The official Samsung 58B560 OWNERS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 134 Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As you all know, i have owned 3 hdtvs in the past month (samsung lcd 850 and panasonic 50pz850u plasma). I have finally settled to stay with the samsung B560 unit.
So far this is what i have noticed so far:

Sound quality is decent which you would expect from a very thin plasma. Many HDTV owners know that the thinner you go, the worse the sound gets because the smaller the speakers have to be.

Picture quality: well, this has been beaten to death in a previous thread. In my opinion, the samsung B560 is definetely way better in color accuracy when compared to panasonic units. As far as black colors, i continue to stand by what i had said earlier which was that the samsung does a much better job at keeping dark images looking dark during daytime viewing. This was a huge issue with the panasonic because i almost couldnt stand watching tv during the day on the panasonic 850u.
Also, the samsung DOES NOT have flicker at all. I also noticed this past week that the samsung unit changes images much faster than the panasonic unit does. (this could be due to its 600hz) It handles moving images much smoother and without any artifacts. As far as its external appearance goes, well i think that the samsung is still miles ahead of panasonic units. It's a much slimmer cabinet and it has a ash TOC instead of the former red color.
So far, the only thing i DID notice is that the samsung seems to suffer a little more of image rentention. I have watched movies and if i leave still images for only a little bit, it causes IR. However, i have not broken in the unit so i am thinking this is due to the fact that the tv is more prone to this problem during its early life.
In brief, the samsung is much easier on my eyes even with the lights off. It has amazing colors and dark colors are dark. It all comes with a very reasonable price tag and it will be a very tough unit to beat. I have tried the g10 units and they still do not impress me. You still have flicker and its colors are still behind the samsung. Yes, its black colors are outstanding, but overall it is not a much better unit than the samsung b560.
If you are looking for an amazing 58 inch plasma that won't rape your bank account then do not look anywhere else..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the non-flicker is just due to the 'cinema smooth' feature which displays 24p rather than the 3:2 pulldown (as is on the b550 as well).
post #3 of 134 Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Liked: 17
i read what you said about the image rentention and im just wondering if thats with the the anti screen burn protection activated? reason why i'm equiring is because i have the 50 inch on its way and i hate the fact of getting image retention so early i no it may differ in codes as im from the uk but it looks exactly the same as the us version only that in the uk we tend to get it with 100hz aswell as the 600hz subfield motion
post #4 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 AM

Liked: 10
Okay, I did it! Just purchased the PN58B560 last night After researching for what seems like forever, I'm going with a unit that has few reviews; go figure. I had previously purchased the FP-T5084 (2007 Samsung plasma) over a year ago and had it for about two weeks before returning. The only issue I had with that one was the false contouring during hockey games. Otherwise, it was a great tv.
post #5 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

is the pink hue issue still around with these samsungs?

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #6 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

How hot does this set get? When I had my 58a550 the top of the set got toasty. Sometimes so hot it felt like a small heater hot. Sure didnt make me feel good about the longevity of the set.
post #7 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i have been looking for the pink color issues that many reported on samsung plasmas and i have not found an issue with that. However, the IR problem i reported was gone once i activated the screen protection. As far as heat, i really don't find it to get really warm. I found the panasonic to get REALLY warm. This unit doesn't seem to get any warmer than the samsung 850 lcd i owned.
post #8 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM

sure

58pz850
42px80
Klipsch RF-62's
post #9 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

i have been looking for the pink color issues that many reported on samsung plasmas and i have not found an issue with that. However, the IR problem i reported was gone once i activated the screen protection. As far as heat, i really don't find it to get really warm. I found the panasonic to get REALLY warm. This unit doesn't seem to get any warmer than the samsung 850 lcd i owned.

Good to know about the IR...this looks like it was a real deal breaker with the samsung plasmas...but now, if they managed to correct it a little...the 850 will be the perfect set for me I guess

Let us know if you have other IR in the next weeks please... I will use the set maybe 25% for gaming and the IR is the only thing that makes me fear buying a samsung plasma!!! don't really want an lcd...

