Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1481 Old 09-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I'll try again later

http://reviews.*******************.c...libration.html

Go to plasmatvbuingguide.com and put "PN50B550 review" in the search box and click on the first link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1481 Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM

I have a couple of questions about this the PN42B450 and blu rays in general. I've noticed that some bluray films I put in have black bars and some don't. Is this normal, and is there a way to take off/add these bars by adjusting some settings? If it helps, I use the PS3 slim as my blu ray player.

Another thing - I recently tried hooking up my Wii using component cables. I set the video output to 480p and widescreen, and to my disappointment, Super Mario Galaxy looked noticeably jaggy. I've read online that reducing sharpness to 0 and turning off edge enhancement solves the problem, but after making these changes, I still think that the game looks much smoother on my old SDTV. Is it just given that Wii games will never look as good on HDTVs?

Finally, just a question on the energy saving options on the TV, and burn in reduction settings on the Wii. Should these both be on?

Thanks
post #543 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM

Hi,

I noticed when watching a DVD yesterday that during the end credits, every time a credit fades in and out, it seems like the TV flashes (turns) off and then on when a new credit appears. If the source has the credits on the same black background, this does not happen. It's a weird sensation. I currently have my HDMI to Break-in settings, including Black to Low, as well as the other BI usual suspects. My source is a PS3, SuperWhite HDMI: On and RGB Full to Limited.

Does anyone else experience this?

Finally, what's the final word on video gaming? I don't do a lot, but do play Rock Band and NHL when friends/family come over? Could anyone recommend approx. play times, etc? We have a party this weekend, and I would feel weird telling people: Sorry, we can't play because I'm in the BI period.

Finally, for the BI period, would you recommend occasionally running the Break-In DVD or High Def Junkies Image Presentation? I'm not interested in speeding up the process, I would rather it happen naturally.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
post #544 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf2009 View Post

Hi,

I noticed when watching a DVD yesterday that during the end credits, every time a credit fades in and out, it seems like the TV flashes (turns) off and then on when a new credit appears. If the source has the credits on the same black background, this does not happen. It's a weird sensation. I currently have my HDMI to Break-in settings, including Black to Low, as well as the other BI usual suspects. My source is a PS3, SuperWhite HDMI: On and RGB Full to Limited.

Does anyone else experience this?

Finally, what's the final word on video gaming? I don't do a lot, but do play Rock Band and NHL when friends/family come over? Could anyone recommend approx. play times, etc? We have a party this weekend, and I would feel weird telling people: Sorry, we can't play because I'm in the BI period.

Finally, for the BI period, would you recommend occasionally running the Break-In DVD or High Def Junkies Image Presentation? I'm not interested in speeding up the process, I would rather it happen naturally.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Direwolf, I posted asking for info on this. From what I gather its the backlight flashing off and on when the screen goes dark during dark scenes, credits etc... This is normal. Am I right in saying that you have your set in movie mode? If you set it to standard, it wont flash. For some reason that I can't fathom it will only do this in movie mode. Regardless, it's nothing to worry about. JoeB
post #545 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and regarding gaming during your BI period. Just tell your guest you are breaking the set in. Belive me there is nothing wrong with saying this. This is your tv, not theirs. YOU ARE THE BOSS. That's what I would do. Cheers, JoeB
post #546 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Hey, Joe,

Thanks for this. Yeah, my settings are on Movie.

Cheers,

DW.
post #547 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM

OK, here are the settings I found for the B550

White Balance Settings
Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33
Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25
Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33
Picture Settings
Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off
Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off
Brightness 56 Gamma: 0
Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto
Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off
Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off
Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto
Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto

These settings give a lot of pop in Movie Mode for me. I set back the color to 50 and tint to G40/R60.

Of all the settings I've tried, I think I like these the best, so far.
post #548 of 1481 Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemmt View Post

White Balance Settings
Picture Settings

These settings give a lot of pop in Movie Mode for me. I set back the color to 50 and tint to G40/R60.

If you can post any pics that would be cool. Same goes for anyone else. Pictures are always welcome.
post #549 of 1481 Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post

I have the RC64 remote and the code for a PN50B450 is 10812. Just search for directv control codes.

I just received my TV and it is awesome. I am following the advice from here so keep it coming.

