Best Computer Monitor for TV... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure exactly where to post this so hopefully this is right as I am assuming the best choice will be and LCD option.

What I am looking to do is have my computer monitor have the ability to display cable TV. I know you can do things with USB devices or PCI cards, however I was wondering if anyone knew of a monitor that had a coax input to just get your basic cable. I do not intend to get another Digital Box just for this as my desire to for TV would not justify that cost.

I am not looking to do DVR or anything, I just want something were I could have TV pulled up on my monitor while doing some basic computer work.

Hopefully I would be able to resize the box and all that good stuff. I know I saw computer monitors with this years ago and I am not sure they still make them.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^
By definition a monitor has no tuner, so it would not have a coax input.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They use to exist. I know because I had one. A Samsung waaaaaay back in the day. A good 5-6 years ago.

Then maybe someone has a suggestion for a 20-23 inch LCD that would work well for this, but primarily as a monitor.

My fear with the LCDTV is the PiP probably will not work
post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

you just need a regular LCD or plasma panel that has atsc tuners for over the air digital tv broadcast using an antenna and also has a QAM tuner, the QAM tuner is for the cable channels that are unscrambled/unencrypted from your cable provider.

as wasabi points out monitors do not have tuners.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'd say if you just want a 20-24 inch monitor then buy a computer monitor. If you need a TV that can double as a computer monitor, which is what I think you are wanting, then go with a 32 inch LCD since I don't think they make Plasma in 32inch flavor anymore.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

The best computer monitor ever made is the Sony GDM-FW900 and it's SGI branded counterparts. Just look at the blacks on this thing, they make the Kuro blacks look gray. The Sony Artisan is also an awesome computer monitor, but it's 4:3 instead of 16:10.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Actually, I think this thread should be in another section of the forum, since there are no plasma computer moitors. That being said, I think the best LCD computer monitors are made by Samsung, and one of their 24" should be great, since they have full 1920 x 1200 resolution and would handle 1080p directly. They have both component and DVI inputs; you can buy an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. I have not tried doing this, and I am not sure whether you will get any scaling problems, because of the different vertical resolution of widescreen computer monitors; they are all 16:10 instead of 16:9.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

Actually, I think this thread should be in another section of the forum, since there are no plasma computer moitors. That being said, I think the best LCD computer monitors are made by Samsung, and one of their 24" should be great, since they have full 1920 x 1200 resolution and would handle 1080p directly. They have both component and DVI inputs; you can buy an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. I have not tried doing this, and I am not sure whether you will get any scaling problems, because of the different vertical resolution of widescreen computer monitors; they are all 16:10 instead of 16:9.

I love Dell's monitors. I had the 2408 and currently using the 2709, they are both 1920 x 1200 and looks great. I used them as my tv & gaming. They both have picture in picture.

But yeah, they are LCDs not plasmas. And don't have a tuner.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page