post #31 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

true, but you have witheld requested information in the krp thread that does influence your business. and you stated you wouldnt give that info because its your trade secret. thats a little contradiction on your part.

Oh give me a break. It was the non-Elite thread NOT KRP thread. Why don't you take the time to READ exactly what I stated and WHY I said it. The primary reason why I will not tell anyone else how to calibrate Pure Cinema Advance is because it's a pain in the ass to do. People cannot even enter the settings I've provided for FREE into ControlCAL without screwing it up. Do you really think I want to deal the additional headaches associated with the same people who are clueless on the Service Menu beyond what I'm currently doing now??? NOT!

I bust my ass to provide a wealth of free information to this forum. Can you say the same?

Quote:

btw, i wasnt insinuating anything besides the point that you have to realize you speak from a calibrators point of view on the subject.

You don't know what point of view I speak from. How many calibrators do you know provide settings and support for displays at NO CHARGE? How many calibrators do you know who are willing to take the time to teach those who want to learn how to calibrate there sets with calibration equipment for FREE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you for your review, gten79. I have been thinking about getting my 58 inch Panasonic plasma calibrated, for over 15 months now. After reading your rave review, checking out the Chad B. website and the customer reviews, I went ahead and made a contact for calibration. I am glad he services this area.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #33 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Why? Do you enjoy a bunch of sheep running around with your settings saying how great they are? I could see if they were in fact great and where a improvement over just hitting reset and dropping contrast some. Atleast color would be back to zero and there would be less oversaturation.

what have you provided to anyone here?

ON TOPIC

Thanks for the info on chad, i live in dayton and will be getting my 151 calibrated soon. Im just debating on chad doing it or having d-nice do it as he tours through ohio (if thats still happening)
post #34 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why? Do you enjoy a bunch of sheep running around with your settings saying how great they are? I could see if they were in fact great and where a improvement over just hitting reset and dropping contrast some. Atleast color would be back to zero and there would be less oversaturation.

A color setting of zero yields less saturated colors and luminance levels. You would know this if you actually knew anything about the Kuros.
post #35 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

Thanks for the info on chad, i live in dayton and will be getting my 151 calibrated soon. Im just debating on chad doing it or having d-nice do it as he tours through ohio (if thats still happening)

Still trying to make it happen
post #36 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

My pro-calibrated color is +3.
post #37 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks good with any quality source.
post #38 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have said in the past i would rather see people come up with their own settings that they feel is best. Not just be a sheep and copy someone else's settings. People deserve poor pq when they take this route.

so his recommended settings are now equivalent to having your set professionally calibrated. his settings are a foundation for users to use and tweak to their liking. it is not a calibration and it is not 100% accurate
whats next torch mode is accurate because some feel the picture is better than a dim pure mode on an elite kuro? give me a break

he posts the before and after plotsof his calibrations and his results are spot on. i think anyone would believe d-nice on anything kuro over you

colors are a standard. red is a value, not what my eyes tell me is red. your eye isnt a professional meter
post #39 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Ok kuro god. If you trusted your eyes more than your data you would easily know even zero is still oversaturated. Since you know absolutely nothing what a accurate picture looks like, only what data tells you, i don't expect you to know.

This is possibly the most idiotic thing I have read on this forum. Would you want your butcher to "calibrate" his scales by pressing down with a finger and saying "Yeah, that's about a pound." Or how about the guy calibrating your gas pump to pump a 5 gallon paint bucket ~1/5 full and call it a gallon. "Calibration" by definition is done to a standard. Whether it is a butcher's scale, a gas pump or a television. The D65 grayscale standard is what it is. Same for primary and secondary color point standards. One can no more "eyeball" these values with any degree of accuracy than you could determine the temperature of an oven by sticking your hand in it.

Symmetry is the most boring and unimaginative form of balance.
post #40 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajmacd View Post

This is possibly the most idiotic thing I have read on this forum. Would you want your butcher to "calibrate" his scales by pressing down with a finger and saying "Yeah, that's about a pound." Or how about the guy calibrating your gas pump to pump a 5 gallon paint bucket ~1/5 full and call it a gallon. "Calibration" by definition is done to a standard. Whether it is a butcher's scale, a gas pump or a television. The D65 grayscale standard is what it is. Same for primary and secondary color point standards. One can no more "eyeball" these values with any degree of accuracy than you could determine the temperature of an oven by sticking your hand in it.

LOL!

Judging by his posts, he already uses his head to check the temperature.
post #41 of 63 Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I really dig those best buy speakers fanatic.
post #42 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

measure literally perfect in pure mode with minor adjsutments

So measurements are useless, you should trust your eyes, yet....the Kuros measure literally perfect with minor adjustments.

Wow.
post #43 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

My pro-calibrated color is +3.

I use color +3 w/Pure mode too.

I got most, not all, of my setting's from tweaktv.com and they make my display look better than those so-called "reference" valuess for the "official" PRO-150FD (Pioneer 8G) settings thread.
post #44 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Oh give me a break. It was the non-Elite thread NOT KRP thread. Why don't you take the time to READ exactly what I stated and WHY I said it. The primary reason why I will not tell anyone else how to calibrate Pure Cinema Advance is because it's a pain in the ass to do. People cannot even enter the settings I've provided for FREE into ControlCAL without screwing it up. Do you really think I want to deal the additional headaches associated with the same people who are clueless on the Service Menu beyond what I'm currently doing now??? NOT!

I bust my ass to provide a wealth of free information to this forum. Can you say the same?

