Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted about three weeks ago that I had been initially disappointed with the picture, but that using Dan's settings from post #86 had improved things. With the passage of time, the picture under those settings has seemed to get murky, with the brown/gray overlay I noted more pronounced. Today, watching over-the-air NBC Sports programming (a car race under mostly overcast skies; a very bright outdoor beach volleyball match, and now the Hall of Fame football game that started out under daylight and transitioned to under the lights), I've switched back to the Standard mode, and the picture is just outstanding. I've sat through this entire meaningless football game, just marveling at how great the picture is. I think I have everything set at the default settings, except the cell light; I've been fiddling around with it, and can't decide where I like it best.

I bought the set right after the 4th of July. I don't have any idea how many hours of use it's had at this point.

I need to find a golf program or a baseball game on a natural grass field to see if the "day-glo" green I was noting before has toned itself down.

I haven't explored this forum very much; is there a particular thread or FAQ section that covers, for beginners, the process and equipment that are needed to calibrate a TV? Or is more of a thing where you just have to spend time reading through a lot discussions to pick it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Patel View Post

I need to find a golf program or a baseball game on a natural grass field to see if the "day-glo" green I was noting before has toned itself down.

If not, try turning the Tint control toward green; say G55 or so.

Greg Lee
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Got mine delivered yesterday, woke up this morning turned it on to play the break in DVD and discovered a dead pixel! Called Amazon and had them send out a new one today. Anyone have problems with this?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Patel View Post

I posted about three weeks ago that I had been initially disappointed with the picture, but that using Dan's settings from post #86 had improved things. With the passage of time, the picture under those settings has seemed to get murky, with the brown/gray overlay I noted more pronounced. Today, watching over-the-air NBC Sports programming (a car race under mostly overcast skies; a very bright outdoor beach volleyball match, and now the Hall of Fame football game that started out under daylight and transitioned to under the lights), I've switched back to the Standard mode, and the picture is just outstanding. I've sat through this entire meaningless football game, just marveling at how great the picture is. I think I have everything set at the default settings, except the cell light; I've been fiddling around with it, and can't decide where I like it best.

I bought the set right after the 4th of July. I don't have any idea how many hours of use it's had at this point.

I haven't explored this forum very much; is there a particular thread or FAQ section that covers, for beginners, the process and equipment that are needed to calibrate a TV? Or is more of a thing where you just have to spend time reading through a lot discussions to pick it up?

I have some revised settings for Standard on the page just before. I had it set for a long time with a group of settings I liked, but decided to see if time had helped and I could adjust it to enhance it more. It was a foolish thing to do because now I'm obsessed with it again and can't decide what I like best.

But for a set like this it's hard to warrant worrying so much. Just set it to what you like and be done.

There is a calibration sub-forum which has a lot of info and tools to help. I used the AVSHD (I think that's the name) calibration dvd. It's free to use. But you need a color filter to do it right. The DVE disc has a filter included and you can usually get it cheap off amazon.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fst4u_7 View Post

Got mine delivered yesterday, woke up this morning turned it on to play the break in DVD and discovered a dead pixel! Called Amazon and had them send out a new one today. Anyone have problems with this?

Not all that uncommon and what's worse for you.. it might not actually be dead at all. Sometimes new plasmas will have a few misbehaving pixels which eventually settle down and start behaving as they should (pixel might start out as working then stop or it decides to display only one color, but then, it springs back to permanent normal operation again, all within the first 100 hours or so).

That's why it's always best not to freak out and act hastily until you know for sure, giving it a week or two. The replacement might turn out to have one or more truly dead pixels and then what? Will Amazon keep replacing at your word with no restock charge?

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Forgive me if it's already been covered, but could someone please tell me whether it's a bad idea to just pick up a PN50B430 from Target or Best Buy instead of ordering a PN50B450? Information on Samsung's site is pretty nebulous, and incorrect in some cases (native panel resoultion is listed at 1024 x 768 on the 50" model), so I don't really trust it, but if one less HDMI port is really the only difference, then I really don't care.

Thanks.

The musicians I listen to are so underground they haven't even heard of themselves.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Blue View Post

Forgive me if it's already been covered, but could someone please tell me whether it's a bad idea to just pick up a PN50B430 from Target or Best Buy instead of ordering a PN50B450? Information on Samsung's site is pretty nebulous, and incorrect in some cases (native panel resoultion is listed at 1024 x 768 on the 50" model), so I don't really trust it, but if one less HDMI port is really the only difference, then I really don't care.

Thanks.

