Panasonic V10 [NO PRICE TALK PLEASE] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Newbie
 
lxNoMaDxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how Panasonic is with their release systems? Specifically I mean are there any problems with the first off the line stuff should I wait a month or two before purchasing to make sure that the manufactoring process is down pat for these new systems?
lxNoMaDxl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Orta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kirk_ View Post

I realize I hadn't followed up to my earlier post regarding lag on Rock Band 2. I calibrated my guitar controller, and now things are in sync again. As it turns out, there was a greater amount of delay via the receiver (I replaced my old Yamaha with a new Pioneer Elite since I wanted HDMI connectivity) than with the TV - 72 ms vs. 31 ms.

Also I popped in Geometry Wars and didn't notice any issues. Gears of War seemed to play fine, and I'll test Halo 3 soon.

Given that the early UK review of the V10 mentioned how outstanding the set was for gaming, I'm now feeling reassured that there won't be any issues with lag on the set.

That's pretty nasty, your receiver must overlay the OSD (like volume) on top of the actual source image. What did you use to get the 2 measures (72 Vs. 31) if you didn't do a direct connection though? Did you swap back in the Yamaha, or switch over to Component or something?
Orta is offline  
post #543 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #544 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomanystraydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc1000 View Post

Anyone notice this little note on the Panny website for the 58"

2" Design with One-Sheet-of-Glass
(50" & 54" Models Only)

I am wondering what will be different on the 58" ???

My understanding is the larger models cannot use the 'one-sheet' design because they are too heavy and need more support.

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
tomanystraydogs is offline  
post #545 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
deathofstickboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ClevelandPlasma: Good to hear they're in stock! I'm a newbie here, but have been following the G10 thread and now this as I'm trying to decide between the two. I was pretty much sold on the G10 but then started to read more about the V10 and thought maybe it would be worth waiting for a good sale, but I'd like to see how much better the v10 really is as far as PQ. Please let us know what you think once you are able to view it in action. You're input on the 50G10 was greatly appreciated.
deathofstickboy is offline  
post #546 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Finally, the TC-P50V10 are in stock.

Please yell when the 54V10's arrive and your thoughts on them.


Thanks

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is offline  
post #547 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Member
 
mikeinaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Finally, the TC-P50V10 are in stock.

Can you please give us a side-by-side comparison between the 50g10 and the 50v10 in thx mode? In particular, any brightness difference between the two sets in thx mode and does the v10 have any greenish tint in thx mode.
mikeinaustin is offline  
post #548 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Member
 
robert9674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@Cleveland Plasma
Can you do a compare of the 50 inc v10 to the 50 inch g10 and also any of the samsungs lcd tv....
robert9674 is offline  
post #549 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Member
 
usarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post

@Cleveland Plasma
Can you do a compare of the 50 inc v10 to the 50 inch g10 and also any of the samsungs lcd tv....

+1 for a comparison with the Samsung B850/860
usarcher is offline  
post #550 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Member
 
DrMacchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

+1 for a comparison with the Samsung B850/860

+1 as well

Just saw the B850 in person...damn what a sexy TV and from what I can tell looks better aesthetic wise than the V10.

If I hear the 850/60 perform better than the V10 I'll be extremely bummed considering I used my once a year pricing to purchase the Panasonic.
DrMacchio is offline  
post #551 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
_kirk_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

That's pretty nasty, your receiver must overlay the OSD (like volume) on top of the actual source image. What did you use to get the 2 measures (72 Vs. 31) if you didn't do a direct connection though? Did you swap back in the Yamaha, or switch over to Component or something?

Those values were the readings that the game itself provided when I used the auto-calibrate mode.
_kirk_ is offline  
post #552 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
4cowboys4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc1000 View Post

Anyone notice this little note on the Panny website for the 58"

2" Design with One-Sheet-of-Glass
(50" & 54" Models Only)

I am wondering what will be different on the 58" ???

This doesn't answer your question, but this seems to have changed from before, where in the product reference guide it mentioned only the 50" as having the one sheet of glass design.
4cowboys4life is offline  
post #553 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
4cowboys4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMacchio View Post

+1 as well

Just saw the B850 in person...damn what a sexy TV and from what I can tell looks better aesthetic wise than the V10.

If I hear the 850/60 perform better than the V10 I'll be extremely bummed considering I used my once a year pricing to purchase the Panasonic.

Have no fear, IF there is ever a need for service Panasonic is lights years ahead of Samsung in Customer Service.
4cowboys4life is offline  
post #554 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Member
 
lemmy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: East TN
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMacchio View Post

+1 as well

Just saw the B850 in person...damn what a sexy TV and from what I can tell looks better aesthetic wise than the V10.

