post #631 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxcallforsin View Post

Do any of you use screen fit instead of the 16:9 setting? I know that the overscan in 16:9 is normal for many televisions but I prefer to see the whole image when playing games or watching blu-ray movies. The only thing that bothers me is that pixel shift is disabled when using this setting. I really like the screen fit setting but I am worried about burn-in so I am frequently switching back and forth between the two. What setting do you use?

I never use any sort of screen fit or zoom setting. And games should be full screen anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Hi everyone,

I've viewed about 100 hours (is that enough?) using the Break-In, Low Contrast, Low Brightness settings, for about a month now, and I wanted to know what people recommended for all-around film and PS3 and TV viewing (in that order of preference). Any detailed settings would be much appreciated?

Also, we have our HD TV Terminal plugged into HDMI 1 on the Samsung. Is there a way, on the remote control, to set the TV button to the HDMI 1 input? I would like an easier way to switch between the HDMI 1 (HD TV Terminal) and HDMI 2 (PS3) rather than always having to select Source and scroll through the selections.

Thanks very much!

DW
post #633 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

You can convert them with a program called mkv2vob.

I actually started using m2kvob like a few days ago. I'm not sure but doesn't it take longer to split the file if its bigger than 4GB though? I have a old single core AMD computer and its not that best for encoding and decoding.
post #634 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryx View Post

I actually started using m2kvob like a few days ago. I'm not sure but doesn't it take longer to split the file if its bigger than 4GB though? I have a old single core AMD computer and its not that best for encoding and decoding.

Not sure how long it would take on an older machine. Sometimes it doesn't even really decode or recode or whatever. It just kinda repacks it under a different extension. I don't really know the specifics though.

Why would you split the file?
post #635 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I never use any sort of screen fit or zoom setting. And games should be full screen anyway.

When using the 16:9 setting with 720p or 1080p content, you lose about 5% of the image on each side of the TV due to overscan (basically it zooms in the image slightly). When I turn on screen fit I can see the whole image and it appears sharper. However pixel shift is lost. How useful is the pixel shift function? Would using screen fit significantly increase my chances of burn-in?
post #636 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf2009 View Post

Hi everyone,

I've viewed about 100 hours (is that enough?) using the Break-In, Low Contrast, Low Brightness settings, for about a month now, and I wanted to know what people recommended for all-around film and PS3 and TV viewing (in that order of preference). Any detailed settings would be much appreciated?

Also, we have our HD TV Terminal plugged into HDMI 1 on the Samsung. Is there a way, on the remote control, to set the TV button to the HDMI 1 input? I would like an easier way to switch between the HDMI 1 (HD TV Terminal) and HDMI 2 (PS3) rather than always having to select Source and scroll through the selections.

Thanks very much!

DW

I use the settings stereomandan posted but with color increased to 50.
post #637 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I use the settings stereomandan posted but with color increased to 50.

I also used stereomandan's settings with a few minor tweaks.
post #638 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Quick question. I have my Xbox 360 connected to my Samsung 42 via VGA. Do I have to use the associated audio input (the one with a single input )? Ideally, I'd like to use the audio input with two inputs (red & white).

Can you re-map, or do I have to venture out to Radio Shack and get a 2 to 1 adapter?
post #639 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

I also used stereomandan's settings with a few minor tweaks.

Hi, everyone...

Thanks very much! Last question, though. I have HDMI Black Level set to Low, but when I was watching the Dark Knight Blu-ray, it set it to Normal and the option was ghosted (could not be changed). Is this normal?

Thanks!
post #640 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When using the 16:9 setting with 720p or 1080p content, you lose about 5% of the image on each side of the TV due to overscan (basically it zooms in the image slightly). When I turn on screen fit I can see the whole image and it appears sharper. However pixel shift is lost. How useful is the pixel shift function? Would using screen fit significantly increase my chances of burn-in?

Are you sure that's correct? What's the point of the overscan test image then? When I pulled it up on my set everything looked as it should. To me, if you zoomed in or used the "screen fit" option it would then lose part of the image. You could even do a simple test. Just pause a scene and flip between the modes from the remote. **** I'll do it tonight.

Pixel shift is there to prevent IR. I'd want it enabled, imo.
post #641 of 1481 Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Are you sure that's correct? What's the point of the overscan test image then? When I pulled it up on my set everything looked as it should. To me, if you zoomed in or used the "screen fit" option it would then lose part of the image. You could even do a simple test. Just pause a scene and flip between the modes from the remote. **** I'll do it tonight.

Pixel shift is there to prevent IR. I'd want it enabled, imo.