I don't see a PN50B430 listed on the Samsung site. You might want to call up to verify.

With the prices the same on the PN50B430 and PN50B450 at Best Buy I would just get the B450.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Blue View Post

... just pick up a PN50B430 from Target or Best Buy instead of ordering a PN50B450?

Here it has this Q+A:
question: "What's the difference between the PN50B450 and PN50B430?"
answer: "The main differences between the two sets are that the B450 has FilterBright, composite connections on the side and a PC input."

Greg Lee
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Here it has this Q+A:
question: "What's the difference between the PN50B450 and PN50B430?"
answer: "The main differences between the two sets are that the B450 has FilterBright, composite connections on the side and a PC input."

Thanks, Greg. That's exactly what I was looking for. And yeah, your info agrees with what I managed to figure out by going and examining them in person since my original post. The build quality is also a bit different in that the 450 has a slight crimson hue to the existing plastic at the bottom of the bezel, while the 430 just has a cheap-looking crimson plastic stip tacked on. I managed to negotiate a great deal on the 450 from Best Buy today, and I'm enjoying it as I type.

The musicians I listen to are so underground they haven't even heard of themselves.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How much banding is there on this display?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 AM

I just got this bad boy yesterday and its displays a beautiful picture. When taking in account the price, its an amazing value.

Just wanted to chime in regarding picture settings. I thought it looked great out of the box on Standard. I tried Dan's settings and the picture does seem a bit dull and dark. I applied dallow's settings on the previous page and picture seems great. Will let it be for a week and then look again. I'm connected via HDMI to FiOS HDTV and via component to my XBOX. Both output in 720p.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After 500-1000 hours, I looked over the settings again and made some adjustments.

Movie Mode, Warm 2 setting
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 40
Tint: G47/R53

Advanced: Everything off or zero except:
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
White Balance:
Red Offset: 26
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 15
Red Gain: 26
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: 20

For those who's picture is slightly red with my previous settings, you may want to try these new settings. This gives me 38 ftL and a pretty natural image also. It's a little more blue than my previous settings, so it might work for those who didn't care for the previous settings.

Dan
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksand1956 View Post

I personally, haven't seen any.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksand1956 View Post

On mine, honestly, there's tons while viewing in a dark room. It's brand new though, so we'll see how it looks after a while.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM

So do you guys think that using a Gamecube on this Plasma is a bad idea?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizdan View Post

So do you guys think that using a Gamecube on this Plasma is a bad idea?

No. Why would it be?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Liked: 11
StereomanDan you the man I liked your other settings, so I'm sure these new one are great also, once again thank youu so much for taking time to post them for us. They came and gave me a new panel couple weeks ago because of the pink and new panel is better except that it has one stubborn green pixel that dont seem to want to change color I tried pixar movies and scrooling screen and still there, good thing is I cant see it from more the 5 feet away. Hopefuly it will wake up soon. Dallows I also use your settings during the day when its brighter in the house. Thank you for the standard settings
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

No. Why would it be?

Increased chance of Burn in since games huds dont fade away like todays generation of games
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizdan View Post

Increased chance of Burn in since games huds dont fade away like todays generation of games

Ah. I haven't seen an issue with my panel yet and I've left images on for a while, including games with a pretty static hud. I don't think you should be worried.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Ah. I haven't seen an issue with my panel yet and I've left images on for a while, including games with a pretty static hud. I don't think you should be worried.

Hey guys. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for putting their two cents in about this television as I've looked at if for a while, just recently purchased it.

About the IR or burn-in, as I am new to this, and just received my 42" yesterday I fell asleep, after moving into an apartment all day with the black bars on the sides of the screen (brand new out of the box, 8+ hours on the screen). I cannot tell that there is any IR whatsoever.

Thank you to dallows and dan for their settings, haven't used a bluray for dan's just yet but for everyday viewing (HD and SD) for the 48ish hours I've watched seem fantastic, albeit the default settings also look good.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM

I didn't know where to post this, I hope someone can help.

I bought this TV with the Amazon deal of a free HDMI cable and Sylvania NB530SLX blu-ray player. I'm sure this is a stupid question but the blu-ray player has been out of stock for a while now. I received the HDMI promptly but I wonder how long Amazon's going to be out of this particular player?

Anyone else get the same deal? I'm thinking about selling the player to get a better one but who knows, if it does what it's supposed to I'm sure I'll be happy.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moziwozi View Post

... and Sylvania NB530SLX blu-ray player. I'm sure this is a stupid question but the blu-ray player has been out of stock for a while now. ...