You don't know what point of view I speak from. How many calibrators do you know provide settings and support for displays at NO CHARGE? How many calibrators do you know who are willing to take the time to teach those who want to learn how to calibrate there sets with calibration equipment for FREE?

you make some valid points, and i think everyone agrees you do bust your ass to provide a wealth of information here. as a matter of fact your contributions are one of the main reasons i check into these forums on a regular basis. beleive me buddy, i apprecaite your wisdom just as much as anyone else. and you are right, it was the non elite thread. my fault for not remembering the specific details. but in all of that, its neither here or there. pertaining to the topic at hand.....well lets just say im not going to repeat myself for the third time.
post #45 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

so his recommended settings are now equivalent to having your set professionally calibrated. his settings are a foundation for users to use and tweak to their liking. it is not a calibration and it is not 100% accurate
whats next torch mode is accurate because some feel the picture is better than a dim pure mode on an elite kuro? give me a break

he posts the before and after plotsof his calibrations and his results are spot on. i think anyone would believe d-nice on anything kuro over you

colors are a standard. red is a value, not what my eyes tell me is red. your eye isnt a professional meter

i think its safe to say there are enough settings posted for all the kuros here in avs that one could find what they like even if its not d-nices' settings. i for one would try them all and tweak to my liking. if they dont fall within calibrated range then ill move on to the next one. or heaven forbid calibrate my damn self, lol.
post #46 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well I find it funny how quickly this thread got out of hand. I'm sure you guys didn't mean to hijack it however the intent of this thread was to tell others about the wonderful experience I had purchasing Chad B. services.
post #47 of 63 Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gten79 View Post

Well I find it funny how quickly this thread got out of hand. I'm sure you guys didn't mean to hijack it however the intent of this thread was to tell others about the wonderful experience I had purchasing Chad B. services.

I'll second that, I had Chad out a little over a month ago to calibrate my PRO-151FD. I'm still amazed every time I turn on the TV.

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
Belleville, MI
post #48 of 63 Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Gten79, Forget those knuckleheads, and by their posts on this thread it's easy to do just that. I really enjoyed your experiences w/Chad B, and the results of the calibration. Keep it up, I want to read more!
post #49 of 63 Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12
I have had Chad B. calibrate a 34 inch Sony XBR970 and a Pioneer 5010. Both times he was nothing but spectacular. As long as I live in the Midwest I will continue to use his services for my display calibrations.
post #50 of 63 Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

My Pure mode is set at +3 color, which looks correct - not just because D-Nice said so (though I certainly took that into account) but because that is the level that looks best using the image montage on DVE (+2 was a very close alternative).

Go Duke !
post #51 of 63 Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

My Pure mode is set at +3 color, which looks correct - not just because D-Nice said so (though I certainly took that into account) but because that is the level that looks best using the image montage on DVE (+2 was a very close alternative).

I'm reluctant to get involved in this thread, but I do feel the settings that people post tend to look oversaturated (based purely on subjective observation). I'm therefore using Pure mode with the color at -5 for 720p and 1080i, and at -10 for 480i. Even then, I sometimes feel it should be even lower.

I bought an Eye-One Display LT on Craigslist. I guess I'll see what setting is truly correct for my display.

--Eric
post #52 of 63 Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Massive cleanup. Post about ISF calibrations or don't post. Thanks.

alrry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #53 of 63 Old 04-24-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Massive cleanup. Post about ISF calibrations or don't post. Thanks.

alrry

Ey YO! Get the name right.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #54 of 63 Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Just a heads up, I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Whenever Chad comes to your home and Calibrates your tv don't make the same mistake I did by popping in Dark Knight. He's too nice to say it but guys he is sick and tired of watching this film.

If you really want to get on his good side pop in anything by Will Ferrell! Unfortunately the man doesn't get to see as much of his work these days. Who knows he may even give you a discount! But when you do, you just have to be there to see how his face lights up whenever Will is on the screen. Trust me he will be very very appreaciative!
post #55 of 63 Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Thank you for your review, gten79. I have been thinking about getting my 58 inch Panasonic plasma calibrated, for over 15 months now. After reading your rave review, checking out the Chad B. website and the customer reviews, I went ahead and made a contact for calibration. I am glad he services this area.

I emailed him about a calibration for my TV a couple of weeks ago but I never heard back from him.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #56 of 63 Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I read in another thread that he''s on vacation, gotta have some down time. I contacted him and he did respond quickly initially saying he would be in my area around May15, but I'm not sure that would work for me so I asked when the next trip would be -- I too haven't heard back. I guess he'll get caught up when he's back from FL.
post #57 of 63 Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Hi guys, thanks so much for the kind words and sorry about the slow responses! Yes, I'm in FL right now with very limited internet access. I'll be hitting the scheduling hard in a few days. I know I got flooded with PM's here and have not been able to keep up.
post #58 of 63 Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Hi guys, thanks so much for the kind words and sorry about the slow responses! Yes, I'm in FL right now with very limited internet access. I'll be hitting the scheduling hard in a few days. I know I got flooded with PM's here and have not been able to keep up.

Hey Chad, the best time to come down here to Florida is in Winter!
post #59 of 63 Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Within days of my new Pioneers arriving the first thing I did was call and make an appointment with Chad to come and talk about the calibrations I was planning to make.

Thanks for your calibration report. I took the liberty of reposting it in the 9G Elite owner's thread so that more owner's will have a chance to read it. It's also included in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #60 of 63 Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Chad is at my house right now calibrating my Panasonic 58pz700u plasma

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra