far has worked well for me.

My only slightly negative experience with the Peerless mount is that once you have the TV hanging you have to squeeze your arm and a screw driver behind the TV to tighten up the security/safety screw on each bracket. It's a bit of a tight space to get into, but it's not too bad.
post #374 of 1613 Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

My only slightly negative experience with the Peerless mount is that once you have the TV hanging you have to squeeze your arm and a screw driver behind the TV to tighten up the security/safety screw on each bracket. It's a bit of a tight space to get into, but it's not too bad.

On my Sanus mount, the safety screws were pointing down, so all I had to do was use the included allen wrench to tighten them, although I just used my fingers to run them in.. pretty easy to get to, and it isn't going anywhere.

Edit: I did use the tilt brackets though, so I was able to tile the bottom out some. I couldn't imagine the PITA it would be with the flat mount to be able to make A/V connections on the back of the tv. That would suck.
post #375 of 1613 Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM

I just bought my first plasma, the Samsung pn63b550. I have noticed a small speck behind the glass about the size of a pixel. I can't really tell if it is debris or maybe an anomaly in the glass. It isn't noticeable past 5 or 6 feet and even then you have to be at the right angle and squinting to see it. I suspect if you inspected all glass TVs with a fine tooth comb, you'd find slight imperfections in most, if not all, of them. I have no dead pixels and everything else seems fine. Does anyone have any experience with this happening to them? How common do you think it is? Would Samsung replace the set for this minor of an issue? If I had it replaced, how much of a chance would there be of getting another with more problems? Thanks, just wondering what I should do.
post #376 of 1613 Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Does the artifact show up when the TV is off???
post #377 of 1613 Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

Does the artifact show up when the TV is off???

I can see it when I shine a flashlight at it when the tv is off. It is behind the glass and when I shine a flashlight on it, it will cast a very small shadow on the plasma pixels behind it.
post #378 of 1613 Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM

then it definitely sounds like an imperfection in the panel itself not a pixel illumination issue. If it bothers you, and I assume it does, then I'd call samsung right away and try to get them to replace it. I dont see anything like this in mine and I haven't heard of others with this issue... but honestly there aren't a ton of people with these TVs on the forums which is unfortunate.
post #379 of 1613 Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:

then it definitely sounds like an imperfection in the panel itself not a pixel illumination issue. If it bothers you, and I assume it does, then I'd call samsung right away and try to get them to replace it. I dont see anything like this in mine and I haven't heard of others with this issue... but honestly there aren't a ton of people with these TVs on the forums which is unfortunate.

I contacted Samsung and explained it to them. They told me that it wasn't an issue that they would send a service tech out on since is was very minor and didn't affect the picture. I was just wondering how many other plasmas would have a speck somewhere under the glass if you went through them with a fine tooth comb.
post #380 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:

I contacted Samsung again and they send a service request to a local service center. They are going to come take a look at the TV. I believe the only way to repair it would be to replace the plasma panel. Would it be much of a risk having them replace the panel vs just keeping the one I have? The speck is very small and I'm probably only worry about it because I know it's there. It doesn't affect viewing past 6 or 7 feet. Even closer you would have to know where to look to see it. If they can replace the panel and it will work just like a new one and I wouldn't have a problem with it then I would rather have it replaced. What do you think?
post #381 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Liked: 15
Well, panasonic has delayed the 65 v10 for another few months. So I'm going to get the samsung. Seems like the 63b550 does not have the buzz, correct?
post #382 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

Well, panasonic has delayed the 65 v10 for another few months. So I'm going to get the samsung. Seems like the 63b550 does not have the buzz, correct?

well mine started doing it and I've only had it several days. I thought it was a well known issue, but maybe not this model? I haven't followed all the posts. Mine makes the noise the loudest when a show goes to a mostly white screen. Funny thing is, when I press on the back of the TV above the power plug, it stops. It seems almost like a vibration noise that is enhanced by the metal on the back of the TV. SO maybe it's not a real electrical generated buzz. I gotta read on it some more. Otherwise, great TV so far. Breaking her in nicely.
post #383 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Correct

Oh, please! How can you say that the 63B550 doesn't have any buzz? As if this model is somehow immune unlike all the others. I'm sure there are plenty of 63B550's that buzz. There is a 63B590 down at my local Magnolia that buzzes like a beehive, even in movie mode. It's quite loud.
post #384 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM

My B590 has a very low buzz. I can hear it loudly when I stick my head behind the TV, but from listening position ~11ft away I don't notice it even during silent scenes. I also have a recliner that is only 5ft away and the buzz is barely audible unless I sit alone in silence without listening to anything.