THANKS!!!
post #10 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Heh - right in the same boat as you - race you to the review!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scam110 View Post

Okay, I did it! Just purchased the PN58B560 last night After researching for what seems like forever, I'm going with a unit that has few reviews; go figure. I had previously purchased the FP-T5084 (2007 Samsung plasma) over a year ago and had it for about two weeks before returning. The only issue I had with that one was the false contouring during hockey games. Otherwise, it was a great tv.

post #11 of 134 Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Cool, I recieve mine on Friday and plan on a 4-5 day burn-in.
post #12 of 134 Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Mine just got in last night - I can post pictures, but y'all know what it looks like. I think it's great but just have my old CRT RPTV to compare it to.. baa haa haa...

Quick question - I used the THX calibration from a THX DVD on the PS3 - do I just repeat for each input by jumping the HDMI jack to the next slot?
post #13 of 134 Old 04-18-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
i have one on order from cleveland plasma. hoping to have it delivered to me on monday.

will be replacing a 30" Toshiba 30HF85 CRT HDTV.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #14 of 134 Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Watching "The Day the Earth Stood Still", in BD, on mine right now. Very happy with the pq. No pinks, no flickers, etc... Very good deep, not crushing blacks, and the 600hz seems to have just the needed effect to make the picture pop. But no so much like the LCD 120hz sets that give the soap opera look. Very happy with this set, it is a keeper!

Mike
post #15 of 134 Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 PM

For WhiteC and other owners....How is the shadow detail and how does it compare to the Panny? I see this as just as important if not more so than black levels.
post #16 of 134 Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

For WhiteC and other owners....How is the shadow detail and how does it compare to the Panny? I see this as just as important if not more so than black levels.

I cannot compare it to the Panny, but the blacks and shadows were outstanding in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in BD. The movie was rather dark, but the B560 handled it with ease. Details were there, even in the darkest scenes, I could still see the characters where on my XBR2 I would have been looking at a dark screen with no details. I give the Sammy a 10 in how it handled the blacks and shadows. I was honestly impressed, as my first impressions were rather so so. The B560 has allot of potential in my book, and a fantastic Plasma for the money.

Oh, and I watched a hockey game, the ice looked to be the proper color, the white numbers on the red jerseys were very white, as intended. The source for the hockey game in HD was StarChoice sat out of Canada. I saw no pink hues on the full ice shots, and neither did my wife. Just thought you would all like to know that. And my HDMI cables are all running through a Denon 4308ci if that matters to anyone. I have none of my sources connected directly to the Samsung, everything runs through the Denon AVR which is connected via one HDMI to the B560.

And someone asked about image retention, I have not noticed any in the least. I had the menus of the Denon and the Samsung up for a bit, no problems there. Even watched some SD stuff with the black side bars and other shows with floating ID in lower right corner. I have yet to see any IR with this set.
post #17 of 134 Old 04-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I cannot compare it to the Panny, but the blacks and shadows were outstanding in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in BD. The movie was rather dark, but the B560 handled it with ease. Details were there, even in the darkest scenes, I could still see the characters where on my XBR2 I would have been looking at a dark screen with no details. I give the Sammy a 10 in how it handled the blacks and shadows. I was honestly impressed, as my first impressions were rather so so. The B560 has allot of potential in my book, and a fantastic Plasma for the money.

Oh, and I watched a hockey game, the ice looked to be the proper color, the white numbers on the red jerseys were very white, as intended. The source for the hockey game in HD was StarChoice sat out of Canada. I saw no pink hues on the full ice shots, and neither did my wife. Just thought you would all like to know that. And my HDMI cables are all running through a Denon 4308ci if that matters to anyone. I have none of my sources connected directly to the Samsung, everything runs through the Denon AVR which is connected via one HDMI to the B560.