Thank you so much, I actually had the right code, but didn't read the instructions properly so didnt know about putting 960 in to allow for the TV input option. I am a happy camper now that I can control my DVR, Surround Sound Receiver, Xbox (w/ XBMC) and TV all with one remote.
post #550 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeni View Post

I set the video output to 480p and widescreen, and to my disappointment, Super Mario Galaxy looked noticeably jaggy.

The Wii is a low resolution device, so you're condemned to choose between jaggies and blurriness. If you need more blurriness because you can't stand the jaggies, you'll have to go back to using the composite input, because the component input gives maximum resolution and worst jaggies.

Greg Lee
post #551 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi,

I'm currently in the BI period with my Samsung PN42B450, with Contrast at 50-58, Brightness 45, Dynamic Contrast OFF, Black Level Low, Pixel Shift 2-2-2, Movie Mode, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, it's been about a week, but tonight, we're having a party and I was wondering about game playing? The last time we ran it in Torch Mode was for about an hour and half when we first got it (Dark Knight, 20 minutes of gaming, etc).

The screen is fine, no problems, no gaming since then, just full-screen TV or wide-screen movies (up from 16x9), and running if Slides and Scrolling to speed up the BI period.

For gaming sessions, though, how much time would you recommend? An hour at most? And what Pixel Shift 3-3-1 or more? And, can any damage be done by increasing the Shift rate? Tonight's a special occasion and it's going to be hard not play Rock Band or NHL 09.

Thanks!
post #552 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf2009 View Post

Hi,

I'm currently in the BI period with my Samsung PN42B450, with Contrast at 50-58, Brightness 45, Dynamic Contrast OFF, Black Level Low, Pixel Shift 2-2-2, Movie Mode, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, it's been about a week, but tonight, we're having a party and I was wondering about game playing? The last time we ran it in Torch Mode was for about an hour and half when we first got it (Dark Knight, 20 minutes of gaming, etc).

The screen is fine, no problems, no gaming since then, just full-screen TV or wide-screen movies (up from 16x9), and running if Slides and Scrolling to speed up the BI period.

For gaming sessions, though, how much time would you recommend? An hour at most? And what Pixel Shift 3-3-1 or more? And, can any damage be done by increasing the Shift rate? Tonight's a special occasion and it's going to be hard not play Rock Band or NHL 09.

Thanks!

You should be good to go. You can increase the pixel shift to 3-3-1. It's a good feature and wont do any damage to your set. Even on the odd chance you get a little IR(but I doubt it), it will disappear very quickly with regular watching. JoeB
post #553 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Hey, Joe,

Hope all is well. Thanks for that. Normally, I would wait for some gaming until after the BI period. But, we're having a party to celebrate my birthday tonight, close friends, and I think it will be hard for everyone to stay away from Beatles Rockband.

I'll increase it to 3-3-1 as you suggest. Thanks!

Enjoy the weekend,
DW.
post #554 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I have a couple of questions about this the PN42B450 and blu rays in general. I've noticed that some bluray films I put in have black bars and some don't. Is this normal, and is there a way to take off/add these bars by adjusting some settings? If it helps, I use the PS3 slim as my blu ray player.

Another thing - I recently tried hooking up my Wii using component cables. I set the video output to 480p and widescreen, and to my disappointment, Super Mario Galaxy looked noticeably jaggy. I've read online that reducing sharpness to 0 and turning off edge enhancement solves the problem, but after making these changes, I still think that the game looks much smoother on my old SDTV. Is it just given that Wii games will never look as good on HDTVs?

Finally, just a question on the energy saving options on the TV, and burn in reduction settings on the Wii. Should these both be on?

Thanks

This is what i'm worried about...But, what size is your B450? 42" or 50"?
Obviously the 42" would be the better size for Wii games, as they're 480p.
And of course you get Progressive Scan and Widescreen which your SDTV doesn't have. And definitly turn off those stupid edge enhancments. And I'm guessing the Jaggyness is because of 480p being upscaled to 720p...And it all depends on how far you're sitting from your tv.

At 42", i'd be sitting around 9 to 9 1/2 feet away.
Also did you use Component cables on your SDTV for the Wii? Do you notice any detail loss for wii games on your hdtv? or if it slightly looks blown up?

