Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I know these are just pictures, but damn do they look good resolution wise...And it's not even Bluray.
Personally though, I'd pump up the color to make it look more colorful and saturated, up the contrast and especially sharpness. What can i say, i love beautiful vibrant saturated colors and a crystal clear image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 42" version. Do stereomandan's picture settings apply to both the 42" & 50" models?

Thank you.
post #453 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. Unfortunately if anything does happen Samsung won't cover it so I might consider getting the Best Buy warranty (I still have about 28 days to decide).

You definitely want to get the best buy warranty. I have had nothing but good service from them. They came to the house and replaced an older 32" I had with no questions. And every so often my 42" in the living room just happens to "short" out, and it gets replaced. Right around the 4 year mark. Just before the warranty runs out. Weird how that happens.
post #454 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM

I believe stereomandan has a 42" model. I have a 42 and his settings look great on it. You might want to also check out dallows standard setttings they look great also. I like to use dallows during the day when sunlight is shinning in, his is brighter. I use steromandans for everything else.
post #455 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks kanpol!
post #456 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have the Wii Set up to this display or the PS3?
Would be great to see some screen shots to see how they both look, especially the Wii.
post #457 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

I believe stereomandan has a 42" model. I have a 42 and his settings look great on it. You might want to also check out dallows standard setttings they look great also. I like to use dallows during the day when sunlight is shinning in, his is brighter. I use steromandans for everything else.

Just keep in mind dan's set and my set do not match. Even though we have the same model they differ and my standard mode looks like his movie mode. My movie mode is no where near it. So if your movie mode looks a little orange or red overcast, give standard a try. If you look back on like page 7 or so you'll see my standard shots (pictures numbered 1) and dan's movie mode settings. They're pretty close considering it's a picture, etc.
post #458 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Hey dallows the funny thing is on mine when I use your standard settings they look just like yours does and when I use dans movie settings they look just like his. Guess I get the best of both worlds
post #459 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey dallows the funny thing is on mine when I use your standard settings they look just like yours does and when I use dans movie settings they look just like his. Guess I get the best of both worlds

You got the tranny set. Can't decide what it wants to be. lol.
post #460 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Anybody have the Wii Set up to this display or the PS3?
Would be great to see some screen shots to see how they both look, especially the Wii.

I have the ps3,xbox360 and the Wii and they all look great on this tv. Now waveboy in my opinion the wii look good on this tv, you can also buy component cables for the wii to make it 480p, which will look even better
post #461 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the ps3,xbox360 and the Wii and they all look great on this tv. Now waveboy in my opinion the wii look good on this tv, you can also buy component cables for the wii to make it 480p, which will look even better

Component cables are a must obviously.
Progressive Scan and Widescreen are the only benifits of using the Wii on the B450, but i keep thinking resolution wise it will look a bit fuzzier, maybe blown up or more jageddy since its being upscaled to 1024x768... But if it has a great scaler than who knows....Component cables on my 480i flatscreen CRT look fantastic though
post #462 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Progressive Scan and Widescreen are the only benifits of using the Wii on the B450, but i keep thinking resolution wise it will look a bit fuzzier, maybe blown up or more jageddy since its being upscaled to 1024x768... But if it has a great scaler than who knows....Component cables on my 480i flatscreen CRT look fantastic though

I played the wii once or twice on this set. I only used composite though. I don't remember it looking terrible. But I only played wii sports... so...
post #463 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I played the wii once or twice on this set. I only used composite though. I don't remember it looking terrible. But I only played wii sports... so...
post #464 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

This may sound like a stupid question but can anyone tell me what the reason is for the outer panel of glass on plasmas? Is it strictly for anti-glare and protecting the panel itself?
I had a friend who cracked his outer glass so he removed it entirely and said the sceen looks much clearer and sharper now.
post #465 of 1481 Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monktrump View Post

This may sound like a stupid question but can anyone tell me what the reason is for the outer panel of glass on plasmas? Is it strictly for anti-glare and protecting the panel itself?
I had a friend who cracked his outer glass so he removed it entirely and said the sceen looks much clearer and sharper now.

The transparent display electrodes, which are surrounded by an insulating dielectric material and covered by a magnesium oxide protective layer, are mounted in front of the cell, along the front glass plate. Control circuitry charges the electrodes that cross paths at a cell, creating a voltage difference between front and back and causing the gas to ionize and form a plasma. As the gas ions rush to the electrodes and collide, photons are emitted.