16x9 mode actually zooms the image slightly and cuts off a small part of the screen on each side of your TV. The screen fit option shows the entire HD image which is not viewable on most television sets. The majority of televisions have overscan but some have an option to view the entire 720/1080p image just as a PC monitor would. Screen fit is the samsung equivalent of this. Overscan helps hide static and artifacts often found at the edges of HD and SD television broadcast. If it wasn't included with the TV people would be complaining and returning sets because of the static lines at the edge of the screen, but this is just how most television signals are currently broadcast. However there is no real benefit to it with True HD sources such as an Xbox 360 or PS3/Blu-Ray player. All it does is hide the sides of the image. With 16:9 turned on you aren't seeing the entire image. The image is zoomed in slightly and you lose some of the picture. It's mostly noticeable to me in the corners of the television where it seems like more of the image is being cut off. Play a full screen Blu-Ray disc and pause it when there is an object at the side or corner of the screen. Switch back and forth between screen fit and 16:9. You will see what I am talking about. When you take all 4 sides of the image into account you are losing a lot of the picture. The 16:9 mode also softens the image because of the zooming. Samsung recommends leaving the TV at 16:9 since overscan is normal for most television sets, but I have become used to playing my PS3 on a computer monitor and seeing the entire image.
post #642 of 1481 Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Hi everyone,

For HD Cable TV viewing, should I set the HD Terminal to display at 720p or 1080i or 1080p? I know this TV does 720p, but what setting would be better?

Also, the PS3 has a setting to playback Blu-ray at 1080p 24hz - should I enable this option for this TV?

Thanks, everyone.
post #643 of 1481 Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi everyone,

For HD Cable TV viewing, should I set the HD Terminal to display at 720p or 1080i or 1080p? I know this TV does 720p, but what setting would be better?

Also, the PS3 has a setting to playback Blu-ray at 1080p 24hz - should I enable this option for this TV?

Thanks, everyone.

I would set it at 1080p. The set will scale it back to 720. A 1080p signal scaled to 720p will always look better than 1080i,720p or 480 scaled to 720p. Max out everything to the highest resolution possible. You will guarantee the best posible picture this way. JoeB
post #644 of 1481 Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks, Joe.

So I set the HD Cable Terminal to the Automatic default 1080i (1920x1080i). And, I set the PS3 to Automatic, and it set itself to 1920x 1080 (1080p).

Cheers,
DW.
post #645 of 1481 Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

16x9 mode actually zooms the image slightly and cuts off a small part of the screen on each side of your TV. The screen fit option shows the entire HD image which is not viewable on most television sets. The majority of televisions have overscan but some have an option to view the entire 720/1080p image just as a PC monitor would. Screen fit is the samsung equivalent of this. Overscan helps hide static and artifacts often found at the edges of HD and SD television broadcast. If it wasn't included with the TV people would be complaining and returning sets because of the static lines at the edge of the screen, but this is just how most television signals are currently broadcast. However there is no real benefit to it with True HD sources such as an Xbox 360 or PS3/Blu-Ray player. All it does is hide the sides of the image. With 16:9 turned on you aren't seeing the entire image. The image is zoomed in slightly and you lose some of the picture. It's mostly noticeable to me in the corners of the television where it seems like more of the image is being cut off. Play a full screen Blu-Ray disc and pause it when there is an object at the side or corner of the screen. Switch back and forth between screen fit and 16:9. You will see what I am talking about. When you take all 4 sides of the image into account you are losing a lot of the picture. The 16:9 mode also softens the image because of the zooming. Samsung recommends leaving the TV at 16:9 since overscan is normal for most television sets, but I have become used to playing my PS3 on a computer monitor and seeing the entire image.

Guess I was wrong. Had it backwards for some reason. I tested it last night and you're right.
post #646 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Hi everyone,

So this morning I decided to setup the TV with Stereoman's settings, with some minor modifications (Contrast 77, Black Level OFF and Low).

After 125 hours of BI, these settings look great! And, Dan's right, Color at 38 seems more natural, though it's true that certain stations tend to saturate their channels differently, so I can see leaving it at 50.

Cheers,
DW
post #647 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi everyone,

So this morning I decided to setup the TV with Stereoman's settings, with some minor modifications (Contrast 77, Black Level OFF and Low).

After 125 hours of BI, these settings look great! And, Dan's right, Color at 38 seems more natural, though it's true that certain stations tend to saturate their channels differently, so I can see leaving it at 50.