PS: Are you using Nintendo's 'official' component cables? i wouldn't use any other brand to be honest, people have been saying that they're not as good as the official brand.
post #555 of 1481 Old 09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

The only thing I can guess at is the way the movie was shot. I know for a fact in the Dark Knight there are some scenes that were shot with IMAX cameras so they take up the entire screen, while the other parts are "normal" with the black bars.

Do you have any names of the movies? Are they being played directly from the disc or are they from other means?
post #556 of 1481 Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 AM

Anyone have experience with the HDMI Flicker on an all black screen? It just flickers quickly then will go on to whatever is loading.. ex when you change a channel or on xbox when you start a video then exit back to the main menu?

This thread talks about the issue avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158323 and talks about it being the dynamic contrast. But my tv has this disabled. when the content is actually playing there is no issue at all. Is this just something I should ignore or is there a way to stop this.

Changing HDMI Black Level from Low to Normal fixes this. So I guess the question is, Low with Flicker or Normal without?
post #557 of 1481 Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Is it changing resolution when you change channels/play movies? I know with my directv I have it set to native so it will change to the native resolution to the way it is broadcast so when changing between ABC and FOX it will flicker.
post #558 of 1481 Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 AM

what's the best setting when game mode on? cos when activate the game mode the pic will look a bit darker
post #559 of 1481 Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a search but came up with nothing when it comes to comments on tuner sensitivity on this set. If I get this it would be used OTA only and need something with a good built in tuner. Has anyone compared this to CECB?
post #560 of 1481 Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM

Hi everyone,

So yesterday, with Contrast at 50 and Brightness between 45-50, we watched ET. A little dark, but I can live with that. I'll be glad when this BI period is over. Oh, yeah, my default Pixel Shift is 3-3-1 now. A little aggressive, but we play about 1 hour of video games a week... Rock Band...

Anyway, everything's great, and I've talked to some people here, really helpful, but I have a question...

When I quit ET last night, and it returned to the PS3 menu, I set it to run those slideshow images for BI period. I noticed a slight (faint) IR for the PS3 menu, a couple menu icons, etc, but I only noticed it being really close to the screen. After four images in the show, the IR was gone.

So, is some IR normal during the BI despite the above BI Picture settings?

This has made me a little nervous.

Thanks, everyone.
DW
post #561 of 1481 Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I can't understand all these posts with the color set to 40+

I'm now down to 37 and STILL the colors, while completely gorgeous, are too unrealistically & vibrantly intense. I suspect I'll eventually end up at about 35. (on movie/warm 2)

I haven't done a more thorough Avia-type calibration yet.. still have another 50 or so hours to go on my naturally occurring break-in process, i.e., just watching regularly to get up in hours.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #562 of 1481 Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Hello everyone: I've had a little bad luck with two LCD models---one with a subtle banding problem, the other with flashlighting. So I've decided to try a plasma, and since I can't fit a 50" into the space I have, the 720p Samsung looks like a good option (the Panasonics seem sligihtly too green to me).

I was surprised that I couldn't tell 720 from 1080 at 9 or 10ft away, but that merely confirms what I've read, and that's the distance I'll be viewing from. I don't care for the highly reflective screen, but I suppose one can't have everything.

My question is: what happens to the 1080p Blu-ray signal being transmitted by my Panasonic Blu-ray player to the 720p Samsung? Does the player downscale the signal, or does the TV, and does this create any deterioration in the picture quality by way of extra processing?

The salesman at Best Buy told me that the Samsung would be displaying in 1080i from the 1080p Panny Blu-ray. That sounded a little odd to me. Why 1080i and not 720p, and does it make any difference. I understand that some TVs don't handle 1080i very well. Thanks for any info.
post #563 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Can anyone tell me how this TV compares with the Panasonic TCP42U1? I've heard that Panasonic is much better at scaling Wii games, and considering this one is 1080p, I may be returning the Samsung if it is significantly better.
post #564 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

better than what at scaling wii? this current generation of Samsung plasmas? And how many people have you heard that from?

I strongly suspect that there isn't a whole lot of difference in scaling between the Panasonic and the Samsung. If anything, based upon my collective readings, the Samsung might be a little better but I cannot state this with any degree of certainty.