And someone asked about image retention, I have not noticed any in the least. I had the menus of the Denon and the Samsung up for a bit, no problems there. Even watched some SD stuff with the black side bars and other shows with floating ID in lower right corner. I have yet to see any IR with this set.

Thanks for the report, looks like another checkmark in the Samsung column for when I buy a 58" plasma this summer.
post #18 of 134 Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I hate to waste bandwidth with a trivial question.. but can someone answer for me how long the included power cable is with this set? I just ordered the 63B550 and figure it's likely the same.

TIA... ohh and let's see some pics!
post #19 of 134 Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 PM

The cable is about 6' long. Here are a couple of terrible pictures... it's too late, and I didn't set the right white balance.... The blacks in the movie matched the blacks of the bars above and below the movie I just watched. Therefore I would say the screen has great blacks, but I can't comment much on shadow detail. Compared to some calibrated sets I saw in a local shop, I would say the black performance is very good. The speakers suck! My stereo is packed as we're constantly showing the house (yea....).
LL
LL
post #20 of 134 Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ozark, the speakers and sound from the Sammies have always been a weakness in my view. I can only imagine they might be slightly worse now that you have a thinner form factor.
Oh well, I can't imagine using these beautiful displays without them being hooked up to a proper home theater sound system. Problem solved

If they still have custom mode, that is where I did my own laymans cal using Star Wars episode 3. Perhaps you can do similar.
post #21 of 134 Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark_VR View Post

The speakers suck! My stereo is packed as we're constantly showing the house (yea....).

One of the easiest fixes is to hook up a cheap pair of 2.1 speakers via the headphone output. $50 for a decent pair of Logitechs.
post #22 of 134 Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

One of the easiest fixes is to hook up a cheap pair of 2.1 speakers via the headphone output. $50 for a decent pair of Logitechs.

I have to agree with that, have a set in my truck hooked to my 27" 720p Samsung LCD... Sammy speakers really suck...

post #23 of 134 Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

i got my PN58B560 today and it is awesome.

i came from a 30" HD CRT, so this thing is just a beast!!! i used the settings listed in the old A550 thread as a baseline and then tweaked things to my liking and i have to say this thing looks simply amazing. the blacks look black to me, and coming from my old CRT which crushed blacks, that means something. image retention sure is easier to cause than i had thought it would be though. it isn't noticeable unless you inches from the screen, and even then, it goes away very quickly.

i'll post a few pics:

couple questions:
does IR become harder to cause after break in? and where do i look to see how many hours are on my tv?

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #24 of 134 Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Thats looks excellent and most important- No pink hues as seen in the hockey pic. I do miss my old a550 at times. The colors are so dead on!
post #25 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 AM

Mine was delivered yesterday. I have a buzzing sound coming form the screen. Anyone else have this problem? It's there no matter what input the tv is set on and with or without the sat receiver and ps3 plugged in. It goes away when I change channels on the dtv receiver, but is there whether it's connected or not.
post #26 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchingf1 View Post

Mine was delivered yesterday. I have a buzzing sound coming form the screen. Anyone else have this problem? It's there no matter what input the tv is set on and with or without the sat receiver and ps3 plugged in. It goes away when I change channels on the dtv receiver, but is there whether it's connected or not.

mine has a very slight buzz that i'm sure i won't even notice after a couple days. i wouldn't worry about it.

also i must add that this thing doesn't get very warm. nowhere near as warm as my brothers 50A550.

post #27 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 AM

Wow, looks great! The shot from the hockey game looks really good. The color of the ice looks very natural.
post #28 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM

mcjasonb, I see your using the platform you made to raise the TV. Looks like it's a perfect fit.
post #29 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM

...and my B560 does not get warm at all either. As for a buzz, I can't detect one on mine. And I've muted the sound more than once trying to find one.
post #30 of 134 Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM

What did you use for the platform? Looks like a great idea to fit my big a$$ Beta 360 center.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page