Cheers,
DW

Yeah, considering the differences I've seen between my set and dan's I'm going to stick with what I have now. I don't have an Eye-one or anything to calibrate with, only the AVSHD disc from this forum. So that's what I'm sticking with.
post #648 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

On vacation this week, so have been playing around with my settings to get the best picture, using Dan's settings as a starting point. This what I have. Normally, we watch movies and PS3, but just finished watching HDTV PBS, and it seemed a little dark - mind you, there was sunlight cascading through the room, which only happens for two hours a day. And, we're never home during the day, normally. Most of the viewing is at night:

Movie Mode
Cell Light: 7
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 38
Tint: G47/R53
White (as per Dan)

Adv.
Black Tone: OFF
Gamma: 0
Dyn Contrast: OFF
Color Tone: Warm2
HDMI Black: Low

My wife and I watched some talkshow, and everything looked great, but switching to PBS HD or Discovery HD, things looked a little dark (with sunlight). I'll know more tonight, when we normally watch movies, TV, but any advice? I hear that upping Brightness just ups the black levels, and it should be contrast that is modified?

Finally, for PS3 Settings, should it be:

RGB: Full
Super White: On
BD/DVD Output: Y Pb/CBPr/Cr or RGB or Automatic?
BD/DVD Video Playback at 24hz: 1080p - Off/On?

Thanks!
post #649 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi everyone,

On vacation this week, so have been playing around with my settings to get the best picture, using Dan's settings as a starting point. This what I have. Normally, we watch movies and PS3, but just finished watching HDTV PBS, and it seemed a little dark - mind you, there was sunlight cascading through the room, which only happens for two hours a day. And, we're never home during the day, normally. Most of the viewing is at night:

Movie Mode
Cell Light: 7
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 38
Tint: G47/R53
White (as per Dan)

Adv.
Black Tone: OFF
Gamma: 0
Dyn Contrast: OFF
Color Tone: Warm2
HDMI Black: Low

My wife and I watched some talkshow, and everything looked great, but switching to PBS HD or Discovery HD, things looked a little dark (with sunlight). I'll know more tonight, when we normally watch movies, TV, but any advice? I hear that upping Brightness just ups the black levels, and it should be contrast that is modified?

Finally, for PS3 Settings, should it be:

RGB: Full
Super White: On
BD/DVD Output: Y Pb/CBPr/Cr or RGB or Automatic?
BD/DVD Video Playback at 24hz: 1080p - Off/On?

Thanks!

I might have to go back to earlier in the thread but I believe if you set the PS3's RGB to Full and the TV's HDMI to Low everything will be too bright and kind of washed out.

I went with PS3 RGB at Limited and the TV at HDMI Low. It's a match up of the grayscale or something. I forget exactly. I also set it to Y Pb/CBPr/Cr (I think)

You have to keep in mind that every channel will broadcast differently. commercial to commercial on the same channel might even be different. The best thing to do is use something you know is reliable, like a blu ray movie or something. Then just deal with whatever the normal cable channels throw at you. Which if you stick to HD channels isn't bad usually.
post #650 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks, Dallows.

Just FYI. I see what you mean about Movie versus Standard. I have the same exact set and when I set it to Standard and adjust settings like Dan or yours, I get something that approaches the screenshots you guys provided.

If I leave it on Movie, it just seems a little darker (warmer not brighter). When you set to Standard, did you leave Tone on Normal or set to Cool?

Like I said, I'll have a look tonight, but I just wanted to let you know. Not sure how Dan is getting those results with those settings. Unit to unit (of same model), there are slight adjustments, but they are not that vastly different.

Cheers,
DW.
post #651 of 1481 Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Dallows.

Just FYI. I see what you mean about Movie versus Standard. I have the same exact set and when I set it to Standard and adjust settings like Dan or yours, I get something that approaches the screenshots you guys provided.

If I leave it on Movie, it just seems a little darker (warmer not brighter). When you set to Standard, did you leave Tone on Normal or set to Cool?

Like I said, I'll have a look tonight, but I just wanted to let you know. Not sure how Dan is getting those results with those settings. Unit to unit (of same model), there are slight adjustments, but they are not that vastly different.

Cheers,
DW.

I left the Tone at Normal.

From what I remember, Dan used a physical calibrator but then starting eye-balling it for some reason.
post #652 of 1481 Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi all,

So I was calibrating my set, and I noticed a small rectangle in the center of the screen when watching the Break-in images. It's difficult to see, almost imperceptible, to be sure, but you can see it more clearly with white backgrounds (break-in images). Never noticeable, for me, when watching normally, either BD, PS3, or Cable.

I found a thread on here that mentions it, but even after the person returned their set, they still had it. It seems other people have the same thing, which, in a way, is comforting.

My feeling is this may not necessarily be a defect, but a cause due to manufacturing. I don't believe it's something to worry about it, but was curious to know if others had encountered the same thing?

Cheers,
DW
post #653 of 1481 Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM

I have the same rectangle, have had my panel replaced 3 times for a different reason and it is still there, only notice it when looking for it using breakin slides besides that never see it
post #654 of 1481 Old 10-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would offer people my results. I had the above-mentioned settings (Dan's), but then family members said it was too (yellowed) dark. Once we switched to Dallows' settings, Standard, Normal, etc., everyone agreed those were best.

