i can't find any pioneer 5020fd's.... argh!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nabeelfarooqui's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all,
just when i was about to take the plunge on a nice shiny new pioneer 5020fd, i am not able to find the $1900 price tag anymore... i was just about to get it from amazon, but the told me that htey don't have any more... anyone know where i can get this tv for sub $2000 from a reliable vendor... but pioneer is still manufacturing till the end of the year, correct?? so shouldn't these stores be getting in some more?? thanks..
nabeelfarooqui is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
SoSo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeelfarooqui View Post

hi all,
just when i was about to take the plunge on a nice shiny new pioneer 5020fd, i am not able to find the $1900 price tag anymore... i was just about to get it from amazon, but the told me that htey don't have any more... anyone know where i can get this tv for sub $2000 from a reliable vendor... but pioneer is still manufacturing till the end of the year, correct?? so shouldn't these stores be getting in some more?? thanks..

I believe they only continuing on the Elite and KRP-M. No more xx20.
SoSo is offline  
post #3 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That sucks, hope you find one.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #4 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Member
 
pixar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eastern seaboard
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might wanna ask ROMAN O if he has any. Here's his user profile link...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7951890
pixar is offline  
post #5 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jeffs386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Daytona Beach Fl
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know where there are plenty of 5010's
Jeffs386 is offline  
post #6 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Best Buy has the 5020FD on sale if you can find it locally. Also, Sam's has tons of 5010FDs. Best of luck!
iatacs19 is offline  
post #7 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
lightforce18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
u wont find it online for that price anymore

Pioneer Elite 111FD and Onkyo 6100B 7.1
lightforce18 is offline  
post #8 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
ndisgii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeelfarooqui View Post

hi all,
just when i was about to take the plunge on a nice shiny new pioneer 5020fd, i am not able to find the $1900 price tag anymore... i was just about to get it from amazon, but the told me that htey don't have any more... anyone know where i can get this tv for sub $2000 from a reliable vendor... but pioneer is still manufacturing till the end of the year, correct?? so shouldn't these stores be getting in some more?? thanks..

Is the KRP-500M possibly an option for you?
ndisgii is offline  
post #9 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Member
 
pixar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eastern seaboard
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Is the KRP-500M possibly an option for you?

There are KRPs going for less than 2Gs?
pixar is offline  
post #10 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
ndisgii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixar View Post

There are KRPs going for less than 2Gs?

Yes. For actual pricing, call some of the forum sponsors and you will find what you seek . Currently, the KRPs are priced the same as or less than the xx20 equivalents, depending on which size you choose, and produce Elite/Signature level picture quality in PURE mode. They are a fantastic deal right now if you dont need speakers, stand, tuner, or ISF modes.
ndisgii is offline  
post #11 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jeffs386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Daytona Beach Fl
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy here has plenty of 5020 in your price range
Jeffs386 is offline  
post #12 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Member
 
1200mk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs386 View Post

Best Buy here has plenty of 5020 in your price range

they do???
1200mk is offline  
post #13 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Best Buy at the Mira Mesa location in San Diego has a 5020 for real, real, real cheap. That because it's missing its base.

You may wanna give some serious thought though about getting that 5020. I saw a new Sammy 50B450 next to it just level higher and the Sammy blew it away. The Sammy had better whites, richer colors, better details and guess what, better blacks! The Sammy was a grand more though.
discopaul is offline  
post #14 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
BrownTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you thought about getting an Elite?

The only way that a Samsung will blow away a Pioneer is if the Samsung gets on it knees and opens its mouth

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
BrownTown is offline  
post #15 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
ndisgii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

The Best Buy at the Mira Mesa location in San Diego has a 5020 for real, real, real cheap. That because it's missing its base.

You may wanna give some serious thought though about getting that 5020. I saw a new Sammy 50B450 next to it just level higher and the Sammy blew it away. The Sammy had better whites, richer colors, better details and guess what, better blacks! The Sammy was a grand more though.

Just to be perfectly clear, you are saying the Sammy was better based on what you saw in a Best Buy, and not in a controlled home type environment with a good dedicated connection and proper configuration? Is that correct?
ndisgii is offline  
post #16 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Spleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Have you thought about getting an Elite?

The only way that a Samsung will blow away a Pioneer is if the Samsung gets on it knees and opens its mouth

ROFL. I nominate this the best post of the day.
Spleen is offline  
post #17 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
smcilwaine287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

The Best Buy at the Mira Mesa location in San Diego has a 5020 for real, real, real cheap. That because it's missing its base.

You may wanna give some serious thought though about getting that 5020. I saw a new Sammy 50B450 next to it just level higher and the Sammy blew it away. The Sammy had better whites, richer colors, better details and guess what, better blacks! The Sammy was a grand more though.

dude... that tv is only 100 dollars more than that... you're telling me the pioneer is only 100 dollars open item?

58pz850
42px80
Klipsch RF-62's
smcilwaine287 is offline  
post #18 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Just to be perfectly clear, you are saying the Sammy was better based on what you saw in a Best Buy, and not in a controlled home type environment with a good dedicated connection and proper configuration? Is that correct?

