Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the info guys
Also, just wondering what are the exact differences between the B450 and last years A450? Spec wise, i've noticed that the B450 has 600hz and a better AntiGlare screen, any other differences regarding Color, Blacks ect?

And again, alot of people are saying the B550 has better color(and maybe blacks, not too sure) than the B450...yet why doesn't Samsung pull off a panasonic and release 42" 1080p displays? I would of liked having a higher 1080p and native resolution...BUT, based on what people are saying there wont be any difference at all if you're sitting around 9 feet aways from a 42" display with a resolution of 1024x768 like the B450...Besides if i do decide to get it, I'd just keep it for 2 years and upgrade to a 50" 1080p 3D Ready HDTV once the Wii2 and PS4 hits like i mentioned before.

Anyways...I could live with slighty inferior blacks that the B450 has compared to my CRT, in favor of

~720 HD(the lower res kind..1024x768 ;p)
~Progressive Scan
~HDMI
~Widescreen
~A Beautiful, Black, Flat Panel and Not so 'dinasaur' heavy cooler looking display.

Again though i'm dieing to see how the Wii would look on it.
My VGA Wii cable will be coming in the mail in a couple of days so i can test it out on my Samsung 23" 1080p LCD Computer Monitor for fun...Obviously the Samsung B450 will beat it out regarding Color, Motion and Blacks
Anyways, I'll probably check the 42B450 out in a couple of days at BestBuy/Future Shop and play around with it....And if I like, well...You can say goodbye to my CRT ;p

PS: Is there a Costume mode on this set, or can you just adjust the settings in the Modes that the TV has?
And on another note, my Uncle has a Panasonic PZ85u from last year, got a solid Picture when i played around with it on Costum Mode...The colors could of been alittle better though, the blacks seemed good enough to me. THe downside is that when i tried the Wii on it, it was hooked up with Composite cables, so of course you're going to get crappier color, a less sharp/crisp image, not as bright and No progressive scan. Another thing is that the TV could of been 'alittle' brighter...I never got a chance to see any Bluray movies on it, instead i was watching HD movies on TV, so obviously they're not going to look as good as Bluray. All in all, the PZ85u seemed pretty Solid...The blacks were great, the Color was good, could of been a tad bit better, motion wasn't as good as my crt and it could of been alittle better brighter. And i bet the B450 will be beat it regarding Color and Motion...Brightness and Blacks maybe too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Update My colorometer was measuring red incorrectly, so I adjusted the meter, and created a new calibration. I am very happy with these. The adjustment focused on the greyscale (white balance), and now whites are a nice white, and dark areas are dark grey with little hint of any color skew.

Movie Mode, Warm 2 setting
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50 (this can vary from 48 to 52 depending on what input or source you are using)
Sharpness: 20 for standard definition content. I use 5 for HD content (Blu-Ray, or High Def Channels)
Color: 38
Tint: G42/R58

Advanced: Everything off or zero except:
Gamma: 0 (or -1 if you like)
Color Space: Auto

White Balance:
Red Offset: 21
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 15
Red Gain: 25
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: 27

Dallows, can you tell me how this looks on your set?
EDIT: Tweaked a little more and now it's even better. New numbers have been updated above on 11-28-09 (white balance and Color)

Dan
post #363 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Ok, so I noticed that my black and white pictures were showing hints of blue and red. I think my colorometer doesn't measure my Plasma very well, so I calibrated by eye and here are my new settings. I am very happy with these. The adjustment focused on the greyscale (white balance), and now whites are a nice white, and dark areas are dark grey with little hint of any color skew.

Movie Mode, Warm 2 setting
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 40
Tint: G47/R53

Advanced: Everything off or zero except:
Gamma: 0 (or -1 if you like)
Color Space: Native

White Balance:
Red Offset: 3
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 4
Red Gain: 23
Green Gain: 3
Blue Gain: 24

Dallows, can you tell me how this looks on your set?

Dan

I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow night. I still kinda feel like I'm being gypped by the differences with the Movie mode though. Still need to contact Samsung about it.
post #364 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM

I have read every single reply on this forum tonight. I have tried some of the settings, but some of them I cannot change. I am trying Dans new settings. I am using Input HDMI2/DVI.

It will not let me change to Warm 2. I cannot change color, tint, or a few others. Im sorry I'm a noob. It allowed me to change them to the CABLE settings using componet cables.

But I want to calibrate my western digital hd tv media player for my blu-rays.