As far as I can recall, the "U" designated Panasonics have their least effective anti-reflective screen coating among any of their models. If that is not an issue in your room, and you sit close enough to really benefit from a 1080p screen (circa 5ft.for a small 42" screen size) or use it as computer monitor, then go with the Panasonic. Otherwise, for most every other reason, go with this Samsung. Can't go horribly wrong either way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenport47 View Post

My question is: what happens to the 1080p Blu-ray signal being transmitted by my Panasonic Blu-ray player to the 720p Samsung? Does the player downscale the signal, or does the TV, and does this create any deterioration in the picture quality by way of extra processing?

The salesman at Best Buy told me that the Samsung would be displaying in 1080i from the 1080p Panny Blu-ray. That sounded a little odd to me. Why 1080i and not 720p, and does it make any difference. I understand that some TVs don't handle 1080i very well. Thanks for any info.

technically, there is some slight deterioration from the downscale, but it's nothing to worry about as you will not notice it. Too subtle and you would need to be very close if you were to see it at all. A good blu-ray title is still well worth it even downscaled to a 720p screen.

In terms of what the player can output, I'm not sure with that model. I suspect it can downscale to a few different resolutions and I/P. You also have the option of sending out at 1080p and seeing if the Samsung plasma can do just as good or better job at downscaling that resolution to 720p. Probably wont' be much difference either way.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #565 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM

I posted on a gaming forum (because of all the jaggies I got when playing Super Mario Galaxy), and they posted some screenshots of their Wii games on their Panasonic Viera Plasmas. It looked noticeably smoother, and they claimed that Panasonic Vieras have generally superior scaling. I'm not sure if there's much validity to that though.

About viewing distance, that might actually be important, since this is in my bedroom and being able to view at 5-6ish feet would mean I wouldn't have to push my chairs all the way against the wall (which they are now). Glare isn't much of an issue, as my curtains do an amazing job of blocking light.

For reference, I got the Samsung for 770 Canadian. I have up til December 13 ish to return it (as per Costco's 90 day return policy). This Panasonic Viera is on sale at Sears for 980, and the sale ends this Sunday. I'm still undecided - maybe something better will come up during boxing day sales?
post #566 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I'm now down to 37 and STILL the colors, while completely gorgeous, are too unrealistically & vibrantly intense. I suspect I'll eventually end up at about 35. (on movie/warm 2)

I haven't done a more thorough Avia-type calibration yet.. still have another 50 or so hours to go on my naturally occurring break-in process, i.e., just watching regularly to get up in hours.

I completely agree, I've settled on the 38-39 range for color. Anything else is unnaturally oversaturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemmt View Post

White Balance Settings
Picture Settings

Color of 53? Yep, that sure will give a lot of POP, but on my set it is WAY too strong for color. It may look good at first, but I bet after a week or so people would get tired of the overly saturated colors. Those settings look like poop on my set (too strong on color, and too green/blue), but every TV is different. That brightness is way too high also.

Dan
post #567 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, like I said.. the colors looking amazing at those higher color setting numbers, but I guess I just need a little more truth from my display. Not that I'm super anal about calibration issues in general.

Zeni - based upon your further elaboration, I would probably lean towards the Panasonic you're considering. Like you though, still unconvinced on the scaling issue.

post #568 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

... and they posted some screenshots of their Wii games on their Panasonic Viera Plasmas. It looked noticeably smoother, and they claimed that Panasonic Vieras have generally superior scaling.

But the jaggies are really there, because of the low resolution of the Wii, so if a Panasonic plasma doesn't show them, that makes it inferior, not superior. (Unless, that is, the Panasonic calculates interpolated frames, but I don't think any plasma sets do that.)

Greg Lee
post #569 of 1481 Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I've been going by the AVSHD calibration disc so that's where I get my color from. Right now it's at 50 and pretty dead on to the test pattern.

If you're just eye'ing it I can't really see that as anymore accurate. Obviously people will prefer different settings but I wouldn't go as far and say 40+ is over-saturated.
post #570 of 1481 Old 09-26-2009, 12:19 PM

I have an OT question. Is there a Signal Strength indicator on this tv model? How do I access it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page