Amazon's entry for this player now says "In stock". If you want opinions about the quality of this player, you might inquire in the Blu-ray Players forum.

Greg Lee
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey guys. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for putting their two cents in about this television as I've looked at if for a while, just recently purchased it.

About the IR or burn-in, as I am new to this, and just received my 42" yesterday I fell asleep, after moving into an apartment all day with the black bars on the sides of the screen (brand new out of the box, 8+ hours on the screen). I cannot tell that there is any IR whatsoever.

Thank you to dallows and dan for their settings, haven't used a bluray for dan's just yet but for everyday viewing (HD and SD) for the 48ish hours I've watched seem fantastic, albeit the default settings also look good.

I think plasmas have come a long way with regards to their IR.

It seems with this model you get 1 of 2 panels. The first is like my set, where Standard seems to give the better picture and the 2nd being like Dan's, where Movie mode is the way to go.

The only thing I'm struggling with now is whether to go back to 47 brightness or not. 47-51 isn't a huge difference though.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:

...I'm struggling with now is whether to go back to 47 brightness or not. 47-51 isn't a huge difference though.

The settings you gave are great although I am coming from years of CRT viewing so there is a "wow" factor for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I didn't know where to post this, I hope someone can help.

I bought this TV with the Amazon deal of a free HDMI cable and Sylvania NB530SLX blu-ray player. I'm sure this is a stupid question but the blu-ray player has been out of stock for a while now. I received the HDMI promptly but I wonder how long Amazon's going to be out of this particular player?

Anyone else get the same deal? I'm thinking about selling the player to get a better one but who knows, if it does what it's supposed to I'm sure I'll be happy.

I did the same deal on the 4th or so. Got the cable last Friday, the TV on Monday, and will be getting the blu-ray player on Monday. So I would give it a week or so. Anyways they don't charge you for the DVD player until it ships.

I plan on selling mine. Don't have any blu-ray content right now anyways.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batch View Post

I did the same deal on the 4th or so. Got the cable last Friday, the TV on Monday, and will be getting the blu-ray player on Monday. So I would give it a week or so. Anyways they don't charge you for the DVD player until it ships.

Net-flix go.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batch View Post

I don't know if Amazon did you the same way but they have currently charged me $532 for the TV and $8.10 for the cable. The blu-ray has yet to ship, but will they charge me $159.99? I opted for Super Saver Shipping and the order total is $679. I was just wondering how this all worked. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Like some people in this topic, I've got many problems calibrating the tv, especially the colors....on TV channels, the faces looks like yellow aliens ( ), with dvd's (I don't have any blu ray yet ) they're more red...etc...even if I try to change this, there's always this yellow/red tint on the image. (I'm obliged to stay in "cold" colors in standard....if I choose Warm 2 in Movie Mode, or the other modes, it's too much yellow )

I've tried many configurations of this topic, no one works well with my B450...

I think I'll just stop trying to find great colors, and adapt my eyes .....

(sorry for my english, i'm French )
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser View Post

Like some people in this topic, I've got many problems calibrating the tv, especially the colors....on TV channels, the faces looks like yellow aliens ( ), with dvd's (I don't have any blu ray yet ) they're more red...etc...even if I try to change this, there's always this yellow/red tint on the image. (I'm obliged to stay in "cold" colors in standard....if I choose Warm 2 in Movie Mode, or the other modes, it's too much yellow )

I've tried many configurations of this topic, no one works well with my B450...

I think I'll just stop trying to find great colors, and adapt my eyes .....

(sorry for my english, i'm French )

I would try to pick up the DVE disc from amazon and wait until you have 150hours or so on the set. And then run through your own calibration. It's pretty easy though you can drive yourself crazy with trying to perfect things like the colors.

On my set Standard was pretty on the ball at it's default.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the inputs will have separate settings from each other. Meaning if you set the preferences on HDMI 1, HDMI 2 will not take those settings. I'm assuming it's the same for the Components and Composite, but I haven't really checked.

How are you hooking up your equipment?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I would try to pick up the DVE disc from amazon and wait until you have 150hours or so on the set. And then run through your own calibration. It's pretty easy though you can drive yourself crazy with trying to perfect things like the colors.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:

The other thing to keep in mind is that the inputs will have separate settings from each other. Meaning if you set the preferences on HDMI 1, HDMI 2 will not take though settings.

Yep, I discovered this a few days ago .

Quote:

How are you hooking up your equipment?

I'm using my TV (excepting the tv channels) only with my PS3, for blu rays, dvds, and gaming. (i'm not sure I answered your question )

Tags
Samsung