Panasonic V10 [NO PRICE TALK PLEASE] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10489 Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
syphon00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
after checking out the G10 reviews I'm seriously considering waiting for the V10 to come out since I want the 58"
was originally going to get the TH58PZ850U the V10 may very well be significantly better in terms of PQ, what do you guys think?
syphon00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10489 Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

after checking out the G10 reviews I'm seriously considering waiting for the V10 to come out since I want the 58"
was originally going to get the TH58PZ850U the V10 may very well be significantly better in terms of PQ, what do you guys think?

If you don't mind waiting until August or early September the 58-V10 will be better than the 850. The 850 is a fine display, so if you can't wait, nothing wrong with grabbing one.
speedking is offline  
post #3 of 10489 Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
mnerren17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I, also, was going to get the TH58PZ850U but when I heard about the V10 58 inch, I became more interested in waiting. The G10 will only have a 54 inch and it hasn't been released to the pubic. Again, as you said, the G10 reviews are disappointing so I hope the V10 will be much better. I know the 24 P flicker is not supposed to exist on the V10.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all the V10's going to have one front pane of glass and not two like the TH58PZ850U? I know the TH50PZ850U and the TH50PZ800 both have 1 pane of glass. I belive the 58 inch V10 is only going to be one pane all the way across as is the TH50PZ850U..

The 58 V10is replacing the TH58PZ850U, however, the 58 V10 will also have THX like the TH58PZ800U. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds. Hope so!






Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

after checking out the G10 reviews I'm seriously considering waiting for the V10 to come out since I want the 58"
was originally going to get the TH58PZ850U the V10 may very well be significantly better in terms of PQ, what do you guys think?

mnerren17 is offline  
post #4 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Member
 
Otto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am holding out on the 58" V10. It's gonna seem like a long next couple months, but it will be worth it.
Otto2 is offline  
post #5 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnerren17 View Post

I, also, was going to get the TH58PZ850U but when I heard about the V10 58 inch, I became more interested in waiting. The G10 will only have a 54 inch and it hasn't been released to the pubic. Again, as you said, the G10 reviews are disappointing so I hope the V10 will be much better. I know the 24 P flicker is not supposed to exist on the V10.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all the V10's going to have one front pane of glass and not two like the TH58PZ850U? I know the TH50PZ850U and the TH50PZ800 both have 1 pane of glass. I belive the 58 inch V10 is only going to be one pane all the way across as is the TH50PZ850U..

The 58 V10is replacing the TH58PZ850U, however, the 58 V10 will also have THX like the TH58PZ800U. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds. Hope so!

Let me explain something, the "one piece of glass" is just a design, it will still have "double glass" like all Panasonics(850 included). The reviews of the G-10 haven't been disappointing, they have been all positive. All displays, even the Pioneer Elites, have some "issues" that are pointed out in the evaluation of a display.
speedking is offline  
post #6 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sethk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The reviews have been generally very positive, but individuals could still be disappointed by the information in the reviews, like the 24p flicker, or the fact that they still don't have blacks that equal the Kuros.
sethk is offline  
post #7 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You would be better off just posting in the 2009 Panny plasma thread.
BillP is offline  
post #8 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Member
 
usarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been waiting for the 50" V10, so hopefully I will only have to wait a few more weeks. I think that it is worth the wait for the extra improvements.
usarcher is offline  
post #9 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jeffs386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Daytona Beach Fl
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

The reviews have been generally very positive, but individuals could still be disappointed by the information in the reviews, like the 24p flicker, or the fact that they still don't have blacks that equal the Kuros.

or perhaps it will impress people and not hum like a Kuro
and be brighter than a Kuro and have 1080 lines of motion instead of 900 like a Kuro and use less energy than a Kuro.......you just never know!
Jeffs386 is offline  
post #10 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Member
 
akademiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When does the 50 inch V10 come out.... (sorry my keyboard does not let me put in question marks for some reason lol)
akademiks is offline  
post #11 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sethk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs386 View Post

or perhaps it will impress people and not hum like a Kuro
and be brighter than a Kuro and have 1080 lines of motion instead of 900 like a Kuro and use less energy than a Kuro.......you just never know!

This is very true. I think the new Pannys have it over the Kuros in some ways, it all depends on what you're priorities / preferences are. I'm just saying if all you care about are blacks or you were expecting better than / equal to Kuro blacks, you may have been disappointed by what you read in the reviews.
sethk is offline  
post #12 of 10489 Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jonny5nz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

This is very true. I think the new Pannys have it over the Kuros in some ways, it all depends on what you're priorities / preferences are. I'm just saying if all you care about are blacks or you were expecting better than / equal to Kuro blacks, you may have been disappointed by what you read in the reviews.