PLEASE, someone...? do I have to access service menu's? and how do I do that?
post #365 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
Lilc a big welcome to you The only way you can access warm2 is to be in movie mode. Not sure why you cant change color/tint, are you using hdmi?.

Dan I tried your new white balance settings and I cant really tell the difference from the old onesThey still look great on my tv. I can notice the difference though from your very 1st ones to these though. How does your chart show with the new wb settings
post #366 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

Lilc a big welcome to you The only way you can access warm2 is to be in movie mode. Not sure why you cant change color/tint, are you using hdmi?.

I tried it in movie mode also. Still cannot change into settings listed. Yes it's hdmi. Maybe because it's hdmi/dvi slot? I'll try using hdmi slot 1. Checking now.

EDIT* I moved the HDMI to HDMI-3(the one on the side of the panel) All menus are now accessible.
post #367 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilc3 View Post

I tried it in movie mode also. Still cannot change into settings listed. Yes it's hdmi. Maybe because it's hdmi/dvi slot? I'll try using hdmi slot 1. Checking now.

EDIT* I moved the HDMI to HDMI-3(the one on the side of the panel) All menus are now accessible.

Did you try HDMI 1? I don't think the settings would be locked for HDMI2 as I have my xbox360 on that and I can adjust them fine. I'm talking about tint/color, etc. The Color Temp is locked at cool or normal in Standard. Movie mode has the others unlocked.

If you could take a picture of the HDMI2 settings page with the locked out items it might help us figure it out.

Oh. you could also try a factory reset maybe. When you turned the tv on for the first time it ran through the initial setup right? You would've chosen Home as Store or maybe demo could change things.
post #368 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Did you try HDMI 1? I don't think the settings would be locked for HDMI2 as I have my xbox360 on that and I can adjust them fine. I'm talking about tint/color, etc. The Color Temp is locked at cool or normal in Standard. Movie mode has the others unlocked.

If you could take a picture of the HDMI2 settings page with the locked out items it might help us figure it out.

Oh. you could also try a factory reset maybe. When you turned the tv on for the first time it ran through the initial setup right? You would've chosen Home as Store or maybe demo could change things.

I put it back to HDMI2, everything was shaded out again. Cannot change them. The pics are below. Kinda hard to see but on STANDARD and MOVIE modes, Sharpness Color and TINT are shaded out and cannot be changed.
And in ADVANCED settings, Only Gamma and White Balance can be changed. This seems to be only in HDMI2/DVI input.

Sorry, Movie Mode Photo also...
post #369 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM

All is well now. Just moved the wd hd tv media player to hdmi 3. Changed settings to "Calibration Settings HDMI 1080P input:" and it looks amazing.

Anyone have any good gaming settings? my xbox360 looks great with the default settings...

I really appreciate this forum. I used it for my panny 42" also. I am greatful for all your comments and suggestions gentleman/ladies.
post #370 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All is well now. Just moved the wd hd tv media player to hdmi 3. Changed settings to "Calibration Settings HDMI 1080P input:" and it looks amazing.

Anyone have any good gaming settings? my xbox360 looks great with the default settings...

I really appreciate this forum. I used it for my panny 42" also. I am greatful for all your comments and suggestions gentleman/ladies.

Wheres the bolded option from?

and whats the western digital symbol from?
post #371 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Wheres the bolded option from?

and whats the western digital symbol from?

From this thread. It's dans new set-up I believe. and the WD logo is the Western Digital HD TV Media Player. Best piece of eguip I ever bought.
post #372 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From this thread. It's dans new set-up I believe. and the WD logo is the Western Digital HD TV Media Player. Best piece of eguip I ever bought.

Oh I see. That's what Dan titled his settings or whatever.

I also bet your locked out options stem from using the WD player.
post #373 of 1481 Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
When the TV is turned off, is the screen black or grey?
post #374 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

When the TV is turned off, is the screen black or grey?

Why would that matter? It depends on how much light is hitting it. With it off (Red standby light on) It will go from gray to black depending on the lighting.
post #375 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Why would that matter? It depends on how much light is hitting it. With it off (Red standby light on) It will go from gray to black depending on the lighting.

I dont understand why the media player would lock out settings on the TV itself? It lets me change anything I want in HDMI-1, and HDMI-3. But not HDMI-2/DVI slot. I'm not exactly sure. Has anyone done the Firmware update? Is it beneficial? Thinking maybe this will repair my issue...?
post #376 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dont understand why the media player would lock out settings on the TV itself? It lets me change anything I want in HDMI-1, and HDMI-3. But not HDMI-2/DVI slot. I'm not exactly sure. Has anyone done the Firmware update? Is it beneficial? Thinking maybe this will repair my issue...?