An Excerpt from this site:
http://www.answers.com/topic/plasma-display
post #466 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilc3 View Post

The transparent display electrodes, which are surrounded by an insulating dielectric material and covered by a magnesium oxide protective layer, are mounted in front of the cell, along the front glass plate. Control circuitry charges the electrodes that cross paths at a cell, creating a voltage difference between front and back and causing the gas to ionize and form a plasma. As the gas ions rush to the electrodes and collide, photons are emitted.

An Excerpt from this site:
http://www.answers.com/topic/plasma-display

That article is refering to the plasma panel itself which is made up of 2 sheets of glass.
What I am reffering to is the outside glass panel that you can touch. I've looked and really can't find a difinitive answer.
post #467 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

This TV is so tempting to buy, and then i hear 3D capable HDTVs are coming out Next year in March, with HDMI 1.4, 3D Glasses and the new 3D Bluray Players and Blurays coming out...Now 'that' is making me want to hold off
Even though again I'd still opt for a cheaper smaller display like the B450, because again it would be a display that i'd only keep for a couple of years, if even that. Samsung will most likely have 3D 42" 720p sets in March...And i'm huge on 3D, so i might as well wait it off.
post #468 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

This TV is so tempting to buy, and then i hear 3D capable HDTVs are coming out Next year in March, with HDMI 1.4, 3D Glasses and the new 3D Bluray Players and Blurays coming out...Now 'that' is making me want to hold off
Even though again I'd still opt for a cheaper smaller display like the B450, because again it would be a display that i'd only keep for a couple of years, if even that. Samsung will most likely have 3D 42" 720p sets in March...And i'm huge on 3D, so i might as well wait it off.

According to the manual, this TV already is 3D capable, unless the new ones coming out next year use some sort of other technology?
Also it looks like a 3D firmware update is in the works for PS3.
post #469 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post

According to the manual, this TV already is 3D capable, unless the new ones coming out next year use some sort of other technology?

I think the new TV's for next year do use a different 3D Technology, not too sure though, but it sounds like it.
post #470 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Just so you know, there already is a software update that I installed off the Samsung website.
post #471 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monktrump View Post

That article is refering to the plasma panel itself which is made up of 2 sheets of glass.
What I am reffering to is the outside glass panel that you can touch. I've looked and really can't find a difinitive answer.

this is the only thing I have found. I don't see any answer either. If it comes with the tv, it has a purpose. maybe to reflect heat the plasma gives off? I dunno.
post #472 of 1481 Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Anyone else experiment with the cinema smooth option? It might be my imagination, but it seems smoother with it off.

There are some other things I've been noticing about this tv. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence on plasmas, or all tvs including lcds also.

There is a noticeable amount of flicker through HDMI when dynamic contrast is enabled. The screen will flicker (like a quick subtle flash of brightness on then off) every few seconds/minutes at random.

I've noticed a lot of color/gradient banding, such as in skies and other scenery, it's about as bad as my old LCD monitor.

When the screen is white there are a lot of subtle horizontal gray/darkish gradient type lines in the background, I don't think this is the same thing as color banding since the whole screen is just white? I've never seen this before, it's like the screen isn't smooth. It becomes more apparent when something white on screen is moving, like the camera is panning across white clouds, I can see dark lines in the background through the clouds. It's almost like a "clouding" effect except it is with horizontal lines all over the screen.
post #473 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Anyone else experiment with the cinema smooth option? It might be my imagination, but it seems smoother with it off.

There are some other things I've been noticing about this tv. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence on plasmas, or all tvs including lcds also.

There is a noticeable amount of flicker through HDMI when dynamic contrast is enabled. The screen will flicker (like a quick subtle flash of brightness on then off) every few seconds/minutes at random.

I've noticed a lot of color/gradient banding, such as in skies and other scenery, it's about as bad as my old LCD monitor.

When the screen is white there are a lot of subtle horizontal gray/darkish gradient type lines in the background, I don't think this is the same thing as color banding since the whole screen is just white? I've never seen this before, it's like the screen isn't smooth. It becomes more apparent when something white on screen is moving, like the camera is panning across white clouds, I can see dark lines in the background through the clouds. It's almost like a "clouding" effect except it is with horizontal lines all over the screen.