The sound seems to come from the back rather than the screen itself. I'd bet that the sound of the buzz would be affected by how close the TV is to the wall as well as the room acoustics. Mine is currently about 14" from the wall and I have very high ceilings so maybe the sound is being dispersed more than if the TV were 3" from the wall and the room smaller. Just a thought.
post #385 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Oh, please! How can you say that the 63B550 doesn't have any buzz? As if this model is somehow immune unlike all the others. I'm sure there are plenty of 63B550's that buzz. There is a 63B590 down at my local Magnolia that buzzes like a beehive, even in movie mode. It's quite loud.

I have had no complaints yet....hope it stays that way.
post #386 of 1613 Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post

well mine started doing it and I've only had it several days. I thought it was a well known issue, but maybe not this model? I haven't followed all the posts. Mine makes the noise the loudest when a show goes to a mostly white screen. Funny thing is, when I press on the back of the TV above the power plug, it stops. It seems almost like a vibration noise that is enhanced by the metal on the back of the TV. SO maybe it's not a real electrical generated buzz. I gotta read on it some more. Otherwise, great TV so far. Breaking her in nicely.

Long time lurker. First time poster. Great Forum. Tremendous amount of info here.

Received and mounted my PN63B550 to the wall on a Cheetah APTMMP Universal mount a couple weeks ago. Used 4 SnapToggles (Home Depot) into metal studs plus an additional two more into drywall. Solid as a rock. Been using burn-in images (from here) and am coming up on 100 hrs. Super plasma.

Concerning "Buzzing", I also believe this is due to vibration noise with the metal on back of the tv (metal back could be insulated better against other metal areas) or grounding. Now, I do not hear buzzing with my set in general, however, I can cause plenty of buzzing by simply touching areas on the metal back with barely any pressure. Because of this, I could easily see how others could be experiencing this buzzing as their unit wasn't assembled or grounded perfectly.

I have used THX Optimizer and also DVE and picture looks pretty damn good. The "reds", however, are just too intense, no matter which mode I use. I am using Movie mode, Warm 1. Color is at 32 and reds are still too strong. Guess I need to get the pro calibrator in. Has any one you had any issues and /or solutions with this strong "red push"?
post #387 of 1613 Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

There may be 63B550s that buzz, but mine sure doesn't, unless you consider an almost inaudible hum that can barely be heard if you mute the volume and put your ear a few inches away from the back panel to be a buzz. In case it matters, I received my PN63B550 from amazon.com five days ago, and it was manufactured in May 2009 in Tijuana, Mexico. It is mounted on the stand that came with it.

Contrary to popular belief, "female audiophile" is not an oxymoron.
post #388 of 1613 Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I have had no complaints yet....hope it stays that way.

Fair enough, but how about the other models? Have you had no complaints about buzzing on any of the Samsungs at all? That would be surprising. If so, then everyone should order from you, because you must've gotten a special batch!

I'm glad to hear that danncer and others are not having any problems on the 63 inch models.
post #389 of 1613 Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman602 View Post

The speck is very small and I'm probably only worry about it because I know it's there. It doesn't affect viewing past 6 or 7 feet. Even closer you would have to know where to look to see it. If they can replace the panel and it will work just like a new one and I wouldn't have a problem with it then I would rather have it replaced. What do you think?

Personally I would not worry about it unless its just very obvious. And this advice comes from someone who spent 3 extra hrs remounting his 63" plasma on the wall due to it being off 1/32".

As for buzzing, I've certainly never noticed any buzzing from mine at all. Even in movies with quiet scenes, I've never noticed any buzz at all. Mine is wall mounted above a credenza about 8-10' from the closest seat so maybe thats why.

I love my 63" Samsung and am very happy with my purchase.

post #390 of 1613 Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

Personally I would not worry about it unless its just very obvious. And this advice comes from someone who spent 3 extra hrs remounting his 63" plasma on the wall due to it being off 1/32".

It is not obvious at all. No one else would ever know it is there. I will just talk to the service man about it and see what he says. If it is no big deal to replace the panel, then I might go ahead and do it. If it is a complicated process and hard to do, then I will just leave it. This is just something that I would have never even noticed if I hadn't been up at the screen shining a flashlight at it. Thanks for your opinion.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page