Have you read the 50" G10 review from HDGuru?

Quote: "Black levels on the G10, Z800 and the Pioneer's 60 Pro-141 are below my test equipment's accuracy. However, the Pioneer's black is deepest, followed by the new G10 with the Z800 coming in last. The deeper blacks of the Pioneer come at a cost. The Pioneer obscures details in some dark scenes where the G10 revealed every nook and cranny using the same dark content.

An example, the interrogation scene in the Blu-ray disc, Quantum of Solace. At times, the basement's stone walls details were buried into black when viewing the Pioneer, while the textures were always visible on the Panasonic G10.

A related area of dark detail concerns the anti-reflective (AR) filter. Pioneer's monitor produces a purplish cast that tinges both reflections and dark detail, the Panasonic G10's AR filter provided excellent attenuation of reflections while maintaining color neutrality. Score another plus for Panasonic."
Jonny5nz is offline  
post #13 of 10489 Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Newbie
 
mnerren17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

Let me explain something, the "one piece of glass" is just a design, it will still have "double glass" like all Panasonics(850 included). The reviews of the G-10 haven't been disappointing, they have been all positive. All displays, even the Pioneer Elites, have some "issues" that are pointed out in the evaluation of a display.


Thanks for correcting me about the glass. What is the difference in the 50 inch Panasonic compared to the 58 inch Panasonic glass wise? If it's cosmetic, then how is it cosmetically different?

I heard that the THX wasn't as good in the G10's as it was in the 800U and 850U. Is that information wrong? I also heard there will no 24 P flicker in the V10's while the G10's still have the same issue and the 800U and the 850U. Maybe I'm reading bad information, not sure. All I can go by is what I read on this forum and what the people in the review business have to say.
mnerren17 is offline  
post #14 of 10489 Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
creemail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Have you read the 50" G10 review from HDGuru?

Quote: "Black levels on the G10, Z800 and the Pioneer's 60 Pro-141 are below my test equipment's accuracy. However, the Pioneer's black is deepest, followed by the new G10 with the Z800 coming in last. The deeper blacks of the Pioneer come at a cost. The Pioneer obscures details in some dark scenes where the G10 revealed every nook and cranny using the same dark content.

An example, the interrogation scene in the Blu-ray disc, Quantum of Solace. At times, the basement's stone walls details were buried into black when viewing the Pioneer, while the textures were always visible on the Panasonic G10.

A related area of dark detail concerns the anti-reflective (AR) filter. Pioneer's monitor produces a purplish cast that tinges both reflections and dark detail, the Panasonic G10's AR filter provided excellent attenuation of reflections while maintaining color neutrality. Score another plus for Panasonic."

I re-read that review over roughly a few weeks back and from what I get out of this is that black levels are good to have, but don't diminish color accuracy and other areas of picture quality. However, reviewers, such as Chad and D-Nice will question his comments, based on the accuracy of his findings without proper measurement equipment.

Black levels are getting better and better each year. Pioneer does hold the crown (for now), but the 13G's will be very interesting.

Chris
creemail is offline  
post #15 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Member
 
richpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Add me to the list of those who are waiting for the V10's to show up, in my case the 65 inch display.

I had read that these displays were to be 2 inches thick - can anyone confirm this?
richpat is offline  
post #16 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

Add me to the list of those who are waiting for the V10's to show up, in my case the 65 inch display.

I had read that these displays were to be 2 inches thick - can anyone confirm this?

Well it seems that only part of the display is 2" thick. Apparently a very large part of it (most of it?) in the lower/middle area is much thicker while only a portion of the upper rear area is thinner so the "2 inch thick" thing is misleading. Someone posted pictures of the side and rear of the V10's profile several months ago which revealed that most of the back is actually much thicker than 2 inches. I think it was in either the big 2009 12G lineup thread or the 1009 CES thread if you want to scan through the early part of those threads.

Edit - i just looked at the V10 Owners Manual and the line drawing specs state that the upper part is 2.2 inches thick, but the majority of the cabinet is actually 3.3 inches thick. Marketing. Umphh.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #17 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Macungie,PA
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have any idea when the 65v10 will be shipping, I won't the cash till at least the end of the summer so I figure all the Pioneer 141's will be gone by then so might as well get 5" extra especially since I am 16' away from the TV.
bluewaves is offline  
post #18 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post

Anyone have any idea when the 65v10 will be shipping, I won't the cash till at least the end of the summer so I figure all the Pioneer 141's will be gone by then so might as well get 5" extra especially since I am 16' away from the TV.