The only modification we've made from Dallows' settings was Colour = 45 And Color Native.

Cheers,
DW.
post #655 of 1481 Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Hi guys,

New member and 1st time poster here!

I picked up a new B450 about 2 weeks ago from BestBuy, I originally wanted a 50" but the wife wouldn't go
for it... so we settled on a 42". I aint complaning, this is still a good upgrade from a 32" CRT screen!!

I'm about 15hrs into my breakin in process... mostly BD watching in full screen. I had a few questions regarding
this set and hope some of you can help me out. I just DL'd the Evangelos program to move this process
along but I was wondering what are suggested settings while doing this and do you suggest something other
than this?

At the momment I'm using Dan's setting @ post #362 in Movie mode and it looks pretty damn good. I just tweaked
up a few points here and there to better suit my liking but his setting in Movie mode is close to my Standard setting.
So, should I lower these setting down to 40 or 50 for the first 200 hours and should I be using Dan's setting with such
few hours put into this?

Theres something that annoys me a little on this set, I noticed every time I watch a BD and intro's switch in and out
theres always some monitor info that pops up in the upper left corner ? something in a big square that says what the
signal is 1080p etc... is there a way to stop this from popping up all the time ? Its driving me nuts.

And thanks to all of you for this great thread... lots of good info just takes a lot of time to take everything in!

thanks for the help!

Joe
post #656 of 1481 Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 AM

I started using Dan's settings right away with no break-in period and have been gaming in screen fit mode which disables pixel-shift. Have yet to notice any major image retention. I have seen some very slight image retention of a health bar from Street Fighter 4 and the XMB on my PS3 but I had to sit right in front of the TV and look for it. Any retention I had disappeared within an hour of watching full screen video content. Just don't have marathon sessions of gaming and letterbox content and you should be fine. I try to keep my gaming sessions under 2 hours and have my set displaying full-screen video content when I'm not gaming (while at home). Wouldn't risk leaving it on when I'm out.
post #657 of 1481 Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 AM

yeah, I thought of letting it run on some SD channel with no logos on and have it set to screen fit while i'm at work... but I chickened out. With my luck, I didn't wanna come home and find out something went wrong and have some permanent image stuck in there.

But i'm really digging this set so far... I was worried about that Movie mode issue that Dallows was going through on his set. So I was watching Bolt last night and compared Dallows settings (and screen shots) in Movie mode and Dan's setting in Movie mode and I don't seem to have that dark issue Dallows got with his set. I haven't checked the version # on this one yet but will tonight.

Just to mention, I'm running my PS3 and HD STB box straight into the Sammy... nothing else between them.
post #658 of 1481 Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM

Hey guys, I don't watch much tv and found the 50% settings too dark in a lot of films so I decided to run the Break in DVD found in another section of the forum, I ran it for a couple of nights on 50% settings but decided to put it to 95% for last night. It runs a series of slides on a loop so will this break in the tv faster? Perhaps cut it down to 50 hours instead of 100?

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #659 of 1481 Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Not sure how long it would take on an older machine. Sometimes it doesn't even really decode or recode or whatever. It just kinda repacks it under a different extension. I don't really know the specifics though.

Why would you split the file?

I read that the PS3 is based on the FAT32 file system and thus cannot read files over 4GB.

Also I seen a good deal for the 50" B450 for $800 and I got mine for $680. Do you guys think it's worth it to get the 50" for an extra $120? Taxes haven't been included which is 13% in Ontario, Canada

One more thing. I can't find the options to set the PS3 to auto. I only see 480P,720P,1080i, and 1080P. This is in the Display Settings
post #660 of 1481 Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryx View Post

I read that the PS3 is based on the FAT32 file system and thus cannot read files over 4GB.

Also I seen a good deal for the 50" B450 for $800 and I got mine for $680. Do you guys think it's worth it to get the 50" for an extra $120? Taxes haven't been included which is 13% in Ontario, Canada

One more thing. I can't find the options to set the PS3 to auto. I only see 480P,720P,1080i, and 1080P. This is in the Display Settings

I had a 42" B450 and upgraded to the 50" and I like it much better for what I want. Actually I wanted the 50" all along but Best Buy didn't have it in stock, so I took the 42". Just before my 30 days were up I went back to Best Buy and upgraded, paying the difference ($151 including tax); they even threw in free delivery and hauled away the old 42". The major reason besides size to want the 50" is the pixel ratio; the 42" has a 4:3 pixel ratio (forced into a 16:9 screen) while the 50" has a 16:9 pixel ratio, which matches up much better with widescreen material. With the 42" if I set my cable box to output 720p the tv cut off the sides of the picture trying to match the pixel layout; I have no such problem with the 50" model, so I can set my sources for 720p to exactly match the tv's native resolution for the best picture possible.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page