If I hear the 850/60 perform better than the V10 I'll be extremely bummed considering I used my once a year pricing to purchase the Panasonic.

+2

On aesthetics alone the Samsung is way better. I have seen the 860 at Best Buy and it was one of the best looking pictures I had seen on a Plasma yet. I have been heavily leaning V10, but now I may end up going for the 50B850
lemmy999 is offline  
post #555 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Member
 
bartonjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Glenville NY
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post

Can you please give us a side-by-side comparison between the 50g10 and the 50v10 in thx mode? In particular, any brightness difference between the two sets in thx mode and does the v10 have any greenish tint in thx mode.

Agreed...this would be wonderful if possible. Is it fair to say that the review on the 50 inch model would closely reflect that of the 54? Thanks
bartonjm is offline  
post #556 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Member
 
tigertimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central NY
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Finally, the TC-P50V10 are in stock.

Sweet - I'd be very interested in hearing your first impressions, etc. Any thoughts on it compared to the G10, or the Samsung 850/860?
tigertimmy is offline  
post #557 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
TheAnswer_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
_kirk_

How are the black levels compared to the Kuro and other plasma's?

Any image retention issues? Is it better than older plasma's for example? How long do you watch movies with black bars?
TheAnswer_03 is offline  
post #558 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
BWDinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The black levels have been lowered this year with a new technology cell structure style. They also have changed he mix of gasses to help lower the IR risk. Unfortunately samsung hasnt caught up in that field yet.
BWDinc is offline  
post #559 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc View Post

The black levels have been lowered this year with a new technology cell structure style. They also have changed he mix of gasses to help lower the IR risk. Unfortunately samsung hasnt caught up in that field yet.

First, how do you know that the cell structure has changed? And I'm curious to know why you think Samsung has IR issues over Panny's?
flyers is offline  
post #560 of 10489 Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
_kirk_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

_kirk_

How are the black levels compared to the Kuro and other plasma's?

Any image retention issues? Is it better than older plasma's for example? How long do you watch movies with black bars?

I have no means of comparing this set to a Kuro, so I'm not of service there. I would guess that the black levels probably aren't quite Pioneer dark given the reviews we've seen so far for the G10 and for the UK version of the V10, but who knows until a professional reviewer is able to accurately compare the two.

It seems plenty dark enough to me, but retains detail within the darks.

No IR issues so far, and only one instance of slight ghosting when I turned the set off. I've been mixing up my viewing - most of it has been full-screen HD from HD channels, though of course with commercials you get the periodic side bars. I've also watched some Planet Earth which is good for full-screen viewing. Watched some BD content with the top/bottom black bars, spent a fair amount of time playing Rock Band 2 with full screen content. So far, no IR from the fret display during each song, and the rest of the screen is active so no worries there.

I'm not being hard-core about the breaking in procedures that some suggest, but I am conscious of it - I've turned the contrast and brightness values on all picture settings to 50 or below and have the side bars for 4:3 viewing set to the gray tone rather than black (though I haven't actually watched any 4:3 content input yet to use that feature).
_kirk_ is offline  
post #561 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
jenseike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Again I am asking if somebody could try explain how this panel will perform during daytime livingroom codition. I am consirned the ar coating is not going to hold. Also, what about early eavning - how dark does the room have to be before you can start to show good contrast?

Jens
jenseike is offline  
post #562 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Newbie
 
Rat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

Again I am asking if somebody could try explain how this panel will perform during daytime livingroom codition. I am consirned the ar coating is not going to hold. Also, what about early eavning - how dark does the room have to be before you can start to show good contrast?

Jens

+1 on daytime livingroom performance. Hemi/kirk, do you need to go to a custom mode or does THX get the job done? Can you bump up the contrast in THX mode?
Rat22 is offline  
post #563 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Member
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kirk_ View Post

I have no means of comparing this set to a Kuro, so I'm not of service there. I would guess that the black levels probably aren't quite Pioneer dark given the reviews we've seen so far for the G10 and for the UK version of the V10, but who knows until a professional reviewer is able to accurately compare the two.

It seems plenty dark enough to me, but retains detail within the darks.

No IR issues so far, and only one instance of slight ghosting when I turned the set off. I've been mixing up my viewing - most of it has been full-screen HD from HD channels, though of course with commercials you get the periodic side bars. I've also watched some Planet Earth which is good for full-screen viewing. Watched some BD content with the top/bottom black bars, spent a fair amount of time playing Rock Band 2 with full screen content. So far, no IR from the fret display during each song, and the rest of the screen is active so no worries there.

I'm not being hard-core about the breaking in procedures that some suggest, but I am conscious of it - I've turned the contrast and brightness values on all picture settings to 50 or below and have the side bars for 4:3 viewing set to the gray tone rather than black (though I haven't actually watched any 4:3 content input yet to use that feature).

