The official Samsung 58B560 OWNERS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 134 Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the PN50B560 (same as the 58 but in a 50 inch size) and I was between the 560 and the 860.... the $400 price difference wasn't worth it to me. I could see a slightly better picture on the 860, but really, if the sets weren't side by side, I wouldn't notice it. The 400 bucks I saved went towards and Oppo BDP-83. I am happy with this move so far. I haven't play PS3 on the 560 yet... so I am hoping that it doesn't disappoint. For the money, I think the 560 is one of the best deal in large flat panel displays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 134 Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Just hooked up the 58b560.....WHOA!! My first plasma (had 43" RPTV before) Right now it is viewing just basic cable as I am beginning to set up my entertainment after remodeling the whole house. Will have DirectTv, BlueRay/PS3 - what type of settings should I have, any calibrations suggested (? DVDs etc) basically what do I need to do now. Just start watching???

Thanks!
post #123 of 134 Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 PM

How is the Cinema Smooth 24 fps bluray playback on the 58b560?

Interesting that this set is in the same price range as the panny s1, but the s1 does not support 24 fps.

Thanks for any info.
post #124 of 134 Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 AM

I'll have to let you know about the Cinema Smooth. Have not had a chance to "play" much with it - first plasma and seems there is a lot to learn. I will try to let you know this week though.
post #125 of 134 Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

I'm personally pretty disappointed with the Cinema Smooth feature. I payed the extra $$ to get the 560 instead of the 550 just for this feature. I honestly can't tell a difference with it turned on or off. I've tested several BDs now, and still have very noticeable judder with CS turned on. I tried turning CS on and off and comparing the same scenes and it looks just the same. I've verified I have 24hz output enabled on my blu-ray player (LG BD390), and my set recognizes the 24hz input (displays it at the top left).

I've also noticed another issue when CS is enabled - at times (more noticeable in dark shots), I get what appears to be tiny white flickering dots all over the screen. I tested by turning off CS while the scene is playing, and the flickering immediately disappears.

I've been looking around for other people reporting similar issues, thinking it may be a common problem with the Cinema Smooth feature. I haven't really found anyone else reporting this (other than the black level bug), so I'm wondering if it might just be my set. I haven't heard anyone else saying that they're satisfied with CS either, so would be interested to know what others think of it, and if it noticeably reduces judder on their set.
post #126 of 134 Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback bonebox. That sounds disappointing for the cinema smooth. What exactly is the black level bug?
post #127 of 134 Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 AM

There's a big thread about the Cinema Smooth black level bug here on the AVS forum. I tried posting the link but don't have enough posts yet to do so. Just search for "cinema smooth black level". Oddly enough, I haven't experienced this problem on my set.
post #128 of 134 Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 AM

post #129 of 134 Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm admittedly a newbie to this whole 24p thing, and after looking around some more, I'm wondering if the judder I'm seeing on my set is to be expected and just related to this. If that's the case it makes sense, but man, what a disappointment.
post #130 of 134 Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 AM

Is it possible that the screens with judder are faulty. CAuse i can tell you Ive played everything under the sun on my sammy 58b560 and I have not seen any of the issues mentioned. I only really watched the two Blu-rays I have Dark knight and Iron man and I did not notice any kind of Screen judder.
I think the Cinema smooth feature is the option in "Film mode" and for me thats off. I also and mainly play movies off my ps3 slim from a nas drive and I have not seen any kind of judder same for video games currently Uncharted 2. The game has lots of fast moviing scenes and movies in between game play and i have not seen anything...i could be just one lucky ass sap i guess.
post #131 of 134 Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrys7 View Post

Is it possible that the screens with judder are faulty. CAuse i can tell you Ive played everything under the sun on my sammy 58b560 and I have not seen any of the issues mentioned. I only really watched the two Blu-rays I have Dark knight and Iron man and I did not notice any kind of Screen judder.
I think the Cinema smooth feature is the option in "Film mode" and for me thats off. I also and mainly play movies off my ps3 slim from a nas drive and I have not seen any kind of judder same for video games currently Uncharted 2. The game has lots of fast moviing scenes and movies in between game play and i have not seen anything...i could be just one lucky ass sap i guess.

Possible, but doubtful. From what you described (Cinema Smooth turned off), you would be viewing at 60hz, so your set would be doing 3:2 pulldown on movies, which is a cause for judder (something Cinema Smooth is suppose to rectify by switching to 96hz). Also games don't suffer from 24fps limitation as with film so I don't think that even applies. It could be that you're just not as sensitive to judder as some others, and so don't notice as much. Also, it's not as prevalent in some movies as others. My wife doesn't notice it, whereas my eyes are very sensitive to it - it literally gives me a headache on some scenes!
post #132 of 134 Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Finally pulled the trigger and picked up the 58b560. I'm upgrading from a 32" Sony Trinitron so it's a huge upgrade for me!

I've been looking through these forums forever and know of all the break-in suggestions. I know D-Nice put up very specific settings for breaking in the Panny's. Are there any threads or posts that do that for the sammy's?
post #133 of 134 Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 AM

Just picked up the 58b560 last week from Amazon direct. Excellent tv.. (great delivery/service as well).

Upgraded from a 2001 toshiba rptv. Plasma rules!
post #134 of 134 Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
EDIT - ignore this post! I searched "Samsung store demo" on AVS and found a post that solved the problem I discussed below. Holding the "Exit" button for ten seconds brought up the screens to get back into Home mode. So apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but maybe it'll help someone else with a similar issue...

Ok, I know this thread has been dormant for years but hoping any current (or past) Sammy owners can help me solve a problem with a PN58B560, specifically navigating the service menu.

I just bought a house last month that came with this tv, and I'll probably sell it as I already own a better flat panel to use. Before taking the Sammy off the wall, I've been doing some work on the media room, so have used the Sammy a few times. I did do a quick calibration in Movie mode as I originally found it set to Dynamic mode. But I'm noticing that when the TV is turned off then back on, it's back in Dynamic mode. I've also seen it change from Movie to Dynamic while watching a movie during a break from house projects. So I'm thinking this is somehow in Store Demo mode and not Home Mode. So before I sell this via CL, I at least want to correct this.

So I got into the service menu (Mute-1-8-2-Power), hoping to find "reset" as one of the main options. I found some examples by googling "Samsung service menu", but unfortunately my SM comes up a bit different:

Option
ADC/WB
Control
Advanced
Expert
SVC

So could anyone offer suggestions on which option I should select to reset the TV out of Store Demo mode, or at least verify which mode is engaged? As a clarification, the TV is plugged into a constant power source.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page