I'm just trying to give ideas about your setup. The HDMI2/DVI might recognize it differently than the others and lock those settings accordingly. I don't have my manual on-hand (I'll try to look it up) so I don't know what it says exactly about that input, you know?

I have no done the firmware update. I think it has a few fixes but I don't think it's huge.
post #377 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

If the media player is outputting RGB "PC" video (as opposed to YPbPr "TV" video), controls related to color decoding (converting encoded YPbPr, S-Video or Composite to full channel RGB), the TV will sense this and lock out controls that have no function with a full bandwidth RGB input... typically this would be the standard color decoding controls such as Color and Hue/Tint.

If the PN-B works like my LN-A, HDMI 2 is the only input designated to accept "PC" video standards (hence the HDMI/DVI designation). An RGB video signal input to the HDMI/DVI input essentially puts the display in "PC Monitor" mode"... you will not find color decoding controls on the typical dedicated RGB PC monitor, either.

It seems that everything is working as it should.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #378 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM

this is my sammy and my infinity souround sound setup more pics coming give me some feedback good or bad!!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #379 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM

post your pics please I tried to start it up let's go fellas!!
post #380 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

If the media player is outputting RGB "PC" video (as opposed to YPbPr "TV" video), controls related to color decoding (converting encoded YPbPr, S-Video or Composite to full channel RGB), the TV will sense this and lock out controls that have no function with a full bandwidth RGB input... typically this would be the standard color decoding controls such as Color and Hue/Tint.

If the PN-B works like my LN-A, HDMI 2 is the only input designated to accept "PC" video standards (hence the HDMI/DVI designation). An RGB video signal input to the HDMI/DVI input essentially puts the display in "PC Monitor" mode"... you will not find color decoding controls on the typical dedicated RGB PC monitor, either.

You said what I was trying to say.
post #381 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola504boy7 View Post

this is my sammy and my infinity souround sound setup more pics coming give me some feedback good or bad!!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These are blocked for me at work.Use imageshack.us I don't think that's blocked.
post #382 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

These are blocked for me at work.Use imageshack.us I don't think that's blocked.

okay
post #383 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

okay

You don't have to use it. I can't always look at home tonight. Just a suggestion.
post #384 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM

post #385 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 AM

sorry about the big pics above^^^^^^^^^^^
post #386 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Then I guess it is in fact the connection on the tv. It being HDMI/DVI. As it's the only slot not able to change these settings. Thanks for the help. I'm more than benefiting the settings on both other HDMI slots.
post #387 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Guys - I just got a new Samsung PN42B450. I am noticing kind of a drop shadow especially with lighter text on a dark background. It is quite visible when I pull up my cable's TV Guide on the screen. I tried calibrating it by adjusting tint, brightness, contrast etc. but it doesn't seem to completely disappear. It is also very noticable in the text that appears on TV.

I am new at the HD game and need to know if I need to set my tv up properly or if it's defective so I can return it. I sit 10+ feet from it and the lighting conditions in my living room are low to moderate.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
post #388 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime1982 View Post

Guys - I just got a new Samsung PN42B450. I am noticing kind of a drop shadow especially with lighter text on a dark background. It is quite visible when I pull up my cable's TV Guide on the screen. I tried calibrating it by adjusting tint, brightness, contrast etc. but it doesn't seem to completely disappear. It is also very noticable in the text that appears on TV.

I am new at the HD game and need to know if I need to set my tv up properly or if it's defective so I can return it. I sit 10+ feet from it and the lighting conditions in my living room are low to moderate.

These guys will have the answers. But I will say I see this from time to time. If I'm not mistaken, it's the angle the tv is at. Because (and excuse me if i'm wrong) the plasma is behind a glass front. So It's simply just at an angle you're seeing both the plasma display and the glass display?

If I view my tv from the side, I see it also.
Is that what you mean?
post #389 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime1982 View Post

its most likely just IR your seeing is it a ghost like image in the background? i know u said your new to HD thats one thing plasma's have
post #390 of 1481 Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

its most likely just IR your seeing is it a ghost like image in the background? i know u said your new to HD thats one thing plasma's have

Thank you for replying, yes, it's a ghost like image, mostly visible on text e.g. when i pull my tv guide on screen the white text on blue has a black shadow. same with espn hd where there are lots of tickers going on at bottom and on the sides. the picture actually without text seems to be fine.

is it a normal plasma occurrence or is it defective.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page