So how do you like this set so far Kirk? I know you won't really be able to tell how good it can be until the break in process is over and you can put the picture settings where they need to be. But overall do you think the V10 is worth it?
Steelmaker is offline  
post #564 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
jenseike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat22 View Post

+1 on daytime livingroom performance. Hemi/kirk, do you need to go to a custom mode or does THX get the job done? Can you bump up the contrast in THX mode?

I just came over a review that was saying that the G10 is good in daytime conditions. I just want to get some information on this from a owner also :

Using a 100 IRE window pattern, we verified Panasonic’s claim. In the THX mode with the user controls (including contrast) optimized, the TCP50G10 measured a very bright and comfortable 31 ft. lamberts. To achieve far higher brightness (needed for rooms with high ambient light levels) requires a simply change of the picture mode to Custom or Vivid mode and an increase of the contrast control.

With the contrast control set to 100% and the picture control set to Vivid, the G10 produced a retina searing maximum brightness of 92.2 ft lamberts (using the same window pattern). This is the highest level we’ve measured on any plasma and is comparable to many LCD models. Viewing HD content with the contrast control maxed out confirmed the G10 is capable of producing an image so intense, it’s uncomfortably bright.

In the past, LCDs were the only recommended flat panel technology for high ambient light environments, not any more. This display can provide high image brightness along superb motion resolution, wide viewing angles and excellent color.

Most LCDs panels use fluorescent lamps (called CCFLs) as the light source. To increase light output, the lamps output must be raised with the TVs backlight control, often resulting in muddy blacks and lower contrast ratios. Plasmas generates its own light (like a CRT), maintaining deep blacks while raising the light level. With arrival of the TCP50G10, you can use plasma in brightly lit rooms that previously required an LCD panel.

I need to know this before I make a purcase for the V10, so please help!!!


Jens
jenseike is offline  
post #565 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomanystraydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ that's from the HDGURU review:

LINK

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
tomanystraydogs is offline  
post #566 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panny TP-50PHD6 from 2004-pro model. I've never had a problem with it. I'ts only 720p so I'm looking to upgrade to a 54g10/54v10. It still has a great picture and I now own the Oppo Bd-83 and also a PS3. BD movies look excellent.

There is so much talk of "reflections" from light, light shining in,etc. While this is true of all plasmas, tube sets or any tv with a glass front, it's not a big problem. As others have said-use blinds(vertical blinds are best as you can easily direct the light), dark shades or other window coverings. Movies are meant to be seen in the dark-I have rope lights on the back of my plasma which lights up the back and of course causes no reflections and does add light to the room, but does not alter the picture on the screen. Plasmas do have this problem. You just have to be creative with light control. I's a trade off for the vastly superior picture that you get versus an LCD. I quote Norma Desmond from "Sunset Boulevard":"You see, this is my life! It always will be! Nothing else! Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!"

BTW-The 50g10 with the enhanced reduced reflective screen is just slightly better then my 5 year old Panny. In my opinion, not a deal breaker.

AND...I've been a member of this site for over 5 years and the site was invaluable in helping me in my first plasma purchase in 2004 and subsequent additions to my AV setup over the years. I'm not really a "new member"-I changed my log on info. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this site.
everyperson is offline  
post #567 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
donnymac51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am finally seeing the v10 showing up on various online sites for sale. I'm on the fence between a 54g10 or a 50v10. Like a lot of you I am waiting for some of the new v10 owners to help us with our choice.

Cleveland Plasma...Have you had a chance to check out the v10 yet? If so is it any improvement over the g10 out of the box?

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
donnymac51 is offline  
post #568 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

I am finally seeing the v10 showing up on various online sites for sale. I'm on the fence between a 54g10 or a 50v10. Like a lot of you I am waiting for some of the new v10 owners to help us with our choice.

Cleveland Plasma...Have you had a chance to check out the v10 yet? If so is it any improvement over the g10 out of the box?

I am also hanging and waiting. I talked to Cleveland Plasma yesterday and was told they may never get the V10 in. They will be drop shipping from the factory. This means they may not be able to do a side x side comparision. (Darn)

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is offline  
post #569 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Member
 
pixar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eastern seaboard
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow Vanns is sellin em cheaper than the Panny website!
pixar is offline  
post #570 of 10489 Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Well, if that's the case don't they suggest you have about two inches on each side and more then that from the back of the set to the wall? Just for air circulation.

I plan to get the 54V10 and I will have two inches on each side and I thought that was going to be perfect.

Can someone clear this up?

I just talked to Panny and they said the important area is directly below the TV. If that is clear, everything else is OK. I called because I will have no clearance on either side and I was worried about cooling.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off