I noticed that even on my old rear projection crt hitachi from about 1998. It was very disturbing so I just turned off dynamic contrast.
post #474 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Dynamic Contrast is just a gimmick that boosts contrast numbers on the spec sheet but has little value in the real world... creating gamma issues and artifacts such as you describe. The first thing a knowledgeable calibrator would do to any TV that had it would be to turn it off.

The banding/lines issue is not normal... I did not notice anything like that at all on my dad's 42B450.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #475 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Dynamic Contrast is just a gimmick that boosts contrast numbers on the spec sheet but has little value in the real world... creating gamma issues and artifacts such as you describe. The first thing a knowledgeable calibrator would do to any TV that had it would be to turn it off.

The banding/lines issue is not normal... I did not notice anything like that at all on my dad's 42B450.

I don't notice any of the issues the poster you quoted mentions and I use dynamic contrast on low. Now the reason I do this is to make the picture look correct, yes correct. Most of you have the luxury of a properly functioning movie mode whereas my set seems to operate a little different. I've gone through calibrations countless times and the only way to get it looking as close as possible is to have it on.

I used to have it on Medium but that might've been a little much. Low seems to be about right. I've tested and it doesn't impact the grayscale at all really when the brightness of the screen changes. The AVSHD (think that's the name) calibration disc from this forum has a nice test pattern for that.

If I'm bored tonight maybe I'll try to redo the calibration with it off to show you what it looks like.
post #476 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just completed the firmware upgrade. I am also using a variation of stereomandan's settings tweaked for my set. I have dynamic contrast set to off and contrast a little lower for the break in period(61) as I am watching full screen content and not using this set for gaming. I am also using standard mode instead of movie as I have only SD content on this set in the bedroom. This seems to give a better picture right now. Once the break in period is over I will increase contrast and change a few settings. As it stands now the PQ is perfect.
post #477 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM

I've been observing the horizontal gray line problem some more, it seems that the faint gray lines are coming from images on the screen, sort of like shadows. If the screen is white, and there are a few words or images, the gray lines in the background appear to be extending from the images. I'm sure there is a term for this. When the object is moving on a white background, the horizontal shadows will move with it.
I've taken a pic, you can see that a shadow extends to the left of the contrast bar, and if you looks at the words below it, they do the same. http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8650/71684965.jpg

Now I'm not really sure if what I thought was color banding is actually color banding. I took a pic but I'm not sure if anyone will notice anything off about the sky. http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1053/44506910.jpg

Even on a completely white background I can notice it doesn't look totally white and smooth. You can't really see it in this pic, it's more apparent when a white/light background is moving http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3307/white2e.jpg

Maybe I'm just focusing too much on the picture and most people wouldn't even notice this stuff?
post #478 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Does anybody know what the firmware update does?
post #479 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been observing the horizontal gray line problem some more, it seems that the faint gray lines are coming from images on the screen, sort of like shadows. If the screen is white, and there are a few words or images, the gray lines in the background appear to be extending from the images. I'm sure there is a term for this. When the object is moving on a white background, the horizontal shadows will move with it.
I've taken a pic, you can see that a shadow extends to the left of the contrast bar, and if you looks at the words below it, they do the same. http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8650/71684965.jpg

Now I'm not really sure if what I thought was color banding is actually color banding. I took a pic but I'm not sure if anyone will notice anything off about the sky. http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1053/44506910.jpg

Even on a completely white background I can notice it doesn't look totally white and smooth. You can't really see it in this pic, it's more apparent when a white/light background is moving http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3307/white2e.jpg

Maybe I'm just focusing too much on the picture and most people wouldn't even notice this stuff?

I see what you're talking about with the 2nd pic of the buildings and the blue sky, with the white **** on the left. But on the last pic of the all white I can't see jack. Try it again totally dark, prob best at night. Could be the camera but that shot also looks a little blue to me. Could be my work monitor as well.

I have no idea what's going on in the second pic of the buildings.
post #480 of 1481 Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I can tell you this, I have had 5 different plasma panels this year (Still have 2 of them) . Each and every one has some flaws like you are describing.
Even my Panasonic 58" PZ800U had some pink hue issues.
None are perfect so dont kill yourself looking for things cause you will find them.
Generally, I am extremely happy with the 50B450 that I own.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page