Yes to both. The lighting was controlled. That is to say the lighting was exactly the same for both. Something on the order of bedroom lighting conditions.
discopaul is offline  
post #19 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Mr. Abulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think DiscoPaul is posting drunk again. He likely meant that the 5020 is a grand more than the Samsung 50B450. Which makes sense, since it is a 1080p Pioneer with Kuro technology and the Samsung is a 1024 x 768 set sitting in their low-end line and using hand-me-down panel technology. Of course, the Samsung does have "Mega Contrast", which makes it look... well, like a television. The Samsung 4xx series are nice enough sets, my parents bought one for their bedroom and it works great. But even as overpriced as Pioneers are compared to the rest of the plasma market, there is easily $1000 worth of difference between those TVs given the differences in resolution, colour rendering, speakers and sound, image processing technology, screen quality, overall build quality, anti-glare filtering, etc.

Disco, I know you love the Samsungs, but even you know that comparing a 4-series plasma to a Kuro is like comparing an AMC Gremlin to a BMW M3.
Mr. Abulia is offline  
post #20 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Have you thought about getting an Elite?

The only way that a Samsung will blow away a Pioneer is if the Samsung gets on it knees and opens its mouth


Cute.
No, I haven't thought about buying an Elite in a long time. Seeing what I saw today I'm more convinced of that.
discopaul is offline  
post #21 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcilwaine287 View Post

dude... that tv is only 100 dollars more than that... you're telling me the pioneer is only 100 dollars open item?

Na, I just mixed up the cost of the sets. The kuro was much cheaper though. It would have been far easier for me just to give the price but you know forum rules.
discopaul is offline  
post #22 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia View Post

I think DiscoPaul is posting drunk again. He likely meant that the 5020 is a grand more than the Samsung 50B450. Which makes sense, since it is a 1080p Pioneer with Kuro technology and the Samsung is a 1024 x 768 set sitting in their low-end line and using hand-me-down panel technology. Of course, the Samsung does have "Mega Contrast", which makes it look... well, like a television. The Samsung 4xx series are nice enough sets, my parents bought one for their bedroom and it works great. But even as overpriced as Pioneers are compared to the rest of the plasma market, there is easily $1000 worth of difference between those TVs given the differences in resolution, colour rendering, speakers and sound, image processing technology, screen quality, overall build quality, anti-glare filtering, etc.

Disco, I know you love the Samsungs, but even you know that comparing a 4-series plasma to a Kuro is like comparing an AMC Gremlin to a BMW M3.

Yeah, one would be predisposed to make the assumption you made. If you free your mind from bias and just let your eyes guide you, the Sammy was easily better.
All the other stuff you mentioned like build quality, processing, etc is hype. If I spent megabucks on Kuro and I kept secretly looking at those Sammies everytime I'm in a BestBuy, I suppose I might come up with those unfounded rationalizations as well.
discopaul is offline  
post #23 of 73 Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Member
 
Mr. Abulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Yeah, one would be predisposed to make the assumption you made. If you free your mind from bias and just let your eyes guide you, the Sammy was easily better.
All the other stuff you mentioned like build quality, processing, etc is hype. If I spent megabucks on Kuro and I kept secretly looking at those Sammies everytime I'm in a BestBuy, I suppose I might come up with those unfounded rationalizations as well.

If you're happier with a 4-series Samsung than a Kuro then I can honestly say that I envy you. You'd be able to get your dream TV for a VERY reasonable price! Unfortunately, my eyes tell me that the Kuro looks a lot better. I guess that's part of everyone perceiving things differently. Vive la difference!
Mr. Abulia is offline  
post #24 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 AM
 
Wdnuwndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been trying to sell my 5 month old 5020 for a couple weeks now & getting nothing but ridiculous offers. So they must be plentiful & cheap here in NC.

One guy actually told me CC had them for 1699 which is quite a feat considering they are out of business here & didn"t even carry Pio's.
Wdnuwndr is offline  
post #25 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Patrick.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowansville, Quebec
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

The Best Buy at the Mira Mesa location in San Diego has a 5020 for real, real, real cheap. That because it's missing its base.

You may wanna give some serious thought though about getting that 5020. I saw a new Sammy 50B450 next to it just level higher and the Sammy blew it away. The Sammy had better whites, richer colors, better details and guess what, better blacks! The Sammy was a grand more though.

lol..

No one believes you anymore, maybe with a screen name change you can scam.. er I mean help some new users.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
Patrick. is offline  
post #26 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 AM
 
maxdog03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Yes to both. The lighting was controlled. That is to say the lighting was exactly the same for both. Something on the order of bedroom lighting conditions.

Did you make any adjustments on each TV? Were they both adjusted to their best possible picture? I've seen the cheapest sets in BB look better than some of the most expensive just because the better set was so far out of adjustment, but you also already knew that.
maxdog03 is offline  
post #27 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 AM
 
maxdog03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Yes to both. The lighting was controlled. That is to say the lighting was exactly the same for both. Something on the order of bedroom lighting conditions.

I've never been in a BB that had bedroom lighting conditions on the main floor where the 5020 and the Sammy are displayed and they all pretty much follow the same format. Only the Magnolia's have controlled lighting conditions. The more you post about this experience the less credible your information becomes.
maxdog03 is offline  
post #28 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zues is offline  
post #29 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry^^, looks like the 5020 is hard to find.
Zues is offline  
post #30 of 73 Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nabeelfarooqui's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for all the replies everyone.... well, looks like now that i have the cash, the 5020 will really be hard to find at sub-$2000... i really don't want to spend more than that... how will the new panasonic 50" V10 be??? a worthy competitor?? i haven't been able to find too much about it on the forums... the only thing that scares me about the panny's is this flicker issue that i keep hearing about....
nabeelfarooqui is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off