Since Panasonic said "summer" in their press release, the guess is August. Panny will have 2 65" models, the V-10 and the less expensive S1. At 16' have you considered a front projection system? That's a long way from the screen. You do need a 65"(or more)at that distance.
speedking is offline  
post #19 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sharok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

Since Panasonic said "summer" in their press release, the guess is August. Panny will have 2 65" models, the V-10 and the less expensive S1. At 16' have you considered a front projection system? That's a long way from the screen. You do need a 65"(or more)at that distance.

Good Morning speedking,
That was me who talked about 16' distance :-)
As you sugessted last time, I'm going for a 65" v10 to replace my LC-D6593U Sharp LCD TV. Unfortunately, I cannot use a projector at my home (lighting issues).
sharok is offline  
post #20 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Good Morning speedking,
That was me who talked about 16' distance :-)
As you sugessted last time, I'm going for a 65" v10 to replace my LC-D6593U Sharp LCD TV. Unfortunately, I cannot use a projector at my home (lighting issues).

Good morning sharok,

Yes, I remember our conversation, but I was just posting with bluewaves....wait a minute...are you the same person? Is this your alter ego or other persona? I only had 4 beers last night so I'm sure I was just posting with someone named bluewaves.
speedking is offline  
post #21 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well it seems that only part of the display is 2" thick. Apparently a very large part of it (most of it?) in the lower/middle area is much thicker while only a portion of the upper rear area is thinner so the "2 inch thick" thing is misleading. Someone posted pictures of the side and rear of the V10's profile several months ago which revealed that most of the back is actually much thicker than 2 inches. I think it was in either the big 2009 12G lineup thread or the 1009 CES thread if you want to scan through the early part of those threads.

Edit - i just looked at the V10 Owners Manual and the line drawing specs state that the upper part is 2.2 inches thick, but the majority of the cabinet is actually 3.3 inches thick. Marketing. Umphh.

Ah, i found the picture from Feb 3rd in the 12G Lineup thread, and it shows the Japanese version of the 50" V10 along with the Z1 and PZ800U as comparisons. Now i'm wondering if the 65 inch V10 will have the same thin-then-thick cabinet design that the 50 inch version does:


Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #22 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Ah, i found the picture from Feb 3rd in the 12G Lineup thread, and it shows the Japanese version of the 50" V10 along with the Z1 and PZ800U as comparisons. Now i'm wondering if the 65 inch V10 will have the same thin-then-thick cabinet design that the 50 inch version does:


I'm not one of the "fashion" oriented buyers, as I prefer a stand over a wall mount, but the Z1 makes the 800U look like a rear projection set. That is one slim puppy. I had forgotten all about that picture, seems like years ago when these 09 Panny threads started. Great post Randy.
speedking is offline  
post #23 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
sharok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

Good morning sharok,

Yes, I remember our converstation, but I was just posting with bluewaves....wait a minute...are you the same person? Is this your alter ego or other persona? I only had 4 beers last night so I'm sure I was just posting with someone named bluewaves.

Hi speedking,
Nooooo. He did not say that his seating distance is 16'. you mentioned it :-)
and I just wanted to let you know that I was the one who had that problem.
sharok is offline  
post #24 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Notice the V model wall mounting holes has been relocated more to the bottom of the panel.
JChin is offline  
post #25 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The thing is, Samsung has an inch thick 50" tv coming out next month at $2199. I'm not really sure who Panasonic is marketing with their $5999 set ultra slim set.
StinDaWg is online now  
post #26 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Hi speedking,
Nooooo. He did not say that his seating distance is 16'. you mentioned it :-)
and I just wanted to let you know that I was the one who had that problem.


He said,"since I am 16' away.....he said it not me. I do hear voices from time to time, but I am pretty focused on the printed posts, LOL..
speedking is offline  
post #27 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Member
 
usarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

The thing is, Samsung has an inch thick 50" tv coming out next month at $2199. I'm not really sure who Panasonic is marketing with their $5999 set ultra slim set.

Not saying its worth it but does the Samsung have the Wireless HD setup? New tech always costs more the first time around.
usarcher is offline  
post #28 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
 
speedking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

The thing is, Samsung has an inch thick 50" tv coming out next month at $2199. I'm not really sure who Panasonic is marketing with their $5999 set ultra slim set.


That probably means a lot lighter TV, something the repair tech will like when they come to someone's house and have to haul the defective tv to the shop.
speedking is offline  
post #29 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
sharok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

That probably means a lot lighter TV, something the repair tech will like when they come to someone's house and have to haul the defective tv to the shop.

You're correct. :-)

He has the same sitting distance as I do!

If him and I buy our TVs the same day, we may be able to receive a discount from BB.
sharok is offline  
post #30 of 10489 Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

That probably means a lot lighter TV, something the repair tech will like when they come to someone's house and have to haul the defective tv to the shop.

57 pounds on the 50".
StinDaWg is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off